The feeling of being a colossal faggot?

tfw still no good rom for S8

what's that phone?

is that a galaxy nexus?

is that a famas?

Galaxy lagxus
Ya

>postmarketOS (pmOS), is a touch-optimized, pre-configured Alpine Linux
>The project is at very early stages of development and is not usable for most users yet.
This sounds as much fun as taking 4 xanax bars followed by a cyanide capsule
Why do you faggots waste your time on this shit?

dumb question
obviously for autistic shitposting on Sup Forums

And what would stop them from knowing that feeling?

>want to root phone
>Videos are just like, "open odin and flash the chainfire auto file for your phone"
>Follow them to the letter
>Doesn't work, phone just restarts and is the same as before
>Keep trying
>Eventually use a different CF file
>Phone fails to verify integrity on reboot
>Auto factory reset
>Phone is still weird afterwards, can't boot into recovery mode and trying to factory reset again doesn't work
>Am now downloading 2.2gb stock firmware file at 150kb/s to flash on phone to try and fix everything to how it was before, minus all my apps

I just wanted to fucking root this bitch. Why is it so hard?

because android a shit linux. gotta have dat gnu

what phone
s5?

Not him but I can almost guarantee it's a Verizon GS5. I've tried to root it three fucking times myself to no avail.

A5 2017. I have no idea what went wrong. I picked the CF file that matched my phone specs in every way on the new CF site. After 3 attempts, my phone started lagging, so I figured I'd try the file on the old site before doing a factory reset. That's when the fun started.

The one thing I didn't try was going into recovery mode while I still could to see if I had to do something manually to make the CF file install.

spbp

>Verizon

If I recall correctly, Verizon and other american phone companies always lock their bootloaders. That's why you can't root american S7s, dispite Samsung supposedly never locking their phones. I use an international A5 2017, and unlocking them is supposed to be as simple as enabling OEM Unlock in Settings.

>Verizon and other american phone companies always lock their bootloaders.
Yeah I had read that when I was rooting. I'm just going to instead order an unlocked phone as my next one.

>gnex
>1.5 hours of battery life without gapps, 45 mins on that os
>the speaker hump
>the shitty display that has the window screen effect and burn in.
>shitty cell radios.
>Shit cpu and gpu.
I still miss using that phone as a daily driver, because of all the dev support.

download twrp for your phone model, flash it as recovery. copy supersu to SD, reboot in recovery, flash zip, reboot and you're done senpai

stops watch yt and ask to xda pajets you fucking scum

A loading screen?

I'm definitely, 100% going to go down that route if I ever try to root again and my phone still works after I flash the stock firmware. I'm so done with Chainfire. I'm completely oblivious to twrp and a noob at doing things in recovery mode. This is going to be one hell of a learning process for me.

chainfire is superSU. you just need to do it properly and not bitch out on steps. you need a real recovery solution before attempting to root anything.

flash twrp then use chainfire-supersu zip.

The feeling of holding a cellphone? I do that every day.

When flashing twrp to a Samsung device, you must flash it to the device, then load recovery, WITHOUT RESTARTING.
If you restart after flashing any recovery, the phone will just reflash to stock recovery, somehow. It's only after the recovery is launched that it sticks.

I'm guessing that is your issue?

>not using magisk master race
Pleb

You may be on to something with regards to loading recovery, but I was using CF auto root. The videos said you just flash it and the phone reboots automatically. No mention of twrp at all. I thought that was a separate method.

I did get an idea of what you're saying, though. I disabled auto reboot in odin when I flashed the file on my 3rd attempt. All that happened then was the phone staying in download mode. How was I supposed to go straight from there to recovery mode?

you can disable that in developer options Android 7+

No option for that for my model, apparently. It was either CF, or the twrp thing that another user mentioned. CF looked more simple, so I went with it first. I made the wrong choice, evidently.

To root any phone you need first a custom recovery.

It's really easy user, let me give you the normie installation guide:
- install custom recovery.
- download latest version of superSU in your phone
- install it via custom recovery's option to install
????
- you have rooted your phone

> Tfw all linux arm desktop applications run on your phone
Which UI will you use OP?

AFAIK all root options give 0 fucks about your phone model.

>tfw still no good rom for S8
Batman rom 1.5 it's OK.

I'm the user that said to use TWRP. the basis for any root is a strong recovery option.

when you install TWRP you can choose to use superSU or Magisk. the later can be installed using Xposed framework

>captcha dead pedidos

I'm slowly becoming more aware of the method you speak of. The reason I went with CF was because it supposedly just gives you root access on your stock OS. The videos said you just flash it via the Odin program via a connected computer and that's it. I don't completely understand what a custom recovery is at this point.

Let me get this straight on what I actually need to do.

>Flash custom recovery (i assume you mean this "twrp" thing) via computer
>Somehow boot into recovery mode straight after, no normal reboot
>Dick around in recovery mode until you find an option to install what you just flashed
>Flash it
>Download super SU from google play or something
>Done

Is that it?

I'm going to loose my stock OS from doing this, aren't I? All the pre-installed apps that came with it, too?

no. TWRP just replaces your recovery partition on your phone. it removes nothing but that.

>tfw custom ROM is so fast you have to slow down the animations to keep up with it
You'll never know this feel.

Close, in my phpne, to load into recovery mode, you load into your bootloader (turn off the phone, then vol down + power buttons) and select the 'recovery mode' option, which is how I enter into the recovery in my phone.

That being said, search for any video titled "install twrp on ".

Once you have the recovery part done, download superSU's .zip from their webpage and put it anywhere on your phone. Then on twrp's menu, there's a button named "install" which will let you find the .zip in your files.

Alternatively if you want magisk instead of superSU (for example, if you have snapchat), go to their page and follow the instructions to install it.

> Linux on a phone
> supports many devices.
> not locked in a single UI
> fucking weston is available and luna OS UI is being tested.
> desktop linux applications.
> No forced flatshit
> No google
> No java
> runs great even on an old n900
Gee user IDK

SuperSU shouldn't be on google play. You'd download it off of XDA Developers, copy it into your phone, and then flash it from TWRP. Also, don't use SuperSU, even though that guy just told you to. It's proprietary hot garbage. PHH's Superuser is what you want.

>PHH
spotted the pokemon go faggot

I just purchased a Pixel 2 from Verizon and was shocked to find I could pop my old Sprint SIM in and use it--neither the bootloader nor anything else seem to be locked. I know that's one of the whole google phone "things" but still anticipated a carrier lock-in at the very least.

I see. On the A5, you can either boot into download mode with home+power+vol down, or into recovery with home+power+vol up. I keep hearing that rooting our phone for the first time wipes the data. Did that happen with you? It's not like it matters for me at this point, since I'm already going to be starting from stock.

I've been using PHH's Superuser since before Pokemon Go was a thing. It's the default superuser application that comes with CM/Lineage OS

ok, so spotted the hipster faggot? does that make you feel better?

i don't even know what superuser and pokémon go have in common

Never heard of that. In fact, my os remained identical both after installing twrp and rooting. But if you are still unsure, twrp has a backup option in which you can backup your current os and if you want, your personal data too.
Of course if you install another os your data will be erased.
Forgot to mention, if you are going to install a custom rom and expect to keep it updated, you have to reinstall supersu every time you install an update.

the only thing I've ever seen wipe data is changing your CSC

Also, you have other backup applications, such as titanium backup

give me a microUSB so i can do some damage

It was related to CF. It had something to do with whether your phone runs things encrypted or not. If it's encrypted, CF would wipe everything and do a factory reset before installing. I guess won't be worrying about that with the twrp method.

Titanium backup require that you have root to begin with. I was concerned with preexisting data at the time of rooting. Not that it matters anymore. My important contacts were saved on my sim card. The only thing possibly important that I may have lost was my paypal number. I think I just need that for checking my balance anyway. Can do that online.

You won't know if the bootloader is locked or not until you check it.

Since you start from scratch, I guess no, but I would research for that anyways just in case.

My bad, I've always installed it once I got everything set up on the custom rom hehe.

Pretty sure that's wrong advice that will lead to bricked phones.

he's referring to systemless roots i think

Never seen any "root only works with these phone models" on the chainfire site.

Of course though, I assume user will do minimal research of someone who could succesfully root their same phone model.

What devices is this compatible with? How does it compare to other mobile distros?

Then why to they even bother mentioning the build numbers and providing separate files for each one?

systemless root is just that, they aren't specific to devices. chainfire superSU used to be device specific for the CF-autoroot because it encapsulated it's own recovery to flash the root. now using superSU requires you to have a recovery solution such as TWRP which is model specific to function

Where do I check that user?

he is referring to CF-autoroot. choose latest, it works on everything

t. not a brainlet

>check the hour
I'm just trying to find a way to sleep rn

is this shit even usable? what can you do with it?

Lineage is hipster shit? What kind of garbage ROMs are you using?

>Lineage
I was referring to
>since before Pokemon Go was a thing

I don't think I want to know that feeling

Snapdragon-based S8 has locked bootloader. You really can't do shit with it.

I did do that. Searched up their CF guide for my phone and everything. It didn't help much.

>read their guides and followed what they said to do if the phone doesn't get root after flashing the file and rebooting
>"disable auto reboot in odin and boot into recovery mode".
>phone was stuck in download mode after flashing
>had to do the manual reset (by holding down all the buttons)
>Phone automatically did a normal reboot
>Turn it off and boot phone into recovery
>Screen says it's installing a file, then gives "no command" error
>Am taken to recovery menu
>Nothing makes sense
>Pajeets said nothing about what to do here
>Try the reboot phone option
>Just brings me to recovery mode again
>Try the reboot into bootloader option
>Phone just restarts to normal mode

If there was a "Press this option to finish the root process", it sure wasn't jumping out at me. The answer probably was somewhere in the recovery mode menu, though. It's the only thing I didn't try thoroughly before the phone got reset.

Fucking lmao
dead in the water

it wont ever work without a recovery option like TWRP

stop trusting pajeets

so people who did things before pokémon go are hipsters?
i don't understand what you're getting at

>I did X before Y
that is the hipster mentality
embrace it, you're a soyboy now

i'm a what now?
i don't see how using X before Y, to demonstrate to someone that one didn't use X because of Y is an indication of being a hipster

I got my files here, after going to the chainfire site and seeing the message that this was the new site.

desktop.firmware.mobi/

You type in your model until you get the one you want, then when you submit, there's a bunch of different files based on build numbers. I simply chose the one that matched my phone.

just embrace it. don't fight it.

how about you embrace my dick, faggot?

Arent those phones basically condemned to shit the bed early because android didnt implement trim back then or something about their emmcs being absolute shit hence the lagxus name?

I am the bull now sweetie

I hope you loved your Samsung experience and won't repeat this mistake later.

I see. Nonetheless I've never done it that way, so I cannot help you to root that way.

I'm pretty sure I would have somehow screwed things up even on the most root friendly phone. This is my first time trying it.

Probably you should have just started by watching a youtube video showing you a step by steo guide

I did. The first one I found for the A5 was in Indonesian, and there were no others after that. I resorted to using S7 rooting videos in combination with written guides for the a5 to get an idea of what I should do. The guides and videos were saying the same thing, so I thought I was on the right track. Considering how things went, I've either been screwed by luck, or I just did the wrong thing.

TWRP method is up next. I'll try it in a few days, after I reinstall my stock firmware tonight. I seriously hope I don't fuck that one up.

Best of lucks user.
Remember that to install twrp you must have an unlocked bootloader.
The good part is, after installing twrp, there's little you can do to fuck up root installation.
Goodbye, I'm going to sleep, surely this thread will 404 for tomorrow.

On most phones you install twrp first, then whatever you want from twrp.

Thanks for your help. I have wondered whether my bootloader was locked or not. It shouldn't be. I have the right phone model. I bought an "unlocked" version that was not carrier specific. I don't live in America, but I can't be sure. I really wish there was a way to check it without 3rd party apps that require CMD commands. I could never get those to work. Anyway, my stock firmware file has finished downloading now. If anything goes wrong, I will always have that as a panic button.

enjoy your brick

Tell me about how it runs, I'm busy porting it for my device.

former openmoko user here. w/o much web-sörchery: can i slap it on that gem?

SuperSU is apparently very normie and some apps check for it. Some other root managers, like magisk, have the ability to hide your root status from apps that check for it.

Basically, you want this if you intend on cheating your ass off in Pokemon Go.

i see, that makes sense
i use only f-droid myself, no gapps or proprietary applications, so i haven't run into anything which denies the use of root

Verizon and AT&T lock bootloaders, you have to unlock them to root.

Which OS is a bigger meme, PostmarketOS or Sailfish?

>installing postmarket OS Instead of using glorious Maemo on an N900
NO YOU

Any ROM exist yet for Samsung GS6 Exynos 7420? :(

>amerifags with the snapdragon version