Decentralized chat general

Alright, Sup Forums. It's time to have an honest discussion about E2EE.

>SMS is compromised at the baseband
>FB/Whatsapp and Telegram are proprietary
>Wire and Signal are good but centralized
>XMPP or Riot/Matrix are the only truly secure options

Why are you using anything below pro tier? Will Wire ever provide documentation for federation?

Other urls found in this thread:

silence.im
riot.im/privacy
techbout.com/whatsapp-on-pc-bluestacks-2590/
web.whatsapp.com/
fdroid.eutopia.cz/
archive.is/Ac1Lk
signal.org/blog/signal-desktop/
techcrunch.com/2017/01/13/encrypted-messaging-platform-whatsapp-denies-backdoor-claim/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Government says terrorists use telegram. If its secure enough to bomb something, it's secure enough for me

Can someone tell me why whatsapp is bad? I'm forced to use it for work.

None of those are decentralized. But it doesn't really matter.

XMPP+OTR is the correct way to IM securely.
Use XMPP servers that support jingle if you need audio/video chat. Use a client with zrtp support for audio/video chat.

It's proprietary software. Do you know what it does? Me either.

SMS just works and everyone has it. Fuck IM faggotry

>He doesn't have a passport
>All his friends are in his trailer park

wtf r u doin

SMS does identify you if you're not using a disposable. For end-to-end encryption, use silence.im

Bear in mind though that this may be defeated by the inherent lack of privacy in pretty much any mobile phone OS.

someone redpill me on Silence vs. Matrix

I think you forgot to put Telegram in God Tier user. Don't worry we all make mistakes... i.e. Your Mom going through with her pregnancy.

>so edgy
Telegram isn't god tier and you know it.

What's the point of all this bullshit?
Like can't you and your friends just SSH into a shared server and edit a text file together?

Preach

Mad cause you don't have enough friends to justify using it huh? You're missing out user.

>implying my friends aren't on pro tier Wire

>XMPP
check the calendar oldman, it already 2017 not 1998

telegram is burnt don't use.

Matrix has more hype I think

This guy knows

see

Using Riot and Wire.

It's worse in every way. Plus, it requires SIM cards to work. It's just not as convenient as IM.

riot.im/privacy
Riot is a scam. It doesn't matter that signal is centralized.

>Riot is a scam
Could you perhaps go into more detail?

Telegram is fast and comfy as fuck.

XMPP is autism and Riot is a scam.
Wire is bloated and overall shit tier software.

>no IRC
SAGE

Why not omemo?

But you do know what every open source software you use does right?

He's talking about the fact that they collect personally identifiable data.

> not using your comfy xmpp client to chat on irc

>Signal is bundled with google services bs
>Pro tier
Will you put Duo in Pro tier list too? kek

It's owned by Facebook

Riot and XMPP are decentralized, what you are thinking of is distributed

if any moderately successful free software project does something shady it will be found out very fast. you don't need to be scouring the entire source constantly. you just need to pay attention to the source control software's history.

with that said, there's no telling what any machine you don't control is doing, which is why secure decentralized communication is vital.

How do you do that? Host the bridge yourself?

Also 99,99% of mobile apps are distributed as binaries through app stores of Google and Apple and depending on their cloud services and controlled platform. You can pretty much consider them compromised. Doesn't matter shit if Signal or Wire is free and open source. You have no idea if the source they publish is actually what you are running on your device, or if other software isn't exposing the private keys.

I need whatsapp for uni study groups but I want to ditch the time consuming smartphone meme. Is there a way to use it on the pc only? I haven‘t ever set up whatsapp on my computer, so I don‘t know how it works.

you can use anyone's transport. with the usual privacy implications. I host biboumi myself

I use Line because it just werks.

nigga grow a bone and ditch that group. universities shouldn't rely on closed software

>no Kontalk in God tier

this^
that same thing happens to me so to anyone who insists on joining a whatsapp group I send them my university email address ;)

atm I am still too reliant on them, it‘s not an option
isn‘t there a way to just use it on the desktop? idc about the privacy issues with it since I don‘t use it much, but I want to ditch my smartphone to regain concentration etc.

There is no option. Whatsapp is shit and you should get rid of it as fast as you can

no Tox
heh

techbout.com/whatsapp-on-pc-bluestacks-2590/

If you can't get past the verification you could always restore WhatsApp with Titanium Backup in the emulator (requires root).

Tox is decentralized

>what is f-droid?

you can always compile it yourself

thank you

>signal better than telegram

nice shit list faggot eater

>Hardware-level end to end encryption
>Literal FBI can't decrypt serial killer and terrorist messages
Feels patrician, mang

>Dear signal developers, please run the attached version of your server side code on your servers. I compiled it myself.

Not what I asked, freetard

Also
>heartbleed
>pressing backspace 28 times

>NO OPTION

tok kek i don't even browse Sup Forums. im a complete brainlet when it comes to this computer nerd shit but all you need to do is type in google: ''whatsapp for desktop'' and there you have it.

Alternatively, you can use BlueStacks for Windows.
Linux Mint also has a dedicated WhatsApp app you can just install from their store and it works really great.

There's also web.whatsapp.com/ but it's complete shit an you need to constantly rescan the captcha everytime you want to use it.

based apple

>almost 2018
>still no universal messenger app that let's you communicate across all messengers

Sorry dude but I have friends

what would you fags think about a distributed chan project

a text/imageboard that works locally in your browser and syncs posts between every user of the service a la BitTorrent or some other swarm protocol

it would be open source and somewhat anti-normie since it isn't just some website

I think this already exists.

Signal is back-doored via Google play services. Moxie's behavior WRT making a version that doesn't link against the proprietary play services and allowing users who don't use Google is enough to make him and Open Whisper Systems completely untrustworthy.
>Used LEGAL THREATS to stop distribution of his GPLv3 software outside of the Google Play Store
>Used LEGAL THREATS to stop development of a version that doesn't link against play services
>Dropped federation support leaving CyanogenMod users high and dry after the CM servers were shut down.
>Desktop client was previously a Chrome web application requiring a Google account
>Desktop client is now an electron application that still requires a Google account.
>Open Whisper Systems worked with WhatsApp to produce a back-doored version of their crypto for Facebook.

>HURR DURR YOU NEED XMPP+OTR+XMPP+GANOO+LOONIX+F4G TO CHAT WITH ME
>why does noone talk to me ;_;

Pure autism

First, I need friends to talking. XMPP+OTR is the best opiton for stable solution and Riot and Matrix can fight for the future.

Welcome to proprietary world.

You dropped your hat, sir

Source? I've been interested in this and haven't found much

Clearly Tox is the best option

overchan/nntpchan.

Isn't overchan just a browser that collates other chans? I'm talking about making a new chan and distributing the posts amongst the users computers

Never heard of the other one though

Another overchan.

Truly Sup Forums's best project ever.

>fdroid.eutopia.cz/
>See previous
>archive.is/Ac1Lk
>signal.org/blog/signal-desktop/
>Mea culpa, but it still uses google apis
>techcrunch.com/2017/01/13/encrypted-messaging-platform-whatsapp-denies-backdoor-claim/
I'll have you know that my tinfoil hat is a ball-cap, boot-licker.

Pantsu.cat could be better if don't stay all time down.

indeed

>clearly duct tape

>tfw Tox will never be completed
why can't Sup Forums do anything right

Check out nullchan on zeronet

>Archives/4chanX/other Sup Forums-related services
>meme VN
>bunch of projects on old /tg/ before the hot pockets went to shit and turned the board into a carcass
It's hit or miss.

What about Bitmessage? Is that thing still around?

(You)