Why do people still buy smartphones when their current ones work just fine...

Why do people still buy smartphones when their current ones work just fine? I feel like I've just seen everything a phone can do, so nothing impresses me anymore. Maybe I'm missing something, but do you really need a new phone every couple years?

Even now I still barely use my phone. If I want entertainment, it's a lot more comfortable to just use my desktop computer or something with a bigger screen that I can sit far away from.

For me it's screen quality. Panels get better.

am breddy /comfy/ with my s5 t b h, don't plan on upgrading until something really impresses me

what will it take to impress you?

Physical keyboard. KEYone is the only phone I'll use until it is no longer usable. If parts break I will repair it until parts are no longer obtainable.

Impressive.

Ofcourse you "need" a new phone, how else will you fill the void of human dissapointment that lies deep within your heart, created by the common notion that civilization is not what you want it to be, but you are the only one to blame.

Ha you’re right OP why would people want:

>better cameras
>bigger batteries
>more software features
>better performance
>higher resolution displays
>colour accuracy
>security patches
>app support
>more storage
>developer support
>manufacturer support
>warranty
>Baseband improvements

There is definitely no reason for it and we should all be using Galaxy Nexus’s running Ice Cream Sandwich.

>better performance
As long as you're not using a $20 phone or something, when does performance ever become an issue?

You're the kind of person who buys a new iPhone every year.

I like how you picked that one singular point out of many.

Some of us in the world don’t have time to wait around For our phones to do things. We want things to happen near-instantaneously. A modern phone gives us that.

For others, it can mean game performance, video editing performance, transcoding, converting etc.

Most modern phones do everything instantly. Why do you think you need a new phone every year to accomplish that?

>no arguments against any of my points
Good job.

because your "arguments" can all be summed up as
>buy new iphone every year

>most modern phones do it instantly
Define modern.
Guarantee my definition is different to yours.

Define instantly. For some people, Chrome taking 7 seconds to open a page is unacceptable and slow.

Who are you to suggest the requirements of others?
An elitist springs to mind.

And what about the people who buy a new Galaxy S every year? Or a Note? Or an LG G series?

They’re smart consumers right?

all smartphones are cancer

This seems to be a ride or die phone for a lot of people. Red pill me.

Wow, you're pretty defensive. You can discuss this openly without going all r*ddit on me. I won't make fun.

Yeah, android users are objectively smarter than iPhone users

>Better cameras
Reasonable
>Bigger batteries
Battery size form Galaxy S7 to S8 has decreased.
>More software features
Wow, I can have a permanent notification that Tasker is running in the background! So worth upgrading!
>Higher resolution displays
Like the high resolution display on the Galaxy S8 that is rendering at 1080p out of the box?
>Color accuracy
Wow my saturated screen on my Galaxy S8 is so accurate!
>Security patches
Doesn't even exist on newer phones after a year
>App support
Most apps target Android 4.4 still
>More storage
What is Micro-SD?
>Developer support
LineageOS doesn't have developer support?
>Manufacturer support
Only for iPhone unless you wanna juggle between shitty contracted insurance people and carriers for "support"
>Warranty
I sure love my two year warranties that don't cover anything.
>Baseband improvements
TIL my old phone isn't getting 50Mbps cell service until I "upgrade" my phone

I am discussing this openly. I haven’t launched any insults. I have asked for your definitions of these terms. I have also explained that certain things which are fine in your mind are not in the minds of others.

So, how about you stop focusing on my tone and focus on my arguments instead?

I've had my phone 3 years and it's nigh unto death's door (at least the battery is). I just want more RAM, bigger internal card and that sweet sweet 128 gig sd card. Apps are super bloaty these days and my current phone can't keep up with the demands

Why are you only focusing on the Galaxy S series?

Got an agenda buddy?

>mobile gaming
>video editing on a phone

i dropped my phone somewhere in the mountains, what am i supposed to do not buy a fucking new one lmao

Physical keyboard is great to type on. The battery and the Snapdragon 625 are a great combination, I'm able to last a few days with no issues. Security updates are decent, I seem to get them halfway through the month, BlackBerry was pretty good with the KRACK patch when that was released. Camera is decent I guess, I'm not a photo person so IDGAF about it, as long as it can take pictures of documents clearly I'm good. Anything specific you want to know?
Galaxy is the most popular Android phone, it's a reasonable choice for focusing on.

The improvements in these areas each year are negligible. Do you draw a line, or do you literally buy a new phone every year?

>the top games on Android have 500m-1bn downloads
Just because you don’t play games on mobile doesn’t make you the majority

>video editing
Which a lot of people do, see Instagram and facebook for more. Which have over a billion downloads each :)

I buy a new phone when I'm unable to repair what's wrong with my old one.

>playing flappy bird and posting videos to social media
>you need a new phone every year for this
>implying

Not the S5 owner (have a Z3, similar specs) and it would take a considerable upgrade in ease of use, battery life, app CPU requirements, cheap storage, or audio/video quality to make me upgrade.

The only thing that's made me want a new phone is how easy it is to turn the flashlight on on the Moto G5+ (just a chop chop motion). 4k screens, 128GB storage, more cores just don't make a big difference in how nice the phone is to use.

>better cameras
>mobile games approaching console quality
Again, not things I do, but things many consumers do.

I see, well then you missed the point of my thread. If your phone is drastically underpowered by today's standards then of course upgrading is a no-brainer, and same thing if your phone is broken.

>mobile games approaching console quality
I'm not saying this is bad or judging or anything, but does anyone on here even enjoy playing games on a tiny screen? My eyes already hurt just thinking about it.

honestly my phone right now sucks, im gonna get new chink phone soon
right now my phone specs
>8gb of space
i dont have enough space, i get constant messages of not enough space, but i cant do nothing since its literally bloat from Sony shitty apps themself that i cant fucking uninstal
>shitty camera
camera is shit what else can i tell?
>shitty 5inch 720p screen
crappy screen
>shitty sd cpu with shitty performance
literally i need to wait 5sec for my email app to open
>when i talking on my phone, sometimes my phone randomly calls someone else itself

Ye technically my phone works, but its a fucking shitty experience, im waiting right now for RM5N to get announced and released. My sister have the RM3N and its a great phone.

Paid 300euros for my shitty Sony phone, while my sister paid 170 for hers...never buying non chink phone ever again

But the screens aren’t tiny anymore dude. We have an average device size of 5” now and a lot of games don’t need many taps. For example, Asphalt is controlled by accelerometer for the most part.

Also emulation is decent on Android (and iOS with jailbreak or side load)

Alright, I guess my post was aimed at people who already have higher-end phones. Higher-end compared to you I mean

That's tiny, user. I can't imagine enjoying that. Different people, different tastes I guess

>Thinking a 5" screen isn't tiny
Typing this out on my 27" monitor. 5" is tiny as fuck

Think about viewing distance for normies.

You sit say 10ft away from a 40” tv.
Your 5.5” phone is say 15” away.

The perceived size will be similar.

Idk t b h, but everything recently has been super gimmicky

Not to me, no matter how close I hold a 5" screen to my face my 27" monitor is bigger and better to view in every way. Ten years ago I said the same thing about a Nintendo ds, I'm not using a tiny screen for anything

My nigga.
Hopefully my Keyone will last long. I can't come back to software keyboards anymore.

andropoors:
buy phone
no updates
programs require new apps
buy new one

iphones:
buy phone
original version works very good
version + 1 is same as good
version + 2 is good
version + 3 is decent
version + 4 is sluggish and the new phones have these new features

>android
>stops working properly after 2-3 years, starts lagging or the battery dies
>ios
>"gotta buy that new phone that would serve me for the next 10 years" - every 2 years

ye sure, but i got this phone like 2-3years ago, 3years ago, it seemed perfectly fine.

So i mean, people after 2-3years of using same device daily start to notice, it drawbacks and shit, so they want to upgrade to better device, without those drawbacks.

You haven't made any arguments so far. Also you actively refuse to clarify your claims or back anything up.

>you haven’t made any arguments
Take your pick:

I'm still using my Nexus 4 with Lineage OS, this shit still run perfect. The only real downside is the shitty camera but i'm not taking photo everyday.
I use it for message/calls, anki, web search, shitposting, mails, gaming, reading some pdf etc and it's perfect.

False claims, failure to know what words mean and the feelings of imagined people don't qualify as arguments

>still no refutation
>attempting to define the terms of discussion in order to gain some perceived upper hand on an anonymous imageboard

No more (You)s. If you can’t handle that the features in new handsets are response to consumer demand, then you can enjoy your 2 year old phone in your own time.

I'd still be using my galaxy s3 if it didn't die
Honestly it was kind of slow and sucked battery with the radios all on, but at the time I thought it much easier to get a new phone than spend $100+ to get it unfucked
I still have it so if I really want to I could switch back

Galaxy J5 has been my phone for some four years now, and I have been robbed of it some two times and bought the same model. It's perfect and I have never had one bad experience with it.

I don't upgrade because I need to, otherwise my HTC Desire S should still be good enough for Clover, Facebook Messenger, light web browsing, and sms/phone stuff.

I annually upgrade because I have enough expendable income to do so and it makes me happy, but even then I stick to mid-range phones or chink flagships.

When your phone is 5 years old and can't play that 4k video.

>bought midrange phone off contact
>been 2 years ago far
>no problems
>should last at least another 3

feelscomfyman

you're the faggot who literally doesn't need a phone because you spend all day on your computer and have zero friends, right?

Imo if you have reached the stage of buying a new phone every one or two years for no logical reasoning you are ready to kill yourself. +1 if you're a mobile gehymur

This. The only ever excuse for owning a smartphone is Business purpose and so you can always call emergency services, plus browsing Sup Forums perhaps also

yeah so what

/thread

phoneposter please leave

Can you root it and install custom roms?

I still have my S5 from 2015 with Lineage and it runs great. Not getting a new one until it stops working.

Well, you see, Android users are smart. So then, the more Android phones you buy, the smarter you are!

Anything that isn't making calls, light web browsing, and secure messaging is better handled by a dedicated device such as a desktop computer or high-end camera

this desu senpai. phones aren't comfy and will never be comfy until the tiny screens can become 3d holoprojections

I had an LG G4 that was on its dying Days, an upgrade was needed. Also, I have a job that requires overnights, so the phone is a help there.

> 4k on a phone

anons, we have here a severe case of "fucking fell for a meme", could be beyond saving

What's wrong with better resolution if you can afford it? Even on a small screen it's noticable

The human eye can only see 1080p 30fps

I just want a faster phone and I can afford that. Custom ROMs affect that greatly, so an older phone often can be faster in real life usage than brand new ones. This shifts my phone cycle to around 3 years, and that's why I've only had 4 smartphones. Using OP5 with Pure Fusion currently. Interestingly, it compiles the kernel with clang.

What phone? My Zenfone 2 (about 3 years old) gave up the ghost last week without warning, but it was running everything like a beast. I'm guessing the reason for that is the 4GB of RAM, since I had to go back to an S5, which is painfully sluggish in comparison.

I ended up buying a OP5 to replace my old s5. It still works and everything but 2gb of ram ruins a lot of things for me. I like to play games, watch videos/movies, pay my bills, and do my work on my phone.

The 8gb of ram on my op5 is my favorite thing about this phone and second is the fact that I can get TMobile WiFi calling working with near stock Android. The s5 couldn't do that unless I had the stock rom which was shit. I don't even know what to do with my s5 now.

>tfw international kekxynos model
>unstable RR/LOS or bloated TouchJizz based ROMs are my only options

Don't worry so much, after s5 kekxynos is your only choice for custom ROMs because SD versions are completely locked.

The phone I recently got was cheap and has a 6.44 inch screen which means I can be /comfy/ all day.

I got a new one this year so I can play games on it