Sup Forums - Gentoo General

/gg/ - Gentoo General

gentoo.org
Quick Install: wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Quick_Installation_Checklist
Quicker Install: chiru.no/u/installgentoo.txt
Prebuilt Gentoo image and binhost: ca.cloveros.ga
Packages: packages.gentoo.org
FAQ: gitgud.io/cloveros/cloveros/blob/master/FAQ.md
IRC: #gentoo on irc.freenode.net | #cloveros on irc.rizon.net (all questions or help welcome)

Come here for help or general questions, post your configuration, discuss packages or overlays, CloverOS, post your desktop, anything else Gentoo, etc. Newfriends welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

gpo.zugaina.org
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Wtf is all this webm spam

I have a Haswell i7-4790K running gentoo and I switched to the new 17 profile and reemerged world which needed to rebuild about 200 packages and it compiled everything including plasma desktop profile in a couple hours. "muh compile time" is just a meme.

I only watched the first few seconds of the first webm and it looked like a tutorial booting up into a kubuntu livecd and starting to download stage3 so its presumably a series of video tutorials on how to install gentoo.

gentoo installation in webm

Give me 1 reason why I should switch from Arch to Gentoo.

4.14.7 has been marked stable

I run Gentoo myself and how the fuck can someone be retarded to the point they need to watch a video to understand how to install it?

Are you even able to build Firefox nightly before they release a new version?

?

>I run Gentoo myself
>how the fuck can someone be retarded

top kek

Then why do I show it not unstable keyworded?

OpenRC or Systemd for a desktop computer? Why?

there's none.

they'll all praise openRC because installing gentoo with systemd is more complicated and they can't find a tutorial with screenshots

packages.gentoo.org is notoriously buggy and slow. It frequently stops updating for hours, or even days

I was thinking to install it with Systemd and musl libc, but I need feedbacks... don't really know if its the right choice

Can any bash lords help me with this ebuild?

# Copyright 1999-2017 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2

EAPI=6

KEYWORDS="~amd64"
DESCRIPTION="Ontology Creation Software"
HOMEPAGE="protege.stanford.edu"

SLOT="0"
LICENSE="BSD 2-clause"

SRC_URI="${DISTDIR}/Protege-5.2.0-linux.tar.gz"

RDEPEND="virtual/jre"

S="${WORKDIR}"

pkg_nofetch() {
einfo "Ensure Protege-5.2.0-linux.tar.gz is in \"${DISTDIR}\""
}

scr_configure(){
econf --with-popt
}

src_install() {
local dir="/opt/${PN}"
insinto "${dir}"
}

It emerges and installs but to an empty directory (/opt/protege)

>How long does it take to build something like firefox, chromium or libreoffice? Is it even worth the time?
about this long
% time emerge libreoffice
real 30m59.148s
user 377m55.037s
sys 28m56.505s

Use "ebuild" to run the compilestage or later and check how the directories in the sandbox end up looking.

Thanks, I've been trying to follow the guides on the wiki but I'm a total novice. I'm not actually compiling this from source, the tar.gz is just a compressed binary.

Alpine vs gentoo
Go

Gentoo

I just noticed that lxqt is marked stable (last time I checked a long time ago it was still unstable ~arch). I just emerged it and first impression it works pretty well. Its obviously much much more lightweight than plasma. Hopefully first impression rings true and its remains good without running into any problems.

[ebuild NS ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.14.7:4.14.7::gentoo [4.12.12:4.12.12::gentoo] USE="-build -experimental -symlink" 98,611 KiB

Should I? I'm kinda inexperienced with kernels and always end fucking something up

What the release number in profiles means? Isn't it rolling release?

Would you recommend mint or gentoo for a semi newb like me?

If you want to learn Gentoo

Portage

everthing

Any overlays that are particularly worth checking out?

Anything you need from gpo.zugaina.org

The profile changes when there's a major change in the build system. In this case, it was the new C++ and PIE. It gives you a chance be aware and to update your system.

17.0 will be around until there's some other major change.

13.0 and then 17.0? Where's 14, 15 and 16?

I guess I will go for 17.0 with unstable packages. As my first installation I will go with systemd+glibc instead of systemd+musl since there is no a prebuilt profile for that. By the way, is it hard to make a profile by yourself?

There didn't need to be any new profiles between 2013 and 2017.

The next profile will probably be 21 or something and involve some new GCC 10 feature idk

haha
+1

Running Gentoo + systemd myself. Loving it! I don't get the hate.

How long would it take me to install gentoo on x220 ? I have some experience with debian and I compiled my own kernel before, I'm just worried about long compiling times on a mobile system. I'd be doing this only for fun, I'm bored.

over 6,000,000 milliseconds

They're fixing that I think