Why do you guys hat electron? I understand that it's fucking huge, but what else is wrong...

why do you guys hat electron? I understand that it's fucking huge, but what else is wrong? if you easily want to make a gui I don't see a problem

Other urls found in this thread:

red-lang.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

fuck, being a phone poster sucks. Hate*

also takes forever to load (since its so huge)

also kind of a personal thing, I expect an installer to have all of the files packed within it, not download them from some server

Bitches don't hate Electron for what it is.
Bitches hate Electron for what it is about to become.

In the future, all programs will have a web gui and operating systems will include native browsers to facilitate it. The entire software industry is (and has already) switching for the worse.

I don't hate it, I don't use it. I use terminals and vim.

I think it is the javascript ecosystem (e.g. arbitrary framework + "ify", npm, performance) and the devs that come with it. If Electron was written in c/c++/rust everyone here would shill for it.

But Qt + QML gives you a better markup language, better performance, cross-platform support, and you can even write in javascript if you fucking want.

>if electron was written in c++
technically it is, i think you meant electron apps

Cause I don't want to load a giant browser and libraries just to run a fucking text editor. Same reason I hate Java Virtual Machine.

What I hate about Electron and other web-related things is that it makes people believe their performance makes sense.

My freaking cto in my previous job thought i was exaggerating when i said that with current hardware text editors should have no problem opening etc a 100mb text file ...

Electron is extremely bloated. My CPU shouldn't hit 100% while I'm using a text editor.

My experience with electron has been two applications: Atom and pgadmin4. Atom is slow as fuck. pgadmin4 not only looks shittier than pgadmin3 (although it is more "modern"), it's also fucking slow as shit, and has a bunch of useless UI transition animations that make it feel even slower than it already is. So this is one very good case where an existing, very functional and snappy piece of software, has become a bloated mess thanks to electron.

Try spending more than $300 on your pc

Kek

it enabled web cancer to spread to places it doesn't belong

great idea as a prototyping tool because web faggots are cheap and you can hack something together quickly to see if an idea has legs, but then they keep fucking using it instead of doing the job properly in qt or other native stuff that won't waste resources and perform like shit

>My freaking cto in my previous job thought i was exaggerating when i said that with current hardware text editors should have no problem opening etc a 100mb text file ...
one step forward (sick new hardware), two steps back (wasting it on web cancer)

it's why old cunts are correct when they complain that old computers were faster and more responsive...

lol are you poor? why don't you buy a cpu made in this century?

hahahha years of coding and years of collage CS and C/C++ gui in the making, some fool fresh outta 6 month 5k course in bay area is taking your job

show me one technology that's better for building user interfaces than the web stack mr. nodev with 0 finished programs to his name

It would be a good idea if every application made using it didn't come with a whole new browser blowing up even the simplest application to some >100 MB monstrosity.

But yeah, other than that it's ideal. You don't need C++ or Java or whatever for the simple shit you need to calculate in most applications. It's just retarded.

>and years of collage
>collage
Looks like you didn't even make through the years of grade school part.

>if you easily want to make a gui I don't see a problem
Electron would make a fine hobby project for a rookie programmer. People push electron as an actual editor, in line with vim or ST. That's when the problems start.

I hate the over use of resources but i cant go back to writing imperative GUIs. React is life

>show me one technology that's better for building user interfaces than the web stack
Qt is common as dirt, probably more so than web bullshit if their claims about automotive use are true

Cocoa is probably my favourite despite how little I use mac. Using Swift it's slick and easy to get stuff done including animation and layout.

Then there's MFC and VCL which are probably older than you and likely still in widespread use as businesses love clinging to old software that still works fine.

That's just stuff I've actually been paid to work with. All "webtechnology" really offers is an easy way for newfags to make resource-wasting flashy bullshit as shown by We used cef for webcancer UI at work and run into performance issues constantly

never going to happen, packaging up nodejs might be tolerable in size but the web cancer part is powered by cef which is 60-90mb of dll plus a bunch of supporting files (source: we use cef and c++ at work)

fug, broken link should be

Dumb phoneposter.

Because there is nothing good about it.

red-lang.org/

^ See this? That language makes it extremely easy to write GUI applications. A graphical hello world is a one-liner. It includes a cross platform GUI framework that allows it to run seamlessly on all three major platforms (using win32 / Cocoa / system GTK as backends). It lets you use pretty graphics. And the entire thing is about 1 MB in total.

The language has other limitations and is somewhat bleeding-edge, but this is what a good high-level GUI framework should look like. There is absolutely no reason why making a CRUD app should require 500 MB executables.

yeah i dont, got 120k/y job, too busy for colege

It is extremely unusable.

Qt filters brainlets because it doesn't reuse all their shit web frameworks

Anything that extends the reach of JavaScript is a mistake

>install atom
>454mb install size
>open 8k txt file
>33% cpu
>1gb disk write

how is this okay?

this, it uses js but not web shit

it looks like an ideal compromise - write the important bits in c++ for speed, the UI in QML and the boring "button is click wat do" logic in js

nicer than writing your own shit and integrating cef for a web-based UI at least

Op here.

So besides the fact that its giant, as I stated, it also takes up a huge amount of resources? It also seems like there are cross-platform alternatives which are simpler to use and don't take up a stupid amount of space. Why do people use electron then? I don't get it. Why does something as large as discord use electron, for example. there needs to be some advantage, right?

>current hardware text editors should have no problem opening etc a 100mb text file ...
bitch, hardware from 15 years ago shouln't, and HAD no problem doing that

our simple goy minds cant even fathom what really moves the world around... idk, perhaps venture captal that funds slack discord et al are stakeholders at hardware as well, the bloat sure does give normies that 90s cyclic need for hardware upgrades... in 2000s it stabilized way too much for our overlords tastes

I use all three and I have a job, go figure.

atom is absolute garbage
literally notepad++ can do the same shit with 1% of the cpu usage

>Why does something as large as discord use electron, for example. there needs to be some advantage, right?
Web developers are cheaper and more common than native-code developers?

Also those products tend to be built as a website first and so electron looks attractive because you can reuse so much shit you've already built