Does anyone use alpine linux as a daily driver? If so, how is it????

Does anyone use alpine linux as a daily driver? If so, how is it????

Hello, you seem to be new here. Let me help you.

For starters, we have a general here called /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. That's the first place that you'll get an answer that's linux-related.

And if you still feel like your question deserves its own thread, don't try to use "pretty women" to get attention. It doesn't work as well here as it does on other boards. What I've found that works is popular logos (Windows logo for example), or tech that "looks nice" (macs or slim laptops), or asian women. Or anime girls.

You meant "alpine renault" ?

But Alpine has nothing to do with the GNU project.

I'm not new. Faggot fuck.

Use it on my home server and my laptop. Its a great server is but the desktop is lacking, and there isn't that much of a selection of programs in the repos. 7.5/10
That being said, I enjoy the shot out of it as my daily...

Post alpine desktop. It seems like a 8.5/10 for me just reading about the website. Also what you want to use alpine on desktop anyway??

>> don't use sexy women
>> use Asian women or anime girls
>>implying [you]

why did *

At work, dont have laptop with me today...
And openRC as well as the hardened kernel is why I use it as a desktop.

Just use Debian testing

i never used openrc. When starting xorg, do you type "startx" on alpine? Sorry for the noob question

systemd bloat my dude. I am using debian btw

>alpine linux
isnt this just for running docker containers lol?

What??

Yes, but you can also set it up to have a login screen and boot straight to desktop.

No, thats bloat. Thanks anyway!

>systemd bloat
Literally don't care. I will install FreeBSD right away if someone actually proves that NSA is behind it.

> responding to bait this obvious in 2017

There are several flavors of alpine. One of them being tailored to containers. Its a very good os for running a server on too. But I feel, with linux, it can be setup to do any number of tasks. So your point is really moot.....

>bloat
This. Real /minimal/fags launch their WM/small DE with “startx” from the TTY

>BSD
That shit is not usable muh dude. I think alpine is literally the best choice for me. Fucking systemd uses google dns. I can't trust that shit. It crossed the line. i can't even change my dns server

Not saying you have to use that. Just throwing it out there. I also startx....

Some tinfoil anons claim that because it’s essentially made by RedHat, and RedHat has ties to the NSA apparently, it’s spyware

Yeah, i was worried there would be new syntax with openrc and i couldn't do startx anymore.

Damn, if fags think void or arch is minimal. Alpine is like 2x faster and minimal

Holy fuck. Why isn't Sup Forums using alpine. WHYYYY. I literally see nothing wrong with alpine. Someone show me some flaws

Busybox is good for most user tasks but incompatible with many utils

Examples??? What do you mean?

uses musl so incompatible with glibc apps (though there are ways to make them compatible)
difficult to install common packages such as xorg.

though I really like Alpine as a server distro.

Did xorg not work for you?? How come?

I have only briefly tried Alpine as a desktop distro in VirtualBox before. I could never start the X server - unsure if related to VirtualBox, NVIDIA, or what.

on a sidenote OP, you should checkout Adelie Linux.

Don't talk shit. Do it on real hardware you faggot.

>waste your time hard-installing a distro to use it in a way that isn't intended and is unlikely to work

somebody doesn't use Linux. teehee.

Fine. But have you used the virtual machine iso?

teehee I do that on Arch as well :^)

Alpine is a distro with crippled down programs to get a very small footprint. It's nice for routers or containers, but only a fool would use it on the desktop.

user, it has obs-studio, xorg, ffmepg, dwm etc etc in their repos. WHY CAN'T I USE IT AS A DESKTOP

I use it for my home-server. openrc is definitely a pro, and I like the apk package management system too.

Do you use it as a desktop?

No.

>only a fool would use it on the desktop

Give us an update when you're done.

I rarely even fuck with the init system. Am i a brainlet?

I use it in docker containers sometimes.

Here's that desktop shot for you, user.

The font looks like cancer. Are you memeing?

>don't try to use "pretty women" to get
attention. It doesn't work as well here as it does on other boards.

Speak for yourself, fruitcake.

Do you have sudo installed?

And another one...

Can't you fix your fonts? holy fucj

No, it runs on ram and I use lba commit to save my user settings and docs to a removable sd card. And I never leave the sd card in the laptop while it's powered off. But I certainly have sudo installed on my server. I aint no dummy!!!

**lbu commit

what is wrong with your font.
also
>not using roboto

The fuck does it matter what font I use. You can use whatever you like on your machine.

Unless it looks like fucking garbage

>root
Look at this brainlet

Please see