Why would anyone switch from Windows to Linux?

Honestly. Pulsaudio is a gigantic mess. There's screen tearing with Nvidia cards. No GUI's for most things, only obscure and unclear command lines with poor documentation.
The very basics of Linux are broken.

But it gets worse. Poor selection of programs that are often inferior to their Windows equivalent in every way Gimp-Photoshop for example. Gaming is pretty much out of the question, as is productive work.
So what would possess someone to willingly choose Linux over Windows?

Other urls found in this thread:

infoworld.com/article/3196733/linux/will-linux-protect-you-from-ransomware-attacks.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Linux is a top tier text editor.

SAGE THE BAIT

>Pulseaudio is a gigantic mess
Hmm, wierdly audio works better on my Linux partition than on my Windows one

>Screen tearing
Not on my machine :^)

>No GUIs
Wrong, complex things have GUIs, simple things don't even need them.

>Poor documentation
Now you're just pulling things out of your ass

>Poor selection of programs
Wierd, Linux has way more programs suited for my needs

>Gaming
Ahahaha, get out son

>Can't do productive work
Where the fuck are you pulling this idea?

I cannot go back after being freedompilled.

to expand on this:
>wierdly audio works better
pulseaudio works great now, but when it first got introduced into distros, it broke everyone's sound and was a nightmare to work with. OP probably hasn't even used Linux since then, and thinks it's still broken. (it's not)
>Not on my machine
Yeah if you have compositing support through compton or certain DEs, screen tearing is minimal, although it occasionally happens.
Thankfully we have wayland on the way, the main benefit of it that I keep hearing is that it gets rid of all screen tearing.
>GUIs
I think for serious administration tasks, the shell is the best way of doing it. However, for the average normie using Ubuntu, they shouldn't need to ever fuck with it. The desktop has a preferences menu where you can change most of the settings, and installation of software can be done through a GUI package manager such as the software center or some other frontend to apt
>Now you're just pulling things out of your ass
Yeah I agree. One of the first things they told me any time I take a linux related course or read linux guides is how to use the man pages, which should tell you what you need to know. There's also other forms of documentation, as well as the whole fucking internet. Linux has amazing documentation. You just need to know where it is.
>Wierd, Linux has way more programs suited for my needs
Yep! Wincucks have this awful mentality that just because they can't use THIS program to do a task, that must mean they can't do it. I've never had a problem with GIMP for basic things, and I've found some excellent youtube tutorials if I ever wanted to do anything professional with it.
>Where the fuck are you pulling this idea?
His ass

hey OP kill yourself

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Not OP, but I shouldn't have to do an hour's worth of googling just to figure out how to install Spotify.

>poor documentation
>when you can literally just 'man [x]' to read any docs you want
Why do winfaggots pretend that windows documentation is even existent?

>I'm retarheh

Whoever they are, nothing is stopping them. Friendly reminder to report this and move on.

Bah, just use it on your browser if you're too stupid to learn how to use the package manager.

>Too stupid to use the package manager

Exactly my problem with the Linux community. If you aren't willing to put in the hours necessary to figure shit out, you get insulted for pointing out the fact that it takes a long time to learn the system. Sorry, but I have a life.

>the current state of Indian shills
saged.

Good. Brainlets can run back to their daddy microsoft.

>sorry but i get a life
Exactly, how am I wasting more time than you by doing
>sudo apt-get install spotify
>done
vs.
>go to spotify website
>find download button
>start the exe
>look out for toolbars
>remove entry in msconfig

Time spent learning Linux is not wasted, it's invested in the future. But people with your wagecuck normie mentality, who want instant gratification and nothing else, will never be able to appreciate this.

You're right OP, switching to Windows 10 immediately.

Gotta love the denial, when Linux doesn't even have proper soundcard drivers, or a device manager comparable to the Windows one.

Mint comes with Spotify, and/or it is available on the Software Center with one click, don't even need to go to a browser and download a file, it is actually harder on Windows, no need at all to use the console (and even like then, installing is just one command, takes 5 minutes to google it and execute it).

You Linux haters need to stop spreading bullshit please.

>microshit windaids

>Pulsaudio is a gigantic mess.
Generic pointless bitching #1
>Screen tears with novideo
Generic pointless bitching #2

Is it bait if it's true?

>winlets need a device manager because their shitty NT kernel doesn't come with the drivers they need

I switched from win7 Ubuntu 14.04 years ago, use 16.04 now, no issues with sound or gfx with my nvidia card, there are plenty kg games on steam and seeing most of my gaming is csgo it's a non issue as it has native port. Most windows games are made by soyboys and suck anyway, so I don't see what im missing.

Only thing that doesn't work is my laser printer but I rarely used it anyway

Well tell me, how do you disable a device in Linux distros?

Just modprobe that module away.

1. Because I can
2. Because I can pick up geeks and girls with it
3. Because It is more stable, than Windows
4. Because It can run Windows Apps*
5. Because It makes dick 20% longer.**

*not all
**or smaller

>Pulsaudio
what is jack?
>GUI
Not needed
>poor documentation
learn to read
>programs
it's all there or use wine
>games
grow up

That doesn't look user-friendly.

>modprobe -r xyz
>too hard for winlets

>ready for consumer adoption
>year of the linux desktop

>user-friendly
You're one of brain dead fucks who ruined technology. Fuck you. Fuck the lowest common denominator.

>thinking I care about normalfag """needs"""

Even ubuntu has it in its software center. Just click install and type your password.
Most normie "apps" are being added as snaps, like discord, steam, spotify and such.

No, you're the retard for thinking memorizing module names and running commands in a terminal is better than using an intuitive gui.
Fuck you.

>being an avatar fag in the year 2018

pathetic OP

and you're the reason why mearly nobody takes linux seriously and makes official drivers for it.

>he doesn't know how to view the installed drivers on his system

Except literally every single major company.

>intuitive
I don't want it to be intuitive. I want it to be difficult so fuckers would go back to pursuing outdoor activities and breeding so I can use the internet in peace.
>nobody takes linux seriously and makes official drivers for it.
Do you think I give a fuck? Official drivers for what? GPUs? Fuck you, you man child. Go back to facebook or snapcat or whatever you idiots use to talk to each other.

It's not 1998 grammpa. Maybe you should try it again before you say dumb things.

And this is why freetards are the laughingstock of technology.

two words:
neural networks.

>laughingstock of technology
oh no. woe is me. I wish the stories would come true and your mobile phones would give you cancer.

>Pulsaudio is a gigantic mess
Just werkz for me.
>No GUI's for most things
Since when is that a bad thing? Also, it's bullshit. There's a gay GUI program for everything now, just look at Ubuntu.
> obscure and unclear command lines with poor documentation
Not true, most tools are well documented. At times better than your GUI tools.
> Gimp-Photoshop for example
Gimp is not a replacement of photoshop. Photoshop is professional software, nobody would write something so complex for free. It's just a superior version of Paint.NET
> Gaming is pretty much out of the question
It's not.
> as is productive work
Except the overwhelming majority of non-desktop computers are running Linux, so it's much better to write software for them using a Linux system, than Microsoft's so far inferior WSL. Also, RHEL still exists. Which means there are companies using Linux as their primary operating system.
> So what would possess someone to willingly choose Linux over Windows?
The desire to have full control over MY fucking computer, instead of coping with Windows' bullshit every day.

you sound like someone who just installed ubuntu.

>it's bullshit.
see

modprobe is too simple to have GUI

>mfw switched from Windows to Linux over two years ago
>mfw haven't looked back
feels nice.

normiefag here
Can i get freedompilld too?
Why should I drop windows?

It's also a very low-level tool. If you want a GUI, write a front-end yourself.
Nobody wrote it so far because using the command line tool is much faster.

So you can use modprobe instead of a few clicks, as you can see.

If you have to ask this question, you shouldn't.

I want to love Lunix, but it's sad that it lacks basic features even Windows 95 had.

Underrated

i'll bite.
which feature?

Some people are just scared shitless of a text interface. Wangblows never asks then to type anything so they don't even know how to approach a keyboard.

Examples?
And don't tell me "GUI tools".
The first thing you do when you switch to Linux is getting used to the terminal. Even if you're running Gaybuntu, two months later you'll be hitting whatever key combination you bound to the terminal automatically whenever you need something. The first mistake novices make is expecting their distro of chouce to be Windows.
Linux systems are NOT Windows.

>windows still has no usable shell or package manager
Why would I ever switch to Windows?

Well, if you have a 9000 GHz processor, Powershell becomes usable.

A kernel bug that lets sim city run faster by bypassing otherwise show dogshit winapi.

*slow

Yeah, I should also learn modprobe and every low-level tool in-depth, instead of using a tool which tells me everything without any prior research needed.
Not everyone wants to be a hacker or a sysadmin just to get basic functionality out of a desktop computer.

I wish I was motivated enough to go full freedompill, but my laptop has an intel chip so, thats out of the question, win10 ltsb is comfy tho so fuck it im staying half way
So you're saying that if people call distros "linux", I should be allwed to call my android os linux as well?
Also how free is lineageos and microg? I've been on this for a long time, i feel it's more libre than my windows desktop

>punch in "how to xyz in Linux"
>click first result
>select the command text
>bring up terminal
>middle click
>done
Wow that's so difficult how can anyone expect people to be able to do this.

What if you're not connected to the internet?

>Gaming is pretty much out of the question, as is productive work.

Dumb question so I can use this command and swap out Spotify with any Linux program version and I can download and install it?

People like that shouldn't install Linux. It's not yet a normie system, nor does it need to be.
It's simplicity of customization VS simplicity of use. You can't have both, and the moment Linux systems' philosophy switches to the latter, it will lose its value.

As if you were able to do all that obscure options and regedit shit in Windows without looking it up online.

I'm four years in. Sometimes I have to fix a computer with Windows and I remember how glad I am not to be using that shit. The abundance of counterintuitive bullshit to be found on Windows is astounding.

If it's in the repositories. Do "apt search ..." to see if something's there

>You can't have both
and you keep advertising "freedom of choice"

I'll bite, give me a good reason why you "can't have both".

I sure as fuck managed to use the device manager on my own when we didn't even have dial-up.

This, there's no shame in sticking with proprietary software for those who can't learn about free systems

Yes that's how it works. You can list multiple apps and packages to install at a time. When you download programming dependencies it's the only sensible way to go, like who the fuck would download them one at a time, let alone manually from different websites and then manually installing them.

Not him, but it's pretty simple: if something is highly configurable, it has lots of knobs. Needing to know what all these knobs do makes it harder to use the system. Similarly, something simple has very few knobs, making it inherently bad at customization.

>device manager
Yeah that's about as advanced as Ubuntu options GUI.

> give me a good reason why you "can't have both"
Actually you can but it takes much time to develop.

>there's no shame
there is

>your government forces you to give your money to retards "because they are too retarded to earn it themselves"
>oh they shouldn't feel ashamed because of that, they are just retarded!

You can duct tape over most knobs to trick normalfags into thinking it just werks. And if you happen to need them, they're still there.

Honestly I'd prefer just to use a package manager like systematic but still it's awesome you don't even need a browser to install programs.

Because it has very little malware. Why would I use Windows when it's just an open wound of an OS.

I guess I deserve Bill Gates to rule my life, then.

Can I still be ransomwared on Linux?

Because customization is difficult and dangerous in the hands of a moron. If Windows gave the user the kind of power Linux does, imagine how many calls and messages would Pajeet get daily.
Also, creating easy to use systems for the leftmost part of the IQ distribution curve is typically what corporations are interested in. The Linux community often just says "read the fucking manuals", they don't get any of your money and hence have no reason to wipe your ass. Commercial systems can't possible give you as much freedom of choice as open source system, because they have secrets to hide from competitors.

You can access most of the normalfag software from the Ubuntu app store whateverthefuck. If you gonna install programming libraries you gonna need terminal, but at that point you're already balls deep in it just from programming.

Yes, but there's probably very little ransomware for linux, because it's not profitable.

Suppose I want to temporarily disable a USB device. How do I go about that in the options?

No. Even Windows is safe from ransomware if it's up to date.

infoworld.com/article/3196733/linux/will-linux-protect-you-from-ransomware-attacks.html

Good.
Nobody needs another "How do I open the command line" on the Ubuntu forums.

So how did Android succeed then?

I just prefer software that works through a GUI. I'm sure if your first computer was Linux, then it'd be fine. I'd rather spend my time figuring out other shit than how to get my computer to do basic shit.

Android has no real customization unless you just want to fiddle with fonts and themes.

>not helping another user to be freed from the claws of Microshit
plz kill yourself

Shit if I know, I only ever had to add custom resolution to a monitor that didn't report it as supported, but sure enough with a bit of terminal dickery you can force feed it pretty much anything. Overclocking monitors is fun.

But when rooted, you can virtually run anything on it, can't you? Even your terminals.

>rooting your phone
It's like virus hazard is not high enough for you on a sandboxed phone.

Don't remind me about xorg.conf and modelines.
I'm glad it tends to just werk with LCD monitors, but I found out about Ubuntu when I still only had a CRT. Those weren't fun times(and that shit still doesn't autodetect resolutions/refresh rates to this day).

>taking full control of your own device is a virus hazard