Cubesat

hey Sup Forums, why haven't you built a satellite yet?

I am actually working on one right night. Hopefully I can test out a new EPS for it during the next year.

How long do you think it will last in space?
What have you done to make the hardware survive cosmic radiation?

my slingshot is too small

For a couple of years. It just needs to last a few months up there to finish whatever mission we decide on. After that it's just neat to be able to communicate with it.

>why haven't you built a satellite yet?
?
why would I do that?

but i did you dumb nigger

Trying to install gentoo on it.

Let's see
>It's needs to get to space and getting a rocket launch isn't cheap
>hard to communicate, may only get a chance or two of contact each day for a few minutes
>If piggy backing off a ISS Resupply mission or similar you get only a few weeks of orbit time
It's not exactly a recreational activity you can just go out and do so don't berate us too hard for not doing one

for fun and profit. Or research.
that just sounds like a bunch of excuses.

because I have no idea what I would do with it.

adding to this mess

been there done that got me a job out of college

Actually I've been brainstorming one. That said...I expect I'd have to spend $15k min to develop one that can actually qualify...tho likely double that to be realistic.

I've been looking at a simple sat that can do IR geo observations with foldout solar cells.

The closest a common man can do to reach space from a home made device for cheap are special made high altitude balloons with attached cheap disposable camera for real time view of where your balloon is.

currently in a university group making a bid to put a 6U cubesat on the next SLS launch
what i've learned from this project is that i don't wish to work for the government anymore

You'd be surprised how cheap they are to make. If you do it all from scratch like we did and don't use the COTS bullshit like Pumpkin, you can get the cost per unit down to about $3k.

Could you use high altitude balloons to get you to the edge of the atmosphere then use model rockets of a homemade rocket to launch the rest of the way into orbit? Would the rocket have to be too large to be able to get into orbit from balloon height?

+cost of development, testing, etc. hardware and flashing software is the cheapest part

Not stable enough to do that. Your rocket will most likely plummet to the earth.

I'm building one with my uni group

>3k
lol, vodafone already makes them for $800, each. they're going to use them to provide 5G coverage

Getting to orbital altitude is easy.
Getting to orbital speed is the part that uses up most of your fuel.

The rocket would also still likely be far bigger and heavier than the world record high-altitude balloon payload.

Isn't that very illegal and fuck up with all the space junk we have up there

Too poor

Though If I did, I'd try and have it stay up there as long as possible and also attach a camera to it that's good enough to see some detail...

If it worked, an EM drive would be useful.

>Isn't that very illegal
Who's going to fine you for putting something in space? the space gov?