Do all modern thin laptops have coil whine?

"perfection is a sin the should never be apart of our life"
- a fat neet

No.

Yup, most of ot is due to integrated graphics

not the based macbooks

I never really got this whole thin maymay. Every single laptop is going for this “ultrabook” shit with either a shitty dual core, or a quad core with bad thermal management.

Are people such scrawny and wimpy armlets that they can’t carry a little extra weight? Is this what Sup Forumsfags are referring to when they call people soyboys?

These laptops show that mobile computers are becoming fashion accessories like phones have

problem is there is no choice - they design everything towards thin now, processors have hit a clock speed ceiling so all they can do is add more cores or reduce watt consumption

you have to have a thin ultrabook if you want a laptop with current specs, no choice - even thinkpad T series new models are almost as thin as ultrabooks

W520 has it when I overclock the backlight and run it off the battery

Not the thinnest, but I have a 13" 2013 rMBP with no coil whine or any other sounds.

The 13" Whitebook it replaces had pretty bad whine.

>business class doesn't exist

Not anymore.

...it does have an external drive (series of WD Passports) plugged into it most of the time though, which do make noise, throw heat, and fair every 2-3 years. Not that solid-state is the end-all because the original SSD in this Macbook also died, and suddenly, not slowly-with-hope-of-recovery as with the platter drives.

Only pieces of shit that have Windows installed when they ship from the factory

>fashion accessories
>become uglier
I'd say it become more bland and tasteless just like how normie consume pigs ruined smartphone fashion and innovation.

>fashion accessories
This. It’s sad that the whole iPad mentality has become so prevalent. Nobody cares about their mobile computers, and yes I said “computers”. Apparently that’s becoming a dirty word now.
Tempted to get one of those “mobile workstation” lappys sometime. Maybe a nice 15-inch model to keep a portable form factor.

Pretty much all of them have Windows installed on them at one point, desu. Even devices shipping with "no operating system" from the factory often just have their partition table(s) overwritten.
For example, if you ordered such a device from Lenovo and ran testdisk on it, you could recover a NTFS partition that directly boots into a non-activated Win7 system that autoruns a bunch of Chinese diagnostics software.
That's not happening e.g. with HP on the other hand, because that has diagnostics in the firmware already.

how so? laptops with a gpu don't have this?

I've been thinking of buying this lappy for some time now. Other than the coil whine, are there any major issues? How does it run?

My surface book 2 whines like a bitch

not coil wine it's speaker interference from something like an ssd

confirmed, but only if you run windows on them
xps 13 has documented coil whine issues
i bought it anyway, wiped the hd without even booting windows
installed guhnoo slash loonix on it
totally silent

g/f ended up wanting one
booted win 10 on hers once for the hell of it
coil whine
wiped hd, repeat process above
also totally silent now

MacBooks don't have coil whine because the dump a shitton of glue over all the transistors, and seal everything up with glue.

Some have, some doesn't.
Tried replacing ALL fucking coil - helped.

i don't know you but somehow i suspect your taste is awful

I want a small laptop because I often have to carry two when traveling, the other being for work.

I'm more annoyed that fat laptops ALL have disastrously bad build quality. You can have a powerful laptop with a huge battery, but it will fucking fall apart if you take it out of your room. Razers are the best compromise in that sense, but they also have thermal issues and cost a kidney.

I was mostly referring to older business-class laptops. I have no real knowledge of big gaymen laptops

ipad pro doesn't have
>what is a computer anyways

>quad core with bad thermal management
werks on my machine senpai
t. gentoo user on an i5 8250u 4x3.4GHz

does coil whine actually mean anything beyond annoyance? does it impact the integrity of the hardware? will it get worth with time?

worse*

I got an ultrameme because I don't do much besides doc and spreadsheet editing. Most of the time I'm just viewing PDFs. Its nice to have a thin and light machine to manhandle and pass around if needed.

I wish this could fix the coil whine on my T450s. I run a totally fresh ubuntu install and it buzzes like a NES game whenever it goes into a power saving C state.

unless you regularly run off battery, just disable c state in the bios

how bad is it? do you actually hear it if you don't try to?

Sounds like you got lucky, I only ever ran linux on mine and the whine was bad enough to make me sell the thing

I've had a whining shitty PSU (no 80 plus) running for 6 years and never had an issue.