/fglt/ - Friendly GNU+Linux thread

old: Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/
support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1164411#answer-978198
gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
rbt.asia/g/thread/63482943/#63497667
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

~ $ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 2.916s (kernel) + 977ms (userspace) = 3.893s

Anyone got any tips on how to speed up the kernel boot-up?

1. read your dmesg, with timestamps in "time since kernel started" (this is the default)
2. find the "jumps", see which makes the time "jump", blacklist it if you aren't using it. A computer at my workplace was delayraped by the lpt port and the fucking floppy driver.

first for nice fonts thanks to infinality (may it rip)
and youtube-dl to trigger user

After testing several distros and desktop environments/windowmanagers out, I'm thinking of switching from Windows to Linux for easier developer reasons. However Linux is such a pain in the ass because of the tty-bitty details that are central to my work aren't exactly polished features in most every distro (frequent returns to the command line to do basic things or get essential things to work properly, lack of Snapshots (like Windows System Restore / OSX Time Machine), lack of integretation of installations and drag-drop between cooperating applications to make things easier)

Please convince me of the with true, provable unique arguments, because I'm failing to convince myself to switch.

easy, timeless SNAPSHOTS are a MUST btw. Because I have broken dozens of distros before quite easily when experimenting in vms, and I don't want the headaches of time-consuming repair and data loss.

I'm trying to print only the fourth line of lshw's output but still get these warnings after piping it into awk, sed -n '4p' doesn't work either. Any ideas?
% lshw -C display
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Richland [Radeon HD 8570D]
% lshw -C display | awk 'FNR == 3'
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.
product: Richland [Radeon HD 8570D]

did you try this?
lshw -C display 2>/dev/null

>ack of Snapshots (like Windows System Restore / OSX Time Machine), lack of integretation of installations and drag-drop between cooperating applications to make things easier)

I pay you one (You) to hit the road and never come back, deal?

Reposting the question:

Why is plugging and unplugging headphones detected automatically on some computers, like the memepad, and on some you have to manually switch outputs after unplugging? Regardless of distro and I am talking identical installs with pulseaudio.

define "some computers". Other laptops of desktop systems?

That worked perfectly, thanks

no. answer my question dummy

What's the Linux equivalent of System Restore/Factory Rest?

> mfw Sup Forums user can't into archivation and restoration of system and data
Use tar or dar, or RAID 1 or whatever. There are tools to restore previous saves, I don't remember which is the best right now. I just copy data.

What DE should I install on my laptop. Going to go with Ubuntu or Mint

If you ask again without using obnoxious phrases (memepad for example) I might answer.

btrfs has snapshots and you can use it on root, otherwise just make a cron job that makes images of your system every once in a while, bonus points if you rsync to a NAS.

Avoid Mint, go with debian and KDE.

I want to learn about snapshots too. I know that ZFS and some other fs can do it but I'm too afraid to leave my old relatively stable ext4. Working in a vm is not an option for my shitty laptop.

Why avoid mint?

They got hacked once distributing infected images, and while it was a few years ago it set a bad example for the whole linux community, im sure they got their shit together nowadays but still a lot of bad security practices were uncovered in the whole drama.

Shit, I'll try debian then, is there anything special I should know, seeing as I've used nothing but CinMint until now

Any tips on how to make KDE look nice?

Pick a theme.

Check your hw before install, use non-free repos if necessary. Go with netinst iso and build from minimal system. Use stable if you don't need latest packages, unstable otherwise, forget about testing. If you want to go with unstable, upgrade before installing a million things. You might need to install some stuff that you would expect to be already installed (eg sudo).

Oh, and regarding DEs; kde might not be a pleasant experience, gnome/lxde/xfce and cinnamon (at least the last time I tried) all work as expected, same with WMs like i3 and the like. If you want the latter, skip de during installation and do it from tty later.

>firefox really starting to piss me off but no alterantive distros have support for the plugins I use

Tried Waterfox?

On my desktop computer it doesnt work automatically. It also didnt work on my old asus laptop. On the thinkpad it works.

Faggot

>debian
>netinst
yeah. I did that. moral of the story, test in live cd first and if all works install
I would recommend Lubuntu instead because it's still minimal sort of and don't have to deal with non free pitas

I don't know if it's just a firefox and firox accessories problem though, it keeps crashing and random intervals when I stream HD video. twitch is really bad for it, but even youtube and stuff crash every now and then. The twitch interface and player is a heap of shit too. Other browsers seem to handle it fine on my computer.

You could try Iridium or Basilisk

How do I reset my hosts file to the default state?
RN it has over 9000 lines but I don't know exactly how to reset it or remove them because you can only it in the terminal.

Ubuntu 17.10

what distro should I begin my exodus to Linux with?

I work with an Ubuntu server for my job so I am on at least first name terms with bash, never used Linux as a desktop though

gaming with Linux, I understand, is absolute cack but I dont play much these days anyway so that doesn't really matter

basically just want an internet machine capable of some programming

from my limited research debian seems as good as any distro

currently win7, suggestions?

ubuntu is always a good start.

Mint Cinnamon
Zorin OS
Ubuntu

0. open a terminal, yes you have to.
1. run any simple text editor with sudo
sudo gedit
for example
2. open the hosts file and cut the lines you don't need. Usually the few lines at the start defining localhost, other loopback interfaces and your default hostname are the default contents.

Yeah how do I cut all the lines exactly

holy shit dude, you seriously need help with a simple text editor?
Select them with mouse and press backspace/delete

can you please

stop this fucking annoying

way of posting? thank you.

Also, try ubuntu and variants (kubuntu, xubuntu, ubuntu mate etc).
If you don't like how one looks you can switch to the another DE without reinstalling.

What's an easy way of granting plex access to my folder so it can view the media in there? I have a specific directory for Plex so I don't mind if it wants to Snoop in that specific area

Does not work with nano. I'm a retard.

>recommending downstream distributions to anyone new
don't do this.
the chance that they will receive (or find) help regarding their problem on ubuntu, fedora, debian is infitely greater than some fork of a fork of a fork of a fork with 2 maintainers who live in the same appartment and 10 users.

grant generic read permissions on the folder and any up folders so plex can look inside.

Um sweetie, you're never gonna get help with that attitude.

try the firefox from mozilla
ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/
support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1164411#answer-978198

gnome is nice but nautilus is crap for opening large folders
get some live cds and try
kde neon
ubuntu
lubuntu
fedora
whatever
probably something kde thou because it's closer to w7

What's the main differences between all the ubuntu variants: lubuntu kubuntu etc?

the default DE and other userspace programs they ship.

kubuntu - KDE and KDE programs
xubuntu - XFCE
lubuntu - LXDE
ubuntu mate - MATE
KDE neon - Ubuntu LTS with KDE but in this the KDE is managed and shipped by the official KDE devs

So basically kubuntu is a community support and KDE neon is official support? Any reason to use one over the other?

I'm a newbie playing around on the Debian CLI on a VM, no DE or WM. I want to try out some WMs, is there one that's easier to learn than others, or should I just load up Linux BBQ on a new VM?

>a few years ago
It was last year.

what's the ubuntu terminal called? in fedora, it's bash

Bash is the shell. I'm newer but you might be looking for the Terminal emutlator, which could be Terminal, xterm, GNOME-Terminal, Konsole, LXTerminal, Terminator, rxvt-unicode, etc. based on what DE you have installed or what you installed yourself

so the standard on ubuntu is "Terminal"?

*emulator

If you have the GNOME DE it's likely GNOME-Terminal, KDE has Konsole, LXTerminal is for LXDE, and xterm is installed on a lot of distros. Search around your programs, it should be under tools and utilities, but if you need to quick-open it I believe Ubuntu has a hotkey of Ctrl-Alt-T

how do i activate google authenticator? is it in common-auth or lightdm?

I'm new to this and most distros crash with "link training failed" when started with my display port monitor plugged in to a 1070, and if I plug it in after startup I get the same crash.
ONLY Ubuntu and Xubuntu have ever worked.
Does this have to do with nouveau? Online searches didn't get me any fix

Windows environments and Linux/UNIX environments are totally different.

With Windows, you are usually made to rely on shitty tools that accomplish what a linux or UNIX system can do with less time and resources.

If you want polish, get macOS. It'll have a UNIX core and polish to make working easier (for you).

>le linux is unix

nice meme

It's a UNIX clone. I don't know what you're on about.

no it's not, not any more

What do you mean, you daft lala homo man?

windows isn't unix but did you know it used to be based on unix before msdos? i'm not doing ur homework kid

You're switching the subject, answer my question. I already showed you my dick.

No you didn't

show your dick and your question shall be answered

faggot

for fun just tried enabling the wayland use flag. I dont recommend it, its buggy, weird visual artifacts, and crashes when I turn on 2nd monitor.

I'm using wayland but what's so different than xorg?

and I noticed I cant take screenshots either. It makes sense though because the difference between X and wayland is that wayland doesnt allow other programs to access other program's information, this is just one of the ways its more secure than X.

I got an old server for pretty cheap, and I want to use it as a file server with my two 4TB drives in RAID 1, but the machine has zero chance at running ZFS (32 Bit \w 1GB Memory). Is BTRFS a possible option, or should I just buy a RAID card and use Ext4?

btrfs shits all over zfs

upgrade the memory to 16gb at least

Try adding nomodeset to the kernel command line on those distros.

Unfortunately, to upgrade the RAM above 2GB I would have to gut the entire system, which is not something I feel would be worth the investment over buying a newer system.

1gb is too little for 8tb

Figures. RAID card it is then.

Is there a decent ricing guide/faq left anywhere?
The ones the wiki links to are all long since 404'd.

> old server
> 32bit
> 1GB ram
It's called medieval, not old. At least among servers. I think you can find cheapo second hand ram for that. If you cannot put more into it, just use btrfs. I don't remember btrfs using a lot of ram on my machine. Also: I have an old server for which I bought 32 GB ram for 50-60$. Cheapo means you can get > 2 GB for dirt.

Even my freaking athlon 64 x2 desktop machine is faster and it's >10 years old. You can probably get a faster computer by begging for unused parts.

How easy does Debian Break when going from Testing to Unstable? my desktop have been running testing for a while but I'm slowly been getting small but really annoying things about it. my laptop that runs unstable doesn't have any of it. So I'm considering upgrading but I don't want my system to break anymore.

I got this for 50 cents, broken as in Windows wouldn't boot (running Devuan fine now), at a yard sale, so I wasn't expecting much. I'll probably just trash it and buy a larger one soon, but until then btrfs seems like the best option. Thanks.

kubuntu if you don't care or need non-ESR ubuntu
KDE neon if you want "KDE as it was intended" or bleeding edge KDE experience.

At father's workplace they still use a 486 ( don't know which ) machine for email server. The one you got surely cannot be used as fileserver, but you might find something it can be used for. Some guy nearby overclocks old machines and writes articles on his adventures. He used a dual pentium 3 machine to play crysis 1. That was awesome.

here again.
Stick a fifty cent poster on the case and put the pic on CSG

Cinnamon mint otherwise ubuntu

Hey the GNU project just added PureOS to their list of recommended distors gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

My personal guide is to install xfce with the greybird theme then be done with it. You can set some cute anime girls as your wallpaper as a bonus.

Good for the purism folks. I won't ever use it because systemd and gnome are nasty but it's cool to see a laptop manufacturer with a FSF approved distro.

it pretty much makes PureOS the most up to date freetard distribution and so far the only one backed by a commercial entity.
That's a step in the right direction

i need(am basically forced and virtual machine wont do) windows for school and want to dual boot
i have a linux installed, is it at all feasible to install windows second or should i just back up my files and install windows over my linux and then install linux

in other words what type of dual boot
linux 1st then windows
or
windows then linux

i already backed up my files so ill probably do the second but if anyone here has experience with this, any tips?

Backup, windows first, GNU/linux second.

GNU/Linux installers accomodate the possibility of multiple installations of different operating systems on a single machine. Windows accomodates only other installations of windows.

enabled for what?
afaik only gnome and weston werk and maybe enlightenment but haven't tried it
>weston.ini
rbt.asia/g/thread/63482943/#63497667

>I'm using wayland
with gnome?
for users nothing much except no tearing but no hw video dec for now either
it's for the people who work on X really, making their lives easier or something to this end

gnome screenshots thing works
weston has it's own thing

This is actually solid advice. macOS has most of the benefits that come with developing on Linux, but it just works

you guys are funny!

currently using linux mint with Cinnamon. I'd like to try ricing and a tiling window manager
if I
sudo apt-get purge cinnamon
is that enough to delete everything that is Cinnamon?

many desktop environments have other programs. Like Nemo is the default file manager, you're gonna have to remove that too (unless you like nemo). There is probably more things you're gonna have to look up what programs cinnamon includes. It's the worse thing about installing and uninstalling desktop environments, you end up with a bunch of shit between them.

>windows
>b4 msdos
that's some solid shitpost user

Fedora doesn’t have this problem

I have a gaming mouse with extra buttons that I want to bind to things in i3, but right now X detects them as just normal keys (for example the 2 button on the number row), and since i3 doesn't have any way of determining which device a keypress came from, what do I do?

Automatic switching works perfectly for me on Debian(testing), all I did was install pulseaudio to get sound up and running (started wth a minimal install). I haven't touched any configs for pulse or alsa.

why is gpg so autistic?

I still can't decide on whether I should install Devuan, Debian and remove Systemd, or just Debian with Systemd. I don't really know if it's worth using a fork just to remove it and I don't know if it's even that big of an issue for me to bother with removing it at all. Someone pls help all of this systemd stuff is so confusing.