Server thread

Getting a server tomorrow, 2x x5570 xeon's, 24gb ram. What should I do with it?
what are you using your servers for?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Sun-Oracle-SPARC-T4-1-8-Core-2U-2-85GHz-32GB-RAM-2x-300GB-HDD-Rack-Mount-Server-/372160919289
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>installing gentoo

CP.
Lots of CP and onion nodes.
Sell them for crypto currencies.

Throw on proxmox, run a dozen plex server instances.

I have a poweredge t40 I am interested too

>2x100w
>probably in 1u

Enjoy your ear rape

>Enjoy your ear rape
>t. apartment fag

Mining monero on my 2x X5650 R710, doesn't even get that noticeably loud because my apartment's cold as fuck and I already have the heater/fan going. (Before you ask, electricity is included in the rent)

Install gentoo. Then sell private game servers.

how easy would it be to run some minecraft servers on it and sell them to 12 year olds?

Not speaking from experience, and not the person you asked, but like REAL damn easy.

also, does anyone have experience with virtualization? What should I use to run virtual machines on it? I want to use linux, the virtual machines should be remotely accessible

You probably don't need that much power.

I mean, I'm running my server in a vm on an old core2quad Xeon with 2GB of ram.

It's running web, mail, and ssh. And probably some other shit one day, there's plenty of room .
Although to be fair the web server is basically just nothing. It's accessible and you can go to it but there's only one thing there.

really easy.
just make a plan for a year at the time and let the money flow.
t. someone who has done it in past

i have 3 ceph ones with a combined storage of 728 tb

as a dedicated data hoarder currently 60% of the storage is dedicated to movies (whatever can be found in 4k and 1080p mainly and trying to transcode old western movies into 720p)

10tb are for music
2 tb of old anime and hentai
30tb of pictures saved mainly ripped Sup Forums various boards instagram 8ch/2ck bla bla and my personal collection that flickr managed to lose

the rest i dont even know what to do im starting to hoards various pdf's categorizing them as per interest magic/occult/sci fi/guides bla bla

depending on your internet connection, insanely easy. even better, get in on the private Arma 3 server market. Those people pay out the ass for servers that could run on a shitty old laptop.

So did you set up free subdomains for them linked to the VM ip with a subrange or something? I'm pretty new to networking
I want to practice virtualization, running multiple VM's on it

>buying a server
>doesn't even know what he's gonna do with it

Why do people just buy shit when they have no intended purpose with said shit?

Well in his defense, once you start doing things with it is when you actually find out what you can do with it.
I enjoy having a mail server and a web server.
I like digital ocean's guides- their mail server one helped me get SSL encrypted IMAP mail running, and I got a letsencrypt SSL cert for it and my HTTP server too.

learned that the hardware when i got a dell power edge r910

Planning to buy one of this, it's a qnap ts-231
Are they any good?

Why bother with 2 bay nas ?

At least spring for a 4bay or something

reminder that you can buy really nice used SPARC stuff on ebay

Why though

It's an open, RISC ISA that's made for UNIX

Play solitaire and Doom 2 on it simultaneously

Free: virtual box
Paid: VMware

virtualbox runs just fine. Zero problems.
You can find some setup guides, even some for ubuntu 16.04 server

Many people get free servers from work as well.

libvirtd, virtual box sucks dong and vmware is botnet

does the listning include a power substation needed to run them doe?

Here's a page for one
ebay.com/itm/Sun-Oracle-SPARC-T4-1-8-Core-2U-2-85GHz-32GB-RAM-2x-300GB-HDD-Rack-Mount-Server-/372160919289

There are chinks selling custom LGA2011 boards with lots of ECC ram on ali, should I probably get one of those?

>Getting a server tomorrow, 2x x5570 xeon's, 24gb ram.
>What should I do with it?

>what are you using your servers for?
Excellent question.