Why would anyone use Ruby over Python?

Why would anyone use Ruby over Python?

Other urls found in this thread:

eregon.me/blog/2016/11/28/optcarrot.html
computerworld.com/article/3122994/apple-mac/ibm-says-swift-is-now-ready-for-the-enterprise.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

enforced whitespace
also it just looks nicer

Speed. Ruby is great for haxxoring, too.

Wait what Ruby is faster?

Lies

*snickers*

Rails (the actual reason)
Syntax preferences
Better lambdas/FP
OOP with real encapsulation

Unrelatedly, OP's pic is frustrating me. All characters seem to have some sort of a theme going on (R is a lab rat, PHP serves, Elixir is a Ruby/Erlang hybrid, etc.), but Lua is just some hipster chick with blue hair? Either I don't get it or Lua deserves better.

Actual OOP
Incredibly clean and handy anonymous functions
Doesn't rely on fucking whitespace

In certain applications, yes. Python has to do a lot of weird bullshit design hacks to accomplish certain tasks, or it has to rely on calling down to C code instead (which is basically just cheating).

A bit. But then there's eregon.me/blog/2016/11/28/optcarrot.html

Lua is a game scripting language, very fast be the way and very easy to integrate, so they make it look like literately who archetype because that's representative of people making games or something? That makes no fucking sense even if you try rationalizing.

>I developed a new video driver to display the NES screen, using mplayer, which only requires writing the pixels to a pipe.
Huh. What a novel way to implement a GUI in ruby, something it notoriously lacks.

>also it just looks nicer
>Incredibly clean and handy anonymous functions
>Syntax preferences
it also has a lot of golfing tricks inherited from perl

What does Swift have with IBM to do?

Wow that code looks confusing as fuck

Ruby's golfing prowess is actually kind of a big downfall for it, imo. There's so many functions that are just aliases of each other that it makes it difficult to understand what other people have writting.
Also people who don't comment their Perl functions need to be shot in the foot.

God what a dumb fucking op picture

>Ruby has special vars
Oh good god

this is perfect all on its own

Coming from someone who only knows bit of c# and java, who the fuck thought that was reasonable?

>There's so many functions that are just aliases of each other that it makes it difficult to understand what other people have writting.
that's true, until recently I found out that you can define a method using blocks like so
define_method(:sum) { |a, b| puts a + b }
# as opposed to
def sum(a, b); puts a + b end

and discovered many uses of the "splat" operator for stuff like the "join" method
["top", "kek"]*?\s # ["top", "kek"].join("\s")
p *1..10 # 1.upto(10).each { |n| puts n }

to me this is rather fun to discover and play around with

meta programming

>tfw too dumb for metaprogramming

Between Ruby and Javascript which is easier/quicker to learn first?

>common lisp is the ancient old lady
>scheme is just some dude
>scheme predates cl.

Omm

erlang master race

Javascript is basically dumpster fire tier, anything you learn from it will actually kill brain cells and harm your future programming ambitions.

Why would you write Ruby like that?

computerworld.com/article/3122994/apple-mac/ibm-says-swift-is-now-ready-for-the-enterprise.html
IBM is betting on Swift. They were all-in on on Java, so when the Oracle v. Google they went looking for backup options.

But if anything Python has very powerful metaprogramming.

what a horrid image

Wow, I fucked that sentence like a retard.