How much time should I spend programming a day if I wanted to be pretty/really good in, say, a year or less...

How much time should I spend programming a day if I wanted to be pretty/really good in, say, a year or less? By that I mean good enough to land a job somewhere and be somewhat comfortable. Also, how am I suppose to decide what to learn and branch out too? Just go with whatever sparks my interest? How do I know I'm making good progress? And how easy is to relocate? Both domestic and intentionally

24/7. I've been doing it since I was a teenager, took multiple classes in high school, and I have to program my computer science classes & electives. Still don't think I'm that good.

About 27 hours a day should do it. See norvig.com/21-days.html

If you want to be pretty, you should spend more time in the gym and less on the computer.

>How much time should I spend programming a day if I wanted to be pretty
Don't

>3DPD

HAHAHAHA YOU GUYS ARE FUCKING HILARIOUS XD

Kill yourselves

A lot, it should be your main hobby - as in spend all your free time programming

Find a project that you are passionate about, and you won't have to think about whether you're spending enough time programming or not.

What if my passion is to make a website that directly competes with chaturbate, thus providing me an endless cash flow and fap material?

Go for it. Start working on it right now

You'll probably do better learning some mathematics and working on your problem solving skills.

Programming languages require only some rote memorization to start using; but to use them effectively you'll need to understand what you are trying to do with them.

stop posting roasties soyboy

Not a lot. What you should do is study for specific certificates and qualifications instead.
Your general knowledge doesn't matter that much as long as you can pass exams.

Reading also helps. Learning theory helps depending on what language you are.
If you in C, you will have to know much better how does a computer work than in, for example, java.

any good books you'd recommend? i'm learning c++

>but to use them effectively you'll need to understand what you are trying to do with them.
Which in the real world is so far removed from mathematics as to be completely irrelevant most of the time.

Then why is there so much math in every CS program?

bump

Serious question here, but are bootcamps worth investing in?

at what point do you get good at programming?
I've been doing it for a while but every time it just seems like I'm just googling the solution whenever i hit a snag

I started programming when I was 5. I wouldn't consider myself to have been reasonably good until I was somewhere between 20-25. That being said, the start is probably a lot easier when you're already an adult, but nevertheless.

do you know what to start off with?

This is what programmers do

The argument is usually that it's the same kind of thinking, so that learning mathematics teaches you the same kind of basics that you need for programming. Which is true, but you can also learn those basics by, simply, programming, so it's not really a terribly good argument.

That being said, some basic logic and discrete maths are actually useful in practice, not just in theory. Sometimes you actually do have a real need to do complexity analysis, too, in which case calculus can be useful. The ones who say you don't are web front-end code monkeys.

2 hours writing code, 8 hours reading code.

So what if I'm just a layman who'd like to be a bit more aware of what all the fancy numbers I see around here mean?
Would the introductory bits of all those resources people recommend on this board work?

This

You just have to get better at googling and eventually asking yourself if nobody has asked the question before.

Definitely not

Even if I did know how to BUILD the website itself, I have no clue how that shit works at all. I don't understand how the payments work, how the girls GET paid, I mean are the girls technically your employees or self employed? How are you suppose to verify their age? How do you even find girls and get them to sign up? It's not the website part, I'm sure I could figure it out once I'm more savvy, it's the legal/financial aspect that confuses me. That said I do want to make one for the endless cash flow and fap material

No, it literally is what bad programmers do. It's fine, of course, to google examples or documentation in order to understand the actual solution, but copy-pasting from stackoverflow is not what good programmers do.

you can crank out code all day for a year but if it isn't quality practice then you're fucked. I'd say spend 3 hours coding and 2 hours reading and trying to understand good code.

Finding a SOLUTION doesn't mean copy-pasting code from stackoverflow

Finding a solution also does not necessarily involve googling at all, however.

i didn't say a fucking thing about copy-pasting.

Ugly

not gonna happen

Those are some thick ass eyebrows. For your question I think this is pretty much it. It's a lot of work.

thick eyebrows are cute

technology is always changing, you have to be on top of it all. what was relevant a year ago is already forgotten today.

such as?

I don't remember.

What I'm trying to understand though, is what dp employers mean when they say they want someone who has "proficiency" in any given language. How would you know you're at that point?

What qualifies as good code? And as far as reading code goes, are you suppose to read any code or stuff that's on your level of understanding

>How would you know you're at that point?
I assume this would be what a degree or certification would be useful for but, if you didn't go down that road, I assume you would need some kind of portfolio.

look at anything to do with the web

Those eyebrows

Fuck all that passion shit. If you want a job look up around your area the position you want.
Read the experienced required and qualifications. Start with those.
As for how much time? It's never enough. You are never good. I've spent the majority of the past 3 days learning and applying front end stuff on the go. If I want a job I'd have to spend way more time getting into the back end stuff which is just as important. As far as my programming skills in general they suck balls. If you ask me to program something using a hash map I'm clueless which is why I'm still unemployed. There is never enough time to learn what you need.

when you can solve random questions from cracking the coding interview by heart using that specific language

>What qualifies as good code?
A good code is where at least people on your profession can understand it and they know what it does.

About c++ there's infinite stuff on the internet, you should stick to those.
About learning how computers work (aka, architecture and operating systems), you can read stuff from stallings and silberschatz.
But probably I didn't mention it before, depends on your focus, both guys talk about low-level stuff.

>How much time should I spend programming a day if I wanted to be pretty/really good in, say, a year or less?
Everyday for around 5 or 6 hours if you're a complete beginner. You have so many resources like The Odin Project, MITs computer science lectures, Sup Forums, but what do you want to do? You can't aimlessly say "I want to know computer science" without having a project you want to do or work in a specific field. Research what you want and then engage with the specific resources/communities and work your ass off if you actually want a job in a year.

What should I learn/start with if I want to make a comic reader?

So is it about finding the kind of job you'd want to do, or what you'd actually want to spend your time doing project wise, or is it both?

You don't have to spend all day program, just be smart about it.

Don't waste your time reading tutorials. Just pick a project and start it. Read API manuals. Keep adding on to your projects because the ability to manage/organize/navigate through large projects is probably the most underrated skill you can learn. Learn git and how to split your work into commits. Then once you're proficient enough for some simple projects on GitHub and add new features.

*fork some simple projects on GitHub. Educational shit like Tetris games.