Is Portuguese worth learning?

Is Portuguese worth learning?

Other urls found in this thread:

ayvu-maraney.com/html/ne_epoty.html
youtu.be/oucKDfAwNbM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

too late already learned it

Any language is worth learning if you like it or if you like culture of the country in which it is spoken.

You're American, English is spoken world-wide, so you don't need to bother yourself with "uselessness" of foreign languages.

No but Brazilian is.

Only if you plan to emigrate. Portuguese know English well enough, so Brazilian is definitely the best for you.

If you're learning to be more knowledgeable and erudite, I guess Portuguese Portuguese is the one to go. It's a very deceivingly beautiful language, desu.

But you gotta admit that your pronunciation is a fucking mess

>You're American, English is spoken world-wide, so you don't need to bother yourself with "uselessness" of foreign languages.
this
the moment you start thinking about "worth" is the moment you get discouraged of learning.. anything
you have to do it because learning is pleasurable in itself, not because it will make you rich or get qts. if you can't find pleasure in learning a language then you won't learn that language

Can you speak Guaraní?

Just learn spanish which is the same exact shit. The only romance languages worth learning are latin, italian and french

Only if you want to do business in Brazil, if not, just learn spanish instead that most of us will understand and it is far more useful in your country.

>only romance languages worth learning are latin, italian and french
Sure, so you can talk with the Pope and with dindus in North Africa. Learn Spanish that at least you can understand what your garden is saying.

>But you gotta admit that your pronunciation is a fucking mess
It's weird for sure. I actually meant the written language and the construction moreso than spoken. Sung Portuguese can be very beautiful in both its versions. Also literature and poetry. We have an Epic comparable to the Odyssey and the Iliad that nobody but us will ever appreciate.

But to you Brazilians it probably sounds worse because it's simultaneously familiar and foreign, so it gets uneasy to hear it. It happens the same when we head yours. Look up "uncanney valley", which is a robotics term for this phenomenon of highlighting the differences when two things become too close, so that you can only judge it by them.

This guy is right.

no, not really
why?

I just like the way Portuguese sounds more than Spanish.

I was told that most Paraguayans can speak the Guaraní, a traditional injun language.

>You're American, English is spoken world-wide, so you don't need to bother yourself with "uselessness" of foreign languages.
Europe as a whole has roughly 15% english speakers, if you add asians the number dips even lower, so english is hardly "world-wide"

brazilian portuguese*

indeed, last census confirms 85% of population speaks Guarani, and only 2/3rds of it are effectively bilingual (as in they can actually understand Spanish, read and write)
but i'm a city mouse and my background was Spanish-language. my parents are bilingual. some of my grandparents (which lived in the countryside) didn't speak a lick of spanish, and one of them was blonde with green eyes. i don't say this to brag, just to point out that just because we speak a native language doesn't make us all injuns. we're just all paraguayans, be it black, white, yellow or brown

>implying anything else is relevant

Does anyone really get bothered by this? When that flag is present, they usually use the Brazilian spelling and construction, so it's a nice warning.

Besides, 200 million people who are less educated on average probably justify the investment better than 10 million who already speak English anyway.
"relevancy" is irrelevant.

Came for the bunda, stayed for Machado de Assis

Most burgers I've met learnt your version tbqh famalão

It's backwards here for sure.

Maybe it's because they never really nail it quite right, so the differences stand out.

Just like Angolan Portuguese sounds closer to Brazilian to me, and closer to European to you, probably. We're not unbiased.

Spot on, I feel like we pay closer attention to what is different in the accent rather the similarities.
Angola's accent is pretty much the middle ground between yours and ours. This come from the fact that our accent is africanised ( either we admit it or not) and at the same time they haven't been free for that long so the European influences are still evident.

>the European influences are still evident
Yeah they still follow the orthographic convention. You guys just went rebellious teenagers on us.

Heh, it's bound to happen sometime, but with the Internet I don't imagine Portuguese and Brazilian will ever be two distinct languages anytime soon.

Just do it. I'm learning french and latin for no useful reason and it feels good.

>Is Portuguese worth learning?
It's useful for when you find yourself a qt and surprise her with a trip to a beautiful and safe country many people overlook and you impress her by ordering a delicious meal in the countryside, with top-tier cuisine and top-tier wine that puts France to shame.

Brazil is a bit more iffy, maybe, but If you know Portuguese I'm sure you can find a way of making it perfectly safe and enjoyable.

also if you know portuguese you know spanish, so you can write down you know 2 languages.

Not really. Most basic vocabulary and pronunciation is actually the main difference. Structure and conjugation of verbs does become easier, and you may be able to at least understand spoken Spanish, but I doubt you could speak it very well.

besides this there's plenty of false friends
the one i remember right now is "gozado". in portuguese it means "funny, odd", while in spanish it means someone came all over your face

"made fun of" would be the translation. But Brazilian Portuguese also shares the meaning with Spanish on that one.

>Portuguese know English well enough

Clearly you are not foreigner living in Portugal. Literally nobody speaks English besides young people. Even among students you can easily find people who speak worse English than stereotypical Russian gangster from hollywood movies. Not to start with bureaucrats; best I could find was a young lady who could put 2 bad sentences and I added one equally bad in Portuguese so we could somewhat figure out what I need.

It is however better in more touristic places. And people are nice so somehow things get done. Also, language sounds nice to me, it's just verbs and prepositions that are killing me. And it's pain in the ass to understand what Portuguese are saying cause they all tend to mumble.

I meant out of the major groups of media consumption compared to Brazil. We do speak it a lot better than Spain, France or Italy, and usually there's someone around to help translate.

>bureaucrats
Yeah, those are cunts, not gonna deny it. The one place people with humanity degrees are useful and they are fucking lacking. If it helps, it's also a chore for us.

Where you from and how long have you been here?

>but i'm city mouse

a quien piko le queres mentir? gu'u que nunca dijiste terehona nde terere o añarakopeguare

Yes, my aunt (she's not portuguese...)
taught me the language and it's very fun to speak and to learn. Plus you can learn other Roman languages easily.

what? i mean, you guys literally sound gay in every word, portuguese from portugal sounds much better and more interessant. sorry lad

>We do speak it a lot better than Spain, France or Italy
I'll agree but we should all aim higher than speaking foreign language better than Italians/French

Also, I'm Czech. I've been postdoc in Porto for a bit more than a year now.

cualquiera entiende groserías pero tratá de leer esto y de traducir papá:
ayvu-maraney.com/html/ne_epoty.html

>interessant
t. Portuguese Diaspora

Right, but population can only be educated from young age. You can't teach old people anymore. I think it's pretty good, since I've had a lot of classes in Uni in English, although that is a biased population.

>verbs and prepositions
Yeah, welcome to romance languages, I guess.

>pain in the ass to understand what Portuguese are saying cause they all tend to mumble.
Yeah, accent is also a bitch because we've become efficient at saying it fast, so it must be pretty hard to grasp in only a year.

no, spanish is more useful. Brazilians and portuguese alike already realized this and most of them learn spainsh

>most of them learn spainsh
No we don't. We end up picking some of it up because it's close and sort of a subset of Portuguese in some ways, which makes it harder for it to go the other way. I doubt I could construct any correct Spanish sentences without giving away my Portuguese-ness.

Not true at all.

even today i was speaking with a friend from uruguay who agrees, brazilian sounds gay. and portguese sounds hard. for me its interessant, but i guess that changes from person to person.

no soi portuguesish desculpa meu amigo vem de portugal e ensina para mim

Eu acho que o português é o idioma mais precioso do mundo.

So yes. And I suck at it.

youtu.be/oucKDfAwNbM

portunhol is cute :3

how many of the 200 million are actually of Portuguese heritage? the opening ceremony showed brazilians came from literally all over the world, but Wikipedia shows by colour

Mauro, is that you?

I think you should learn any language if you're taking pleasure in learning it. I started both japanese (which is very present in my life since i was a kid bc animu) and german (bc qt) but i didn't enjoy learning either, they were bothersome, a chore. One day i looked up hangul (korean alphabet) out of curiosity and 2 months later I'm still studying it because i genuinely enjoy spending my time learning it. I probably won't ever use it as much as I'd use japanese or german but at least it's fun and helps me relax after a day of work. I also enjoy how it sounds and love writing it.

Well, we learn spanish in school just because we're surrounded by spics.

Most of the portuguese descendents are located in Rio and São Paulo. German and Italian descendents are mainly located in the south of Brazil. The rest of the country is a mix of them with Africans and Native Tribes.

Wut?

I'm sure even the Indigenous are like 1% Portuguese. 500 years is a long ass time.

Everyone will have Portuguese heritage, pretty much, to varying degrees. Full on "Brazilians" who haven't mixed with any other immigrants are probably still far enough away to be their own thing and not feel particularly Portuguese. You can link some things like cuisine and language, but they have become distinct enough to be "brothers" rather than "parent and child" cultures.

I honestly don't know. In your pic the "pardos" are half white half black/indigenous, so their "white" half is likely heavily Portuguese for the most part. Brazil didn't have as much influx as the US, say. It's more like Australia.

You'd like Galicia then.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the south has Portuguese mixed with other things, no? I find it hard to believe that it's only Italian and Germans. Those were probably selected as the identifier since Portuguese would be the default.

You're right. Long history short: after abolishing slavery, the great farmers (portuguese descendents) in the south needed people to work for them, that's when the German and Italian immigrants came to Brazil looking for a new life. I, for example, Have Portuguese and Italian ancestry.

t. Giuseppe da Silva

Sorry, the way you wrote sounded a lot like a friend of mine

Stop being delusional, Pablo.

Oh please shut up if you don't know another regions

>implying you're not sub-spics