/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

taggdigital.com/home/productdetail/soundgear-500
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>he buys headphones without third party measurements

What's /hpg/ trendy choice for xmas?

After three years, my dear ATH-M20's right channel died. Should I just get another one or could I do better for $40-50?

The long version:
>Budget
>Source
My motherboard. Nothing fancy.
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Either is acceptable
>Comfort level
Unless it's just going to make me want to die, I can sacrifice comfort for better sound.
>Sound signature
A little warm/bassy
>Past headphones
The only pair of note that I've owned is the ATH-M20s

Budget: ~200$, but its flexable
Source: Phone and PC
Type: Full sized, closed
Comfort: I want them to be comfortable enough to use for hours on end

HD 579 is pretty much the FOTM, if that's what you mean?

What are the second best headphones behind the HD600?

HD579

EL-8 Titanium

>
>>Grado anything
>Terrible.

Not exactly... i own this.. its quite good

Akai Project 50X with Lyxpro has 30 pads or the Somic MM185/Status Audio CB-1

ISK HP2010 if you want open warm/bassy headphones for around that price.

breasts don't work like that OP

I meant headphones. Yeah, I hear they make good cartridges.

>what is a bra

Did you even read the infographic?

yeah before audiophiles found a corner on the internet Grado sr80's were (suspiciously) really well received in all the hi-fi rags

i remember reading about them in the late 90's lusting for them, i went to my local high end shoppe and had a listen to the sr80s and was seriously underwhelmed...

someone wanna redpill me on grados ? its basicaly some 1980's design out of a new york garage ? have they got anything new ?

how do you clean the headband and earpads on the hd600. swear mine has lice.

dip them in room temp water that has a tiny bit of soap and fabric softener and get them a scrub by hand then let them dry out

Ordered the HD650 today, how'd I do?

you did great ! hope you enjoy them

grado labs started out making turntable cartridges and yes they were/still are quite good at all price points. Lots of vinyl lovers swear by them. The headphone production started in the early 90s. The design has had two very minor revisions since then, it's essentially the same headphone as it was in 1990. They are basically upper midrange and treble cannons and appeal to older folks (the same ones more likely to buy their cartridges) who enjoy brighter sound signatures because bass can trigger their tinnitus. The grados are very nice people and they still handcraft all of their stuff in Brooklyn, but they are particularly stubborn about the design. That being said, they've had some serious commercial success since the 1980s and even in recent times. JetBlue partnered with them in 2015 and they've been selling more headphones than ever before even after John Grado passed away a year ago.

I would like to mention that at the sr80e price of $60-80 the build quality is quite good. That still doesnt change the fact that they are literally bright as fuck though and their higher end offerings don't offer much better performance

I hope you know how they sound.

Creative Aurvana Live

Dt770 for max comfy and v-shaped
Ath-msr7 for decent comfy, max build quality and bright neutral

What about DT150?

I never owned any proper headphones, but I'll be getting MDR-V6 this Christmas.

How are they as first headphones?

How comfy is decent comfy? Like, will my ears get sore after a few hours?

Budget: ~200$, flexible
Source: Desktop and Phone
Type: Open, full sized
Comfort: Comfortable enough to use for hours at a time

HD6XX. It is very comfortable once you adjust the clamp to your liking. Brand new, it can be kinda tight on the sides of the head if you aren't a brainlet. I could wear my HD650 pretty much all day if I wanted to.

HD579

alright, I bought a stax srs-001 in ear for $150. how much did I fuck up /hpg/? I'm also fucking wasted desu senpai

I WANT TO FUCK HER FOOT PUSSY

Do you think OP drew the image

I'm confused. Is the HD6xx just a differently branded HD600?

lmao ur fukin dum

It has the same sound and same build quality as the HD650. It's just a different color and has a shorter cable. It's a great deal if you don't mind having to wait quite a long time for it to ship out to you.

How different are the K7xx to the K712?

Recolored HD650.

is the hifiman he-560 a good buy at $500?

That's a pretty crazy deal. Don't you need an amp for HD650s though? I don't have one, and I'm not really looking to get one right now.

Not really. It can help if your current source is really bad but it's not hard to leave without an amp until you can get one, if you want.

Chifiman is never a good buy.

K7XX are more like K702 I think.

Pretty similar, the K7XX are just Q701s with K712 pads and the pads basically make all the difference between the two models.
>is the hifiman he-560 a good buy at $500?
No they're basically an HE-400i 'wood edition'.

How are the DT770s compared to the Custom Studios?

Vastly inferior.

Studios look better (especially step 2)

Sorry wrong image

Stop lurking /ic/, I beg you.

they all look pretty damn awful

lol

pls bide with me cuz i'm a brainlet and don't know much about electronics in general and headphones in particular
Are the number of drivers in in-ear headphones important to the sound quality?
i needed some really cheap earphones, and had decided on Audio technica sonic fuel ath ckx7, when i saw a local Pajeet brand earphones for the same price, but dual driver.
taggdigital.com/home/productdetail/soundgear-500
does the presence of a second driver increase the sound quality significantly or am i better off buying from a reputed brand?

Sorry, I fell asleep. What broke on my AD900X, other than the plug - but that happens to me every time - was apparently one of the drivers! Stopped working seemingly overnight, to this day I don't really know why.

Not sure if the HD 600 is a good replacement. Will have to get to try them out somehow first.

Idol trash approves of OP.
What's your setup like, user?

HD579, DT880.
>flexible
ffs, HD600.

how are you Idol fag? I was drunk af and won an auction on a rare stax in ear for a decent price best drunk purchase ever

What's the comfort like on the HD600? I've heard mixed opinions.

I'm happy the worst case scenario was avoided re: Catalan elections yesterday. With more for independence votes than ever before \o/
I'm also late to work, where I have a meeting right away, so I'll get going now.
Good enough for autistic me, meaning very good.

Right. That makes me more comfortable, but I'm still not willing to pay $300 without a chance to test them. Will have to look/ask around.

Fostex TH-X000 hooked up to my old Panny SA-XR45.

Rate my shitty home made universal IEM

clip your fingernails you degenerate

Any comparison with the AD1000X? Particularly interested in sound and build quality.

Serious question, am I seriously fucked if I expect to get a decent pair of headphones with a mic attached?

Am I just going to have to put up with another cord running up to my head or get a desk mic?

bump
pls help me out

I've had these Sennheiser HD 598's for about 3 years and I've never really liked them that much. Not really a fan of the openness. Would swapping to the 600 ohm dt880 be a big difference? Or should I just got with the dt770 pro?

Just got the M30x today. I like the sound, but they aren't especially comfortable. Is it really worth coughing up almost 50 bucks for velour pads?

Just ordered some Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros as a christmas present to myself. Every month after I get paid I hover over the buy button and never click it. Today I did.
This will be my first pair of "proper" headphones, as until now I've been using shitty gaymen headsets and chink bluetooth headphones.
The bluetooth headphones will still have a place in my life, as I wouldn't take these new ones out.
I am hype.
and they're coming tomorrow (thx amazon)

I'm sure I see a cable mod talked about regarding those headphones, as in, making the cable removable. Did I imagine this?

I have never tried it, but I know plenty of people mentioned the ModMic - it's a mic which you attach to your headphones.

I would agree with this user I researched mod mics a lot before just saying fuck it and buying a (relatively cheap) studio mic and mount, and they sounded very good for how small they are. They're a lot better than the average headset mic.

Recconend me speakers my budget is 4k

Get a pair of headphones and run them at a really high volume.

o shit

Pajeet my son, you have a choice. Poo covered Bharat products or well-made European and Nipponese products?

Should I spend like $320 on some DT880's and an amp

or should I just kill myself?

not that guy but I unironically do that very often

So I spent like 6 hours reading reviews and watching review videos on the HD 579 and the AD700x. All signs were pointing to the 700x being better for what I want to do (gaming) but at the last second a deal came up for the 579 where I could get it both cheaper and with rush delivery to have it here by the 23rd (700x would have gotten here by Jan 2nd) so I said fuck it and bought the 579.

I already have buyers remorse. Every review praised the sound stage of the 700x and said how great it is for gaming. Did I fuck up? Are the 579 still solid or is the 700x just blatantly superior?

O SHIT

They're both phenomenal headphones. You'll be happy either way.

why not both?
>did I fuck up?
always

>why not both

good idea. Can't wait, it'll all be over soon.

:D

Anyone knows how K612 compares with HD600?

dear christ those are expensive for what they are, what is this shit

Thanks user. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

welcome to the hobby friendo

Not favorably.

What they are is a very good quality mic. Also somewhat of a niche product because most people are content with any old gaymen headset.

Have you tried both?

Lol you could get a desktop mic of equal quality for half of that. Not to mention an extra cable coming from your cans? Fuck that!

Both have exaggerated (i.e. bigger than it should be) soundstage, so that shouldn't be a worry point.
Overall sound, ad700 are deeply flawed (absolutely no bass), whereas hd579 are well balanced, so I believe you did well.

fuck this I'm just going to hire a guy to hold a giant boom mic above me

Well I agree, hence why I don't own one. But you asked..

I wasn't that guy. I was just agreeing that it was expensive.

What does it mean to have a bigger soundstage than it should? Does this mean the soundstage it has is lower quality than one that is less exaggerated?

Also, which ones are you looking at? I'm looking at the modmic 5 on amazon for £40. I paid £60 for my Behringer C-3 and £80 for the interface to plug it into.
I wouldn't say £40 is a bad deal if that's the kind of thing you're after.

Exaggerating soundstage is a type of "coloring" where headphones make it seem like everything comes from far away.
Grados are notorious for that. ad700 are quite exaggerated too. HD500 family do it a little, but not to that degree.

Interesting. Thanks for clarifying that. I'm feeling excited for my 579 to arrive I think I was worrying too much.

It's just a tiny microphone with god damn magnet attached to it. If there was any competition for what they're selling they'd have to sell it for like $10.

But I can't even find a simple stand alone mic like that, literally the next best option I can find is buying some $20 gaming headset with a detachable mic, then getting an 3.5mm extension cord for a couple bucks and zip tying it to my headset. That's their fucking competition.

I wanna lick her feet.