/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Old Thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replaceable CPUs, IPS displays available, chiclet
P series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Is libreboot still going to do that x220?

First for anime traps.

requesting bios image edit of my trapfu

can anyone clarify what are the differences between As-built and MTM tabs in the lenovo parts lookup? trying to look up an x230 im buying from a guy locally - got the serial number, and when i look it up in the lenovo site it doesn't show any LCD panel type under the As-built for the specific laptop, but shows only 1 type of LCD in the MTM tab - does this mean that any laptop made of that model type will necessarily have the LCD shown in the MTM? If it's an IPS, will my specific laptop necessarily have an IPS?

What to do with thinkpad? Was this just a meme? Also what distro should i install for best battery life?

Stop posting ugly men

>What to do with computer? Was this just a meme?
you tell me

>T420 cannot play 1080p MKV files

Where were you when the t420 was officially "not enough" anymore?

God only knows.
Don't stay up for it.

Mine does.
What kind of video?
What encoding?
What media player?

What is capping? Your CPU? RAM? disk?

1080p Blu Ray rips of fine animation
MKV
VLC

I'll have to check and report back. i7 2670qm, 8gb ram, Evo 850 SSD. integrated graphics.

Rip t420

What's a good bidness experience TM laptop that has a 15.6" IPS (1920x1080,) with the latest 8000 series quad-core i5 processors?

Budget is cheap as possible
Use case is for personal use/study
Doesn't have to be Chinkpad, other bidness PCs are welcome

Try with MPC on a non-bloat OS and see if it still happen.

Also, if it's a pure BD rip, I'm not that surprised. Those shit can be unnecessarily fucking heavy.

Is there an MOC release for Linux? Also, running Ubuntu, is this a factor?

Tfw flashed libreboot on my x200.

First for x230

>that FN/CTRL key position
I dislike it.

Sup Forums I'm looking for a $1000 thinkpad so far the ones I like are the p40 and the t470p, which would you recommend of the actual models?

I saw it in the other thread, what's wrong with the t420 screens?

Friendly remainder that ThinkPad top quality died in 2009.

>that FN/CTRL key position
I like it.

What type of thinkpad keyboard is considered as good?

>T420 cannot play 1080p MKV files
What the flying fuck? My X61t with a low voltage core 2 duo can play 1080p mkv just fine without dropped frames on Win7 with mpv.

your i7 2670qm is probably fucked

Why would you _want_ to spend 1 grand? Is this your parent's money for christmas? Be reasonable.

Tell us what your needs are, and we'll give you the best laptop with the best price.

i own a t520 but i want a more portable beater lappy that will not break. Im deciding between the t61p and t61 or t60, whats the difference?

They’re just bad. Resolution, color, viewing angles etc. they’re fine, but are the one part that doesn’t really stand up to modern computers (well that and usb 3)

Well shit

I remember seeing in passing that there are two different fans offered for the t430 with dgpu - do any of you pleasant gentlemen have suggestions on how to tell the shit one from the better one?

Is the X240 the best bet for someone who's had a MacBook Air for the better part of a decade but doesn't have money for a replacement?

Mainly for shitposting and watching YouTube and shit

>tfw your uncle gifts you a mint-condition 600X that he bought for his son entering college 16 years ago, that he never used for whatever reason
There is no better feel. GOATest laptop keyboard of all time. It's the only thing I write my papers on. I pity you fools who are unable to experience it.

About to go pick up a 4gb stick of RAM to max out my x201, gonna start looking into an eGPU solution with a 1060 later maybe

I don't care about screen size so long that its over 11 inches and at least 768p, I just want a

You are literally asking for an X220

Tell reddit instead, why would I care?

X230 is better on most points and cheaper.
Except if you have a screen resolution fetish, go for a X230.
Or even X220 if you're a keyboard fetishist.

You should care, user

look into a T420 or X220 user

This is the literal definition of an X2xx.

To be honest my biggest hang up is size. I had/ve the 11" Air and it was comfy as fuck. I have a desktawp for gaming/working

Is it worth flashing coreboot on my x230 already have all the tools to do it since I librebooted my buddies t500 and my x200.

Size? There isn't much difference between the X220/230/240 afaik.

EliteBook 2560p is also be an option especially if user doesn't use TrackPoint

>isn't much difference
muh chiclet tho

But, user...

It wouldn't be a Memepad then...

You'll get the braggin rights and muh freedom

How about in relation to the Air? It's tiny, the X240 is the smallest but is still noticeably thicker than the Air; it's also much heavier.

reee dont recommend other busyniz laptops

Well, it's a Thinkpad.
Of course it's thicc. But it's sturdy.

If you want skeletor laptops, look at the X1 carbon, but it's not the same price.

Yes Christmas gift, but it's for March because I'll use it for college and it starts on that month, so programming shit and video editing will be the tasks I'll perform.

Today I found a x220t but the screen had a 10x10px damage it was internal and additionally in the bottom of the screen were keyboard marks, the stylus was missing and it was really worn down on the edges, the trackpad was really worn and when using the tablet mode the pointer moved on his own.

It was being sold at 260$ and I was going to invest in ram and a ssd, but a new screen I didn't think so.

everything is thicker than the air

>video editing
You need a GPU, look at the W520/W530.

you get used to it, same on my x220

Memepad became into only because you could get quality laptops at a low price when they got old and were sold off from leasing. Sadly Lenovo has been decreasing the quality and upgradablity so one must question if ThinkPad is the true memepad anymore.

With EliteBook you can get compact laptop with socketed cpu and if you don't care about TrackPoint why should you even care about nuThinkPad.

chiclet. utter shit keyboard user

I like my 2510p for XP gaming though

>are ThinkPads memepads?
A true philosophical question of our time.

Does one of y'all live in College Station? Seen some think pads and thinkpad paraphanelia on the local craigslist. X230s, replacement keyboards, IPS screens, that sort of thing lol. Suppose it's no surprise considering how absolutely fucking massive of a school TAMU is.

what is this meme? go to the website it says the p71 starts at 1300 and maxes out at 2500. The p71 is a steal for a desktop replacement considering the 4k screen, good keyboard, all day battery life, etc

I bought a 2nd hand t450 today, what do you guys think about them? mines in really good condition and it has the bigger battery plus 12 gigs ram.

Shit man I found a w520 for 400$ two weeks ago, but I turned them down later I regretted it and their ad was taken down because of breaking the rules of the web company.

here, you'll probably need to make the filesize smaller tho

It's the _starting_ price in New Zealand.

Fuck off back to /r/cancer

>buy used thinkpad
>notice there are tiny bugs crawling on the screen

How do I get rid of the bugs?

What.
What kind of bugs?

And simply spray near the laptop with bug-killing spray, they'll die out.
But if you have a nest inside the laptop, send pics, it can be cute.

pics?

Really tiny bugs, you could mistake them for stuck pixels crawling around the screen. I assume they are probably coming from the keyboard or something.

Cute.
But yeah, turn off the laptop, close the lid, spray bug-killer on and around it, let it mellow for a night and they'll be dead.

>buying used electronics

do you buy used underwear too?

Only from your mom.

>do you buy used underwear too?
I unironically bought used underwear from an army surplus.
For my defense, they're really comfy and sturdy.

Update: installed MPV and the t420 is now playing the video just fine. Seems to be a VLC optimization issue.

Not looking forward to learning these new shortcuts, but fuck if I'll be able to optimize VLC.

so the build-in battery is not charging for the new Thinkpad, and I've found some similar problems people have encountered, yet no clear solution so far. not the external battery, which is fine, but the eternal battery is not charging when you plug in. Some say this has to do Windows default battery management driver but I've tried Lenovo's one and no luck so far. I didn't change anything other than swap the hard disk to my ssd and install ltsb on it. It's not affecting my daily usage but it's kinda annoying. x270 btw.

>tfw father's work has over 200 T420s and X220s in storage that they're just getting rid of
>tfw I can have all of them
>for free

Are you going to post this in every fucking thread?

Do you have a (you) addiction?

What are some thinkpad models that run cool and quiet?

pls send one my way user

[email protected]

(my name is neither greg nor fred)

my x220 idles at 40-50c and is completely inaudible for Sup Forums, Visual studio, office shit, etc.

the idle clock is low so it should last forever too

give me one

Delete.

Is paying $316.00

for a W520 with 256GB 2 power bricks i7-28 quadcore with 16 gigs of ram and 1080p and a dock too much? Am I paying too much?

No, it's pretty fucking nice.
Especially with the dock.

Also, is the GPU a 1000K or a 2000K?

Got issued a thinkpad 13 and kind of like it. Is there a consensus on it?

Can I use a 2560 x 1600 monitor with x220? Will it be smooth. Just doing office shit.

I had a Lenovo E330 'Thinkpad'
It is just an IdeaPad with nipple. And slight water-resistance (keyboard dies, system doesn't).

>They're just bad.
I like them. Stop pretending your opinion is objective.

I don't think so, no.
You'll have 1366*768 and that's it.

Don't forget that fucking awful keyboard.

I think he meant an external monitor.

Got a new battery for my dankpad for christmas, since the old battery I'd had since I bought it used finally got so busted its level would randomly drop to 1% then stay there forever.

Now it's got a four-hour battery life and I don't even know what to do with that

>Original battery is more than two times the price of the computer itself.
Wew to the lad.

Future medicalstudent. Need for 4 years. $500 is my budget, what do you recommend

Take an X220 or a T420 depending on your size preference.
You have enough money to buy two of them, so even if it breaks down after two years (which is highly unlikely), you can get a new one.

Yes. Sorry.

IMO get either a used X230 or X250.

Better performance than the xx20 models, you lose out on the better keyboard, but the chiclet keyboard is about the best chiclet you'll find. X-series for portability, since you'll want to take it to class.

Oh, then in that case, no problem I think.
I don't remember the limits for that kind of VGA, but DisplayPort is not an issue for a 1600p, the limit for DP 1.2 is 2160p.

Are they quick? Fast? Portable?

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
The X220 is 12", so if you want portability it's the best.
With an SSD and an i5, you won't need more to study.

But if you're going to medschool, know that you will be the only non-faggot with a Mac paid by daddy.