Bitcoins contributing to climate change

motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ywbbpm/bitcoin-mining-electricity-consumption-ethereum-energy-climate-change

Currently, bitcoin mining around the world consumes as much electricity as the entire country of Ireland. and in less than a year that consumption will grow exponentially to equal that of the entire United States. and then soon after it will nearly double the entire planets consumption of electricity. cryptocurrency is like pouring gallons of gasoline onto a hellfire - the more crazed people get about obtaining it, the faster we utterly destroy the climate.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=52Mx0_8YEtg
youtube.com/watch?v=c9ZT9CG7OWM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

using climate change to subvert btc

like for real now
i guess thats why they dont even talk about water vapor being the number 1 reason by far as the contributor of the climate change

Climate change is fake news

It won't even reach the %1 of pollution those greedy corporations are causing. Call me when Drumpf closes down all the coal mines and switches everything to nuclear.

I dont give a fuck

Fuck nature and treehuggers

>Leftists campaigning for nuclear energy

Easy. We leftists are not a hivemind and deviate from each other.l

climate change isn't real

>climate change
the climate is changing! stop driving you fucking plebes! now if youll excuse me, i have to go fly my plane a thousand miles to accept an environmentalist award, then fly back in time for the oscars

>implying we are not staggering in renewable energy source developments because it would make the invasion of iraq and syria meaningless

Killing Muslims is a good reason in my eyes

Yep.
Hell, China removed CO2 from their own pollution control laws as they couldn't find any harm done related to plant food.
They are however cracking down on other smog & pollutant creators.

>then he complains about immigrants
I don't know what you were expecting really but you can't really get rid of Islam short of sending 100+ nukes.

That isn't a bad thing.

This is getting pathetic. The mainstream liberal media is run by Jews who are directly threatened by any challenge to international finance like Bitcoin. They run thousands of fake stories about Bitcoin being worthless or a scan or a flash in the pan etc.; Idiots listen, smart people invest, now that the smart people are making massive returns and not cashing out any time soon, they have to do something to convince the dumb-dumbs they made the right choice by missing out. Somehow they still haven't learned anything because they think fake stories will stop Bitcoin despite all their past failures. If people still fall for it and miss out in this once in a century opportunity, I can't feel sorry for them anymore. The Communists at Vice are blatantly lying to keep their audience weak, submissive, and penniless.

It's probably a minuscule amount compared to all the factories, vehicle emissions, jets, etc.

Human-accelerated climate change is a real thing, but the only thing that can realistically slow it is World War 3, a worldwide French Revolution 2.0, or two asteroids that wipe out all of USA and China.

>World War 3, a worldwide French Revolution 2.0, or two asteroids that wipe out all of USA and China.
or putting soy into food, so males become faggots lol

>%1
>1$

Why do brainlets do this?

Because, in my country, we put the currency symbol after the number. 1/100, there.

Since I don't want to start a new thread, anyone know if there's a way to see if my old dogecoin wallet has coins on it or do i have to wait the 6+ days for my client to sync before I see them? I just found out they're worth like 5 grand now

6 days sounds bretty reasonably for 5 grands

Why do people care so much about a bubble?

>*tips*

>smoking causes cancer
>"b-but you still smoke so i will too"
>"checkmate libruls"

It breaks my heart to see these innocent little GPUs strung up on racks to be raped by dirty cryptoniggers. They should be being used to play fun games, not to make pretend money pop up out of thin air.

[citation not from breitbart needed]

They should be used to train artificial intelligence instead of getting strung up in shitty RGB cases and wasted on man children's gaymes.

>and in less than a year that consumption will grow exponentially to equal that of the entire United States
Not if bitcoin crashes like any other highly speculative market in a bubble.

Once the bubble finally pops, crypto will lose a fuckton of support both from investores and miners. That exponential increase in power use can only last so long.

>its speculative
>speculates
Nice!

Who cares, I'm going to use my coins to buy a spaceship and gtfo anyway.

>the climate is changing the same way it has ever since the dawn of time
>humans are accellerating it even though I have no data at all to support my claim!

>climate change is real cause I saw a picture of one (1) starving polar bear on facebook

Gonna have to trole a bit harder there lmao

This is why we need a better protocol than the horribly inefficient blockchain.

Maybe IOTA will save us all

Tucker Carlson asked Bill Nye the Genderfluid Climate Shilling Guy about it in live TV and he had no answer. He had no data at all to show that humans are significantly increasing the rate at which the climate changes, yet advocates for putting "climate deniers" in jail.

This is a huge problem. We need a better version of bitcoin. Maybe quantum computers will solve this, but until then, this is a fucking retarded application. Literally destroying the earth for speculative greed.

>leftist believes everything he reads about climate change from sites like vice.com
Neck yourself

>now that the smart people are making massive returns and not cashing out any time soon
That's an oxymoron.
You don't make any return until you cash out.

wouldn't need cryptocurrency if we actually had a free banking system. the fed is causing global warming not cyrpto.

Gridcoin.
By contributing your computer to science the power consumption is just being distributed rather than centralized (running on some super computer/mainframe somewhere).

It could still increase overall power consumption, but that could be used for projects that benefit humanity.

>Call me when Drumpf closes down all the coal mines and switches everything to nuclear.
Nuclear is not the answer, problem is where do we store nuclear waste which is lethal for at least 250,000 years

>leftists are not a hivemind
This is, I don't even know what this is.
It's like kek's on speed.

Climate change has nothing to do with humans doing. It's natural temperature variation correlated with sun activity. Here is explaination for retards:
youtube.com/watch?v=52Mx0_8YEtg
The only thing humans should worry about is pollution (poisoning), changing ecosystem in a way that doesn't benefit us (we still need plants to produce oxygen, control water levels and winds, and animals are both food and factor affecting plants) and running out of resources. Increased electricity usage is connected only with last one, since most electricity is made of coal and other limited stuff that is needed not only for fuel you have to remember. No coal/oil etc = not only limited transport, but also huge cuts in chemical industries which are now part of almost everything. You use fucking plastic everywhere after all.
But that's just part of huge waste caused by the flawed economic system. There is no need to pump out phones and push them into people hands as an extra just so they would sign a contract and pay telecommunication company for next 2 years, there is no need to change a phone every fucking couple months. And planned obsolescence is just one of the biggest offenders. But that's what you get in a system in which wealth is everything and there is need for constant growth.

you guys must either be trolling or really fucking stupid.k

Well that's no surprise, he's a "science guy" not a scientist.

Excuses, excuses, Jesus christ of nazereth

Bitcoin causes cancer, too. And HIV/AIDS

>Sup Forums cucks more worried about natural temperature oscilation than these mad gains

And I would think a tech board would have a higher IQ

>vice
(You)

>More people use electricity
>CLIMATE CHANGE! OOGA BOOGA! STOP LIVING IN THE FUTURE!

I guess when you're talking about something that isn't even real it's easy to claim all sorts of things contribute to it.

Every time you masturbate a penguin dies.

No, we (and france, and germany, and many other countries) have known for a long time. Fuck, we've known since the goddamn 50s.

The fact you are a living carbon based lifeform technically also contributes to climate change. Fucking morons..

It's not just nature and treehuggers that will be impacted.
You and everyone else will. Fuck you.

>pull radioactive material out of the ground
>use it
>dump now slightly less radioactive back in the same hole it was extract from

WE'RE KILLING THE PLANET

They don't dump it into the same hole moron.

>Call me when Drumpf closes down all the coal mines and switches everything to nuclear

Wow, what a great idea. Let's raise the US energy costs to the highest in the world. Then ALL the manufactures who haven't already left will move to China where energy costs are negligible.

nuclear is cheap as shit though lole

Maybe not literally the exact same hole that particular batch was mined from, but most dumping grounds are used up mines.

We live in such an advanced time, even if it really as bad as they say, we'll still be able to survive just fine.

And these same people don't realize or refuse to accept that large swaths of Africa, India and China are also contributing a large amount of climate change and instead of giving large amounts of fiscal aid, we ought to teach them how to use contraceptives and how to farm responsibly instead of essentially slashing and burning vegetation like mad and tell them to sustain themselves.

Do you even climate change?

Electricity consumption != climate change

Fuck sake, assuming everyone's on S9's that's only 900MW

shocking: electricity contributing to climate change
shocking: humans by their simple existance are contributing to climate change
shocking: everything has it's own repercussions
shocking: everything has a beginning and an end
far-leftists can't acknowledge that their utopia is unrealisable, using manipulation and guilt to stop people from doing things that don't fit their agenda.

the real reason they're undermining BTC by doing thing like:
"contributing to climate change"
"used by money launderers"(((EU)))
is because BTC users are way harder to track down compared to credit card/paypal users.(which they have been pushing since the cash method is even harder to track) A classic sign of globalist hysteria when they realise they don't have everything in control

>inb4 govt restricts cryptos because of climate change
lole

inb4 move to Sup Forums

Read it, don't care, you can all get fucked

>and in less than a year that consumption will grow exponentially to equal that of the entire United States

>MUH CLIMATE CHANGE
If you actually still believe in human caused climate change you are a retard.

The tech fags on /. and HN who bitched about climate change for decades
literally don't care
complete hypocrites

>miss the oil boom
>rich assholes
>protect da planet!

>hol up
>gettin rich on crypto coin
>money pile up
>fuck de earf

This.
>>>/reddit/ if you still believe this shit

/thread

Imagine being closed off to ideas because of a stupid political boundary. Fucking americans
Neck yourself race traiting christcuck

>as much electricity as the whole of ireland

What do they even use electricity there for other than boiling a potato and making god awful posts on 4chin?

>Bill Nye the Genderfluid Climate Shilling Guy
he is not atmosphere scientist. Exaggerated example: It's same as asking gender studies "professor" how Higgs was detected in LHC.

>lethal for at least 250,000 years
I don't understand why this is so big problem for some. We don't need to inhabit every corner of the world. If we go extinct or forget those caves, we were doomed anyway. exitus acta probat

>bill nye the mechanical engineering goy

Fuck climate change
Who do you think is driving up the RAM prices?
Goddamn miners
That's who

Its almost like solar panels aren't a thing.

no, it's phoneposters

Don't care.

Then why the fuck is he one of the loudest voices for climate change? He's constantly invited to talk about it, and as previously stated, has actually called for the imprisonment of climate change "deniers".

>he fell for solar panels meme

Nice. I don't give a shit what happens in 100 years. Might as well speed it up too so I can get oceanfront property.

It's basically the worship of science as a religion instead of using science as a tool to educate and explain natural phenomena. You can tell because he addresses science as a monolithic entity that's not to be questioned at all , not a series of disciplines where experiments are done such that they can be recorded and reproduced by anyone else.

Nah, hippies are just making a huge fuss.

Shitcoin crypto miner should honestly be buldozed into massgraves.

greedy fucks only care about themselves, even my GPU prices are high and i cant upgrade.

I don't know shit about bitcoin

Are people using electricity and computing resources to inflate a currency instead of producing a good or service?

>(((global warming)))
I want it to crash so I can build a new rig and play games real crisp

if you don't give a fuck hang yourself kiddo

This, thanks just bought $1m USD

>Vice

It's actually more radioactive afterward.

We are turning it from more stable materials into less stable ones.
It's kinda good in that the half life is much lower than the original uranium used in the reactors, but bad in that it is much more harmful to living things in shorter time frames.

That being said, nuclear is still the answer.

wow ur a genius. let the government know so they can fire all the nuclear people and just keep the ones that go with your progressive ideas like you.

>it's just water vapor
vape fags

Wow, the amount of retards ITT who either don't think it's real or that it doesn't matter.
Well, I've got news for you: It IS real. The ever more long getting blockchain means more and more power has to be spend on re-encrypting it. Right now that "mining" is only feasible in places where electricity costs next to nothing, like in Mongolia and China. But it still means thousands of tons of coal have to be burned to produce that electricity, heating up the atmosphere.

Anyway, buttcoin rapidly comes nearer to the point where it's just not worth it anymore mining or paying transaction fees. Once again, a concept hasn't really been thought through.

>tfw no RGB
>tfw attempting to into AI but I'm shit at programming
>tfw also play games

roll

youtube.com/watch?v=c9ZT9CG7OWM

venus became a fucking greenhouse giant simply because the water evaporated and the atm pressure literally was holding all the gases from escaping