/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Old Thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replaceable CPUs, IPS displays available, chiclet
P series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW (embed) (embed)

BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

x220.mcdonnelltech.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

how is macOS (high sierra) performance on x220? is it better than linux?

Not that great unless you get all of the drivers and hardware and Clover bootloader configured properly. The install and setup makes you want to kill yourself.

Does x220 batteries work on x220 tablets?

No but the X220 and X230 take the same battery. I was looking around for a new battery for my X230 and I found out that the X230 and X230T take totally different batteries.

x220.mcdonnelltech.com/

x220 is probably the easiest laptop to do a hackintosh with. linked walkthrough is fairly simple and will result in the most working hardware features

that being said, linux will be a lot more reliable as a daily use os. i dont have to worry about an update fucking my [distro of choice] install

I got my hands on a super cheap Edge, other than a few fingerprints here and there it looks basically new.

I don't even know why I bought it. It had Thinkpad on it and only cost 20€ I guess.
What do I do with it now?

After some thinking, I think I'm done with ultrabooks but don't want to quite give up the better displays that come with them.

I'd consider switching to a T420 for the keyboard. I have an old T430 with an i5 and the NVS 5400M I could swap into the T420 and was thinking of also trying to install one of the IPS 1920x1080 panels from the T440 or Carbon series on it. Is all this still possible?

it'll be less work to put a t420 keyboard into your t430

I just bought my first thinkpad boys
>Fuck you guys for meming me into it
Im actually pretty excited. Paid 220. Planning on swapping the 500GB HDD for an SSD. I mainly want something to just throw in my backpack and take to class/work. All I do is C and webdev.

Is that possible?

First thing you should do is uninstall all that bloatware and throw a lean mean operating bean like Arch or Mint on it.

Peel off that sticker. CPU stickers do not belong on Thinkpads. It's sacrilege.

Would it be best to do a full Mint partition and fully commit it as my linux learning machine?

Yes.

68+ 6cell came in. looks to be genuine. paid $55 for it

howd i do /tpg/?

also it has a 5% wear going off of windows battery report. is this normal for new batteries?

probably within tolerances. nothing lasts forever, even new batteries lose capacity sitting on the shelf

Fucking high pitched whine on my T60. Can't get rid of it. It's barely audible but it is audible and it is very annoying,

Yes

listen to bad punk rock on your headphones at max volume for a decade straight. by the time you're 30 you won't notice coil whine anymore

>tfw as a kid could tell someone was watching tv at the other end of the house from the crt whine

replaced the keyboard and re-pasted the heatsink. god i love my thinkpad so much

If your goal is to get the install and setup over with as quickly as possible and just fuck around a little bit then Mint is a good choice. It's easily among the most beginner friendly distros right now.
If you actually want to learn linux though, I'd unironically recommend something like arch or maybe even gentoo. You will fuck the install up probably dozens of times, especially if you pick gentoo, and until you've configured your system and set everything up so you can actually be productive with it weeks might pass, but you are actually going to learn something from it.
Installing and setting up Ubuntu or Mint is something anyone that's ever installed Windows can do no problem, it's just as straight forward and braindead.

>by the time you're 30
>by the time
>you're 30

That was 5 years ago. And fuck punk rock. 10 years of Venetian Snares and Technical itch wrecked my ears worse than that shit ever could.

Just bought a libre-booted x200 for £70, how well did I do?

Nice. You could have done a hell of a lot worse. Zero the hdd or ssd and reinstall your distro though if it came with one.

Install powertop, I think it'll fix it

Okay. I just did. Now what?

i did it

I’m thinking of buying one of these for school. Which one should I go for and how long do these things last?

Pick one from one of the lists ontop.
The good ones last an eternity and even if something should break getting a replacement part is only going to run you a couple bucks most of the time.

>stretched
>bios message
no you didn't

Install Gentoo on it

I actually might. I've never really fucked around with Linux other than Ubuntu so it could be a fun little project.
Anything in particular I have to watch out for?

I just came home for christmas and realized my mom has a better thinkpad than me.

Which ones are the good ones?

It depends what specifications and usage you have in mind you fucking stupid normal cunt. Fucking hell.

I'm going to take a look at an x220 tomorrow priced €115 ~136$. It's that too cheap? (4GB ram/532 GB HDD)

just make sure it has 8gn of ram

i had a mac mini over the summer with 4gb and macOS ran like shit on that thing, to the point i had to return it

fuck I am jealous
where? I need one my current one died

Fuck you, it’s not my fault you’re being so vague.
>hurr durr normal cunt
Good one, pat yourself on the back you lonely nigger.

minifree.org sell them but they're expensive.

>not my fault you're being so vague
>"what thinkpads are good?"

YOU ARE BEING VAGUE. YOU HAVE TO GO BACK.

I asked which ones were good for school. You didn’t go back far enough

How can I make sure that the t420 i ordered on ebay isnt water damaged or anything?

>be me, a jew
>be on ebay
>auction countdown for a t420
>3 seconds left to bid
>bid 2 dollars more
>win auction
>profit

whats the best p series laptop? Im looking for the absolute greatest mobile workstation available, so should I get the p71 or the p51? Whats the difference?

everything in the OP are the good ones

lewd

hnng

about 2 inches

reminder
mouse > trackpad > trackpoint

Can anyone identify this thinkpad? The person who I'm considering buying from keeps saying its an edge 11 but it clearly isn't.

Is that an X1 Yoga ?

The available GPUs. CPUs are the same.
If you knew how to read you wouldn't be asking this question, so I have my doubts as to whether you actually need one.

Best x230 dock?

Is the B140HAN01.3 still the best panel that can be natively installed into the T440p?

yes

Thinkpad T60 or T61

What's a fair price to pay for a
w520
FHD 1080p
16 gigs ram
i7-2820QM(2.30GHz) quad core
9 cell battery
comes with 2 power bricks
and a dock

?

I'm gonna guess R61e, based on
>uneven bezels
>celeron sticker
>speakers above the keyboard, not on the sides or underneath
>looks like four characters for the model, but no **00 or later generation exhibits the above characteristics
it's basically a piece of shit. respectable build-wise, and you could spec it up to par with regular t61 parts, but probably not worth the asking price.

t430 or t420?

T430 with the 420's keyboard,unless you have no issues with the chiclet one.

now that's a clean ass thinkpad

x230 or t430 for running fedora and/or xubuntu with IDEs?

$250-400
depending on factors such as condition, battery condition, etc

also having an ssd here. I would just add it

Okay. I can get 3 of these bad boys. I'll report back here

oh damn

Don't be mean, he tried his best.

Temps?

420c

Just bought a t570 for $650, how bad did I fuck up? (I don't know much about this stuff)

You overpaid.

Is this statement true?

is there any news about the t480? might be considering buying that since 8th

Running FreeBSD on my X200, everything but suspend works perfectly.

Is there any benefit to updating the BIOS on my ThinkPad?? It doesn't look like its ever been updated

waiting for a285/485 with raven ridge

Someone is selling a lightly used x61 by me for $55 should I grab it?

>tfw sold my x60 to my ex girlfriend for $40 before she ghosted me
>probably sitting in her closet forever unused bc she can't into upgrading it

i want to kill all roasties

Can an x60 accept 8GB RAM?

>Is there any benefit to updating the BIOS on my ThinkPad??
anime logo

why not

>falling for the 3dpd whore meme
you deserve it

it'll recognize up to 3gb

Nice, I hope the seller still has it, I have been wanting a ThinkPad

What's with that one ThinkPad on the bottom with the gold stripes on the lid?

>READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST
There isn't any buyer's guide anymore you fucktard.

Stop pasting without reading FFS.

probably carbon fiber wrap

>Is this statement true?
Who gives a fuck user.
It's your laptop, you're not in a cult.

>W10
>Avast
>Firefox
>non-Microsoft Office

Congratulation, you're doing almost everything wrong.
Install Windows 7 Ultimate Edition x64
"Common Sense (TM)" anti-virus
A browser that respect your rights and your privacy, like Brave.
And download Office 2010, it's the best office suite there is and you actually need it to not fuck up documents.

>whats the best p series laptop?

Only thing that's wrong about any of that is VLC
>b-but muh chrome
lol
Also, surprised you didn't shit on VLC yet went after shit like Firefox.

>non shit screen (above 768p, 1080p preferably)
>at least mobile sandy bridge performance
What are my options?

I personally don't like VLC, I'm an MPC kind of guy, but VLC still works I guess.
That being said, Firefox is corrupt as fuck now. It's a failed project.

If you can do heavy lifting, W520/W530 is great.

W520, W530
Could drop these screens into equivalent T5** models if you don't need the GPU or four RAM slots.

on t430s running debian do you recommend running powertop as a service? I had some weird conflictions with other power management software I had already installed. I generally don't really need to live on battery alone so it's not a big deal but any protips on battery life on linux is appreciated.

I've read thinkwiki and done a tlp-profile and gone through everything obvious in bios, also disabled the ultrabay-drive and probably going to replace it with a second ssd-bay).
Does the inbuilt expresscard34 memory card reader eat battery? Didn't notice it on powertop, but I've heard of 3rd party USB expansion cards being pretty power hungry.

also I have to say I am positively surprised that the ericsson 3g module worked basically out of the box as the reserve connection is real nice to have. parts for the classic kb mod are already waiting for the righ time.

this is a good upgrade from the x200

The x230 series is pretty nice. On a lighter linux distro 8gb of ram is more than enough and any old SSD is enough to make that thing fly.

>whats the best p series laptop?
the one you can't afford

Since this is Thinkpad general, I some questions to wise anons of Sup Forums.

Does anyone know if Lenovo produced Thinkpads for IBM before May 2005? The deal between IBM and Lenovo was settled 1st May 2005, but did Lenovo already started production of Thinkpads before 1st May 2005? And what was the last IBM design/model without Lenovos influence. Some sources say X41 was the last IBM, some say G41 was. Other say R50p was the last design without Lenovo influence. X41 was of course the last before 1st May 2005, but had Lenovo already influence on this? There are X41 models and olders out there that already mentioned Lenovo. Other sources say T60 was the last IBM design, designed under IBM before May 2005, but production started under Lenovo in 2006. Anyone know anything more about Lenovos influence on Thinkpads and what the last IBM model without Lenovo influence was? Did Lenovo had already influence before May 2005 and when did they start producing, May 2005 or even way before?

Jesus, you sound like Rainman. I even read your post with Dustin Hoffmans voice in my head. Why does any of that matter anyway?