I've been buying iPhones for years now but my last one recently broke and I've decided I don't really need or use half...

I've been buying iPhones for years now but my last one recently broke and I've decided I don't really need or use half of the features on the newest iPhone models and that I'd be fine with a decent lower mid-range phone instead.

If I only wanted to pay less than $300 / £250 what should I buy? The best options seem to be the Samsung Galaxy A3 or J5, or the Moto G5s. Thanks for any suggestions

I got the J7 perx. No complaints

And yes I'd like it to be a non-apple phone because i'm kind of sick of Apple now. Especially with the animoji stuff they're doing, it seems ridiculous and gimmicky imo.

motorola moto g5 plus

Yes I was looking at that option too.

What about that 720x display, does it look bad?

my dad got me one of these for Christmas. anything I should know? guess I'm gonna get a case its worth too much compared to the mediatek POS i have now.

>I've been buying iPhones for years
What does that even mean?
How many did you buy? And why?

I've got the a5, which is just a bigger a3. I like it a lot. Fingerprint sensor is finicky sometimes. That's my main complaint. It plays games like a champ. The glass construction makes it feel premium too, like an S7. I compared it side by side with my brother's S7 and it looks almost exactly the same. Since it's glass, you probably will want a case for it. I got 3 because this was my first time getting a case and I wanted to try all the options. Spigen makes the nice ones. It's easily rootable with CFauto root, too.

The specs are good but it kind of looks a bit chunky and plasticky?

Like 5 phones over the last 7 years and I suggested my parents buy a few iPhones too.

The A5 looks nice but it's more expensive here in the UK like $370/£270 which is more than I wanted to pay.

You mention the A3 but that has only a 720p screen and I'm worried that will look shitty?

Well I can't help you there, although I don't believe it's that big a deal on a smaller sized phone. A smaller screen does tend to have less pixels inherently. I used to use a tiny phone to browse Sup Forums all night and it never bothered me.

Iphone se are cheap as fuck now

Samsungs lag like motherfuckers unless you have S8

The camera is kind of weak, and there's this issue where the camera sometimes fails to load up, though maybe it's been resolved in more recently manufactured phones. And I wish it had USB-C. Otherwise it's pretty nice.

S7.

iPhone SE is way more expensive than the options here?

>The specs are good but it kind of looks a bit chunky and plasticky?
That's true it be a bit on the chunky side, depending on how slim you want your phones, but plasticky? Nah, just slightly, the only plastic's on the rim outside the body. The back panel's all metal. A non-issue if you use a wallet-style flip case.

I've had a G5 Plus for a couple of months now and I've been very happy with it. Great phone at a good price!

>Samsungs lag

Anyone have the A3 (2017)? Is this a good phone? I HATE laggy phones

Not really?

SE was £270 from Argos/John Lewis a few weeks ago.

I got the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4, with 4 GB RAM and 64 GB ROM for $175. Works great.

A5 guy here. I just looked up the specs on the a3 vs my phone. The processor is only marginally slower, so that won't limit it (comparing to my a5, which runs smoothly) . 2gb of RAM on the a3 though, ehhh. You might have trouble with that. I cruise around 2gb of ram usage all the time and that 3rd gig is handy. And 16gb of internal storage? Fuck that. I wouldn't recommend the a3 if you're a heavy user looking for a reasonably priced phone that can play the latest games.

OK thanks for that