/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-note-4-global-3gb-32gb
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I gave my sister my new iPhone X in exchange for sleeping with her. Never really liked it desu, fuck swiping down from the top

what apps should i get for honor 8? i wanna rice this thing

smart user

Does the PPTV King 7 have OEM support? My friend can't use the USB endoscope with his King 7, but I can use it with my S4 and Redmi note 4x.
Anyone less brainlet than me can help me out please?

Total noob here, what are some good phones i can get for 100-120€?

I know literally nothing about phones, and tbqh i just want it mostly to take pics, snaptchat, insta, no gaming tho, that's weird imo.

I finally bought the Xperia XZ1 for 489€. I decided to prioritise android updates and UI responsiveness over the screen and camera the S8—the other device I was considering—offers.

two days in and I love this thing. my main concern, the 2700mHa battery, is gone: it lasts a day and a half under light usage.

the only downside, so far, is the camera low-light performance on auto mode and video recording, but it's nothing I didn't know before I made the purchase.

also, the 960fps slow motion is so fucking sweet.

so Sup Forums, I absolutely recommend this for under 500.

I'd recommend you to go up to 199 and buy the xiaomi mi a1.

snappy, durable, well built. 10/10 for the price

Hi so im pretty noob how do i know which phones are good? Like what specs should i look for and how do i know if they are better than the others?
Im looking for something preferably under the 500 euros but its daddys money so it can go up a bit.
I was looking at samsung s7/8 because i like samsung and had a s5, idk if the j are good but maybe j7, also idk i heard p10 is good so might get like a p10 lite or something, what do you think.
Just copy pasted from /sqt/, made me realise i dont even know what i want, i just want something 'fast' avg camera, and rest could be meh i guess

Oneplus 5T
alternatively S8 will be okay too since you liked samsungs so you'd be used to touchwizz and stuff

>something 'fast' avg camera
For under 500, xiaomi mi6, oneplus 5t and sony xz1 (see ) are pretty fucking fast with average cameras. Your call

AMOLED screen has a stripe about one centimeter wide where it is darker on grey screens. Is this normal or should I return?

is in the top? starting right below the notification bar?

at the top*

What's the strongest/sturdiest charging port? USB-C or lightning? I can live with either ecosystem, but the microusb port just went on my phone and I'm slightly upset about it

usb-c

No, 4/5 towards the bottom.
There is another one that is less noticable more towards the top.

Are you assuming that I am retarded and mistaking the shadow of the notification bar for a screen defect?

So if i wanted to go over 500, how would my options change?

not such a thing, user, but here's my s6 screen doing strange things at the top too and so I wondered

>nokia relaeses the nokia 7
>only in china
great, what are they thinking, it's such a good looking phone speccwise.

S8, while not precisely snappy, is acceptable.

also has anyone ever imported something from china? Seriously considering it right now.

Is Google Camera any good or should I search for some random other camera app for my new phone?
I don't really know what is good or how to even figure out what would be

Doubt you'll find much better

Poorfag here, I'm on boost mobile so what are my options?

Is the sony xperia xz same as xz1? Currently leaning towards the xz
Also how would the xperia L1 xperia XA1 go? And what about the j7 its just at a really nice price for what seems to be good?

kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-note-4-global-3gb-32gb

They're launching some new phones in January, Nokia 9 at least, Nokia 6 (2018) possibly, maybe we'll see a worldwide launch for the 7 too

the XZ's back scratches a lot easier than the XZ1. Also, the XZ1 has a better camera, better processor, better RAM, better screen and... better everything. It's not worth it, user.

XZ is an older model and it's a bit shit, XZ1 is newer and better, there's also XZ Premium which is also good.

I'd also mention the Nokia 8 as being worth a look, should be available at around 500€

and for the second round of questions, I wouldn't recommend either Samsung and Sony medium range phones. It's not like you'll go wrong with them, is just that there's better options for the price. But hey, if you like something for the looks and it's around 500, it's probably not a bad phone by any means

Thanks for the info about the Nokia, I did not know that. I'll wait a bit longer and hope for a western release then.

i imported a zuk z2 to europe.

I think the battery in my one+1 is finally dying
should I get the new note with the cool pen or that Essential thing with the 360 camera?

that depends: do you want the most feature-packed phone with a not that smooth of a UI or a bare bone UI smartphone with one of the most tasteful and durable designs (and also a below average camera)?

>comfy with one hand
>jack audio
>lineage os support
>sd slot or 128gb
Does it exist? I don't need a good camera or top performance

Sony Z5 Compact?

I want it to work but shiny is good too
probably a more barebone system so I can use all my custom apps to do the stuff that most phones build in

isn't it old now?

So?

lenovo K8?

>sd slot (128 gb max)
>lineage os support
>3.5 mm jack
>5.2"

even has a fucking fm radio

Looking for Nexus 6 upgrade.
US, Sprint.
Budget: $0 - $400, maybe more if you can sell me on it and especially if it works with Sprint.

I'd like a phone as large as the Nexus 6 and can record video at 4K resolution. I'd also like a phone with a display that has squared corners; it's a personal preference. Any other features are optional.

I was thinking of getting the Pixel 2 XL, but the price and the display put me off a tad. The price more than the display.
I was recommended the OnePlus 5T, but it turns out it doesn't work with Sprint. I was also recommended the LG G6, the LG V30, and the Xiaomi Mi A1, if that helps.

HTC 10, Moto G4 Play

OnePlus 5T currently $481 usd at banggood with code 12BGCPON
Just a heads up to everyone

I'm thinking of switching from an iPhone 6 to a Galaxy Note 8.

Can someone tell me about the differences between iOS and Android?

android will give you way more control of your device but asks for more input from you than the apple

can I use a note 8 international version in the US?
looks like I can get it in deepsea blue for $525

Anyone have experience with either the Samsung C9 or C7? Looking for a Note-like without shelling out 800+ bucks, and I don't need all the features of the higher end phones.

If they're shit, are there any Note-likes you would recommend?

Check bands, then compare to the bands offered by US carriers. Note that an international version probably won't have CDMA functionality, so Verizon and Sprint might give you a bit of grief if you are in an area with poor LTE coverage (or work in a building that screws with the signal). Don't expect a warranty, either.

Just cracked my screen and storage has been full lately, so any recs for 200-300$?
Processor (or memory; I don't know for sure what a phone needs to avoid slowdown)
storage
and screen are my priorities.

Is there anything coming with snapdragon 630 or 636 and with +4000 mAh battery? Why Xiaoshit is still doing similar phones than last year but with just new names? I'm pretty sure that their sales will drop hard with this shit.

Mi Max 3

>Mi Max 3
7'' screen

When we are going to see 10nm or under phone soc's? How much more energy efficient they will be compared to 14nm?

Snapdragon 835, Exynos 8895, Kirin 970 and Apple A11 are all 10nm

Daily reminder to never buy an Huawei phone outside of Europe chinkland and USA otherwise you'll be stuck with the same version of Android forever.

IKTFB , own a Huawei MediaPad X2

There's a Nougat update on XDA you can install manually

why don't you just flash a newer version?

There's none for my region. if I try the ones on XDA i'll brick my phone.

What do you mean by more input? You mean it gets worse than needing an Apple ID for everything?

What does it mean when people "root" there phones? Is this something I could do with a Note 8?

rooting means that you get administrator privileges to the root folder of the operating system. this means you can change or modify anything in the phone, including uninstall stock apps, install apps that make use of administrator privileges for special functions, use xposed, and lots of other stuff.

Ok, that's more or less what I figured it was. I'm assuming this is a fairly complicated process? Are there any guides to do this with new phones?

If I switch to Android, I just wanna make sure if remove the stock garbage.

Sup Forums taught me to build my own computer...now I need a smart phone lesson.

Just switched from my OPO to a OP5t, face unlock is sometimes too fast for me and I wonder why I don't have a lockscreen.
Anyways, I had everything backed up on Google photos before transferring but the folder management is fucking horrendous on it, everything just piled into one clusterfuck so i ditched that option and just back up camera photos on it.
The other problem is that when transferring pictures from OPO>PC>OP5t, the dates get reset to the day of writing, is there anyway to get around this without rooting?

Does the Android phones lose battery cycles like the iPhones? I heard apple update it to slow down their phones

Is there any way to install "vanilla" android on a samsung phone?

Depends what phone, but yeah

Is iMessage important to you? It seems that not having it is an actual deal breaker in the US.
Batteries in android phones work the same as batteries in iPhones.

Bought dad a OP5T and he loves it thanks Sup Forums

How do I find out? Can't anything on the xda page (sm-a520f)

I got some new phones for my family for Christmas, they all need nano SIMs whereas our old phones used micro SIMs. At work, I've used a cutter to shape the SIMs down, but would an ATT store copy the SIMs over to the nano versions without a lot of hassle?

On top of that, I'm also wanting to copy the SIM from my work phone to use in my personal phone (I have a dual SIM model that could hold both, plan on using the unlimited data plan from work for data but still keep my personal number with it), should I even bother asking the store to try and copy it, or would they refuse because I technically don't "own" the SIM? If that's a no-go, I'll probably order myself one of the things that trim down SIMs myself and just go that route.

daily reminder to not purchase tradesecretleak phones

SM-A520F | Android 7 What I've tried: I partitioned the sd card using minitool partition wizard. I partitioned it into 100gb fat32/exfat and 20gb ext4 partition. I was able to install apps onto the ext4 partition and read things from the fat partition. However, there was a couple problems. I could never see the ext4 partition, all I saw was the internal storage (32gb) and the sd card fat partition (100gb) so I didn't know anything about the sd card ext4 partition.

Secondly, on reboot the fat partition would not mount. I would have to take out the sd card out and put it back in to get it to work.

Thirdly, even when the fat partition would mount it would not show up in windows mtp. When I plugged the phone into the computer all that I could see was the internal storage, so if I wanted to put anything onto the sd card I would have to take it out and put it into the computer. I've used this adoptable storage module to enable installing apps on sd card. It "worked" but I face two problems with this: solid explorer only reads the sd card so it says I'm only getting 120gb (not 120gb + 32gb) and secondly it doesn't load magisk modules properly, so vanced youtube or viper4android don't work. Also now I can't get reverse this.

I've been trying for a while now, I would really love some help.

What's the best non-smartphone with a slide out keyboard? I'm currently using a Cosmos 2 for about four years.

So I'm buying my first smart phone in a few days, and I want to make sure I make the right choice. I want a phone that I can have root access to (I'm a software engineer, so owning my computer is important to me), long battery life, and a fast phone.
I've found the XiaoMi Mix 2 which looks like a decent deal for the 256GB ROM 6GB RAM version. The thing is it will come in the Chinese/English version instead of the global version. I read online that it is not a big deal to just flash over the global ROM, so can anyone confirm that to be true?
Also I read that you can "systemless root" the XiaoMi Mix 2, so I wanted to ensure that was possible.

>but would an ATT store copy the SIMs over to the nano versions without a lot of hassle?
If it is an actual ATT store (not an affiliate store, otherwise you pay about $10/per), you should be able to get free SIMs, but you will need to be the primary account holder (or will need express permission from the account holder and some form of identifying themselves as such) to do it. Then the sales associate will activate the new SIMS to their accounts, slot them in the new phones, and have them all set.

As for trimming down SIMs, the only thing to look into is if a trimmed SIM will be thin enough for your new phone. Some can be cut to fit the nano slot, but will be a little too thick to get a proper fit inside the phone once the SIM tray is replaced.

Who do you plan to have as your carrier, and what is your price range (the XiaoMi looks to be approximately $550, so I'm guessing somewhere around there)?

T-Mobile, but I'm not contract bound, so I could change.
Also I want to spend less than $700. The one I chose out is $640.

Can I get a phone recc? Im on ATT in USA, price range is whatever

Most important:
- s7 edge performance
- about 5"-5.5"
- big battery 3000 mAh+
- sd card slot
- can get lineageOS
- headphone jack

Other:
- removable battery
- OLED

Was thinking oneplus 5T, not sure if there is something better.

Just in case you buy

There is, check again. Other people have managed to update to Nougat on that version

Getting my dearest mummy a phone for Christmas (though she'll probably receive it after Chrissy), is the Oneplus 5T the best in its price range?

Easily
also this

Thanks. What about the regular 5, is there a big difference between em?

Doesn't seem to work

It's for the 6gb version

gotta note 8
pretty good

Shit deal for burgers, the 6gb version is $499 on the official Oneplus store, and you get faster shipping and a proper warranty (+ you can get 10% off with the student discount).

Found a code for the 128gb version.

Burgers need not apply, it's cheaper on the official site ($559 VS $586), especially if you're still a student. Otherwise it looks good

I need to buy a dumbphone for my grand mother. Preferably one which you open with a valve. What would you recommend?

Have a Huawei Honor 9.
Any way to root it?

Hasn't Nokia released a new run of their old buttony model?

Are there any 5 inch phones at around $400 or less that are actually worth buying nowadays? The new Samsung A8 2018 looks interesting with the 2:1 screen but it'll probably cost more than $400 and have shitty custom ROM support.

Should I buy the OP5T from BangGood for 409 euros? Can I expect normal quaity and all?

Yeah should be all good, might just take a while to get to you

Shouldn't be any problems but I'd flash a custom ROM to be on the safe side

It's cheaper if you buy in USD I believe

How's Banggood with customs tax stuff? If I have to pay 21% VAT I'll be out more expensive than buying in-store.

By about 4 euro, but there'll probably be conversion costs if I do that.