/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-doogee-s60
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_5_new_name_xiaomi_redmi_5_plus-news-28799.php
telecomtalk.info/xiaomi-mi-max-3-rumoured-to-feature-a-7inch-full-hd-display-and-snapdragon-630-soc/171682/
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mlhg.screenfilter
youtu.be/RZBlqFOzzlw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Where does everyone in Aus buy their stuff? I got an axon 7 from gearbest and it was faulty, returning it for an lg g6 from aliexpress. Is it gonna be just as shitty?

Kogan, ebay, ozbargain deals. Never let me down
Sorry to hear about the faulty, my experience with alie has always been fantastic but I've never bought anything over $30 from there

Is the doogee s60 the best rugged smartphone?

kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-doogee-s60

Is Android Authority a good source?

I think they are, their videos are pretty good to me

>Have a Note5 for my birthday 2 years ago
>My first high end smartphone
>So good I made my dad get one for himself, a lot of spreadsheets and work stuff so stylus is pretty useful for him
>Mine is slowly dying due to age, cracked glass, battery drains faster, etc.
I'm thinking on getting an iPhone X up next. Considering the N5 never disappointed me should I get the Apple or a Note8? Price is irrelevant to me. I just want a fast and good phone for social media and photography/video.

I own the Note 8, my brother has the Mate 10 Pro and my dad has the X. I'd rate them in that order, the Note 8 literally has never let me down so far and if you don't like the size and stylus then go for Mate 10 Pro or like v30+/s8+/Pixel 2 XL/OP5T
Best this year I'd say

Best

How's the X interface and fluidty? Never had and iPhone so I don't know what to expect from iOS, wish I could play with one before purchasing, as for the Note it would be a seamsless transition from the 5 to the 8

IPhone se or x compact. Help. Leaning towards iPhone for longer updates and leaning towards x compact because of freedums.

>Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 not coming, Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus takes its place
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_5_new_name_xiaomi_redmi_5_plus-news-28799.php

depending on what are you using the phone. If only you plan on use it for social media/photos then go for the iphone. If freedom is that important go x compact flash a rom and no gapps

There are a few bq phones that are quite good. I even saw the bq x for around 200 Euros recently. You can also take a look at the Motorola budget line like the moto g5 I think. Nokia 5 is available for 170 Euros I think.

X is fine. Probably the only thing that can run ios11 perfectly. Notifications are still just a clusterfuck, and I don't really like the swipe closing, feels unpredictable. But it's an Iphone, does what it says simply and thats it. It's a good phone none the less. Really smooth.
It might take you a day to get used to the note 8, but then you're in, there's no looking back. It's fucking beautiful and the user experience is amazing, especially if you ignore touchwiz, which has been improved considerably, but is still touchwiz

WHICH TO BUY:

SAMSUNG J3 / J5 / J7 / A3
or
MOTO G5S

UK here i'm looking for a sim free phone for under £230 and I need to pick one of these (don't want to buy any cheap chink branded phones like ximi or huawei etc)

>according to some pajeet mod
eh, not impossible still

Thinking of switching off my 2 year old iPhone 6S Plus to OnePlus 5T. Is this a good move? I don't do much on my phone now, browse web, use gps, and play some games. Is the camera terrible? I don't need it to be great, but would use it to take pictures.

Does the thing also not get a lot of software updates? Most stuff I have read dings the camera and software refresh cycle. I'm in the US and have Mint SIM for service. Thanks!

carrier: EE
budget: £350 and under ( could maybe stretch to £400)
Wanted features: Good signal, good battery life, decent screen, high quality back camera, headphone jack.

>touchwiz
>fast

lol

Had my Note8 for about a couple of months now. Everything about it is perfect. I've had a couple of freezing issues with Snapchat and a couple game but upon some light google-fu it's because they are shit entirely for android. Everything else runs great and fast. But I am still trying to learn how to take good shots in Pro mode for the camera.
Anyway, I have an Incipio case on it and lately I have been getting drunk a lot and waking up with it fallen on the ground or just dropping it in general from pocket height onto hardwood and tile and no fucking damage at all at least externally. Best 30 bucks ever.

ZUK Z2

>I haven't used touchwizz since 2012
Fuck off.
I would go with the Note8. That's packing uptodate everything unlike apple products plus that Notch is buttfucking ugly. You will have a better social media experience with it as well if not the same.

Yes, good camera, updates will only be revealed in time but user pushed will always exist. Its a good phone

Ive got an S6 as a spare phone, its basically perfect except for the piss poor battery life. Ive read around that its possible to replace the battery with an S7 edge one.. is it worth the trouble though?

Kind of split between just selling it or upgrading the battery.

Absolutely not. Almost no fact checking, reviews are shit. Just look at how they do their photos in them. Several times some dudes been like "yeah I took these pictures through a window because it was raining outside, but it's pretty obvious the camera is lacking".

>Literally the same specs as my Redmi Note 4X
Why are the still releasing everything with SD625s?
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

BH had the Moto Z Play for 250 yesterday and I bought it. I currently have a Note 4 (SD805 version). How much of a downgrade is this going to be?

I really liked the interchangeable batteries of the Note 4, but goddamn I get like maybe 11 hours usage with 2.5 hours of screen on time and I just can't deal with that anymore.

I read somewhere that the V20's second screen is actually part of the main screen. Does that mean that if I have that on while the main display is sleeping that it eats battery just like having always on notifications on other non OLED screens?

Iphone 8 or pixel 2 gents

Which is simply the better phone

Not sure about relative performance, but you'll get infinite battery life and a good enough SOC that won't be ridiculously fast but probably won't ever feel slow aside from 3D games.

That's really what I'm after. I'd rather not get anxiety about battery life like I currently do. I really only use my phone for messaging, browsing, and Spotify. No games or anything so a mid range gpu is probably fine. Considering picking up the power pack mod, best buy has it clearanced to 37 bucks. I know the battery life of the phone is pretty ridiculous to start, but instead of paying 20 for a case, why not spend a bit more and get the mod that acts as a case (sorta).

I want to buy a new phone and I need to decide between
Lg g6 and xiaomi mi6
Where I live they cost roughly the same which one would be better for taking photos and all around use
I plan to install android oreo on both

pixlel 2

I just ordered the lg g6 from what ive heard its god tier for its price, a quick search of the mi6 specs is telling me that the only edge it has is 6gb of ram and a newer chipset

>social media
just know that androids suck at snapchat no matter the device

G5S
Practically stock Android with no pre-installed bloatware shit.

Bought a Pixel 2 XL. Should I return it and buy a note 8 or iPhone x? The only thing that interests me is GOOD zoon quality inside of the viewfinder, not outside of it.

I use my phone as makeshift binoculars because I'm blind.

I also use it for remotely connecting to my desktop in order to do some work.

My previous phone was a Pixel XL

yes

G6 or Nokia 8, XZ1, OP5, got a few options there. G6 can be picked up for

What's the sound quality on non-Quad-DAC LG G6?

As there's effectively no hope for root on H870DS I'm ready to sacrifice supposedly great sound to just get some goddamn phone already to replace my OPO that served me well and lived through a lot.

Looking at Xiaomi Mi Note 3
its around 290€ all in all from aliexpress

What other phones should I look at in 5-5.5" size range?

I have around 500 AUD budget (with some flexibility) for a new phone. What should I get?

Anyone here use iOS? I just changed from android and I used to use clover to browse le 4chins. Fortune seems nice but I can’t jailbreak since I am on the latest iOS. Does anyone know how to get fortune without using shady VPNs and shit.

The iPhone X.

Can’t afford it? Get a job.

amazon has it brand new for around £350

mi a1 is 5.5"
If you want to spend more the pixel 2 is 5"

samsung a5 2017

The note 8 looks perfect. I'm trying to find a justification for purchasing it since I got a oneplus 3t a year ago. When should we expect a price drop for it?

When S9 and Note 9 are announced, but it's still gonna keep being expensive for a long while. Even Note 5 prices are still more than half of what it used to be.

Download the fortune app apk on your computer and use cydia impactor to get it on your iphone

Daily reminder to never buy an Huawei phone outside of Europe chinkland and USA otherwise you'll be stuck with the same version of Android forever.

Nokia 5/6 or Moto g5

I have a Moto g4 play running official lineage, all i need. Moto g4 play are retarded cheap these days. If you want the smallest screen and price get this one.

>Moto g5
xiaomi redmi 4 will get you better SoC, 625 instead of 440
and much larger battery,4100 vs 2700 I think
and all metal body, infra, fingerprint,...

only question is LTE if you can get some redmi with global or if you make heavy use of it..

He specifically asked for non xiaomi ones you retarded nigger shill

After switching to Linux full time, I’m replacing my iPhone 6+ with an Android phone.

A lot of “flagship” phones like the 5T however fast, look pretty cheaply made. What’s the Apple of Android manufacturers? I don’t care much about software as I will be running a custom ROM. From my uninformed guesses Samsung and Sony seem to make the best hardware judging by appearance. Am I wrong?

if you mean literal applel of android then it's obviously google with the pixlel 2

Make sure your future purchase does actually have custom ROMs or at least unlocked bootloaders.

There is no Apple in Android, every manufacturer fills the market with all sorts of phones they can possibly produce. Samsung is generally considered the best, but you may be losing a lot by installing custom ROMs there, Sony is a bit better with being open but no better in actual hardware than the likes of LG, OnePlus is the price/performance purchase that is perhaps the most open towards modding and custom ROMs and while I only have the first one I have no qualms about its build quality.

Pixel 2 is a good option, yes, if you don't need the headphone jack.

I’m doing the same, but I chose the 5T.
Do check the custom ROM support for the phone you choose beforehand, or you might make a big mistake.

I was looking at trading my iPhone for an S7 edge which has official Lineage support, I read that it’s a great phone.

What is the general consensus on the Blackberry motion?

Huge battery, sturdy, secure, fast, big, recently released. Honestly i don't see any downsides except for it being expensive.

I got a used LG G6 for € 250 did I do good Sup Forums?

SC recently announced that they're revamping their Android app Soon™, so this might not be the case for much longer, thankfully.

what are the thoughts on buying zte Axon 7 in 2018?

SoC is 820

Looking at an almost new Xperia XZ Premium for 340 € and really wondering if I should pull the trigger or go for a similarly priced LG V20 after all...

If you can handle the literal edge, yes.

My Zenfone 2 just died, recommend me a phone lads

To those interested in Verizon's $300 off a Pixel 2XL offer, despite being payed incrementally over a 2 year payment plan, try talking to your csr. They really want you to buy a phone from them, and might be able to work it so that you are able to get $300 off in a lump sum if you pay in full at the store.

$550 for a pixel 2xl is a decent enough deal for those interested.

I really feel like buying a Razer Phone, it's seems really tempting with the 8GB of RAM. I currently have a Honor 5x that I bought for $100 during the Amazon Prime Day last year. Is it worth it, lads?

Its a good phone, there's just better if you're happy to pay

I mean, I'm more than happy to pay more than $500, I've used budget cheap phones all my life. I'm ready to have an actual decent phone.

This moto G4 got water damaged a while back. It was switched off right away and dried for about 4 days. So... What does it want to tell me? The recovery mode says that the device is loading but I don't really think it is. Any idea what the problem could be? I can't really intepret what the behaviour of the device is signalising.
((I figured this would be the best place to ask while causing the least amount of disturbance.))

Note 8, Pxl 2 XL, v30+, mate 10 pro are probably the top of the table right now

>7 inch Xiaomi Mi Max 3

Goddamn I hope this shit comes true:

telecomtalk.info/xiaomi-mi-max-3-rumoured-to-feature-a-7inch-full-hd-display-and-snapdragon-630-soc/171682/

Do I try to fix my redmi note 3 or do I move onto the 4x?

is it worth getting the op5 instead if i dont want to spend the extra money

My "eye filter" app only filters th screen but not the notification tray.

What app will do this?

App I use is "EyeFilter" and I'm on Android O. Android N never gave me this issue.

Man how do so many people buy flagship phones? I spent $320 on my phone which is the price of a 16 thread x86 CPU. Are the $700 phones really that much faster at web browsing?

>USA
>Verizon

Should I get a moto z play for $320? Looking for a good, cheap, durable phone with an sd card slot and not shit battery life. This phone seems pretty good but it's more than a year old, anything newer I should get instead? The Z play is pretty much the top of my price range.

I'm pretty keen on the Razer as well, just waiting to see if it gets an Australian release and get a few reports of longevity and reliability.

does somebody here have a iphone 4s? is it still usable? kinda want one, it‘s so qt...the used prices are ridiculous tho

if it's the qt you like, what about the iphone se?

Probably, look up some spec comparisons

posting from my SE, will get another one when the price drops since I fucked up by getting 32gb instead of 128 tho
was just curious about the 4s

Get that note 8, senpai.

I use Darker. play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mlhg.screenfilter

user here who's looking up to upgrade by Christmas from his HTC One M9 for 3 years.

What would be better a Google pixel 2 xl or a Samsung Note 8? This is kind of a tough decision because I'm trying to look for a phone that has big battery big screen and good waterproofing

11 days until 2018

Name the 5 best phones of 2017 and the worst 5 phones of 2017

Do you plan on using the stylus?

Ehh I like the idea of a stylus and I have tried it myself and it's seems good buy I don't know if I would use always

Pixel then

Is the IP67 and crappy screen something to worry about?

Tried it, same issue unfortunately

I have a first gen Moto G for like 3 or 4 years now. I now feel the time is right to update and I was thinking of either Samsung Galaxy Note S8, Huawei Mate 10 Pro or Google Pixel 2 XL.

>Good battery life
>Would use Camera a lot
>Listen to music/podcasts
>Use Android IDE and program/productivity stuff
I'm in Canada

Well if you've got time on your hands you can return it until you get a perfect one. Not ideal.

Whichever is cheaper unless you absolutely want a stylus then there's only one choice.

Go fore price otherwise Note 8

youtu.be/RZBlqFOzzlw

Pixel 2 BTFO all phone cameras by a massive margin

Note 8 dead last behind HTC

>
>>Literally the same specs as my Redmi Note 4X
>Why are the still releasing everything with SD625s?
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

They literally have an entire warehouse full of it might as well use it

I never used stylus before and it seems like a gimmick. Price is not an issue to me but I guess whichever works