Req budget PC below $400 with monitor?

mom needs a new PC. considering desktop instead of laptop since mobility is not needed. logicalincrements doesn't have anything below $250 + $150 for a monitor. Is there a point in trying to buy something cheaper?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Refurbished-Optiplex-Business-Professional-Refurbtek/dp/B01N1RYCID
wincycle.org/product-category/pc/pc-desktops/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

forgot to mention I'm in Canada.

Just buy stuff lightly used. PC shit hasn't changed much for the past few years, and parts that are a few years old can be had for cheap. Used pc+used monitor is the way to go, or else assemble used parts, or mix with new parts, and buy a used monitor.

Get her a refurbished Dell Optiplex 990

used stuff is pretty crappy. like classified listings are pretty vague, and usually inferior pre-built stuff.
She had a brand new laptop for 10 years and it's been kinda sluggish lately.

where ... oh, there's a dedicated website for refurbished Dell.
Why Optiplex? That looks like a garbage form factor.

Decent hardware, common, cheap, still upgradable

This. It's a great machine. Not like she's going to do anything other than email and web browsing.

Thanks for the info & advice.

even a refurbished desktop and monitor is $355, but I guess it's a bit cheaper than $400.
I could save $90 by getting a Pentium Dual Core (G850) 2.90 GHz instead of an i5-3470 3.20 GHz. I wonder if everything else is slower like the RAM and USB or something. It's even got 12GB instead of 4GB despite being cheaper. It's gotta be bad. {still checking}
Damn. All these refurbished desktops have 250GB HD. Is that even big enough for an OS?

+1 for Optiplex and other business SFF. Just drive by a business IT refurbish store (or eBay), get both the machine and monitor there. Haswell top end Optiplex (9020) ship standard with i5 4570, its easily good enough for pretty much everything she'll ever need. Businesses/Universities get rid of them hundred/thousands at a time, and being lab/office computer they're all going to be fairly well maintained.

literally better off buying a playstation 4 or something.

Do this looks good for you?

amazon.com/Refurbished-Optiplex-Business-Professional-Refurbtek/dp/B01N1RYCID

Hop on fleabay.

Used HP Z420 workstation with an e5-1620 xeon (sandy bridge), 8gb ddr3 ecc, 250gb hdd, then spend another $50 for either:

-hd 7850/r7 270/370 2gb+
-gtx 960 2gb+
-gtx 770 2gb+

Enjoy even Doom 2016 under vulkan at 60+ fps 1080p high settings (textures medium for dat 2gb).

Used xeon workstations are a hidden diamond in the rough. High quality hardware on the cheap. Everyone here is anti-prebuilt because they've never worked in the industry and don't realize that actual xeon workstations for CAD work are pretty boss.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is a filthy poser normie.

Search harder.
wincycle.org/product-category/pc/pc-desktops/
There must be places like this in canada. 250gb is 10 times more than you need for any os.

>HP Z420
Might as well go for the Z400/Dell T3500 with the W3690. Those 6 cores Gulfttown are still monsters.

Westmere-EP are alright as well, the X5650 can be gotten for around $30 bucks, it supports dual CPU meme, and it can be OCed easily. Just not with a workstation board sadly.

If it weren't for the weird proprietary form factor, xeon workstations would be my only desktop purchases. I like fancy nice cases.

Just get her a chromebook

Pre-Sandy Bride ones are pretty standard ATX, only with proprietary connectors.

Well, now with NCIX gone, you're basically doomed. Buy from Newegg or from a guy on the streets who wants a quick and dirty blowjob.

Kijiji my man. Depending on your location you should be able to find good used parts.

what's the purpose? gaymen?
hdd pulls have a very wide variance but it's relatively safe to purchase graphics cards, chipsets, processors
refurb desktops like the Optiplex 990, which you should search for MT, the actual tower version you fucking retard, on ebay or recycling centers. even ebay (which is fairly steep for single sale computers) you'll cop one for 80 bucks with a little searching. i got a dell optiplex 960 for 15 bucks from ebay, spent 18 bucks on a xeon e5-5460 with 775-771 mod, then realized i could buy a small lot of these guys for 50 bucks off of a recycling center. only problem with pre 980s are 4gb ddr2 limitation, and can't replace the PSU (which is common for most prebuilts).
i would go with a dell precision t3xxx workstation as they have beefier more reliable PSUs (~500W) to accomodate gfx cards, they're around 70-80 bux on ebay barebones. you could replace with a 1366 xeon like x5649 (6 core @2.53ghz) and some RAM, used R9 270x.

Isn't optiplex and a gpu with no additional power connectors (gtx1050ti) the sweet spot for cheap gaming power (1080p low-medium settings)? Should be under $250, with a windows license.

those machines are mostly always BTX form factor, and most cases a lot of dedicated GPU wont actually fit

these low power cards usually get slim, low-profile form factor versions towards the end of their life cycle.

the best I could get to fit an old 755 MT was a radeon HD6570. I swapped the C2D for a C2Q q9400 and packed 8GB ram in it. gaymed on it for many years.

I attempted to replace it with a smaller RX 460 (4GB) and the issue this time wasn't size but the fact there isn't enough power on the PCIe bus to power it to even post. there are severe power limitations on those boards as well.

it depends, yes, pre-2009 are all BTX cases. series 4 (like the 960 and beyond) are slightly different though i'm not sure how cramped it would be for a gpu. one reason even MTs can't fit the gpu is because the heatsink is held in place with a huge piece of plastic, with some dremelling you can make more space, but your cards need to be under 6" in length otherwise it won't fit lengthwise. a used 750ti ssc worked quite well for my 960.

the limitation with the series prior to 980 was the 4gb ddr2 limit, which really sucks, but you kind of get this line of equal performance for increasing cost if you bumped up to the 980 or 990. i'm fairly happy with the performance of the 960 thus far though, it's enough to play the classic "modern" titles like civ, cod, overwatch, sc2 on fhd if i turn the settings down, and it's more than enough to play the older titles like the source games, aoe, etc. most problems i've been having are on the hard drives - would strongly suggest never buying hdds from pulls, i've had 2 fail on me (one came defective, another failed after a year), and another still going strong but who knows.