Comfy as fuck

>comfy as fuck
>free as in freedomâ„¢
>Sup Forums is too autistic to admit it

Yeah, I never got all the systemd hate, it's a fine OS. The only thing it's missing is a really good init system.

HIlarious and original.

>The only thing it's missing is a really good init system.

And desktop usability, but volunteer developers would rather fork things that have already been done several times than do the shit work it would take to make Linux compete on the desktop

true dat nigga

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as systemd is in fact systemd/GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it systemd plus GNU plus Linux.

true that just because windows fucks it up doesnt mean open sauce is doing the same

>shilling FOSS

werks on my machine.

FLOSS*

I actually like systemd.
I think it's very nice to use.

>comfy as fuck
it's not more convenient than RunIT/OpenRC. Infact, more traditional init systems are easier to understand (because they are simpler!).

>free as in freedom
It's main dev won't fix bugs and belittles security holes. All his other projects are/were completely unusable for years.

And finally, I have to ask: Would you trust a big monolithic, complex clusterfuck that tries to make every other software depend on it? (also, remember that systemdick is being aggressively shilled by a (for-profit) company)

>Would you trust a big monolithic, complex clusterfuck that tries to make every other software depend on it?
Yes. It's called the Linux kernel.

Oh shit you are right. I just saw SystemD change log and apparently they have now implemented a new kernel, too

He finds systemd hard to understand.

a huge vulnerability surface is comfy as fuck now?
go back to to your subreddit

systemd is good

Systemd is a systematic destabilization of the GNU/Linux community.

It is a one of a kind rework of various critical (previously independent) system elements into a corporate led spaghetti ball of code with intentional complexity, Its design makes it harder to audit by members of the community and the difficulty will only continue to scale as it continues growing.

If systemd could be accurately compared to something a malignant growing tumor would be the most fitting.

First off, systemd is not an init system, it has an init system as part of the systemd suite. systemd is a project to build a standardised lowlevel userland for Linux. The project is pretty comprehensive and it delivers a lot of functionality under one umbrella. It does away with a lot of older, often undermaintained software packages, which were traditionally used to assemble a low level userland.

Which is where the contention comes from, as a system suite systemd is restrictive for Unix virtuosi who are used to tailor a system with wit, ingenuity, a lick and a prayer and a couple dozen of unrelated packages. systemd makes such knowledge useless.

The faction that thinks that systemd is Linux's Hiroshima, finds all the added functionality bloat, unnecessary and dangerous, as it is all under development in one project.

All the systemd jokes stem from the comprehensiveness as a low level system suite. People against it love to joke that one day systemd will write its own kernel.

There is a lot of FUD and hate going around. Some arguments do have merit, a lot of eggs in one basket is certainly true, but as with all things in life, it depends which tradeoff you prefer. Do you want a suite of well designed software, working closely together, so that system management is streamlined or do you want the complete freedom to tailor your own low level system with a lot of time tested, interchangeable components.

I have no desire to be a low level system designer, so I prefer systemd. I don't hate traditional init systems though. If a Linux system has one and I need to work with it, I'm still happy it boots and starts the necessary services.

I agree with a lot of what you've written but that's why I'm against systemd

>First off, systemd is not an init system, it has an init system as part of the systemd suite. systemd is a project to build a standardised...
That's why I hate that is being shilled as "just" an init system. If anything, it makes it seem even more like a poison.

>Which is where the contention comes from, as a system suite systemd...
That knowledge is far from useless, even in post-systemd unix there's a lot of scripting, there's still lots of low level programs doing stuff the "unix" way. I would argue that in fact, now you need the previous wizard knowledge plus systemd stuff.

>The faction that thinks that systemd is Linux's Hiroshima...
A lot of that comes from the fact that it was shilled as a init system. I doubt the arguments about bloatedness would be a thing if systemd presented as a replacement for low level userland.

>All the systemd jokes stem from the comprehensiveness as a low...
In fact, I joke that someday Linus will get fed up with systemd bullshit and will write a replacement.

>There is a lot of FUD and hate going around. Some arguments do have merit, a lot of eggs in one basket...
And also, another systemd lie is that the components are interchangeable. They indeed are, but the design is so overcomplicated that systemd is defacto monolithic. The fact that maintainers like to break things then expect everyone else to fix their shit doesn't help to write something to work with systemd

>I have no desire to be a low level system designer, so I prefer systemd... boots and starts the necessary services.
The fact that systemd faggots break userland and then expects other guys to write code to take in account their new stuff, means that those who don't want to dive in the design should be more wary.

I'm not per se against systemd, I just want a saner architecture, and far from. The hands of Lennart et al.

>also, remember that systemdick is being aggressively shilled by a (for-profit) company
I don't care about this so much as the fact that Pottering refuses to fix the fucking bugs and possible security holes in systemd; not to mention that fact that it being a massive monolithic clusterfuck means if I want to get rid of it, I have to network-manager as well on Debian. I just installed antiX since it basically is Debian minus the systemd.

I fucking hate journalctl.

>responding to pasta

I honestly actually like systemd for how it simplifies tasks on my end.

install Gentoo

systemd was made by the NSA to introduce backdoors into linux