What are some of the best distros approved by the FSF? I could use some recommendations...

What are some of the best distros approved by the FSF? I could use some recommendations. Ones that actually work and run without any major problems on most machines.

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just use Void

Trisquel , Parabola and GuixSD.

>Debian isn't included

>Reason stated:
>Debian GNU/Linux
>Debian's Social Contract states the goal of making Debian entirely free software, and Debian conscientiously keeps nonfree software out of the official Debian system. However, Debian also provides a repository of nonfree software. According to the project, this software is “not part of the Debian system,” but the repository is hosted on many of the project's main servers, and people can readily find these nonfree packages by browsing Debian's online package database and its wiki.

>There is also a “contrib” repository; its packages are free, but some of them exist to load separately distributed proprietary programs. This too is not thoroughly separated from the main Debian distribution.

>Previous releases of Debian included nonfree blobs with Linux, the kernel. With the release of Debian 6.0 (“squeeze”) in February 2011, these blobs have been moved out of the main distribution to separate packages in the nonfree repository. However, the problem partly remains: the installer in some cases recommends these nonfree firmware files for the peripherals on the machine.

>Debian's wiki includes pages about installing nonfree firmware.

gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html

JESUS
FUCKING
CHRIST

OPTIONAL NON-FREE SOFTWARE RENDERS THIS ENTIRE STABLE HIGH-QUALITY OPEN-SOURCE OS 'OPPRESSIVE'?

STALLMAN, YOU FOOT-SCAB-EATING WGET MOTHERFUCKER

About Trisquel, I've read this about it on Distrowatch, and I'm not sure about it anymore:

I also followed the recommendation of the Free Software Foundation (FSF) and installed Trisquel 7.0 on 25 of my 32 computers.

I do not trust Trisquel anymore.

The problems I had years ago with it are still there and I know why.

This distro is maintained by a single guy called Ruben who works for the Free Software Foundation - but with some task not related to Trisquel. He himself stated that his life has changed - he moved to the U.S.A, he started working for the FSF, he got married. He tries to dedicate one day per week to Trisquel.

A single guy working one day per week on a distro is not enough. This is why I still encounter problems within Trisquel that I communicated years ago to their forum.

An alpha version of Trisquel 8.0 is out, not even a beta version. Trisquel 8.0 was announced for 2016.

They all work the same. Trisquel is the free Ubuntu, Parabola is the free Arch. You may run into problems with WiFi on all those free distros. If so, get an adapter from minifree, thinkpenguin, techtronics, etc.
If you want a free distro but want to use botnet drivers, just install Debian, but it isn't FSF approved.

fucking lel

>insulting a man who holds on his principles; fighting for our freedoms

You only see what you want to see, right?

Debian recommends nonfree software. The FSF recommends free software.
It's that easy.

>Ones that actually work and run without any major problems on most machines.
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found

Parabola GNU/Linux is your best bet.

never had that suggestion. even if it would suggest that, you're free to use something else. in any case, you need to manually allow the non-free repos to access them. the default is free. the FSF stance makes it harder for people to use free and reliable foss software by taking such a dogmatic stance.

It doesn't matter if they're locked up if you can still say "Hey, debian distribution maintainers please give me nonfree software" and get nonfree software.

and how is that option harmful to me who chooses to use a completely free and open system?
and how is the fsf stance not harmful to the free software community, as it provides new users with very limited options and functionality?

functionality isn't freedom. respecting freedom is FSF's raison detre, you don't have to agree with it but they are doing it correctly.

correctly according to the concept of "respecting freedom"? sure.
helpful to the foss community? on the contrary.

In your shit opinion, maybe. If people didn't have nonfree software to fall back on there would be more development put into free software by necessity. Killing nonfree software is the entire goal, not giving users what they might want today but will harm them in the long term.

Not him, but what OS are you personally using?

Linux, exclusively.

I wasn't specific enough, what distro are you using? Because I want to use free distros from now on.

Oh, I use lots of distros on different machines. None them are FSF approved though. Could effortlessly switch to librewrt or trisquel on some of the machines though.

>None them are FSF approved though.
This FSF endorsement was brought to you by non-free software.

I never actually considered using a FSF distro, I don't even use nonfree software on a majority of my machines.

>tu quoque fallacy

Really showed him, didn't you, retard?