The age of automation is here

At least 40% of jobs in the U.S. will be replaceable with robots in the next 15 years.
They are already performing much better than humans in many things, and they are much cheaper to maintain.

Among many other tasks, they are already better at building, cleaning, cooking, farming, managing data, monitoring, killing (and dying, of course), performing surgeries, and, pretty soon, driving. There are even machines that can successfully learn how to write songs!

That should sound awesome. Products and services will better and cheaper, and people (at least in developed countries at first) will not have to dedicate their lives performing unappealing and unfulfilling jobs (as most of these are).

But most of us are worried instead. All because we "need" jobs to afford a living, because that's how our society evolved to be.
We need a serious paradigm shift to be able to make the best out of the age of automation and take this opportunity to evolve as a society.

For me, an unrestricted/universal basic income (UBI) sounds like the most reasonable solution so far.

What are your thoughts, Sup Forums?

>For me, an unrestricted/universal basic income (UBI) sounds like the most reasonable solution so far.
But how are you going to pay for it? The rich NEETs of Sup Forums aren't going to just give up their well to do lifestyle with double taxes just so the wealth can be redistributed

Yup, knowing where to take the money from is the hardest part, and it depends a lot on the country.

In countries with a bigger government, the state should reduce public services to the most necessary stuff (education, health and security, for example), and replace tons of public servers with robots. That would dramatically reduce expenses and increase quality. In some cases, it would also mean increased profit (better and cheaper workers). Aditionally, some services could be partially funded with public money, so people could pay for them when needed (but they would be cheaper than private services, of course). As everyone would have a basic income, the population would be perfectly capable of spending a little bit more when some specific thing is needed, with the advantage of having it guaranteed by an affordable price.

Other approach, especially for countries where the government has a more limited influence, progressive taxation on income would be the way to go.

Unfortunately, both "solutions" would be very hard to put into practice. One approach would go against unions, and the other would be opposed by the richest. However, I believe it would be better for everyone in the long run.

I don't know desu. I think that a UBI will be almost necessary, but I dont know how i feel about that.
One thing i do know for sure is that we have to start preparing for it now, but sadly i know that's not going to happen

People have been freaking out about this ever since the industrial revolution. The market will find a way to solve this as it as always done.

Most of the advances will be for the good of the world. However having universial income will be very distructive, if we continue to feed the third world countries. Africa, Asia and South America have massive population sizes and continue to grow to this day at an exponential rate. They ought to be dealt with before they cause a shortage in supply and other matters

Not if there is a shortage of emploment opportunites and careers. Then also furthering that with an influx of women and people from all around the world and you'll get massive problems

Exactly. On the one hand we have the opportunity for a Paradise like future, where the economy is working on its own. Poverty and greed would be a thing of the past and while some people will struggle to find a direction for their life, we could focus on the real problems of humanity instead of being trapped in our hamster wheels. But on the other hand I know we will fuck this up so badly.

From what I know from history lessons (I'm talking about my country now) the government (Bismarck) solved it with the first social insurance

For many people that are poor, unemployed, and ignored, the market has not been doing a very good job finding to find its way lately.

CRYPTO WILL LEAD TO ANCAP!

UBI can be a solution or the start of a new disaster. It all depends on how it's implemented.

The theory is great. Once everything costs money, people with an income have a chance to take part in society. They can eat, have shelter, take care of their health, move around, and have the opportunity to improve themselves through education. Again, once it all costs money, that would be a very good thing for the economy.

But if we want it to work, population growth must be contained. Nowadays we may want at least two children per couple, but that's because we need the workforce. In the near future, especially with UBI, zero to one child must become the new standard: cheaper for the society, better for the planet.

We'll just reduce the minimum wage so it's cheaper to hire humans.

I don't think it's feasible to reduce the minimum wage to the point where the human becomes an economically viable choice in comparison to a robot.

First, the salary would be so low that this person would not be able to live with it (if the government allowed it to be that low). Second, there would be no demand to work for such an insignificant wage.

Jobs replaceable with robots will be replaced with robots, there's no turning back here.

>I don't think it's feasible to reduce the minimum wage to the point where the human becomes an economically viable choice in comparison to a robot.
But that's exactly why we have automation in the first place.

>First, the salary would be so low that this person would not be able to live with it (if the government allowed it to be that low). Second, there would be no demand to work for such an insignificant wage.
Yeah but we're on track to doing away with the federal reserve so that's a non-issue.

Noncreatives on suicide watch. A brick is a lot of use when the wall is knocked down.

All of those aren't done by robots though besides data. Never seen any robot clean beside garbage irobot, build a house, hvac, plumbing, electrical, pour foundations, cook or farm. At least give good examples

That's Torg from Santa Clause Conquers the Martians.

Not op here, but just search for automated farm, robot chef, printed buildings, robot surgeon, self driving cars, warehouse robots... That just to name a few.

I forgot to mention the numerous designs of robot security guards. In the same line, we also have many models of war drones that do not need to be remotely controlled by a human.

The story goes like this: Earth iscapturedby a technocapitalsingularityasrenaissance rationalitizationandoceanic navigationlock intocommoditization take-off.Logisticallyacceleratingtechno-economic interactivitycrumbles social order inauto-sophisticating machine runaway.As markets learn tomanufacture intelligence,politics modernizes,upgrades paranoia, andtries to get a grip.

The body count climbs through a series ofglobewars.Emergent Planetary Commerciumtrashes theHoly Roman Empire, theNapoleonic Continental System,theSecond and Third Reich, andthe Soviet International,cranking-up world disorderthroughcompressing phases.Deregulation and the statearms-race each other intocyberspace.

By the timesoft-engineeringslithersout ofits boxinto yours,human securityislurching into crisis.Cloning,lateral genodata transfer,transversal replication, andcyberotics, flood in amongst a relapse ontobacterial sex.

Neo-China arrives from the future.

Hypersynthetic drugs click into digital voodoo.

Retro-disease.

Nanospasm.

The world becomes like china

So, if automation is going to kill most low/unskilled jobs (and it is), then ask yourselves why we are importing millions of people with low or no skills.

to vote

Robots aren't very good at maintenance and repair jobs, since each case tends to differ too much from one to the next

That's one reason.

You are right, as for 2017.

I used to be very skeptical about about the limits of AI not long ago, but some of the most recent achievements are quite impressive!

This should have happened earlier. We were gearing up to replace all of our factory workers with automated robots in the 1970s. Unions were already negotiating, basic income was part of Nixon's plans, and robotics was advancing faster then ever. Then it became cheaper to pay Asians than build robots.

I know modern automation has more sophiscsted software so that it can replace many service and white collar jobs as well, but I still say shoulda been sooner.

Actually, there are some countries that don't have enough unqualified people to do the monkey jobs. It is the case of some small 1st world countries with low birth rates and a large and ever growing elderly population.
These immigrants will be useless soon, but for now some cheap workforce is much appreciated.

Economy wise, that's the only justifiable case I can think of. The other reasons would be mainly humanitarian.