Give me one (1) reason to ever upgrade from Sandy Bridge

Give me one (1) reason to ever upgrade from Sandy Bridge

Other urls found in this thread:

overclock.net/t/1571271/tutorial-how-to-add-nvme-support-on-any-ami-uefi-bios-with-an-intel-chipset
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There is none. CPUs made in the last seven years are fine for 2017 and will be fine until 2020. Unless you are a child who plays video games.

An i3-8100 - a barebones kaby lake i5 locked - has more processing power than your ancient sandy bridge. Plus, you're stuck on a mobo with inferior Ddr3 Ram.

Ryzen

Even as a gamer it's less and less of an issue. I have a 5 year old cpu and a 1060 and it runs every game at 90+ fps at 1080p.

What the fuck are you talking about?

It's literally the opposite, if you use your CPU for anything but video games you will see a large performance increase going from Sandy Bridge to current architecture. For video games it doesn't really matter too much, although Sandy Bridge is a bit old but Ivy-Bridge is still pretty good.

Still use my i5-2500k and I don't even overclock. Haven't found a need to upgrade yet.

You can upgrade if you are a good consumerist.

There really isn't much reason. My 2600k is still going strong.

Its my GPU that's not aged so well. Though that raises the issue of having Gen 2 PCIe on sandy bridge.

Multithreading. Not first gen ryzen though, RAM issues.

none my friend, we're all gucci.

dont even upgrade.

Not him so pls no bully. What are the gains of a newer architecture? The only one I'm aware of is h.265 decoding. I'm rocking an old ass i5 but with a SSD and 24GB of ram everything opens almost instantaneously, and my system never hangs.

I just upgraded to sandy bridge, it should be fine for most thing for at least 5 years

Better integrated graphics.
And slightly lower power consumption. And 14 nm techology vs 32 nm, because you everyday delid CPU and etch it in acid to see the difference

I don't get it either. I think my current laptop uses Sandy or maybe Ivy bridge quad core, and it's able to handle several browsers with multiple tabs, a few Virtual Machines, and light gaymen all at the same time with no real issue other than heat, but the heat issue is probably just because it's an aluminum Fagbook Pro
I think my desktop has like a Sandybridge-era Xeon, and it's able to handle any game I throw at it.

All those kids got shot man. You really wanna be a part of that?

If you are actually computing anything or really doing anything but playing games, you will see significant performance gains in all aspects.

I give you (2) reasons:
- new processor generations use low power and are very cool
- the features like video encoding/encoding etc are really useful and work well

I just upgraded from Sandy Bridge mobile to a new windows 10 laptop with SSD and Kaby Lake processor.

Shit is awesome. The fan is basically off all the time, even when livesteaming non-demanding games on twitch, thanks to hardware video decoding and encoding features.

Windows 10 seems to make really good use of these features.

Seriously, the only time the fan is even on is when Firefox crashes or something.

There really isn't. I have an ivy bridge and its still running strong OC'd at 4.2ghz

Depends on what you do. Facebook/Internet/email/don't play latest games or do much video/photo work then you ain't got a reason to upgrade. You'd be throwing your money away. If your pc does what you do now fine and you don't plan to play new games then stick with it. Who cares if you use Windows 7? It works don't it? Stick with it. Same with your hardware, if it still works, keep the shit. Sit back and laugh at people and they unstable shit piles of spying crap systems while you go on about your life with your nice stable, just works system. There's more to life than wasting it fooling with Tech all the time, yes its nice, yes it's fun, but when it just werks and you got time to do other shit is priceless.

>Give me one (1) reason to ever upgrade from Sandy Bridge
If you want a faster computer, like most non-retards want after a couple of years

your argument would be true if any of the gains were appreciable

Because intel cpus are backdoored, unless its a solely gaming rig, wait til snapdragon becomes a thing

>Because intel cpus are backdoored
t. retard that doesn't know what ipmi is

>new processor generations use low power and are very cool
>going from soldered die to toothpaste
>very cool

I recently had this same problem and ended up buying an 8700k. But only because I got one for $340. It's good to have a friend at Micro Center though I did drop about $700 after RAM and Board with his employee discount

It feels good but it definitely is not needed

Twice the performance isn't enough for you?

Ivy Bridge here, I'm holding out for a 10nm 8core before I move to a new MB and RAM

Still running an e6600 and not even thinking about upgrading anytime soon.

its sad how little processors have advanced in a decade.

Because Sandy Hook allows the execution of more child sums.

How would you have liked them to have advanced?

sandy bridge doesn't support booting from PCI-e SSDs

follow moores law would be cool

About as much as the decade between the Pentium MMX and the Core 2 Duo

Sandybridge can function as a heater for winter

It's a 32nm space heater.

orly? 2600k 4.5 undervolted 16C on idle, 39C on load. cheap AIO cooler with two low rpm fans strapped on in push pull.

Very cool as in the die runs cooler due to smaller size, superior lithography and other miscellaneous optimisations. The transfer of heat from the die to the cooler is the part that has taken a step back thanks to toothpaste.

>ever
For more performance and less power consumption.

Let me rephrase that question a little though-
>Should I upgrade from a 2600/2700K desktop now?
No.
>Should I upgrade from a 2500K now
Possibly, but even to a 2600K would see you a few more years.
>Should I upgrade from Sandy Bridge mobile CPU of any variety
Yes, unless you're literally plugged in 100% of the time (why have a laptop?)

>windows problems

>going from soldered die to toothpaste
according to some fag in /pcbg/ intel's jizz while bad at transferring heat does a consistent job of being terrible for years though he might have just been a shill

not to mention the gaymen gains

clock per clock it's on par with the 7700k and the 8700k gets 30% boost over that by having 4 MORE THREADS.

i9 does a better job though.

The improvement is not really impressive to me. After almost a decade, I'd expect like double or triple or quaduple the performance or some shit. Those numbers even on the bottom one look pretty solid too, hitting over 100fps on average and still staying above 60fps at minimum.

>clock for clock it's the same
>the graph literally shows 6700K beating 4790K at 200mhz less
No, it isn't you tool.

Math, done.

Q6600 to 2500k was 5 years difference and it had pic related of difference. January will mark 7 years since the 2500k, so I'd say the performance gain is relatively similar. CPU has never been that important for gaming performance since we moved to accelerated graphics.

agree, i'm still using 2500k desktop but upgraded to kaby lake laptop in early 2017

wrong comparables. if your talking q6600 compare it to 2600k and again compare it to a 8T 8 series

I upgraded from a Q6600 to a Ryzen 1600 and my life improved hugely.

I also installed a SSD.

welcome to 2011

Is sandy bridge good for laptops? Like the t420? Newnigger to tech here

Which Ssd do u have user?

I am a gay-mer, and I would never upgrade from my i5 2500k

It performs alright for laptop use, but it eats power.
If you're never going to use it on the go and will leave it plugged into a wall socket all the time - it's fine - but why not get a desktop instead?

If you're intending on mobile use, no - it's a bad buy today.

sandy bridge laptop is decent if you replace HDD with SSD, but need 6-cells or more battery for decent battery life

i7-2860QM here, works fine for me
16GB RAM and an SSD

nope, im a child who plays vidya and it still works fine for me

i got a haswell chip for free
[spoiler]i still shouldve stuck with my old phenom ii because i didnt want to buy a board and ram, but whatever[/spoiler]

It's alright

I've had some acer laptop
I3 2330m (2c4t 2.2Ghz) and nvidia gt540m and could game surprisingly well

>2600k @ 4.6Ghz
>GTX 1080
>1440p

No need to upgrade for 2-3 years, likely will do a completely new system.

No passthrough/IOMMU on 2500k.

Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge performance are near identical. Not to say, Ivy Bridge have TIM inside so it OCs worse than Sandy Bridge, unless we compare SB-E with IB-E. Your last statement does not make sense.

So what? Twice as fast is still twice as fast. Why do you care what internal improvements cause it?

>16C on idle, 39C on load.

do you live in a literal shed?

>tfw i3 3220

I don't want to dish out $200 for a fucking SECOND HAND i7.
It's absurd how bloated those prices for them are. Fuck that, I guess I will wait until I change the complete system instead of buying a different 1155 cpu.

/thread

Dont have one, currently on 2500k. Waiting™ for 7nm Zen 2

What large difference are we talking about? Even Intel Core i7-950 is sufficient enough for a professional recording studio. The more processing power the better, especially for CPU heavy tasks like DAWs. You couldn't get a better example, because GPUs are irrelevant in that particular use case.

there is no difference. that poster is a fucking idiot. for your average workload (browsing, media consumption, light productivity etc) there is zero improvement over sandybridge with an SSD. unless you are encoding 4k 24/7 there is no benefit.

I use mine for this. Saves me loads of money.

Same here, I haven't played a game yet where my 2600k stopped me from getting over 60fps.

And I'm not even overclocking.

I'm running dual 2670, i guess i never will upgrade.

overclock.net/t/1571271/tutorial-how-to-add-nvme-support-on-any-ami-uefi-bios-with-an-intel-chipset
There's an easy fix for that.
clock for clock the gains are minimal and you will have to delid ivy at the upper end. But Ivy IMC is generally betterallowing for 2400< ddr3 and has native pci 3.0.

I would say sandy is better for your average air cooled rig but if you wanna get xtreem, ivy is the better rock

What mobo? I want the 2 cpu meme too but dual socket boards are expensive.

I can trade my 2600k 8Gb for a ryzen 1600 8 Gb for 50€
man thats tempting
WHAT SHOULD I DO ?
oh i also want a semi passively cooled pc
which my i7 kinda does but the 1600 would do so better

how long do the x220/t420 last unplugged?

There is none. The field hasn't advanced substantially in the recent years.

whats the difference between the 2670QM on thinkpads and the regular version?

Intel ME spy and remote access control backdoors

Better downgrade to a FX-8370 overclocked to 5Ghz fag or be part of the botnet

>I just upgraded from Sandy Bridge mobile to a new windows 10 laptop with SSD and Kaby Lake processor.

The speed increase you are experiencing os solely due to the SSD you stupid idiot, I have an older q6600 with four SSD's in raid 0 for boot (not storage) and have 2 GB/s speeds. Your new system would feel slow in comparison if it does not have a NVME 3GB/s drive in it.

Only with encoding, games and compiling etc will you notice any difference browsing gaybook, youtube etc

My 3470 is still perfect, I'll keep it for another 2-3 years at least.

That CPU is still solid if you aren't playing games, could easily last a few more years.

My previous laptop was sandy bridge i7-2630QM.It gets very warm and I had given up with the heat issue.It feels like I'm typing on a warm stove.

Earlier this year I bought 7th gen Kaby Lake i5 7200U.It is so much cooler and more comfortable to use.

Indeed, the price is still quite high on them. I would have a bought a 3770 if it wasn't.

Meanwhile in reality you can't see benefit outside specific benchmarks even when changing from SATA II SSD to NVME SSD but almost everything is actually single thread CPU dependent.

You currently arent overclocking so a Xeon e3 1275 would be like a locked i7 and a noticeable upgrade for only 100

Go for it but expect to get better ram or get good at ram overclocking

Fuck, user, that could be the solution.
You made someone really happy today. Thx

Even with faster DDR3 ram my 2500K felt lacking compared to my 1700X.
I don't think I would have upgraded if I had a 2600K though

Any form of CPU rendering is shit compared to the newest generation

die phoneshitter

I'm still perfectly happy with my i5 4670k and GTX970. Might be time to upgrade to 16 GB of memory though.

die phoneposters

...a hypothetical processor with 50% more performance per clock, or a widespread usage of massively threaded applications.

kek

So 0.2ghz to 2.4 ghz? That would be from 2.4 to approx 25ghz - raw performance wise.

Impossibru mate. There is a hard limit how fast you can make an execution of a series of commands and there are hard a circuit can be clocked.

Surprise - we are at the limit of current tech. If Jewtel couldn't push the clock/IPC further in spite of billions spent, then it just might be impossible.

What a fucking toxic boards. Why everyone here has to be condescending consumerist whores?

>tfw the same laptop
Upgrading to i7-2860qm soon for that sweet 3x performance boost.
We 2000's again.