Why do people unironically like reactos?

why do people unironically like reactos?
it's the most pointless serious project i've ever seen

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS
youtube.com/watch?v=ldYCM6F3Xhw
youtube.com/watch?v=mLwn_TbBntI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>botnet-free version of Winshit
>Pointless

t. currysoft damage control squad

Can't wait for it to reach stable. It's one of the few open source projects I'm looking forward to succeed.

I agree. Imho once it hits some basic utility threshold, overnight it will replace 30% of windows machines. I don't think they are that far off either.

>Can't wait for it to reach stable.

People wait for that since 2007.

try it in a vm. every point release this year has been a significant improvement over the last.

20 rupees have been deposited to your Windows Live account.

Well that sounds good then. Maybe they finally get their shit together.

Can it run the .NET framework?

>a project that is meant to replace Windows
>shilling for Microsoft
Pick one and only one, retard

Someone give me a quick rundown about what stuffs work / dont work so far.

If this project gains recognition, can Microshit kill it with lawsuits?

they're not doing anything illegal

It is not yet useful for day to day. There are bugs everywhere in applications. But many random apps install and run and the weirdness is dropping quickly.

on 0.4.7 my test install of libreoffice went fine with the images missing from the installer window. The apps ran. I almost created a chart in the spreadsheet.

That is a big application that must touch a lot of stuff, and it mostly worked.

They only recently moved to github. Contributors might jump at ReactOS now.

Try reading the posts again.

How deluded can one person possibly be

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS
Jumpt to internal audit

shouldn't you want all open source projects to succeed by default?
what are ones you don't want to succeed?

No. Normies will never know about this project

How many normies actually install their own shit. If your companies IT department says it works why not install it everywhere company wide. If Mom and Dad keep fucking up their machine and reactos works better, what are you going to do for them?

>ReactOS starts gaining steam
>Microsoft leaks parts of win2k source code and makes anonymous claims on usenet and forums that ReactOS is actually using code from the source leak
>ReactOS devs have no choice but audit their entire codebase, every single line against the win2k leak.
>All the developers that were part of this audit process were forever banned from contributing to ReactOS as they had to read leaked win2k source to compare
>This process takes just over 6 years
It's actually a fucking miracle the project is even still around.

if you smell poo, they've sent a hit squad after you
windows clones beware the hipster indian

Reverse-engineering Windows binaries breaks EULA, so yes, that IS illegal.

Systemd

> Compatibility with:
> Windows Server 2003
Oki-doke...

Decompiling is illegal, but reverse-engineering is not.
WINE is reverse-engineering of Windows API, no problem 900% legal.

Read EULA.

EULA isn't a law.

Listen, you have a magic black box, that does some thing and by EULA you are not allowed to disassemble it.
But. There is nothing illegal of making the same magical box, that does the same thing, but slightly different.

It is like third-party body panels, does the same thing, but not OEM.

Change icons to Windows XP style, and you will be able to fool everyone.

>EULA
Lel

Eventually it's going to have better compatibility than Windows itself. I saw there were plans to run 16bit binaries on x64, even Windows doesn't do this, you either get x16+x32 or x32+x64, never all 3.

Probably not important to most people but interesting nonetheless, they have bug parity for the targeted Windows version kind of like how compatability mode does but even that seems better in Wine than some later versions of Windows.

Both of these things are good for old games and will come back to WINE as well. With ReactOS gaining popularity nobody loses. People get an open NT system and WINE gets enhanced in turn, allowing more freedom of choice to people even if developers keep making Windows only software, it doesn't mean you're stuck with Windows.

Eat Ur Lulla user

it's still winshit. it still sucks.
why not invent something new or at least use something better instead

OpenGL pass-through works.

What a stupid and empty post. What about NT sucks in your opinion? Why can't these people re-implement it? What should they be contributing to instead that really needs it? It's not like there aren't already several different operating systems out there that people are working on too, it's not like these people working on React is detrimental in any way.

I hate naysayers like you, it makes you look lazy when you criticize people for trying something.

you can already run 16/32/64bit windows programs at the same time in wine

They share a large portion of code.

Does it really work that way? It seems unfair. Shouldn't Microsoft check their code since it's them making an accusation?

Nope, because ReactOS devs did not audit the MS code
Also the code was leaked by a third party company who ported internet explorer to solaris years before the leak happened

Even if windows is a shit implementation of a shit overall design, and enormous amount of high quality software has been written for the platform. You run an OS for the applications.

this

Anything electron-based

I heard something about Russia supporting development because they don't want to be part of the MS botnet. Is it true, what have they done.

>Eventually
Yeah, like, around 50 years later.

Its what the world uses.
A while back a bunch of grammarians and linguistics fags decided we needed a world language, that English was shit. They created Esperanto. Thats basically the foundation of your post.
Its realatively easy to create an alternative to something as long as that something is understood. The hard task is getting people to use it.

You mean a jew (((coincidence))) tried to get his larping language widespreadly used?

why do people unironically like to shitpost?
it's the most pointless useless thing i've ever seen

Because that's not how companies work, retard. (or should I say, NEET as you know shit about companies)

run it on real hardware or GTFO

>Meanwhile millions of geniuses open sourcing shit up still argue about what coat of paint their shitty OS uses. Programs and applications be damned

>Run 16bit binaries
For what purpose in 2017+ ?

old gayms

It will never be x64 right?

Why is react os harder to dev than wine?

Honestly it's probably easier when they've got dev tools setup properly for it.

Why not just use dosbox

what is GNU Hurd

Because no matter what that abundance of Windows-only software exists and it's ReactOS's goal to allow us to continue to use the software without having to rely on dead insecure operating systems.

youtube.com/watch?v=ldYCM6F3Xhw

Whoa, used to be the colors would fuck up if you tried to install Guest Ext. on ReactOS.
Lookin' good!

>why do people unironically like reactos?
Same reason as ArcaeNovae or whateve that OS2/Warp project is called.

People need support for Windows Server 2003 once 2019 rolls around and ends it. Getting FOSS Windows is a neat bonus too.

You see that, Sup Forums? That's the sound of (((Microsoft))). It's afraid.

This.

not wimdows until it can play my whole steam library

fucking this

>implying anyone is afraid of hacked up windows clone
Im sure they are literally shaking

Not all games work on dosbox.

Hey Bill.

I assumed ReactOS was a javascript framework somehow coerced into an operating system, and I'd always had a negative gut reaction based on that.
I guess I'd never actually looked it up. Happy to hear that's not the case

>why do people unironically like reactos?
>unironically
as opposed to ironically using it? what kind of fucking poser would say that? thats the most idiotic thing i've ever fucking heard on this god damn board.

this is one of the few projects that i have donated to. i dont even know why because im a linux user.

Does reactOS have lincuck subsystem? can I use terminal and install my usual stuff? If so I'm actually interested desu

Considering how hard Microsoft is shitting the bed with Windows as a service, I would love to have an OpenNT.

It is enforceable, so yes, it's the law, you naive child.

If you do something that you don't have the right to do you can get sued, it's that simple.

>Decompiling is illegal
Only in murrica, as far I know in the rest of the world decompiling is legal.

It's not harder, but ReactOS have very few devs and almost no money.

People has been waiting for a stable reactos since it started on 1996

Why not just invoke the binary like every other program on your system if you can? Deprecating dosbox isn't a bad thing.

How does anyone handle global internet porjects like this one? What if someone decompiled the code and submits a patch, the author of the patch being outside of US jurisdiction. Can they legally accept the patch?

I started to learn programming just to contribute to ReactOS
We need it more than ever and I wish more Sup Forumsentoomen contributed to it too

proprietary programs are encrypted so that you cant just decompile them

>as opposed to ironically using it?
Are you some kind of idiot? What else would they mean. A lot of people use certain operating systems ironically, look at the fucking desktops threads we've had here for years.

decompiling is not illegal.
decompiling and copy and pasting is illegal
decompiling is considered reverse engineering.
all companies do this.

this.

systemd would've been fine if it hadn't tried to be more than just an init system.

I still don't know why people don't just use launchd.
>but the config files use XML
Then fork it, it's not like swapping out the parser and translating existing XML files would be difficult, that's such a small part of the project.
youtube.com/watch?v=mLwn_TbBntI

dosbox doesn't run 16bit windows programs
you can run 16bit windows in dosbox, then run the game, but then that requires non-free software (windows), and is no different to running windows in a VM (because dosbox is a VM, just a special kind that comes with its own OS as well)

because systemd is for linux and uses linux kernel features.

launchd is garbage appleware.

i guess i could install it on a usb and try it out, maybe it could replace my windows 10 bloated shit.

The work being done here means possibly native support for windows binaries to be run in other environments. I don't understand why you don't find that useful because wine a shit.

What makes it garbage? Especially when compared against systemd.

Can I still play vidya like on Windows 10 and not be guilt tripped by the Sup Forumsuys?

Its still in alpha guy!

I have a raging erection from hanging out with my super hot cousin, you should care about my judgment or the judgment of anyone else here.

>not shilling for the superior LOJBAN language