Alcohol consumption by country

Alcohol consumption by country

I am really surprised how dry the Americas are especially south America.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholic_beverage_control_state
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

We mostly drink beer so that's probably it.

The fuck is going on in south korea

They're drinking to forget they're Korean

Drinking rates in the US wouldn't return to pre-Prohibition levels until almost WW2, and the last dry state (Mississippi, unsurprisingly) allowed it in 1966; to this day, there are still many dry counties prohibiting the sale of alcohol.

>eurodrunks

SOJU

People here drink when partying, not all the fucking time like depressed euros.

Drink you soft cunts under the table, embarassing

I actually believed the drunk Aussie meme desu

>tfw mom is alcoholic

Not surprise at all at the US, given our historically puritanical attitude towards Alcohol.

>every 4th Russian is a hobo

>drinking
When will this meme die? Its been like 5000 years

we would be dark red like ireland if not for alcohol taxes. Bastard MPs.

>I am really surprised how dry the Americas are especially south America.
its because the south has actual honest to God dry counties

suprise suprise, dry counties have double the rate of intoxicated accidents too

prohibition never ended for some of the nation...

How can there be no data on Georgia?

Not for much longer when Muhammad gets his way

This is a surprise, thought we'd be higher

Chicagoan here. That yellow in Cook County is because one of the South Suburbs is religious; there are also dry precincts within the city, but that only applies for sales.

Why drink when you can smoke pot

doubt this has the right data from south america
chileans drink a lot
not me because i drive ;-)

Don't forget Alcohol Control states. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholic_beverage_control_state

And our Drinking Age

I thought Argentina was more alcoholic since the most of people start drinking alcohol at 15 years old

This is because we are aware that drinking is bad for you. We drink moderately and smoke weed. We have very low tobacco use too because that shit is so bad for you. If I'm going to damage my body I'll get coke

wtf is up with those religous non drinking. jesus loved his wine

i have been to south america many times. you think you drink a lot, but trust me you dont. it is just not such a big part of your culture

>Why drink when you can smoke pot

For real. I like beer and wine for the flavor, but for actually receiving euphoria pot is way better. No hangover or general shitty feeling, and no brain damage. I used to drink more when I was younger, but I just can't deal with that shit now. A couple shots and I feel like ass.

Basically drinking is a mortal sin (to those people, at least; I'm not religious myself).

This also, smoking is highly frowned upon in American society and often banned in public.

I was horrified when I visited Berlin by how much smoke there is everywhere.

Yeah, it's kinda like the 1950s over there. Ironically the first ever studies to show that smoking caused lung cancer were in Germany, and the Nazis were adamant anti-smokers.

Yea I was going to say, the upper Midwest drinks heavily, I couldn't imagine Europeans drinking more than people in Milwaukee and Chicago do since it's the only thing to do for half the year.

>drunktugal

you have to see that drinking a beer in germany is like drinking a soft drink in the us. its not even excessive drinking, but drinking everywhere every time. at work, lunch, dinner, after class, when meeting friends etc

>2016
>drinking liquid jew
why would you want to feel like shit
why not toke some herojuana

>wtf is up with those religous non drinking. jesus loved his wine

Only if you're Catholic (ie. not the Bible Belt)

ok ok. here in germany drinking wine is part of the protestantic mess too

it is in the midwest here too, but a thimble full of wine on sunday, not a bottle of wine at the door

Is this a meme map? Because for once I can't honestly tell.

>2016
>smoking herbal jew
Hehe, good goy. Remember, it's completely (((harmless)))!

ah yes im sure that definitely wont give you mental health problems

Yeah, also consider Evangelicalism, which is far more prominent in the US, especially among those who as of 2016 routinely go to church.

Here's the real one, Muhammad.

You know, literally any other country could've done this and not be hypocritical.

I guess the OP is right.
>lightweighteveryone

It won't give you mental health problems unless you're already predisposed to them. I guess being inbred means you're at risk, sorry Paddy

Interestingly almost everyone I know is an alcoholic. Either something's off with this map or you yuros drink insane amounts of alcohol

But you were begging to be memed, friend. I actually like Portugal. My grandfather owned a restaurant there for many years.

Fucking South, they always ruin it for the rest of us. We should concentrate on building a wall around them instead of Mexico to contain their miasma of accidental diarrhea, diabeetus and religiosity.

So were you

To be fair in this particular case, Prohibition was a progressive movement, so the North shares equal blame on that. Agreed otherwise.

I don't think this map is totally correct. From personal experience, I can tell you they drink way more in serbia than they do in Ireland.

Ireland and Scotland only have one cultural trademark: Being functional alcoholics who are plastered 24/7

This

"""""functional""""""

Aussies binge drink but wouldn't drink as much during the week as your average euro. Also spirits are far more expensive.

no
in scotland they wear dresses and carry hagis and bagpipes around, while being plastered from the scotch they chugged this morning

irish are just beer in hand 24/7, probably wearing something green

Shit. And I don't drink at all.

Some tourist resort in Algarve. Albufeira, I think.

Ah. Nice place, full of moors, though.

holy fuck i drink less than the average american?

i thought i drank at least average

i drink about 3 times a month but when i drink i average about 10 drinks

that's ~360 drinks per year or 6.4 litres

the fuck is going on in eastern europe?

A beer isn't 100% alcohol, wino.

i would have to get shitfaced every friday and saturday night to even compete with the average russian- i didn't even drink that often in college

i now drink maybe once or twice a month

i did the math- a drink includes .6 ounces of alcohol, i multiplied .6 by 360 and then converted to litres

Yeah, Americans aren't that big on drinking or smoking.

Oh, then show your work!

Dunno, I don't drink, but 3 times a month seems pretty lightweight compared to some of what I see here.

We drink mostly wine and beer though.

yeah that's why im surprised i drink less than average when i drink pretty hard almost every weekend

Alcohol isn't sold on sunday in Indiana

>I don't need to do any drugs, I get high on life!

I don't get how people drink every day. Having a couple drinks does absolutely nothing for me, I need to drink I significant amount to feel good. So if I were drinking every day I'd be a serious alcoholic. I feel like going all out a few times a month is superior to just drinking a little bit every day, but that's just me.

>Drinktoomuchugal

in michigan they only sell it after noon on sundays (like 12:00 you can start selling it)
and no one can sell alcohol from 2am-6am either (ive heard you can buy a special bar or liqour lisence to sell 24/7, but ive never seen a buisness do that besides for one night only (well two, day before thanksgiving and newyears eve)

haha I'm quarter Scotch-Irish, can confirm!

It's mostly just a glass of wine at lunch and dinner. In some rural areas they also drink one in the morning and one after lunch.

My grandpa works on a farm and does this and his liver is spotless despite doing this for 60 years.

It's not about getting drunk, it's basically just juice, if you know how to control it. Obviously college aged people are way worse about it.

It helps to have great wine that's inexpensive and readily available, which is why we get drunktugal. It is truly functional alcoholism.

Beer is also seen as a bit of a feminine thing in the older generations, unless it's just as a refreshment.

Alcohol tastes bad, why would you drink it casually all the time?
It's purely for getting drunk.

same in most of the non retarded protestant denominations

To me it seems like a complete waste to drink for no reason other than the taste. Alcohol is not good for you so if you're going to drink it you might as well get drunk. I'm sure some can drink every day and have no problems but that doesn't mean others won't. I agree with

It's an aqcuired taste. I'm the guy that doesn't even drink, it's just something I've observed.

If you're pressured culturally into it, and it's readily available, you pick it up and keep enjoying it. People that drink every day like I was saying genuinely enjoy it.

i like good beer and good wine

people who say that they like the taste of liquor have to be memeing tho

>not retarded protestant denominations
I assume you mean Mainline Protestants, which are dying out as people either become atheist/irreligious or Evangelicals.

Me if you count mild depression as "life".

Oh you mean that taste alone shouldn't be enough.

Well, people also get drunk here, it's just not during the work week. Red Wine is actually good for your blood and liver if moderately consumed.

I imagine that's the case in many states, 2bh.

Indeed

Russians have the cold climate excuse

>tfw drinking a mendocinian malbec wine right now

HARAAM!

>turned 21
>huh guess i can drink all the beer i want now lol
>put on 30 pounds in a year

I wasn't even a heavy drinker whatsoever, I'd just buy a 12 pack for the weekend because of a football game, the beach, or vacation. Getting properly drunk isn't worth doing more than a couple times a year, I like just getting a little buzz going and either mantaining it or stopping. But yeah no beer for me anymore, or fast food, or overly processed food. More fruit and vegetables, less fatty red met, and more chicken breast and seafood. Lost ten pounds and feel better already and that's even with slacking with my exercise the past week or two.

We drink Low-alcohol drinks.
Soju is world most consume alcohol in the world

I already think people here drink disgustingly high amounts of alcohol, and you're telling me the "first world" "civilized" euros drink almost twice as much?
Bunch of savages

Yeah it's surprising how much of a big deal weed is in Europe, it's much less common and mostly only done by young druggie types or students. Even in redneck weed unfriendly states, regular working class people smoke weed consistently, even if they have families. Of course many drink too, but the drinking culture isn't as heavy as it is in Europe. No pub culture, bars outside of bigger cities are shitholes for bikers, freaks, and people looking for a fight, if you want to drink in a respectable setting you've gotta do it in your living room, at the lake, or at a barbecue. It's weird for grown adults with jobs to hang out at a bar, and everyone regards the people who do this as the sad alcoholic losers they are.

Plus there's a ton of land and suitable climates to grow weed outdoors and be able to keep it hidden from the cops. And of course all the states with either legal weed, mmj, and decriminalization.

My grandpa drinks exactly one glass of port wine every night and no other alcohol, he's 90 and in great shape. Is there actually something to the whole "glass of wine a day keeps the reaper at bay" meme?

I'm almost like a skeleton, bu then I've never drank.

Slavic and Celtic peoples have a higher than normal alcohol tolerance. Amerindians have some of the lowest.

>regular working class people smoke weed consistently, even if they have families
Sup, Colorado.

Disputed, I've heard that a lot of it is because the type of people to drink Wine are the type to already be in good health.

there's actually a huuuuuge drinking culture there, they can tolerate it i guess. they're recently getting more into craft beers but it's mostly shit like soju and gimmicks like yoju

that being said i like yoju.

No, Florida. I know a cop who smokes weed, my dad and uncles smoke weed, and alot of my friends parents in high school smoked weed. Not hippy types, just normal everyday people who smoke a joint when they get home from work and before they go to bed.

>I know a cop who smokes weed, my dad and uncles smoke weed, and alot of my friends parents in high school smoked weed. Not hippy types, just normal everyday people who smoke a joint when they get home from work and before they go to bed.