Stop using harmful software Sup Forums

Stop using harmful software Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

servint.net/university/article/keeping-a-tight-ship-ssh-logins-root-vulnerabilities-and-user-privilege-escalation/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>nano and emacs are harmful

you can have them when you pry them from my cold dead hands

harmful to what?

to you

Uriel's table is such an odd mix of good recommendations and, basically, impractical virtual signaling about software simplicity. Yes, YAML sucks (just read the spec -- it's horrible) and tmux is better than GNU screen. But CSV? It is a non-standard and notorious for small but deadly incompatibilities between its different implementations. If you don't want to fuck over your users with their financial data, you are literally better off generating and parsing ODS and/or XLS even though they are big and ugly formats. Tutorial D is not a realistic alternative to SQL databases today. DjVu is a page-oriented format like PDF and would make a for a terrible replacement for EPUB for e-readers. Etc.

According to this picture Windows isn't harmful, so I'll keep using that.

Who told you this was blacklist and not a whitelist?

>left column is literally called "harmful things"

>muh harmful software
>commits sudoku
proof that muh harmful software is a meme and debian is shit

I agree with 98% of what he says. But I can never agree with him on hatred for GNU. Thanks to GNU the Linux Kernel and FOSS blew up and now we have one of the most awesome operating system in existence.

If we can apply this philosophy on programming for the free software community - we'd have much better quality tools available today.
Too many substandard programmers think they can solve issues with python, c++, objc, and perl when superior options are available.
Simple, lean, logical programming solutions are in desperate need nowadays, and this was his strongest argument.

just put postscript then.
what if i tell you it's because of GNU we have such substandard programmers?
(((GPL))) is harmful

why should I take advice from a mentally ill sand nigger?

>prototype-based OO
No, thanks. The best OO systems like Smalltalk and CLOS aren't prototype-based. Moreover, multiple dispatch is pretty much the best known way to make OO pleasant to use, and multiple dispatch makes no sense with prototypes.
>just put postscript then.
Are you suggesting PostScript instead of EPUB? It has the same problem as PDF (unsurprisingly) and DjVu.

>just put postscript
Yeah, let's use a Turing complete programming language with a 774 page language specification for read-only document rendering.

Hey, it works for Web applications.

which are not read-only static documents

No, but they tend to lump read-only static documents together with dynamic content.

I always use this picture for a sanity check.
If I'm looking for something and Uriel's proposed alternatives "sound good" I always realize that my mental state is worsening and I need to go buy cigarettes.

What do they put in your cigs to make you prefer XML to JSON, GNU info to man pages, UTF-16 to UTF-8, Subversion to Git/Mercurial?

*YOU* are the sand nigger here.

>no argument
How is it relevant?

Still, scripting languages have their own place and condemning python, ruby, perl and other at the same time won't do good. Shell scripts are notoriously horrible to maintain and you don't want to write every single program in C. For example, scientists use scripting languages because they don't want to manage memory and write C every time they want to do statistical analysis. Also, scripting with lua in games isn't a bad idea. I don't reject the concept of using script languages to manage user interfaces.

Hell, scheme is used by almost nobody, even common lispers far more prevalent them "schemers". And there are good reasons for that.

Who is this soy boy?

he's extremely correct about UTF-8 vs 16

>PDF vs DjVu
Didn't know djvu could deal with vector graphics. Always thought djvu was better only for scanned documents.

Neither DjVu nor plain PostScript support forms.
Then again, NEETs probably don't do a lot of paper work or deal with government agencies.
>inb4 muh snake, don't tread on me, kill the government

>pushing interactive elements into format made for static documents
>implemented by single proprietary company
>pushed as standards for interfacing with gov
sorry if I see a problem here

HAHAHHAAHHAHAA FUCKING WEAK BETA

PIC RELATED IS ALPHA CHAD THAT WILL SNATCH YOUR GF IN SECONDS

he's the suckless founder btw

>SSH is harmful
Why?

Suckless : Uriel :: Ayn Rand : Nietzsche.

>emacs
>harmless in any way
Cuck.

>less harmful editors
>moe not listed
Delet this desu

because it's insecure and can grant access privileges

>Go
>less harmful

Would be named ish if so.

From an opsec pov, if they do manage to exploit your SSH configuration they can escalate privileges to root user.
servint.net/university/article/keeping-a-tight-ship-ssh-logins-root-vulnerabilities-and-user-privilege-escalation/