First programming language

Hi guys,

I want to learn to program properly. I have programmed a bit in python and some other languages but I mostly copied codes from stackoverflow.

I want to learn language from start and understand it. What language is good for beginner? I'm thinking c++ or Java. Is this good idea? If so can you please point me to some good free books or tutorials where I can also learn on examples?

Thank you, picture is not related.

Fuck off roastie.

pascal

I'm a guy. Picture is only to get your attention. And I have succeeded.

html

You commited the biggest crime of posting- the image is more interesting than the text.
I didn't even read the text.
Not your tech support, go do your own fucking research.

It's not that interesting come on. I have much better ones, if you advise to me. I can google but I want to hear from similar retards as me.

Python 3, official tutorial.
Fuck off.

Haskell. It's the quintessential beginner programming language. If you fail at that you might aswell give up.

I mean, you could keep going with Python. Automate the Boring Stuff with Python is pretty good. Just do Python3 and ignore the Python2 people. Do some simple console projects like Zork clones or whatever.

Alternatively, Go is a pretty nice language. It's relatively fast and pretty simple. I'd read Tour of Go and then jump into some web project with the Go documentation at hand.

Good luck!

learn C (+ assembly for debugging purposes) first for the soul reason that you will learn to respect the stack, memory, and heap. Once you've developed good debugging techniques and you're fairly familiar with C data types and pointers to memory you should move on to a less tedious language.

my CS orientation class was taught in Haskell and it was maybe the worst experience of my life

You should definitly learn a language that has a quite certain future such as GO ("GoLang");
It's one of Googles Children and is about to be used in all there Liberaries;
Will there be a big demand now? Nope, dont think so. But in 2 - 5 Years when the Language will be widespread an established, you will alrdy be a sought after pro!;

Assembler, trust me OP.

Python.
Now post tits and sharpie in the pooper.

unironically haskell

Fortran

C

It depends on so many things.

It could be C.

It could be Scratch.

It could be Python.

It could be Assembly.

Hell, it could be Pascal. It's not as if you can't a learn a ton by starting with Pascal and also programming a ton of things with it.

Or it could be something completely different.

It doesn't have to be something specific unless you go with what is a learning language. But most people who want to learn programming skip learning languages because they feel like they're above the fun and games stuff. Which they are not of course, but that's how most people feel (i.e. have an overly high estimation and overly serious opinion of themselves) and that's probably also why they never learn anything in the end.

The bottom line is it could be anything. It's not some kind of FINAL decision you HAVE TO GET RIGHT or YOU DIE. Just start with something and have fun learning. And don't "learn" by heavy use of libraries and cutting and pasting.

C++

Do you know any good textbooks?

C
Memes aside, the ability to shoot yourself in your foot horribly is a good tool for learning.

Your problem is that you're just learning the language, you're not learning how to problem solve on your own.

Try to actually solve random small problems without looking it up

Learn C.
It'll teach you how shit actually works.

Then learn a more functional language, which can be anything. c# is good for windows programs, java is good for cross-platform, and python is good for CLI only stuff.

best meme response in thread

C and a little Assembly

IDL and COBOL obvs

>Hobbie
Python
>Job
Java

Everything else you are told is bullshit. Don't fall for the Web dev js meme. There are a million backend jobs to be had with Java.

Get a C book, spend 6 months trying to learn the language, learn it perfectly, forget it totally then learn it again and forget it forever. After that all C-based languages (most of them) will look easy af

Hahahaha well meme'd!

C# or Java, don't even think about C++ as a first

C. learn to use it well first, or you will end up horrendously abusing the myriad features of other languages, while failing to understand what actually goes on.
I recommend learning another language parallel to C so that you begin to have a better idea of computer programming rather than just C specifically.

started with windows but don't know where to go from here but open to suggestions

KOTLIN
O
T
L
I
N