Proprietary file system

>proprietary file system
how is this allowed? thats like me buying a burger at McDonalds but they take my stomach

Other urls found in this thread:

superuser.com/questions/97071/do-ssds-get-fragmented-and-if-they-do-is-that-an-issue
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I wouldn't have a problem with it being proprietary if it was actually good.
>tfw defrag is still a thing
Thanks NTFS

Defrag is a meme. Ntfs is just inheritely shitty

Because cucks tolerate it.

NTFS is fucking awful.

I'd be okay with NTFS being a thing if fucking Currysoft was capable of reading anythin beyond just ntfs

They get a lot of leeway for being pretty much a monopoly.

If you don't like it, then why use it? fucking faggot.

>food analogy
a shitty one at that, I lol'd

all filesystems are fucking awful. zfs is honestly the only option for data integrity.

t. someone who does forensics for money

Hello
What is your thoughts on btrfs? I hear it has a lot of similarities to zfs

RH is killing it, doesn't matter anymore.

>Defrag is a meme.
Defrag is not a meme. It's an inherent flaw of magnetic hard drive media, NTFS is just so shit it does not incorporate any ways to battle it except manual defragging.

Step aside.

dead and the tooling isn't as matured.

Doesn't OpenPEPE default to it though?

>OpenPEPE
Vomited in my mouth a little

if it is so flawed they could have changed it years ago, seems to me like there isnt realy a problem

Yeah, they'll probably maintain it for a while until whatever replacement comes.

Or they could default to XFS like on SLES

what gets me is how there still isnt a clean room implementation that fully works

> the amount of times i have formatted a ntfs disk in linux to plug it into a win machine
>would you like to fix this disk
>9/10 normies think it has a virus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Anyone have experience with deduplication? Does it work for large media files?

And I mean block deduplication, not file deduplication.

Get raped and kill yourself, you retarded fucking faggot sack of nigger shit with down syndrome.

What he said but asking nicely.

haha, praise KEK amirite fellow kekistanis? shadilay! XD

Nope, They use XFS for /home and btfrs to /.

kys analogy pig

>Windows 10 adding Ubuntu
>OH BUT NO LINUX FILESYTEM COMPATIBILITY
really activates my almonds

>thats like me buying a burger at McDonalds but they take my stomach
That might be the dumbest analogy I've ever witnessed on this shit site.

NTFS is god fucking awful for data integrity.
CHKDSK is your only glimmer of hope when something breaks.

Much better off with XFS and BTRFS.

For fucks sake XFS was made YEARS before NTFS and it's the fastest hottest shit around.
Microsoft is inept.

I use ZFS on everything even my laptops.

Fragmentation is a major issue after a bit.
No means but to send and recv again to defrag.

>
>Get raped and kill yourself, you retarded fucking faggot sack of nigger shit with down syndrome.
Gladly

who cares, I use f2fs

Do you have throughput or do you have T H R O U G H P U T

Ext4 the best, but I cant install use Windows on this :/

You can install linux on NTFS though.
It's terrifying as you have no means to natively fsck the install.

> install, wout "use"
fastfix

But I cant install Windows on ext3/4

Newfag regarding filesystems here:
What makes ext4 good over ntfs?
Maybe a better question would be, what makes ext4 good?

No need to defragment, for starters

>RAID 6 still janky on BTrFS

how tho

The internet can explain it better but basically it goes like this.
>NTFS creates file that spans block 1 through block 5
>It creates another file which it then inserts from block 6 to block 10
>You edit the first file, making it bigger
>Since NTFS already has block 6 taken up by a different file, it puts the extra changes in block 11.
If a file shrinks then a small file goes in the space between the other two, but then the shrunk file grows again, it has to split, and so on.
Ext4 creates files and just puts them on a spot on the disk with plenty of space to grow on either side. The access time is no different to any one location on the disk, but the entirety of the file is (in basically all cases) in the same location, making access time quicker for ext4. That's a very broad overview, someone can correct me if I'm missing anything crucial

Good god what the fuck

At least SSDs came along an unfucked it, even thought I think there should be a filesystem designed for flash storage. I think there was one for Linux however I think Microsoft should make one for Windows.

That would require MS to be good at their job, user

>63948640
yeah, but zfs is aimed for cold (unchanging) storage. if i knew a tree was going to fragment i'd use something like xfs or even tmpfs + UPS.

You have no stomach, yor a virtual entity.

fragmentation is not specific to magnetic disk media at all, it can happen on any kind of storage, and is a filesystem problem
it's not 100% avoidable, but intelligent data placement can greatly reduce fragmentation build up, something ntfs does very poorly

there's no reason to use anything other than REISERFS

>XFS was made YEARS before NTFS
xfs was first used in 1994, ntfs 1993

fragmentation can cause read/write amplification on ssd's, when the filesystem block size is smaller than the ssd's erase block size, which is usually the case
ntfs sucks on ssds as well

>I think there should be a filesystem designed for flash storage.
there are, such as F2FS (linux supports it)

At least NTFS is documented and stable. APFS is totally incompatible with everything, including Apple's own software to a large extent.

newfag detected

Yes, you just established that.

Use ZFS, friend.

You mean Reiser4?
>shitty, proprietary fs A is better than shitty, proprietary fs B because fs B is literally the most incompetent thing ever made, and that somehow validates something slightly less incompetent

because microsoft is too retarded to make use of basic computer science concepts that have been around for decades

what about btrfs

>imagine being @ computers

I think that this one is some kind of rude joke that's been going on for too long, still of questionable stability after years.

can you even use something else on windows? i cant play my games on loonix

they have support for FAT 16 and FAT 32 :^)

NTFS
New Technology File System

Where 'New Technology' is about quarter century old

it was new back when it was new

>Microsoft is inept.
Nothing new under the sun.

What's wrong with ntfs apart from being proprietary?
I never lost a file in ntfs unlike hfs+ which happens often

What I like about ntfs is that it's compatible with every proprietary device out there and fuse + ntfs3g works great in gnu/linux
And honestly I like how ACLs work in ntfs

extfat though.. that is a completely shit unreliable fs

>ntfs3g works great in gnu/linux
Absolute bull. Unless by "works great" you mean "doesn't randomly cause system crashes"

>compatible with every propiretary device out there
>somehow completly incompatible with a lot of office copiers and everything made by apple

no, its compability is shitty when you're out of the MS-World.

Also ntfs3g is a steaming pile of shit.

Putting new in the name of a technology can't possibly age well.

zfs = bloat
just store everything the simplest way possible. unix file system.

Speaking of file systems. What would be a good file system where I would just write stuff that I need backed up on a disk, unmount it from my computer and just store it in a cabinet or something?

btrfs or zfs with meta/data duplication set to 2 or more
this way, everything is checksummed, and duplicated on the disk, so you can both detect and repair errors in the data if they happen

Worst part is it can't handle transfers over 5gb

what ? WHY it is shit explain this to me please anons
also what else to use ? fat 32 ? exfat ?

Great, lesser versions of NTFS

It's literally nothing like that. That's the whole joke.

Why ? ARE you writing like
this ?

ReFS when?

I accidentally toggled the switch on my surge protector recently, and I have to say, if I were back in my ext3 days, I would've been pulling my hair out the moment I'd realized what I'd done. Fortunately, I was using btrfs, and it literally repaired itself upon rebooting. Btrfs isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, and certainly not enterprise-ready, but, boy is it nice to be using a real file system for once. No wonder the Unix weenies love ZFS so much, despite the fact that it's about as un-Unix as a fs could possibly be--they do their best to suppress memories of fs trauma. I just feel bad for our OpenBSD friends who're stuck with UFS. Makes me shudder just thinking about it.

Not defending their pajeet system but they do update it while keeping the same name. You couldn't take a modern formatted NTFS and read it on NT 4

but that's a lie.

this is not an answer for my question
answer me and i will answer yours

ntfs works perfectly fine on linux mint desu

>linux mint is a photocopier
genius

>f-f-friday night

Its shittiness was already explained earlier in this thread.
It's closed-source which makes it hard to implement for other vendors than microsoft, hence its incompatibility with apple software and some office appliances and its limited compatibility with gnu/linux systems.
Also it has no useful features like snapshots and it tends to fragment horribly on magnetic media. Through its typical formatting when writing data it also wears out ssds faster.
And since it is closed source nobody that isn't microsoft can improve it. Since microsoft doesn't improve it, it stays shitty.

Now would you kindly tell us why you are writing like an idiot?

I see what you did there :D

>Now would you kindly tell us why you are writing like an idiot?
because it was too lazy to re-check what i wrote

last question
how bad it fragments on magnetic drives ?
and should i just reformat to fat 32 ?

Thanks for the tip on fragmentation, I'll have to research that more for my future ZFS NAS/SAN.

This board is filled with so many screeching autists sometimes who act like one technology's slight advantage over another calls for a national autism parade. Yet you don't hear anybody crying about FAT or exFAT's downsides.

superuser.com/questions/97071/do-ssds-get-fragmented-and-if-they-do-is-that-an-issue

Why are you expecting an answer ??

are you retarded ?