/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Google your shit before asking.

Other urls found in this thread:

winhelponline.com/blog/unassociate-file-types-windows-7-vista/
mp4repair.org/pwt6/preview.html
distrowatch.com/index.php?distribution=reactos
support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/947242/a-temporary-profile-is-loaded-after-you-log-on-to-a-windows-vista-base
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Upgraded Debian Stretch to Buster testing and now Gohufont Bold does this weird shit with lines. What do?

Stop recommending the Google botnet, faggot.

I want to make a Geochron emulator using a touchscreen and a raspberry Pi. I'd like to have a flat map-like version of Google Earth with the Day/Night lines on the display and be able to touch a location and have the date and time for that area pop-up (and possibly zoom in on the location).

Can this be done?

It's a general term for internet searching you dumb nigger. I don't even use google myself.

I'm having problems with X11 everytime I upgrade my system. Last time I saw somewhere to just delete the cache or something like that and it fucking worked, but now i cant find that thread or the location of the cache again

Where is this?

>disable wake timers
>disable the ability for every single connected device to wake computer
>computer still wakes up in sleep mode
What the fuck. Help pls.

Is wayland good yet?

I'm trying to download a torrent, but it isn't downloading at all, despite saying I'm connected to 7 seeders. Why is this?

>letting Google take over the language

You're haunted.

what operating system?

and why bother putting it to sleep if you have an SSD? just shut it down lol
...you do have an SSD, right?

Windows 10, and yeah it's an ssd.

How do I install pale moon on Ubuntu? I've followed several different tutorials online and none of them work.

Whenever I try to install it fails to fetch the repository, or it says protocol http not supported or disabled in libcurl.

Hello,
Kinda unfamiliar with what is the new standard of things to use. The recent fiasco with whatever hiro-moot tried to do made me realize my go to stuff is flat-out old.
I.e: Adblock plus and ghostery were woefully overshadowed by Ublock (which is what I am now using)

What is the consensus on which things are good all around, or easy interface, or are better versions of existing things?

Also I am using Bittorrent. I suspect it has fallen out of favor. What is the new hot-ness?

Oh, anyone have a clue as to why the captcha always forces me to skip the 1st set, even if there is what it is asking for? I sometimes have to solve it multiple time.

I recommend uMatrix to block scripts. And personally I use Deluge for torrents.

My cell phone has a pathetic 4gb internal storage that's been consumed by preinstalled bloatware. At first it wasn't too bad, but with every update the apps got larger. Now I have to clear caches constantly or I run out of space. I've moved everything it will allow me to into the SD card, and now there's nothing left to move. How can I get rid of the garbage?

I had problems with something similar a while back. I had to dig through the event logs to find out what kept waking it up. Turned out the antivirus wanted to update at 2am and somehow had permission to wake to do that. Once you figure out what it is, find it in the task scheduler and shut it down.

Can I buy cryptocurrency then send them to a private wallet so that I can avoid fees when sending the shit to a darknet market?

How do I remove unwanted file associations? Pic related, I didn't set any of these to open with my vidya emulator, yet here they are. I looked around a bit and came across this software tool for the purpose: winhelponline.com/blog/unassociate-file-types-windows-7-vista/ but it's not detecting any associations with these extensions.

This only happened after I downloaded a frontend called Launchbox about 5 days or so ago. So far it's pretty neat for organizing barring a few things here and there, but I can't help this niggling feeling that it's some kind of malware or something.

What is the best terminal torrent client?

Anyone familiar with encoding with ffmpeg here? I'm trying to convert a instant replay file (from Nvidia's shadowplay) but it's giving me some errors and the output file has major audio desync.

Here's the ffmpeg command if anyone can help:
ffmpeg -i "in.mp4" -c:v libx265 -crf 28 -async 1 -threads 4 -preset slow c:a aac -b:a 128k "Converted/out.mp4"

pic shows the error btw

is anyone else not able to contract webms by dragging to left in firecocks Nightly?

shadowplay often mangles mp4 replay files, so it may be something that needs to be repaired first (lookup mp4 repair) or incorrectable. Also look into setpts.

mp4repair.org/pwt6/preview.html
is this the one?

This is my ffprobe btw

is there any way you can help correct?

niggers i want an answer to this FUCKING NOW!
should i go down the /ptg/ rabbit hole? it just seems like some 10 year old clubhouse game - muh special invites - surely i don't need this shit amirite?
also, yes i will gas myself if i am wrong about this and /ptg/ is god-tier infopills.

I'm planning on deleting my profile on Windows 7 since it always directs me to a temporary profile. If I delete that profile, would it also get rid of the files in Program Files and Program Files (x86)?

Can IR lasers cause blindness? Someone could be flashing his laser at your right now without you knowing.

Tell me about UEFI and how 'sudo rm -rf /' can erase BIOS chip.

Yes, it can, especially powerful ones.
You don't see them, but they are burning your fucking EYE.

Whats the general consensus on reputable TV brands?

It can cause issues with your eyes which may lead to partial or full blindness depending on the angle it enters your lens.

you can access stuff that isn't readily available on the internet, it's definitely worth it, even if you rarely use it.

for example try finding BD rips of Miami Vice Season 5 in 720p or 1080p. You won't find it, I've looked everywhere. But it's up on a private tracker I'm a member of. Season 1-4 is easy to find, but Season 5 isn't. You also won't find Magnum BD rips easily.

Recently, every time I play a full screen game whatever program I have on my second screen becomes unclickable.

I use DisplayFusion and the only way to get the program working again is to press the screen swap button at the top right twice.

It's almost like there's an invisible window over whatever there is on the second screen. This is also a new problem and hasn't been happening for very long.

Any ideas?

It can clear the bootloader information located in the EFI chip because the contents of the chip is "linked" before the boot hard disk. Your OS will see it as part of the disk while the motheboard is in UEFI mode.

distrowatch.com/index.php?distribution=reactos

is this worth it now Sup Forums

>use phone for a year, phone becomes slow
>try and delete all of the 'downloaded' content ie netflix movies and podcasts
>factory reset phone
>all apps deleted and no longer part of the storage but some of the content mentioned earlier remain (I probably missed a few apps to clear before wiping)

How do I figure out which apps / located the 'other storage' that takes up space and manually delete it?

Why do people rip media?
I understand why I did it when I was younger bc I was poor but do ppl generally don't care for paying for goods or is it just out of convinience?
Genuine q

why are you redirecting me too Sup Forums this has been on Sup Forums's eyes for awhile now.

I pirate a lot of books and anime which are both in the interest of convenience.
Books that are generally a hassle to find, and anime which is also hard to find through legal means

>install Debian nonfree

Does the source file play properly? Does ffplay report any errors when playing it?

Also, you have 2 audio streams and are only including 1 in your output file.

>>Does the source file play properly?
Yeah it plays totally fine everything matches up but when i encode it it loses 3 seconds in a way that doesn't allow me to sync the sound with the video at all, if I sync it to one exact moment a second or so later its already out of sync. How do you know I have two audio streams but only one is in my output file? Would this really negatively affect my output to have two merged into one?

if you got some time to climb the ranks (and maybe some funds for seedbox) definitely go for it. tons of esoteric and inaccessible content to be found there

dafuq u on about? whats a geochron

can I use VPN to connect to tor and from tor to another VPN to decrease the chance of someone following me ?

support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/947242/a-temporary-profile-is-loaded-after-you-log-on-to-a-windows-vista-base

Skip down to the registry part. Ignore that it's vista.

stop watching CP

I like the UE4 model, where if you make a profit from the software, they're entitled to 5% of said profit.

the russian ad shit came back for one thread,i updates filter again...and now they are gone

is this ok?

It's been over 8 hours for me and
>knocks on wood
I haven't been a victim of ransomware

Yes. It is very easy

CP meme, like there aren't any other reasons, the government in the country to jail me if they found my communication

just answer the stupid question

What options do I have if I believe my ndis.sys and vwififlt.sys fils are corrupted? Would I just pop in my Windows disc and repair the system files or is there an easier route for me to take?

i have 1 usb what distro should i get korora is my top choice, make me decide something else.

no

>can I use VPN to connect to tor
yes
>and from tor to another VPN
it's up to the node. technically it is possible

>How do you know
ffprobe and your ffmpeg line

>two merged into one?
That's not happening; you're only getting the first.

how do I ensure both lines are in it?

tell me which things see the disk and which don't. we'll work from there

My Windows 10 thumbnails in Explorer and the browser filepicker keep resetting every time I reboot, how do I get them to save? It used to work, now it doesn't, so it may have been an update or something.

Two audio streams, one container

Debian stable on t440p- will I need to do anything beyond installation for a 1080p IPS to work properly?

What can I do to fix it?

rtorrent

thanks

map both streams or mix them into one with a filter

its less secure routing all your traffic through some unknowns (vpn), just stop it

I'd it possible to root the LG V20 on the latest update, and if so, how?

I've googled, looked on XDA and Android forums and even Reddit, tried some different methods but none of them worked.

Would this work? No clue how to mix
-ac 1 -ab 192k

Anyone know how I can fix this? It's been like this for 30 mins.

Check if you have enabled automatic downloads here

By here, I mean on the tab with mega

You should run sfc /scannow in a command prompt window to scan all system files. But if you got them filenames from a BSOD screen it doesnt necessarily mean the files are corrupt.

I got it from the MyDigitalLife forum

ac is audio channels; that's not the same as a stream.

>No clue how to mix
read the docs on ffmpeg.org

hint: amix

i'm using v1 captcha on Sup Forums now because of malwaregate
i can post in threads, but the captcha doesn't work when i try to start a thread
anyone know why

Thank you user.

For some reason, you have to use v2 when creating threads. I'm not sure why but it's been like that for a while.

halp

ok
thanks

just install gnome and be glad something actually works for a change

I have an sd card from my raspberry pi that i've been using for a while. Today I tried to reset my pi and it won't boot the os anymore. I decided to format the card but despite trying several different formatting methods nothing works. The sd card foundation formatter says its write protected. I have tried 3 sd adapters and made sure the lock was disabled. I also tried a usb adapter with no such lock. I tried diskpart, bootice, gparted, fdisk, cfdisk and others. Most of them say they are writing successfully but don't actually make any changes (and yes it is NOT mounted). In other cases I'm getting access denied.

The card has 2 partitions, one is labeled FAT16 LBA, and the other is ext4. I originally wrote a retropie img to it for my pi. I can open the ext4 partition on my linux laptop and read/copy things from it just fine. I tried changing permissions on the whole drive and deleting things. This appears to change things but when i re-insert the card the permissions and files are back.

Can I save this thing?

interested in doing programming for a living
when people throw around the term "code monkey"
what do they mean exactly

Basically someone whose work related programming projects involve boring mundane shit. Like maintaining code that's 30 years old. For as much as they get shit on it's a reliable pay check that doesn't come with too much drama.

ok
i like the reliable pay check part
i don't like the boring mundane part
and i wasn't aware there was drama involved in the programming world

Alright /sqt/ I need help
I am at my wits end here.

For the past month or so my PC has had this issue where after running for a bit the monitors will freeze for 3-5 minutes usually. BUT even though the monitors are frozen I can still move my mouse and hear background audio. After the 3-5 minutes it'll usually work normally, sometimes not.

Now, for troubleshooting so far I have attempted
Restore Point = Restore point failed and made no changes
System Reset with files intact = System reset failed and made no changes
Factory Reset = Same as above
Remove CMOS battery from motherboard = No changes
Power Cycle SSD = No changes
Swapped GPU's = Screen was black and seemed to make it worse
Swapped HDMI/DVI cables = No changes
Updated Drivers = No changes
Removed GPU and Drivers from software and reinstalled as well updated drivers = No Changes
Ran a diagnostic on my SSD and HDD = No errors were found

I still haven't tried a clean install of windows though I need to get my hands on a copy that someone else might have.
Haven't tripped swapping monitors though I don't think that'll help
Some friends think it might be the power source but I don't know.
One thing that worries me is that there was a cable fan really close to the motherboard since it had to run in between the GPU and motherboard since it wasn't long enough to go in front of the GPU. But the cable is insulated so I'm not sure if that's an issue or not

What do you guys think, what would you try or do next? I'm stumped and this is super frustrating. Should I just take it to a shop? Should I just say fuck it and make a new PC?

Well, it did find some corrupted files and after restarting it looks like everything is working just fine. Thanks again user.

EFI chip is mounted (content is mapped out and linked to a folder inside the filesystem) as R/W, so rm -rf /* delete its contents as well

Today I tried replacing my Wireless Card in my Dell XPS 13 (9360). It's a pretty common replacement job since *everyone* seems to have issues with the Killer Wireless unless they're right next to their router.

Everything went swell until I pulled off the black (aux) wireless cable. I didn't really notice at first, but it took a part of the Killer Wifi card with it (picture related - the gold part). I was extremely gentle with the thing and somehow it still happened. Needless to say, I can't connect it to the new card (Intel 8260) whatsoever thanks to the extra piece on the cable. Not sure what to do from here. I really doubt my warranty will hold having gone into the thing.

Did anyone notice user apps update being synced between multiple users? I use it to play multiple FGO accounts on the same phone, and after Oreo, every time I install a new apk update on the primary user, all other users gets updated as well, when on Nougat I had to manually install the new APK on every user profile after an update,

not same user, but where is this mount? /boot can be safely formatted with no serious issues. Just reinstall/rebuild systemd-boot.

You want to confirm it's actually worked. Windows goes a few days without activation before it bitches at you.

long story short, i'm currently with no decent pc at all, need a quick replacement on an extremely tight budget($200 at best), need to have Windows as I won't be the only one using it and people are ignorant about using other OSes.
The BeeLink BT3 Pro should be more than enough, what i'm curious about tho is how it handles light gaming.
Will it handle 2011-2012 games(which ran fine on an Athlon64 4000+ Single Core, 2GB RAM, 9800GT 512MB) well?
Can it handle more recent basic "indie-shit" HD gaming with no issues?
I did some research but when it comes to gaming, everyone only tests emulators up to the 5th gen consoles or games like Undertale and Shovel Knight, which is dumb considering my fucking netbook(1.6Ghz Atom N280, 1GB RAM, intel GMA 450) can do that as well with little to no issues, so I'd expect the BT3 Pro to be capable of doing more than that when it comes to light gaming, even if it's just a mini pc, but can't find info on that.

test