/hsg/ - home server general

home server general - /hsg/

Are you interested in learning Linux administration and configuration better. Becoming a systemd expert? Or maybe you hate that shit and want a cozy little BSD machine to run services on and interact with. Or practice more advanced and complicated networking setups.

Well come join /hsg/ thread and have a gay old time discussing it!

>news:
> net neutrality shitposting skyrockets. ajit pai dresses as santa and spins a fidget spinner. what fucking timeline is this?

>chat
> discord.gg/9vZzCYz

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Dk3V64ZSsEI
networkinghowtos.com/howto/change-the-iptables-log-file/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

hoping for a raspberry pi for christmas, then I can join you guys.

youtube.com/watch?v=Dk3V64ZSsEI is watercooling just aesthetics or is it worth it?

also how do i safely give a friend access?

The only way I ended up safely giving my friend access to my server was installing a router between the server and my house router. I wanted "physical" separation between the serb and the rest of my network. With router settings that the LAN can't access, he can't wireshark my non-server part of the network.

Just gave them SSH access. Allowed password auth for a bit, told him to copy his keys to serb, and then disabled password auth. Works great. And while I trust the guy with my life, it still took me a serious amount of thinking and questioning before I gave him control of my serbs.

Can someone explain SAS and sata to me
Is it just a way to plug like 4 drives into one port? Does it raid them all?
ELI5

Got a spare machine, want to use it for torrenting and vms how do I use proxmox for that?

Does anyone know why I get boot errors on OpenBSD? I set up the partitions as
a:/ whatever is left of space
b:2gb swap
d: 50gb /usr/local
This is on a 1tb hardrive MBR boot.

merge with datahoard threads, fag

What do I need for a home server? ECC? Motherboard? CPU? Drives? Case? Anything else?

I find it moderatley amusing to imagine people puzzling over why I had this stuff in my flat when I finally decide to blow my fucking brains out.

Literally just buy one that isn't too loud or power hungry and meets your spec.

Oh I'm sure they'll know why.

i need a case like that i got like 7 sata drives...

Having a bunch of Chinese shitbirds leaving half-open TCP connections on a port I have exposed to WAN. I've looked into fail2ban but I'm having trouble understanding it. Is there a pre-configured jail/filter for this or do I need to make a custom one?

>still with the faggy discord
kys

not a server

>i dont understand how switches work

different protocols, google it you retard. there is a lot more to it than high density connectors like mpio

nothing to do with servers

no one cares about your shitty dead thread

this is bad advice, the louder and more power hungry the better

Bix will show up and tease you for saying that, but a raspi is a good starting server if you want to host some basic web services etc.
Watercooling is not a great idea for servers IMHO, with all the uptime you are pretty highly likely to see pump failure or fitting leak. As for giving your friend access, maybe try setting up a VPN using OpenVPN or something? That way you dont have to expose a bunch of shit to the public internet.
SAS is Serial Attached SCSI, SATA is Serial ATA. Different core protocols, but most SAS controllers can read SATA drives as well (not vice versa.) SAS can operate on multiple channels, and can be expanded by backplanes and other devices. There are components out there for multiplexing SATA, but I wouldn't reccomend it. If you want RAID, you can get a SAS or SATA controller that supports it, or use a SAS/SATA HBA with software RAID (ZFS, MDADM, btrfs, riserfs).
1. Install proxmox
2. Install vms
3. Install software.

Haha what is that supposed to mean

>Bix will show up and tease you for saying that, but a raspi is a good starting server if you want to host some basic web services etc.
Its not. I have a shitty arm board, all I use it for is a file share witness.

RasPi is good for a lot of basic stuff. Biggest limitation is the shared USB/100Mb/s ethernet. It would still be pretty good for hosting a small imageboard, micro FTP, IRC server, BBS, static sites, IRC bouncer, VPN, that sort of stuff. Basically everything that we used servers for from the 90s to the mid 2000s. If you cant figure out what to do with a pi, you dont have much of an imagination.

I have a 4670k (or whatever the haswell i5 meme is, I forget the model number), 16gb of ram, and a shitty msi motherboard, all sitting in storage (as well as a 680 but that's mostly irrelevant). I've been thinking about setting something up with BIND, email, a proper i2p node, and some home cloud/NAS thingy to centralise and organise my current ad-hoc shitty syncthing mess.

What kind of case and PSU should I be looking for?
Also, if I want, say, 4TB of storage to start with, how should I organise it for reliability? The braindead solution is to get 2 4tb discs and stick them in RAID1, but I heard that raid isn't a good backup solution. What's the recommended way to handle it?

Oh yeah and jotting down ideas for myself should I ever actually get off my ass for this, some chat servers (Matrix/IRC/XMPP) could be useful. A VPN not really since my home connection has nothing special about it. Then maybe host some meme webshit if I want to

>fail2ban
IIRC fail2ban only works on failed logins. It won't do anything about communists smashing you with TCP requests.

>not a server
It's a server if you use it as a server, pic related.

For the scale you are operating at, get a basic case and some quiet fans and some foam. As for PSU, its probably good to get one from a good brand with high efficiency, but it doesn't sound like you will be using a lot of power, so no need to worry about a high wattage unit. You are correct about RAID not being a backup, it is instead fault tolerance, in order to maintain machine and application uptime. So that means all important files should be archived in a cloud service or cold storage tapes, DVDs, or whatever. Putting two 4TB drives in a RAID1 might be a good idea just to reduce headache when one eventually fails anyways. Sounds like it could be a fun project if you find time.

Fail2ban can be configured to reject individual IPs and ranges from accessing any service, but it requires some IPTables fuckery.

moved everything but nas vm off my ts140, finally going to break open my piggy bank and buy 4 more 6tb reds and then migrate everything over to my lff hp and run 6x6tb raid 6.

gotta buy another 1500va ups to put everything in play so i guess i will just call it a christmas present for myself

>What's the recommended way to handle it?
Veeam B&R with StarWind VTL

it will never be one no matter how many times you tell yourself it is

Why cant we just have one thread without you? Honestly there is not a single other person I have ever interacted with that I hate more than you.

>Why cant we just have one thread without you?
pic related

>there is not a single other person I have ever interacted with that I hate more than you.
then i've done my job reminding you that your shitbox isnt a server. has servers, i have servers, a few other people who visit these threads have servers. you do not.

> some foam
Sorry for brainlet but why

>backup
So is there a way to handle it that isn't a pain in the ass? I don't want to be burning DVDs all day, magnetic tapes are even more expensive and annoying for consumers, and if I wanted to use cloud I wouldn't be setting up my own server

VTL nigger, VTL

>virtual tape library
So you make "tape" backups (since tapes are better for long-term high capacity storage)... But because tapes are expensive and inconvenient unless you're operating a data centre, you make them virtual... So you store your "tape backups" on an HDD.

I have not heard anything dumber this week

>Try installing OpenBSD on a server
>Doesn't work
>Ask for help
>>"Nothing to do with servers"
Gee what a great fucking general.

Im litterally the user who posted in your pic related. Not only that but I bet I have a more capable rack than you do.

Foam for sound dampaning. You can attach it to the inside of your panels if the humming is too bad. If you dont like conventional backup, you can also cold store hard drives like bixtard, but that's not super cost effective either, and it is very prone to bitrot.

Guess that means I'll have to set up a custom jail then. Anyone know how to change the location iptables logs to for Fedora 27 (or any recent Fedora with journald)?

Just out of curiosity why do you want to change the log location? I personally would reccomend just symlinking it somewhere else. If you actually want to change its location, try doing it through rsyslog.

>I have not heard anything dumber this week
Thats because you're a retard. Enterprise class backup solutions which do D2D backups will assume a disk died if it goes offline. D2T backup processes normally take tapes offline. That is why you use VTL you retard.

stupid questions thread

dont have a rack my shit is on the floor. it looks like yours is mostly powered off tho so it doesnt count. but yes you are one of the few people who belong in these threads unlike the raspi fags.

> If you dont like conventional backup
Like what
Or are you telling me that literally everyone itt who isn't that vtl fag just use some random cloud service for their backups?

Currently iptables logs are going to /var/log/kern, along with a bunch of other shit. Just trying to reduce the amount of logs fail2ban has to parse by moving iptables logs to their own file. I tried syslog-ng and it wouldn't start up, I didn't do much investigating to figure out why.

Also, sort of question the whole impetus for figuring out fail2ban...what's the likelihood that these half-open TCP connections are causing an FX-6300 to be overloaded assuming there are less than 3000 at a time?

>looks like yours is mostly powered off tho so it doesnt count.
Its powered on, but I have most of the blue LEDs disconnected on the non-critical clustered stuff.
I cant speak for other anons, but I can imagine most of them either dont practice backups, backup to a cloud service, or use traditional backup medium. I use LTO5 for my servers, LTO3 for my workstation, which can be had relatively cheaply if you are willing to lurk places like govdeals.
networkinghowtos.com/howto/change-the-iptables-log-file/
I highly doubt that serving under 3000 TCP connections could slow that CPU, but it is certiantly something you should take a look at.

>Or are you telling me that literally everyone itt who isn't that vtl fag just use some random cloud service for their backups?
they probably dont backup their disks, and if they do its a handful of shit to a external drive once every 6 months.

>I highly doubt that serving under 3000 TCP connections could slow that CPU
That's kinda what I was thinking, but that also means that my CPU usage issues stem from one of the other applications the server is running, and it's not really running much else. Just samba (only for file sharing), ssh, sftp, webmin, and another web server for internal use only.

Anyway, thanks user

>the louder and more power hungry the better
gay boi is gay boi

Webmin might be killing some of your resources, that's pretty poorly written/managed software. Have you looked through htop to check in resource usage?

right on, just got a new switch

no he hasnt otherwise he wouldnt be asking stupid questions like if a handful of embryonic connections would slow down his box, or be incapable of thinking to lower the timeout value to test his theory

infiniband or ethernet?

Actually I have had trouble with webmin, it will randomly become inaccessible and only reinstalling it will restore it to working condition. I hadn't even though to try top though, I was just using webmin's dashboard to monitor CPU usage. It happens to be a custom Java application I actually forgot was running. So I guess I was looking in the wrong place from the start.

You can do that? How would I go about lowering the timeout? Sorry, my knowledge of linux is mostly self-taught, so it's pretty spotty.

>You can do that?
yes. see sysctls like net.ipv4.tcp_max_syn_backlog and net.ipv4.tcp_synack_retries

He could also use MaxKeepAliveRequests, which is built right in to Apache.

also net.ipv4.tcp_syn_retries

Ethernet senpai, 32x40Gb

Sick. What switch and how much did it run you?

for what purpose with so few nodes? i can only assume you took it home from work, because if you were to buy it they make plenty of switches with a handful of 40gbe ports. also how many watts?

anyways congrats on the over powered switch for your homelab

Awesome, thanks anons

I just picked up a Quanta 10Gb/s switch. 24 ports, but the only things I am using that have 10Gb are my NAS, 4 of my VM nodes, and my workstation. Now I need to find 10Gb modules so I can do fast uplink for my switches.

514 Shipped
I really wanted it for the 96x10Gb that it can breakout to, and the price I couldn't resist. It is around 4.5W per port. And thanks senpai, its pretty amaze balls. Got more QSFP+ cables coming, 10Gb everywhere!
I use DAC, except to my workstation that is up stairs. That uses fiber. I'll have 8x10Gb links up and going once I get my other QSFP+ cable.

>I really wanted it for the 96x10Gb that it can breakout to
wut. if it is 32 ports wouldnt i break out to 128 10gbe ports? what is this 3 10gbe lanes per 40gbe port. and what the fuck do you need that many 10gbe ports for?

Its just how it breaks up senpai.

Very neat.

since i live at home still and can't build something like a rack and put it in a room/basement by istelf, i just have my basic overkill plex server with VM's for whatever i need

i decided to go for windows 8.1 since i'm not much of a linux boio and still learning.

it has been running without any issues for over 1 year now. (automated restart every day 09:00)

>server
>vms
>windows 8
>daily restart

what in the fuck

>daily restart
takes 2 minutes max, i¨m at work or sleeping at that time so why not?
>server
yes i would specify it as a 'server' since it's purposed as a server, hurr durr muh POWEREDGE IS REAL DEAL.
>windows 8
never had any issues, and i don't wear a tin foil hat and believe in a flat earth or aliens.
>vms
yea? is it illegal for anyone but you to run a VM? you do know if i run 2 programs that dont like each other on the same machine there's gonna be issues

stop being jelly you broke fuck basement dweller, go to work or smt.

What said. You should really take a look at putting something like Xen or proxmox on there.
8.1 is not a good server OS or a platform foe running VMs.

yeah i get that
>i decided to go for windows 8.1 since i'm not much of a linux boio and still learning."

also i said
>it has been running without any issues for over 1 year now"

so as it is right now, it's working perfectly fine, until i finish my apprenticeship and get full wage so i can live on my own without issues.

>without issues
>daily reboot
Im not even saying you cant stick windows in a VM, but if you want a stable and secure host OS or hypervisor, you are way better of investing a little bit of time into figuring out Proxmox, Xen, ESXi, whatever.

But honestly I couldn't care less what you do. If your server makes you happy then keep it the way it is. Im not bix. The point of the hobby is to entertain yourself and do the best you can do.

>win8 is bad
>gives no shit to the raspi fags
and people wonder why i do nothing but shit on people in here

Go drink some bleach, you literal retard.

>comparing cheap a *nix based FOSS single board computer with underpowered hardware to a shitty proprietary desktop operating system that was never intended to be run on a server.
I can't tell if you are actually retarded or just stirring soykaf.

lmao

>b-b-but it is the target of a initiator then its a server
stay mad pifag

>he is such an edgelord he defies the dictionary definition of server
wew lad, this is an 18+ website.

is sysadmin the job one one with go into if they like this sort of thing? what about devops?

>dictionary
>wikipedia

Sysadmins don't exist any more, unless you are working for govmnt or live in a third world country. It is a dying breed, with most services that where previously handled being exported to the cloud, or automated to the point where any issues or configuration changes can be made by and underpaid contractor. Devops is a scam, they hire one person and make them do two jobs, one as a developer and the other as a deployment/QA engineer. Stay away from computing as a career if you value your sanity.

one would go* into

thanks for the adivice.

Has anyone ever built a NAS gateway to a SAN? Anything i need to be aware of?

Is your plan to mount iSCSI from a SAN to a box to host a NFS or SMB server? I have a similar system, it works pretty good. A lot of places do that, don't try to route iSCSI on your normal network at the very least.

Basically this. If you work in IT and aren't learning python you're going to find yourself falling well behind soon. Cloud and network are both moving to scripted automation. Anyone who's worked in a properly developed AWS environment will tell you there basically is no direct access to systems anymore. Just scripts which check health. Scripts which deploy systems, scripts which tear down systems. Once SDN comes into its own things will be a lot weirder.

everyone in this threadm but the people who posted pics of their rigs, shoudl fucking kill themselves
[spoiler]yes that includes me[/spoiler]

This is nothing new, people have been scripting things since before you were born. I've been doing it since the late 90s. Sysadmins will still be here in 20 years. Not everyone has 10k+ nodes they need to manage. SMBs will still have IT staff. And the amount of time it takes to automate a lot of tasks will outweigh the payoff.

is that not devops? Maybe Im confused.

I kinda agree, only because Im hearing some companies move to a sort of hybrid cloud infrastructure.
I also suppose those VMs have to live somewhere so someone has to take care of that datacenter?

no it's different. he's just talking about automating the janitorial work. not actual software work.

unlike you i have a life & a job, so i don't have any particular reason to drink bleach, sorry

but people who get annoyed and hurt by words. like you, should drink bleach

I'm trying to get some failover running on 17.10. Two nics, two different isps. Anyone using something similar?

Hey guys can you give me some advice.

I want to buy used server. So what models should I look for if I want something that is not loud and doesn't suck electricity?

Or is it better to go for a workstation in my case?

Usage will be few VM's, storage and maybe multimedia but that is not that important. Thanks

Workstation. I'm at work looking at ibm's 1U and 4U, they're both loud as fuck compared to a mid tower pc.

Jesus christ user, what capacity are those disks and how did you acquire them?

Either that's a pic from work and not your personal storage, or you went about some shady shenanigans to obtain them.

hp microserver

>discord
>not IRC

Agreed. Anyone already hosting an IRC instance we can use? I can set up one when I get off work if needed.

In that pic, 12x 3TB deskstars and 8x 2TB deskstars. I have 2 more cases of them too

>Either that's a pic from work and not your personal storage
They're personal

Does your VTL software create parity partitions and check for bitrot etc.?

No, thats the purpose of having multiple backup sets. If a block/cluster gets fucked, Veeam will detect it and tell me when I'm restoring. Then I just restore it from the opposite backup set.