wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
gentoo.org/downloads/

>Debian (NET ISO)
debian.org/CD/netinst/

>Void (Hipster but works)
repo.voidlinux.eu/live/current/

>Alpine (Pretty damn minimal)
alpinelinux.org/downloads/

Get recommendations to see if your system is bloat or not (Also post screenshot)

>DE/WM
>Video/Music player
>Image viewer
>File Manager
>Text Editor
>Shell
>Web Browser
>Terminal

What is software minimalism?
suckless.org/philosophy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

Beginners guide to GNU/Linux minimalism

1) Get comfortable with the terminal and learn terminal commands. Practice makes perfect.

computerhope.com/unix.htm
computerhope.com/unix/overview.htm
computerhope.com/unixtop1.htm

2) Try one of the listed GNU/Linux distros inside a VM (Virtual Machine) before installing it on real hardware

3) Ask questions in the thread.

If you use Arch, Manjaro, Ubuntu, Mint , Antergos, Solus, Fedora or any other of the thousands of BLOAT GNU/Linux meme distros. Don't bother posting in this thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System#Retrieve_PKGBUILD_source_using_Git
debian.org/CD/netinst/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How about we go the minimalism route with theses threads? Don't need one every god damn day. They don't even get to the post limit.

They have. There were like 6 threads that got 200+ replies and one with 300+.

This threads are my new favorite generals!

Why would any sane human bean use Alpine on the desktop?

For security!

I am really tempted to try out alpine. It sounds 2x better than void, gentoo and debian

>2007+10
>still thinking the distro dictates the bloat you are using
Senpai...

Do you use LFS or some shit?

>tfw you discover asp and start to debloat your system

asp?

Short for aspergers

It's for cloning from Arch git so you can modify PKGBUILD to use your own compiler flags and configure flags which can be used to remove dependencies you don't have a need for.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System#Retrieve_PKGBUILD_source_using_Git

Sounds tedious. I'd rather have a "bloated" system than subject myself to that shite.

You are a funny guy

I tried to install an Ubuntu Net ISO with UEFI, it only seems to run in BIOS or emulated one. How can I fix this?

You can't. Wonder why the iso is only 58 mb? It's shit. Just use try debian (net iso) inside a vm and get the hang of it

Thank you user. Any suggestions for VM software under Windows and Linux?

Windows vmware. On gnu/linux Sup Forums recommends some shit i forgot. I think it was kvm? idk

Fedora 27
GNOME
MPV/mpd
eog
nemo
vim/gedit
firefox
gnome-terminal

so i'm probably going to be getting a little netbook soon (an HP Stream 11 to be exact)

I've used arch mostly in the past and generally looking for something similar in terms of installation and updating. I'm not looking for ultra bleeding edge, but i do want something that isn't still running 6 month+ versions of important packages because "muh security"

How is Alpine on the matter? i've been browsing their website and it doesn't offer much information about it.

I run slackware on the hp13 which I think has the same hardware. Can't comment on alpine or any other distros.

how's the driver support for wifi?

last netbook i had my hands on had me jumping through hoops compiling specific versions to get it to work, and support was shoddy at best

>minimalism thread
>Debian (NET ISO)
>Not Devuan

Devuan failed.

Reposting WM ram comparison

Reposting Arch Copypasta:

Arch has never been a minimalist distribution. Splitting packages is rare compared to other distributions, and dependencies aren't made optional whenever possible. Arch has *never* been minimalist... a Linux kernel with every module available and every feature enabled at least when there's no non-bloat related cost, feature-packed/complex GNU tools, nearly all optional features enabled across all the packages, etc.

>pacman is fast but not safe, it tends to break shit and config protection is implemented in a terrible way
>there is no official process to verify that a package is stable within the distro, in other distros a lot of packages are in a testing repo despite that specific package's developer claiming it to be stable on its own, because it might not be stable within the environment of a specific distro
>a lot of AUR packages pull from upstream, which means they could be very unstable
>(arch vs gentoo related) arch users complain about muh compile time when it comes to gentoo, while in fact they compile a lot of AUR packages themselves, namely the *-git packages that pull the source from a git repo
>but it gets even better: they only compile a handful of packages, and those not being libraries mostly, the self-compiled packages get linked against precompiled libraries from a different setup (e.g. different optimization levels), which can then cause even more instability because it's a clusterfuck of unequal shit
>arch uses (((systemd))) and switching to something else is hard
>apparently the vim package on arch pulls in X, so if you want to have a fancy terminal text editor on a headless server, you to install a shit ton of GUI stuff you'll never need nor use
>maintainer told the guy who complained to just symlink vi to vim (vi is inferior)

Reposting my autistic rant

The thing for me when it come to this is that I'm kinda disgusted by the amount of bloat in popular applications and environments.

Let's take the picture viewer as an example. What does it do? That's right! It views pictures! We have also seen picture viewers that can run with very tiny amounts of ram, and do their job pretty well. Why then should we be using a picture viewer that does the exact same practical thing as this minimal picture viewer, but is 10+ times heavier?

I've heard this a lot, the whole "lel just get a newer computer grandpa!"
I'd like to let you know that I use minimal setups both on a 2012 Fagbook Pro, and a Xeon workstation being used as a desktop. Both of these have 16+ GB of memory.
What you have to understand is that just because we have the resources, doesn't mean it's right to use them to the limit. Why should we artificially use more resources for the same tasks just because we have the capability to do it. That's retarded. At that point we should just rewrite the kernel in electron because clearly anyone who has a problem with that just needs to download more wam.

Another key component for me is that achieving a high level of minimalism often involves switching to a vey terminal-heavy lifestyle. This is good as it provides a universal interface. The interface used to shitpost, consume content, and whatnot, is the same interface that would be used when administering a server, when configuring my NAS, when working with Amazon EC2 installations, etc.

Why do you hate keeping things simple? Why do you want things to use more resources than they have to to complete their function?

>Post:
>>OS
Void
>>DE/WM
i3-gaps
>>Video/Music player
mpv/ncmpcpp
>>Image viewer
feh
>>File Manager
ranger
>>Text Editor
vim
>>Shell
bash
>>Web Browser
firefox
>>Terminal
urxvt

>>Debian (NET ISO)
>debian.org/CD/netinst/
Nihha, that shit installs 1000 packages off the bat

Am I bloated? I just did a fresh install using the net install you recommended, and the DE you recommended

>only 300packages away from xubuntu
seems pretty bloated my man

for

>OS
Alpine
>DE/WM
i3
>Video/Music player
mpv
>Image viewer
eye of mate
>File Manager
pcmanfm
>Text Editor
nano
>Shell
ash
>Web Browser
firefox
>Terminal
xterm

Xfce is bloat. Use a window manager like dwm. Next time uncheck everything and don't install anything when it asks you to install shit.

I reallly want to try alpine. Tell me some pros and cons user. I know void is hipster but alpine seems pretty solid

I just installed it yesterday, so I can't exactly give you a review but it seems pretty nice. I was surprised to find that it doesn't keep copies of the packages you add; it downloads, installs then deletes them, apparently. If you're on a very metered connection (like me), that can be a problem if you reinstall something but it's a plus for limited disk space.
I've got my stuff working, and i'm finally learning a bit as opposed to just rolling with ubuntu or some shit.

>10.1"
>1.1kg
>8h+ battery life
>touch screen
better get a minimal device

what is eCorp Linux?

Qemu?

Short for Evil Corporation, it's a reference to the highly criticised and mocked TV show "Mr. Robot"

it's my LFS based loonix

Gentoo and Void does not use Systemd by default. Many other distro does not have the possibility to remove it.
What's are the main drawbacks of a system without systemd? Why so many distro are so dependent by it?

Only drawback of void I’ve encountered is I can’t get the bluetooth daemon to start looking up a bluetooth keyboard on login screen (gdm).

There are no drawbacks, but systemd’s fuckhuge and a million packages, mainly DE’s, depend on it so they drag systemd in.

tl;dr: limits your package repository

>linux
>minimalism
... the absolute state of Sup Forums

>removed 500 mb of binaries and libraries that dont even get loaded.
>I can feel the difference in speed!!
This thread is pathetic.

>tfw he doesn’t live in an 8m2 perfectly white perfect cube with a white mattress on the floor, an electrical stove level on one side and a Jony Ive TM molded glass toilet on the other.
>tfw he has a ”com-pu-ter”
Let me guess - you ”need” more

>hurr durr ad absurdum
The shitty mess can't be salvaged no matter your (or anyone else) efforts. Linux ABI is disgusting bloat, so is GNU, so is pretty much every protocol that is common in linux desktop (dbus, wayland, x, ...).
Linux can't be called minimalistic even if you run only the tiniest possible kernel configuration. It's a huge blob of disgusting shit-tier code, a security nightmare where no amount of C expertise can save you from doing silly but fatal mistakes because the creator thinks he never makes them and, even if other contributors do, he thinks these don't matter. Even shitty BSDs are better, despite only fraction of effort being put into them.
If you want minimalism AND usable desktop, you're out of luck. L4 family is nowhere near having desktop userland.

So basically portage?

>it's been weeks since the first of the regular GNU/Linux minimalism threads
>people are still butthurt about it
just hide and ignore mate, it's not that hard.

most of us are aware that in terms of plain unusability plan9 and it's forks take the cake friend. there's absolutely no need for your daily spergout

>OS
Gentoo
>DE/WM
Enlightenment
>Video/Music player
Enlightenment
>Image viewer
Enlightenment
>File Manager
Enlightenment
>Text Editor
Enlightenment
>Shell
Enlightenment
>Terminal
Enlightenment

Alpine is not GNU/Linux.

I'm not butthurt about minimalism thread. I'm bored of the same old shit here every single time. Everyone runs linux, at best some BSD.
But oh well, here goes my linux setup (chromebook)
>Nixos
>Xmonad
>?
>?
>bash,emacs
>emacs
>bash
>emacs,lynx
>termite

>OS
Debian Stretch
>DE/WM
i3
>Video/Music player
mpv/ cmus
>Image viewer
feh
>File Manager
ranger
>Text Editor
vim
>Shell
zsh
>Terminal
urxvt

ZSH is bloat, use mksh or ash

use ksh93, faggot

I'm probably going to offend some people in here. But I'm fine with having some bloat on my system.

i have a hp stream 11, it uses a funky broadcom wifi chip (BCM4314 or BCM4312 off the top of my head) and needed nonfree firmware for ubuntu. i could never get alpine to install on it, the disk partitioner didnt work for me. im trying void on it in the next few days, and i can tell you how thats goes if you like?

Literally your setup is a 9/10. Just change your shll. ZSH is really bloat.

The real redpill is to never use wifi. Wifi is actually pretty slow and insecure unlike ethernet. Only a few can swallow this redpill.

whilst you are correct, the laptop in question has no ethernet port unfortunately

>Wifi 1-2Mb/s (yes small b)
>Ethernet 10+Mb/s
My old man still thinks wifi is faster because 'it's newer technology' and blames streaming services for laggin HD streams. He uses a Desktop and it's less than an arms length away from router.
"That's all theory shittery you learned in university, they have fancy everything down there"
I don't know about alpine, but I remember having partitioner issues because of the uefi/bios partition thingie and the way the Bios booted with an old Desktop. As in the partitioner couldn't do anything, it was weird, byt after looking stuff up I ended up with going back to the bios settings and figuring out how windows did all that in my install.
But hey, that's all I can say with "partitioner didn't work for me".