Why don't we have more ARM laptops and desktops?

Why don't we have more ARM laptops and desktops?

Other urls found in this thread:

cavium.com/product-thunderx-arm-processors.html
lwn.net/Articles/738225/
youtu.be/N7Fy9FN81Go?t=48
youtu.be/QT5TXkBpzCo?t=3
youtube.com/watch?v=A_GlGglbu1U
youtu.be/A_GlGglbu1U
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because proprietary programs haven't been ported yet.

That's literally the only reason. Chromebooks work great as ARM laptops after you reflash them and get rid of ChromeOS, and there's a 2.5GHz 48-core CPU made by Cavium for high-end stuff.

Peoples dependence on proprietary software is literally the only issue.
cavium.com/product-thunderx-arm-processors.html

it's coming, friend

ARM is proprietary clusterfuck piece of shit. It will always be slower than x86.

Oh and on top of what I said here, another issue is that ARM hasn't opened up the Mali driver (GPU used on a lot of ARM stuff including chromebooks)
There is literally one guy standing between us and that.
lwn.net/Articles/738225/

indeed.

they're shit and nobody wants one but retards who think the best way out of a "botnet" is a proprietary SoC

And the fact that high-end ARM chips are just specialized corespam, and there's zero industry interest in spending billions of dollars fixing a problem that doesn't exist for normal people.

Just install Linux on a android device

x86 is worse

Haha no

Because Intel x86-64 processors are better.

Fucking Mali man.
And what an idiot
>tfw you don't want your employer to succeed in getting a bigger share of the CPU market

Let me just run phot- uhh I mean let's play Red Al- UHH I will run Solidw--- DAMMIT

proprietary garbage

I have no idea wtf are u talking about

ARM cannot into x86 and never will, it's shit.

> Sup Forumsermin is the reason technology does not move forward.
At least with ARM you can buy the license to use the pattents and make a CPU which defeats the problem everyone has with the x86 market. I myself would personally prefer risc-v but it is too young and is only sold by a few companies.

Why do you need one when you have this?

"everyone" as in who, who would need to manufacture an entire CPU? You think you as a party of one, will defeat a corporation's league of hired researchers?

Software needs to be ported in order to work on other platforms. Also games that use 100% of your CPU and GPU are unoptimised pretty trash that should be thrown out kid.

I was talking about your shitty argument.
I have no idea what are all those shitty software

So, why hasn't anyone ported any of these games, despite the "free money" to be had? Because ARM can't do it, it's crap. Name one fucking game on ARM-anything that can match Starcraft.

Starcraft is shit

Yes you can run games on arm .Just because Nintendo chose to use the lowest end arm cpu they could find to keep the prices low on their system(and btw nintendo makes good games without much power draw) does not mean all arm CPUs are the same.
This CPU for example is pretty much a beast. But because the desktop market is filled with idiots and the only market that uses arm is high end servers ,embedded and phones phones we cannot progress technology further.

Okay, let's try something comparable, that ARM should be able to do, but hasn't (and never will):

Photoshop: Anything, if you are going to attempt to tell me that any of the alternatives that have been created for cellphones and tablets can match this, you are fucking delusional.

Solidworks - Or any professional 3D work for that matter.

Anything similar to Half-Life 1 or Deus-Ex, which will never happen.

Anything similar to Red Alert 2, let alone Tiberian Sun or C&C Generals.

Yeah okay, let's see that PUBG port that can barely run on the Xbox One X.

It's a fucking waste of time.

>Anything similar to Red Alert 2
You can run RA2 on ARM.

>solidworks is Sup Forums
wew

youtu.be/N7Fy9FN81Go?t=48

Yeah, looks real fucking promising at 10 FPS.

You'd get shitty FPS if you use a shitty device like Galaxy S7

No you won't, it's fucking universal you fucking idiot. youtu.be/QT5TXkBpzCo?t=3

>Nexus5
An even worse device than S7

youtube.com/watch?v=A_GlGglbu1U

Microsoft wants to kill x86 and realised that the only way to do it is to make sure that no one notices. So now we have windows on arm emulating x86 and even though i hate microsoft i think it works pretty well.
Western digital aims to ship a billion risc-v cores with their HDDs becaus the do not want to pay for the arm license anymore.
Apple wants to unite its ecosystem.(good luck with that faggots)
Si-five and lowrisc developrisc-v sbcs
China wants arm CPUs for their super computers because they do not want intel backdoors and heat.
Snapdragon Arm cpus are the most famous on phones
Samsung has pretty powerful ARM CPUs that i am pretty sure they want to use in their laptops.
Nvidia wants to use risc-v on their next GPUs
AMD wants to use risc-v or arm because using x86 will probably end up with lisa su in jail because their deal with intel about suing one another wont last forever.
Google apparently wants to use risc-v for whatever satanic plot they have this week.

A market is much much healithier when it is not a duopoly with one of the two companies about to collaplapse. This is why we need alternatives, to abort ship once intel becomes a monopoly and also lazy as fuck.

>Samsung has pretty powerful ARM CPUs that i am pretty sure they want to use in their laptops.
They're already pushing for it with their DeX station.
I believe in 5-8 years, Samsung vision will be reality.

The only reason the game runs like shit is because it is hot unoptimised normalfag bait garbage.
There are games that look millions of times better yet run great. This means that the development team behind it is a bunch of idiots.
Also if you think that shifest of a game works great on pc YOU ARE RETARDED.
There is absolutely no other fucking reason why the game cannot run well on xbox one x other than the devs' incompetence at optimisation and making a good game.

Windows on SD835 have been shown to run full Photoshop. That's more than enough to run old games.

user half the title was missing for all i know it could be some obscure game called Solidwrath or some shit.

>So now we have windows on arm emulating x86 and even though i hate microsoft i think it works pretty well.

IN WHAT WAY, there are NO unported programs that run properly.

youtu.be/A_GlGglbu1U
This old but looks good to me.

Why would we switch to ARM instead of POWER? ARM has the same problems as x86 in terms of security.

He's not wrong, though. Do you have any idea how much of our lives are built with applications like Solidworks alone?

It's literally the most common parametric drafting software in the world, dude.

not that much, most of the things I use are from good ol days

You're thinking small. Everything from the refrigerator in your kitchen, the trucks and trains used to carry produce from the farms where food is collected with enormous automated harvesters... The keyboard you're typing on right now, the firearms your local PD use, the scooter your grandma uses to get around, every fucking store fixture at the local Walmart... The only people who don't use Solidworks or some other parametric software are just clinging to AutoCAD instead and that's already a farcry from hand drafting.

Because they're just too slow. We have wanbgblows 10 ARM laptops with good battery life but real world performance is absolutely gloomy. Sure it works for light web browsing and writing emails buy we already have smartphones for that.

Because ARM cpus suck for graphics. ARM cpus only have integer ALUs. They have no floating point ALUs built in. ARM processors were originally targeted to niche markets like embedded systems that need no or little graphics support.

A long time ago x86 processors were the same. To get floating point ALUs you have to purchase a "math co-processor" chip. Then Intel just started combining the floating-point math co-processor into their CPUs.

What's stopping ARM from doing the same?

who is this burger demon?

I forget the name, but it's from Re Zero.

>t. 30apm manlet