Cross-compiling for windows

>write nontrivial software project
>want to reach as many users as possible
>make it MIT licensed
>can't offer windows build instructions because I have no idea how to build software on windows
>attempt to look it up
>the native way is to install visual studio and not use make scripts
>everyone recommends crosscompiling through gcc-mingw-x64
>oops i have to crosscompile all of my libraries as well
you know what fuck this, fuck windows users
you're not worth my time

Other urls found in this thread:

mingw.org/Welcome_to_MinGW_org
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>your time
I bet your software isn't all that great if your work ethic is so shit tier.
mingw.org/Welcome_to_MinGW_org

Kek.

When I wanted to do this, I ended up installing the Windows version of the compiler in wine. It was ugly as fuck, but at least the cancer couldn't spread outside Docker.

This was incidentally also when I learned to appreciate Docker.

Cross compiling is indeed the most convenient way if you want to build things from multiple platforms automagically. It takes some work and perseverance, but it pays off in the end. Keep it up OP~

Use cmake. And you don't have to cross-compile your libraries if you have the windows binaries. If not, you do, but usually is painless because most libraries come with a CMakeLists.txt file so it becomes trivial to compile them.

But of course there is always the bloated library that doesn't have binary and has a bunch of dependencies, and the library without cmake support, and the library with "special instructions", and the one that only works for static or dynamic, or the one that... ok, it may not be entirely painless. The good thing is that if you start using cmake at the beginning of the project you can choose which libraries to use based on which will be less painful to cross-compile.

>you don't have to compile if it's already compiled
no shit?

Careful: cmake has some serious limitations when it comes to cross compiling. Enough that I have had to switch projects back to autotools.

>windows is a clusterfuck
Well no shit

It made sense when I said it.

No native support. Every platform has compilers, and "the" compiler. And on windows that is VS.

>use normal language and not C/C++
there^, this is a solution for all your problems

You should have a working windows system if you want to develop software for it anyway, all sorts of shit can go wrong at runtime which needs testing.

Like what?

Don't bother catering to windows plebs OP.

This

>java
>rust
>python
There's three, you can find more on your prefered botnet.

Stop supporting the botnet.

>cuck license

>$ export GOOS=windows
>$ go build main.go
> git add Prog.exe

WTF I'm gay now

Cross-compiling is why java exists.
Imagine having something so bad that java is preferable.

I don't get how this is difficult for you...

./configure --host x86_64-w64-mingw32

i've cross-compiled a few things on arch before, using mingw
it's pretty easy, though i've never compiled anything in windows itself to compare to
the AUR has packages for lots of mingw deps

>Macfags

Don't even bother writing software. It's going to be shit anyways.

cool story brony

Java is not ideal for anything related to OS or Hardware, graphics for example. Python is not ideal for Hardware nor complex software, I don't know rust but probably the same.

C++ is the standard, you'll find much more libraries for C++ than any other language, only that makes it a language to seriously consider.

Oh no, how we will survive without your shitty software?

he's only skipping winders versions
doesn't affect any of us

>write nontrivial software project
>want to reach as many users as possible
>make it MIT licensed
>can't offer linux build instructions because I have no idea how to build software on linux
>attempt to look it up
>the native way is to install some archaic convoluted autotools programs written in the 80s and not use an IDE
>everyone recommends crosscompiling through gcc
>oops i have to crosscompile all of my libraries as well
you know what fuck this, fuck linux users
you're not worth my time

We don't want your Poojeet code, brainlet.

Pretty sure OP's software is great :^)