/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/omm3QPMqyjc

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

No Buddhist prayer beads allowed.

Previous Thread: [unknown]

discovering this thread this year has taught me that vintage watches in working condition is a must have so here it is, copped yesterday for a little over $29. case back dates 1978

Where can I find vintage citizen automatics? Any particular models to look for?

Beautiful

Yeah I like that man. Also looking to expand my vintage collection so please don't go on ebay, yahoo japan or chrono24 at all until I've got one alright

On a side note the watermark in these pictures is a great resource for spotting aftermarket parts.
Also sweep-hand is another good site

i found this the hard way- i went and visited almost every watch shop i could drive to and 'asked' if they had any old stuff in the back, chanced on this piece a few months back at a small watchmaker across the border about a couple of hours away but passed on it, i didn't hesitate yesterday when i went back and was told he still had it, watchmaker opened up the case and showed me how clean it was. has been accurate since wearing it for more than 24 hours. i now get why you guys love these old working watches so much.

Nice bro. Sadly where I am in Holland the watch shops all focus on European stuff, pretty rare to find old jap pieces. You get better luck at flea markets but the risk runs high there

Watch itself is fine, case shape is particularly neat, but the excessive mismatched elements haphazardly placed all over the dial is awful looking.

Very nice. Let not Seiko take all the vintage chrono fame.

This seiko sbpg001 is proving to be superb. Real top tier watch. It's been actually quite a useful companion in my travels.

I've used every function it offers while going through HK and Vietnam.

Waiting for this vintage Orient 38mm diver I got for 50€. Planing on polishing the fuck of it and reluming the dial. The case and bezel have a really cool old school shape.

>order broken watch as a parts donor to save another watch
>turns out it's pretty nice and worth saving
Fuck. This Crystron has some extensive water damage, but only on the structural parts like the spacer ring. Every mechanical, electronic and cosmetic part is fine and it starts up. I think I'm bringing gold back in style, boyos.

I like it, it's really reminds me of the near mint NH8050 i just grabbed for about 80$
>repolishing
I would try to keep the case as is, and relume it as close as to original. Perhaps even something like what Spencer Klein always tries to replicate, a.e dated/aged Seiko lume.

Though with such extensive lume degradation i guess the movement hasn't fared any better.

What's wrong with vintage gold watches?

I tend to wear mine from time to time.

What do you guys think of this watch?

>cheaper than SKX at $150
>domed sapphire crystal
>nh35a movement with handwinding and hacking
>divers 300m instead of 200m

It just lacks the Seiko name.

>What's wrong with vintage gold watches?
they're pretty gaudy and tasteless imo
something I expect from chinese and pajeets

>gaudy and tasteless
Sure if you're wearing a 52mm Invicta hockey puck, that's definitely gaudy.

But if it's a Omega Constellation, worn subtly as a dress watch.

I always go leather in winter to avoid cold bracelets, but the light rain tends to fuck with the shit leather. Recommendations?
Wearing Submariner and DayDates kind of styles.

Mine were stolen, I left them at my parent's place and they got robbed last year. I think I'm gonna get just one and keep it in my rotating use.

Personally I wouldn't change anything in it in appearance. I'd just service the movement or replace the internals entirely since it's probably fucked to dust inside.

How many clicks on the bezel?

Why is your watch even exposed in the rain?

It's just a constant light european drizzle. Walking to the station, waiting for the bus, smoke break outside, walking to the bar, etc.

Do you know some places with vintage stuff? I haven't found any so far.

Anyone know what kind of leather that strap is? I'm guessing nubuck.

I don't know much about watches, are Seiko 5 glass made out of sapphire?

Put it on a navy perlon or black/brown leather and it will look great.

No. They are Hardlex, that's Seiko's mineral crystal.

How does it compare?

It's more prone to scratches than sapphire but less likely to shatter if hit.

Do you guys think it looks acceptable when a vintage watch looks aged and beat up as fuck? I am kinda insecure about wearing something that looks like grabbed from the trash. But one could argue that beat up/ages vintage watches have some character and charm to it.

>I'd just service the movement or replace the internals entirely since it's probably fucked to dust inside.
Well the internals look alright and the seller told me it’s working perfectly. Don’t know if I should waste money on servicing it considering how cheap I got it for. Pic related is the movement.

In NL? Depends what city bro. Google is your friend.
Brick and mortar stores are much higher than online prices, but that comes with the security I suppose

It's called patina and is appreciated in watches much more than if something is polished to oblivion etc. Original is always better, Rolex fags will pay a fortune for an aged looking watch.

Too big.

>Submariner
Everest rubber strap.

Vintage or not i prefer my watches looking as good as they can. I can understand the idea behind patina and such but when it comes to anything that has to do with internal's Patina is a big no for me.

See pic related, i traded my 65$ Vostok for it. Works perfectly and after being demagnetized is rather accurate though i haven't had the time for a proper measurement.

>and the seller told me it’s working perfectly
>believing the seller
kek

I can see that we have somebody who isn't so well versed in the way of avoiding any watches from SE Asia unless you need spare parts. (Or from sellers that buy and resell said SE Asia originated watches)

You can clearly see where there is pitting in the movement retaining ring from water intrusion and over all damage from moisture coming in, especially on the rotor where the polished surface has turned dark from moisture. Plus what ever the hell going the hell with the balance wheel, whether that's dirt or flaking i wouldn't let it run in such a condition.

Mineral is the least expensive material for a crystal. While it doesn't scratch as easily as acrylic, the scratches it does pick up can't be buffed out like acrylic. Pretty much worst of both worlds.

Does anybody know what the name of this exact same watch, but with a dark face, is? I saw that watch (the version with a dark face) today while windowshopping so I know it exists, but it has turned out to be harder than expected to find the exact same model online.

Seiko SSB225

Two second google search.

>spend thousands of dollars
>try not to notice that everyday
>fail miserably

Is that a watch for ants?

I should really get an NY0040 in my collection, love how it looks.
Found an NY0056 nearby though, might pick one instead though I'm not a fan of the thicker bezel.

My jacket covers the watch when it's raining out.

Are you retarded?

Yes but don't be rude please

>NY0056
I wouldn't mind owning both.

Or perhaps the new NY0070 when the price goes down.

The NY0070 just looks like a Mako XL, imo.

Man this thing looks so cool I wouldn't touch anything related to appearance.

>1k for 6R15

What did Seiko mean by this?

It's a titanium case and bracelet with scratch resistant coating, dual AR sapphire crystal, and with very good external finishing. The external finishing is literally and unironically better than an Omega Aqua Terra.

What's one tier above 6R15 in Seiko's movements?

>Teleports behind your watchfu
>Adjusts time.

Nothing personal.

>actually answering him
He knew why they cost so much
He knew you would reply

Whatever they put in the Tunas, some resident Seiko autist will probably know the exact movement number, I can't remember.

If you're going to wear it, polish it. If it's a collectable piece, don't touch anything.

Because this is absolutely true. A beat up tropical dialed sub, that's never been polished can buy you a new Benz if you wanted to sell it. Touching the dial or the case in any way would be a mortal sin in the watch collecting world. It's all about original factory condition in the watch world, kind of like vintage cars, but it's even more autistic.

I say, if you have something that's nice, but not going to appreciate in value, give it a good polish. Still, don't touch the dial though. Dial refinishing is a fucking nightmare anyway, and unless the guy is good, it'll look even shittier when he's done.

soiboi detected

The 6r2x is a 28,800 bph version of the 6R family used in some more expensive models but it really isn't on another tier than the 6R15. Right now the only tier above the 6R family is the 8L family, which are undecorated Grand Seiko movements. There used to be the 4Sxx between them, but Seiko made it a Credor only movement sadly.

Worth it for the opportunity to post that side by side picture. Honestly it's a pretty damning indictment of the AT.

I guess slightly higher in the 6R range like the 6R27, which is a better finished, adjusted and with more complications along with a higher beat rate.

Otherwise were going up to L type movements like 4L75, the 8L35 that you can fine in Marinemasters, which is basically an unfinished and less adjusted version on the higher end GS movements. You have stuff like the 6S78 chronograph movement, the 8R28 cal chrono's and the lower end 7RXX Spring drive movements. Occasionally you can find a 4S15 which is a real jackpot if the price is right.

Also forgot the 5R series spring drive movements.

Just saw one of these the first time. Reasonable size, SS case, okay bezel action, but soup-can bracelet, and MTP-tier rough case finish. It's priced around the same as the Duro.

Pic not mine.

>mfw missed the estoril 300 batch
Any of you faggots pre ordered one?

are you high?

SRPC03

it's beautiful

Any reason not to get this?

>40.5mm diameter
Is one.

That looks cheap as fuck.

I have a 38 mm watch I think fits just fine. Is the extra 2-3 mm a huge visual difference?

The more I look at this watch the more I laugh

It's a men's watch, soyboy.

It's a noticeable difference, yes.

Maybe the black is better? But yeah it looked like a brass-case MTP at first. I guess it's meant for people too poor for even a Mako.

But at least it's got 200m WR.

It's supposed to be more dressy, not a sports or diver watch. Typically dress watches are under 40mm. I have no problem with the latter two categories being over 40mm.

pic

Looks like someone took a can opener to a kids play diver.

Black is significantly better though

No. Why would I be? I own a watch that I never have to adjust the time on, the solar battery should last over 15 years before replacement. Adjusting time daily on an automatic watch is horse shit. Might as well wind it.

GF releases a new micro foudroyante using LIGA manufacturing

I would have bought one if I had known about them before I got my SKX. I really like the dial on the deep blue. It would fit be fine, but I see how many people couldn't wear it.

Have any nice shots of it irl? I was unconvinced by the promotional pictures.

Sorry to hear about your genetics.

Hopefully this is another step towards their supposed 180-day pr watch escapement.

Neat. Now when is GF releasing details on their new escapement?

You are right, I am better off polishing it since it’s just a 50€ watch that I want to wear and that can be easily resold for the same price. Still nothing special.
I shouldn’t touch the dial perhaps, as it may ending worse than it already looks.
I remeber that user who ““relumed”” his ugly blue amphibia, he truly fucked his shit up.

you seiko fags really need to kill yourselves

I did, but I eventually figured out the correct viscosity and shit.

What was your first winding or automatic watch /wt/?
Fake pepsi GMT that someone gave my father and I kept once I pointed it was fake.
It broke a year ago and someone stole it, it would have been a nice project.

Yeah that's neat I guess. But it's nothing compared to an escapement using the same technology, which still seems impossible to my simple mind.

Nylon or leather on Vostok Komandirskie?

Both.

You meant what to order it with? Their stock bands suck balls either way.
If you mean replacement, just get both. Thought I wear my sukhoi with brown leather.

Snk807

Wow, what a convincing explanation of your point of view, presented calmly and with a wealth of evidence

Why on earth would you even consider that model over the Duro?

Perlon on the submariner.

Ask Casio. MTD-s are usually 100m and a bit fancier than the Duro (see the 1080 in pic). This is 200m, vheaper and looks like shit.

Kek. Could recommend me some vintage lume and give me some tips to achieve the perfect viscosity? Just in case, thanks.

>Could recommend me some vintage lume
No idea, I think Superluminova sells browned lume.
>give me some tips to achieve the perfect viscosity?
Trial and error. Also the main problem with the Amphibia dial wasn't just that the lume was too thick, but the binder melted the dial paint. Not sure if this would happen to other manufacturer's watches too, but I bet those lazy Russians use model paint for dials.

I've since replaced the previous dial.

Seeing the thin bezel I think I do prefer the thicker fifty fathoms mod instead.

I've heard that people mixed superluminova with some brown pastel to get it a bit more aged.

Likely either Natural or C3 variant used.

You could pretty much slap any bezel insert on a Vostok, including on a very high and thick bezel.

What do you think of my daily driver?

i'm having some slight doubts on that being your "daily driver"

Leather for sure.

>daily driver

Fisher price tier.

What's worse, r/watches or WUS?
I think we already confirmed that RWI are the most autistic.

SKX009, it now has a custom lumed ceramic bezel insert and a Strapcode super oyster.

WUS has the advantage of old threads having info on more models. More history so easier to find users with certain watches, more experienced people that have done more mods, etc.
I guess my only problem with WUS is that it's a standard forum, I'm really not fond of that kind of style. But the dads there have cool watches, from orient beaters, dorky plastic stuff, their military service watches, true divers, etc.
Reddit only has the advantage of being fast and large for a forum, otherwise they suck massive balls, and the way reddit works makes it so that most people just repeat whatever the rest does, so it's no surprise everyone has basically the same collection over there, which is completely uninteresting. Even here /poorfagwatches/ has more variation in a single thread than that place in a year.

I haven't been to r/watches but WUS is absolutely fucking terrible. I think the most grating thing of all is all the begging the wife to let them buy this watch cuckery. Literally every fucking post is about
>My wife finally let me buy this watch
>Lovely piece wear it in good health! I wish I could buy one by my wife doesn't let me
>I hope my wife doesn't find out how much this new piece cost me!
Why would I ever possibly give a shit about these peoples' bitch wives and shitty marriages?