End of an era

NVIDIA issued a number of knowledgebase updates, and a number of things are going end of life. Nvidia is working on the 390 series drivers, and from the looks of it will be halting 32-bit support drivers. Whether this is just the professional series or also the consumer end-user drivers is a little unclear. But I assume both.

After Release 390, NVIDIA will no longer release drivers for 32-bit operating systems for any GPU architecture. Later driver release versions will not operate, nor install, on 32-bit operating systems. Driver enhancements, driver optimizations, and operating system features in driver versions after Release 390 will not be incorporated back into Release 390 or earlier versions. This impacts the following operating systems:

Microsoft Windows 7
Microsoft Windows 8/8.1
Microsoft Windows 10
Linux
FreeBSD

Other urls found in this thread:

guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-ends-driver-support-for-32-bit-operating-systems.html
nvidia.com/object/jetson-tk1-embedded-dev-kit.html).
anandtech.com/show/6936/intels-silvermont-architecture-revealed-getting-serious-about-mobile
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-ends-driver-support-for-32-bit-operating-systems.html

Probably a none issue for most people.

The only still supported Windows versions that only have 32bit option would be POSReady 2009(based off XP, EOL 2019), and Windows Thin PC(based off 7. EOL 1¾ years after W7 eol). The only supported versions that still makes sense running 32bit would be Server 2008 R1(based off Vista, EOL same time as W7).

Otherwise you have a choice in other editions. Or only 64bit for Windows Server(2008R2 onwards)

WHAT A DISASTER
ALL THE PEOPLE RUNNING WINDOWS XP AND WIN 2000 ON THEIR HIGH END GAMING DESCTOPS ARE LEFT WITHOUT SUPPORT

HOW AM I SUPPISED TO PLAY FUTURE GAMES ON WIN98 NOW?

Wake up fagboi.
32bit was dead for a while already

They already dropped Windows XP support a few years ago.

What is new is that they no longer support the 32bit versions of modern Windows operating systems.

>modern
Win 10 doesnt even have a 32bit version.

Win7 has no dx12 and although does have a 32bit version I doubt many people use it.

x64 was a NORM since core2duo whih ran on DDR2

7 and 10 both run like shit with 4gb ram, who cares.

Win 10 doesnt even have a 32bit version.

Yes it does.

>nvidia doesn't work
You don't say?

back to r/amd bud

Windows 10 does have a 32 bit version.

>b-b-but nvidias website is white on black! I'm supposed to be the cool kid here!

back

I guess mistook Win 10 for Server 2008R2/2012R1R2/2016 which is actually 64 bit only. Not sure about this but I guess Pro for Workstations is also 64 bit only, because the 32 bit won't make sense(other than regaining ReFS)

I actually fail to see the problem unless there are industries where the use new hardware and 32-bit operating systems is common which I would be totally glad to learn about and be proven wrong.

The only case I can think of is a Intel Atom(from 08/09) or ARM based boards(Like the Jetson TK1 dev board nvidia.com/object/jetson-tk1-embedded-dev-kit.html).

I'm an AMDfag but this is a really good thing. 32bit needs to fucking die already, it's 10 years overdue.

As a programmer I think that's great
Having to create separate x86 and x64 versions is a pain
I really want to go x64 exclusive

You can still use R390 drivers for your 32-bit OS until the end of time

Drivers post R390 driver branch will be 64-bit only

That's actually good. 64bit is a upgrade of 32bit, and I'm not sure why would anyone chose 32.

Ohhh noo it’s almost like they are trying to push the technology industry forward or something.

Fucking deal with it
64bit is literally exponentially better then 32bit in everyway possible

Don’t like it? Don’t update your driver and don’t buy any new products.

>Fucking deal with it
>64bit is literally exponentially better then 32bit in everyway possible
>Don’t like it? Don’t update your driver and don’t buy any new products.

boy you sure told him didn't you tough guy?

You don't say originated here, fignewton

So who of us two needs the backening now?

So this means that all future tegras will be 64-bit? Or did they not think this through?

im sorry (not really sorry sweetie) but you have to go back

The Tegra X1 is 64bit.

>I doubt many people use it.
just like dx12.

>Win 10 doesnt even have a 32bit version.
But it does

>what is PAE?

>no dx12
oh noooooo, how will I play all these three games now?

>x64 was a NORM since core2duo whih ran on DDR2
we share a board with people who think 32 vs 64 bit means the amount of ram your system has

I haven't bought an Nvidia card in over a decade, simply due to the fact that AMD/ATI have open source drivers that work well enough for desktop/CAD use on linux.
Are nvidia's open source drivers close to AMD's in functionality and maturity yet?

>using 32 bits
>2017

KYS

boy you sure told him didn't you tough guy?

lmao butthurt bitch

>32 bits in 2018 - 1 week
Even low-end netbooks today come with 4 ram minimum + w10 home 64

Chink atom-based tablets are x86 still.

We have had 64-bit extensions on consumer CPUs for over 15 years now. I think it's about time.

>atom
didn't Broadwell make that shit obsolete?

No they don't.
Must be a user error.

>I'm an AMDfag
Obviously, AMD is the father of modern x86 64-bit extensions.

Atom chips are 64-bit.
Unless we are talking about old 2010 Atom CPUs not SoCs.

anandtech.com/show/6936/intels-silvermont-architecture-revealed-getting-serious-about-mobile

Atom has been 64-bit for the last 5 years

I did!!
I’m a mean toughie!

Thanks for noticing friend.

>NVIDIA will no longer release drivers for 32-bit operating systems
good

>This impacts the following operating systems:
>Microsoft Windows 7
>Microsoft Windows 8/8.1
>Microsoft Windows 10
>Linux
>FreeBSD
only idiots who didn't get 64-bit

I mean, hell, 64-bit is limited to 3.5gb of RAM, how can you even run a real operating system on that little. mobile/chromeOS/netbooks don't need nvidia graphics, you can't do much productivity on them anyways, nothing that onboard graphics can't handle anyways

this is like the US government saying that they are banning all cars that can't achieve 30mph from driving on the freeway, it's a good thing

fuck yes

(OP)
>I mean, hell, 32-bit is limited to 3.5gb of RAM
Ftfy

see this is real leadership and innovation folks. if amd was smart they would take a hint from nvidia but they're to stupid to AHAHAHA AMD BTFO & FINISHED!

>64-bit is limited to 3.5gb of RAM
>970 3.5gb of vram
hmmm

Friendly reminder:
GTX 1050 Ti is the best GPU that was ever created by humanity

Besides HEVC 1 bit which Kaby Lake can play just fine why not just get a GTX970/980 used.

this ^^ 1050 ti makes anything ayymd has look like pure shit

RX 470/570 4GB on early 2017 prices slaps the shit out of 1050Ti. And the 8GB variant is good enough for VR, never forgetti.

The Forza games?

>this is what amd drones actually thing
bro, even ayymmdd house fire vegas suck compared to the 1050 ti. fucking joke of a company lmao

>RX 470/570
That would mean buying AMD, no thanks.

+2 poos in your loo

>physx is a lie
>yfw amd drones literately believe this
get rekt amd. i can't wait till this pile of shit company finally files for bankruptcy. intel + nvidia is all you need.

About goddamn time
98% of steam users use 64bit systems

is that you in the picture?

Who the fuck even still uses 32-bit hardware? Anything 32-bit is at least a decade old. If you're really that concerned about performance advancements or new features you aren't going to continue using that hardware.

You're as thick as him, x64 has been a thing since ~2006, around the time DDR2 was released.

Hardware limitations. Although the last processor without x64 instructions was that dinky atom processor from 2009.

Although, HP made a think client in 2012ish that used AMD Geode which was x86 only, but that doesn't even use anything Nvidia nor ever could, so is irrelevant to this situation.

And are also entirely irrelevant to this situation.