Software doesn't have a linux button because the developer is too lazy to take one minute to compile it for linux

>software doesn't have a linux button because the developer is too lazy to take one minute to compile it for linux

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTA0NQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That's not how it works user

Linux is shit.

DDLC is like this. According to Steam it only supports Mac and Windows, yet its written in Python with Renpy and contains a launcher script with specific Linux support.

>because the developer is too lazy to take one minute to compile it for linux
So this is the power of linuxfags' brains?

AFAIK all Ren'Py games have the linux launch script by default The devs didn't list Linux because they simply didn't test the game on a Linux system.

This is true laziness
>literally takes 5 minutes to test it

Why cannot Linux get any respect? It's like a kid getting shoved in his locker at school!

Installing linux just to test a game after compiling is a lot of time wasted. They're already using a superior operating system for their production enviroment, why downgrade for the "free" (free as in freedom) retards? And even then the market share of autists using that OS isn't even big enough to fuck with it. My games are staying windows based. Nice try richard.

Also supporting an open sourced OS for something that is supphosted to "just work" like a videogame is counter productive. A lot of things can go wrong and normally people go straight to the reviews of the game itself just because we offer a Linux option (when originally designed for a better OS) so its a good practice to just cut out linux in general to avoid all the bitching and complaining.

>Installing linux just to test a game
It really doesn't take much. If too lazy, they can just use an Ubuntu Live DVD, it just werks.
> after compiling
Ren'Py is a Python engine, the name kind of suggests. They don't have to do any additional compiling.
> normally people go straight to the reviews of the game itself just because we offer a Linux option
What? Since when?

>They're already using a superior operating system for their production enviroment, why downgrade

Read the thread more carefully, they DON'T support the superior OS.

the issue is that they don't want to deal with support
there's plenty of cases of devs making linux ports and not releasing them purely due to complications or unwillingness to package or support them

Like what?

>superior OS
>can't even install updates without restarting
The only advantage your shitty OS has is more people developing software for it. The OS itself is trash.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTA0NQ

>games
just get a windows partition or a game console

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

until flatpak becomes mainstream,linux will never have proper software support.no one wants to fuck around with supporting a million distros and making sure their game is packaged both in .deb and .yum or whatever the fuck fedora uses not to mention to make sure the game is avaliable in every repo of every linux distro in existence because fuck developers.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

You are joking but debian project documentation actually calls it GNU/Linux

but i have musl/clang/busybox/plan9port/linux and i have the same problems. you port something to just linux, stallman

Memes aside. What parts of the OS actually are from the GNU project? Does it really warrant being named specifically?

>they can just use an Ubuntu Live DVD

Supported means that they offer COMMERCIAL SUPPORT you dingus,
that means that they have the obligation to mantain the linux version, also testing it "With and Ubuntu Live CD" is not a fucking rigourous test of the product deployment.
Not all distributions are Ubuntu, and shit does break a lot between library and distribution updates.
They don't want to read your fucking coredumps.

Id Software bothered to port their games to linux and you can download the binaries from their FTP, and yet they never supported the linux versiones COMMERCIALLY
DOOM3, Quake 3, ETQW, all of them ported to Linux but they never had a COMMERCIAL version.
I'm pretty sure that back in the day if you mailed TTimo to ask him about why your DOOM3 instalation was not working he would even bother
to reply to you, but he had no legal obligation to do so.
Pretty sure that DDLC devs at least use Linux casually, I mean python on Windows sucks ball ass.

What the hell is a Linux button

>not spending your diversity tax on hiring a Linux user with programming socks so you can test it.

On the DL site.

I just downloaded the Windows version off the website and it comes with a Linux executable.

I don't have a problem with a game being released so it can run on Ubuntu (but not guaranteed anywhere else), a lot of software is like that.
You recreate the things you need in order to get the game running or you use Ubuntu.
The "real" solution if you want to be safe is to make a static build or ship the libraries with the install. The distributed software model is for free software and if it was free software, you didn't need a Linux version, people make it themselves for free.

>write nontrivial software project
>want to reach as many users as possible
>make it MIT licensed
>can't offer windows build instructions because I have no idea how to build software on windows
>attempt to look it up
>everyone recommends crosscompiling through gcc-mingw-x64
>oops i have to crosscompile all of my libraries as well
you know what fuck this, fuck windows users
you're not worth my time

Pretty much everything but the kernel

If it's actually worth using, we'll build it ourselves. It's probably not, though, as this particular piece of software was written by someone too inept to build it on more than one platform.

>Not all distributions are Ubuntu, and shit does break a lot between library and distribution updates.
Testing on Ubuntu is enough. It's the only distro (other than "SteamOS") Valve cares about. Works on Ubuntu = works on "Linux". If it doesn't, it's your problem you're not running Ubuntu.

Go drink some bleach, shit for brains.

arent preinstalled vms a thing?