How many MegaPixels does the eye have?

how many MegaPixels does the eye have?

Other urls found in this thread:

clarkvision.com/articles/eye-resolution.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoreceptor_cell#Humans
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

More than the number of brain cells you have, so... 2.

Doesn't work like that.
BUT the human eye is 576 megapixels, and only really about 7 megapixels matter.

The human eye can't perceive more than 24 pixels per second.

Each eye is 640x320 because God said this was the perfect resolution so in megapixels that's ~0.2 MP

This tbqh senpai

The retina is responsible for our sight processing, it's composed of astrocyte cells, I'm not an expert but I guess the capacity (or resolution) of the human eye depends on how many astrocyte cells are in the retina and how many photons a single astrocyte cell can process at once.
Still, this is not the same as pixels, but it can give you an idea of the capacity of our eyes. Once you find out this capacity, you can decide the optimal viewing distance from your screen, but I think it's kinda pointless because the eye doesn't process images in 16/9 or 4/3 but in circles with fading perimeter.

how are they different from pixels?
remember, pixels need not be square or in a fixed grid, the word simply means "picture element", and just refers to the smallest discrete element in a picture

Yeah that's a good dictionary definition, but when people say pixels they refer to the fiber-like thing that your screen is composed of.
A single pixel emanates many photons, depending on its size, that's why the distance is relevant, the closer you are the more photons you can get but that's now how screens are meant to be used, the ideal distance would be a distance far enough that you aren't distracted by the pixel grid on the screen.

>that's now
that's not*

Completely different things that aren't even fucking comparable, also ask

>aren't even fucking comparable

Wrong. The human eye can be compared to a digital camera just fine, as long as you're not autistically claiming they're exactly the same thing. At the very least, the eye definitely has discrete photoreceptor cells. Things get pretty convoluted when you start taking refresh rate into account, since in a camera everything is more or less in sync while in a biological system every cell is activating and resetting independently of one another. That's also why claims of "what FPS the eye sees" are dumb since you're more seeing a smear of motion than a frame by frame sequence.

Got one question, op asked about the resolution, but how does that resolution compares to actual size? And at what distance? And I guess pixel size should be small enough to not be able to distinguish it no matter the distance we view it.
Because if we take for example virtual reality googles, a 1080p/1440p (or probably a bit wider resolution, like 21:9) screen on a 7" tablet might be enough to cover everything we may be able to see, although pixels would be visible.

Doesn't work like that. The spatial resolution of an eye is measured in solid angle, not in the amount of pixels.
Solid angle of an object you perceive is determine as a function of the following variables: the distance from the object, its size, and the size of your eye (or, more correctly, pupil).
The spatial resolution of an average human being is around 1 angular second, which is 1/360 of a degree, which is pi*((1/360)^2) radians.
This is why the human eye is incapable to discern the difference between low- and high- resolution versions of the same image, if the image is sufficiently far or sufficiently small.

> angular second
Angular minute, of course, I fucked up. Just multiply the numbers in that post by 60 and it should be fine.

Of course, I dunno why I even bothered.

Humans cannot see more pixels than a retina macbook display.

It's the same resolution as the iPhone screen.
That's why they call it a retina screen.

about three fiddy

It's 512x342 and one bit deep.

It's analog.

It doesn't have any. It's biological you faggot.
But I read somewhere once that it's comparable to about 600 megapixel sensor, but you only focus on the center part, so it's actually much less than that.

Can I get uhhh visual DAC

about 576 MegaPixels

source: clarkvision.com/articles/eye-resolution.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoreceptor_cell#Humans
> The human retina has approximately 6 million cones and 120 million rods. [..] At the "center" of the retina (the point directly behind the lens) lies the fovea (or fovea centralis), which contains only cone cells; and is the region capable of producing the highest visual acuity or highest resolution. Across the rest of the retina, rods and cones are intermingled. No photoreceptors are found at the blind spot, the area where ganglion cell fibers are collected into the optic nerve and leave the eye.

I believe it was proven that the human brain can only perceive 220-240 (or was it 520-540?) images per second. So, the "eye" can see only that many fps. Although the eye sees more, the human brain will not process all frames. Similar to how a game can run at 200fps on a 60Hz monitor which limits the fps to 60.

approx. 8

>look
it up