Intel 2500k

Is it time already to upgrade the 2500k?

Do you have slowdowns and bottlenecks? No? Then don't bother

I have a 560 Ti which sucks already, but don't know whether to upgrade the graphics without upgrading the cpu would work in my case.

Do you have an incredible need to throw it away for something shiny and new? Feeling empty inside when using that old thing? Yes? Then replace it.

Tbh the 3570k would have been better, you get pci 3.0 which is definitely a step up, also faster ram and faster usb.

Trade off is thermal jizz though, still i think it's worth it. I'm still running a 3570k with my gtx 1080, it's clocked at 4.2 and I've had no real problems to speak of.

Even bought a ryzen 1700 and had no second thoughts about sticking it in my server instead of my desktop, desu the 3570k runs fine, so why replace it right?

So you're saying that just upgrading the gpu would work with the 2500k?

Try upgrading graphics card and see. No harm will be done.

2500k still gives really good performance. Up to a gtx1060 you won't face a bottleneck in games

It will with what I posted
Upgrading your CPU will cost a lot more cause you'll need a new mobo, ram, and possibly cooler

Bought a gtx 1070 a few month ago, probably some bottleneck but nothing that I'm noticing. Waiting for zen+ before considering an upgrade.

Not yet. Either wait for Ryzen 2 or when Intel ditches Core in their making scheme, whichever comes sooner.

>making
*naming

might aswell buy a i5-4690k second hand. throw a liquid cooler on it and you are set until 2020.

m8 I'm on a i5 2400 and used to have a 560ti. It was a good GPU but GPUs have improved way more over CPUs. Even some £200 card will give you big gains, probably for the same power consumption too.

Nope, modern enough.

I share your suffering OP too.
I got 2500 but it feels there's no need for an upgrade since over 5 years and I'd like to get something newer and less energy consuming, but there's just no advantage in buying a new cpu.

No

t. 2600k user

Haswell is barely faster than SB, also it would imply getting a new motherboard as well. Fuck that.

Upgrade your GPU first. I have a 2500K paired with an RX 480. Works breddy gud in most games.
I'm thinking about upgrading to 2600K/2700K though to reduce stutter in CPU hungry games.

1155 mobos that support overclocking are kind of hard to come by new anymore and very expensive second-hand.

A person is much better off selling the combo if they want to upgrade, especially if they have one of the better binned CPUs. I say this as a dude still rockin a 2500K

I said this wrong.

What I meant was that decent 1155 mobos have an unusually high resale value and you'd almost have to be an idiot not to cash in and do it proper if you really want to upgrade.

>have a 2600
>have a shitty chink OEM motherboard
>plug 1050 into shitty chink OEM motherboard
>pc won't boot

Have a 3770k, oc'd it a bit and can't complain after replacing my gpu with a 1080. Being at a higher resolution for gaming means the cpu is even less of a concern, pretty glad I'm not playing in 720p.

As soon as octa-cores become mainstream rather than 6-cores which are just now becoming the standard I'd say then would be a good time. If you're not using any programs that require more than 4 cores than there is no reason but once 8 cores become as cheap I'd say it would feel weird at the very least and at most it will actually be financially sensible to upgrade

power consumption even on graphics cards have come way down. I wonder what the deal is with slow growth of cpu technology

I own an i7 930 and a GTX 1070, rarely see a bottleneck in any game, and I'm on 1440p. I have OC'd the 930 to 3.6Ghz though, I could go higher but I just can't bother. On stock there definitely was more bottleneck, specially on GTA V.
Bear in mind that there will be dips to below 40 fps on CPU intensive games. It doesn't bother me, and it honestly only happens like 10% of the time, the other 90% you'll be seeing smooth 60+ frames.

i still have my 3820 @ 4.9ghz it barley bottlenecks my 1080 ti

>i5 2500k
>gtx 1060