Almost 2018

>almost 2018
>nobody has come up with a way to have a very powerful computer host and output different VMs to different screens/tvs in your home so you can have multiple separate computers virtually instead of buying separate ones

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiseat_configuration
youtube.com/watch?v=uKJw8IKVYQ8
youtube.com/watch?v=LuJYMCbIbPk
youtube.com/watch?v=MqUzPcwQqjI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multics
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

We've known how to do this since 2005, it's called a thin/zero client.

You still need hardware external to the host and close to the monitor the VM is going to be output to.

>almost 2018
>almost

welcome to Sup Forums

Thats literally what thin clients are you mong

see

I do that with pci-e passthrough every day.

Not him, but this probably isn't possible without some external hardware.

Without external hardware connected to your network, you would need to run cables from your monitor, mouse, and keyboard at each "station" to your main computer.

This can, and pretty good too. Don't think they support single customers though (i.e. b2b only)

No shit, if you are going to have multiple separate computers from a single host then each computer will need at least a monitor, keyboard and mouse.
Probably some form of speakers too.

Fucking hell.

>a monitor, keyboard and mouse.
And that'd be ok, but you need more, a "thin client".

HDMI over twisted pair (CAT6/7)
+ USB over twisted pair
Models with up to 100 meter range exist.
4k resolution up to 40m.

If money doesn't matter, there's HDMI fiber optic. 4k60p over 1000 meters, no problem.

4k @ 60 fps over fiber optic, max. range 1000 meters.

4k + USB over a single fiber cable
~ 1300$

Very intere-
>~1300$

It's much cheaper if you can live with 1080p

How much are 1080p versions then? Also, how would you install them? just buy a coax cable and connect end to end?

1080p works with standard cheap CAT-6 twisted pair cable,
around $100-$200

They were using multipoint systems in school 10 years ago, what are you talking about?

Now that's reasonable, what are the generic name of these devices? Also, do they carry audio aswell through the HDMI port?

A/V extenders

Thanks

Cables.

Ok, I plug severa mice and keyboard on the host, what now? How do I set specific VMs to use these specific mice and keyboards?

Use google you fucking retard. There are plenty of ways to accomplish

>dunno lol
Thought so, now fuck off.

This technology exists and is used on pro/enterprise graphics cards, just not for consumer plebs. Look into SR-IOV. You can also do PCIe passthrough but you don't have any proper solution to stream that over a network and need a graphics card for each client, so it's not really the same.

>all stored data is on one drive/raid array
>drive/raid array dies, all data is gone
gj retard

>what are le backups? xd

It's 2017 senpai

>it's called a thin/zero client.
No, it's en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiseat_configuration

>sixteen years old
>about to reinvent the wheel for the twentieth time this time in javascript
>banned

>is not your personal tech support

So you're okay with having a separate machine for backups, but having another box at your workstation (rather than running it as a VM on a machine a few rooms away) is an issue somehow? Also, what if there is a hardware problem? Then instead of one person being without a computer, everyone is without. There is literally no point to what you are proposing beyond a "what if?" scenario.

>you need another separate machine to hold backups
>what are weekly or monthly offline backups?
I'm also talking about a home enviroment, not your average high availability server room.

Are people really this ignorant? I was running xterminals 20 years ago, stuff like Plato was in the 70s. And that's ignoring ttys.

There is even a HDMI head to 2xLAN for easy 1080p 30m for like 3$

This isn't a problem with the existence of failover and load balancing technology.

I think it is fair to assume that if this tech was being roled out to home users, the capability for high availability would be there.

The specs for NetScaler VPX ain't that high...

Link or name?

What the fuck are you talking about then? No shit you need a monitor and some kind of input, the fuck are you expecting?

Buy a $10 chinease pi clone and vnc to it

Not him, but you have very unrealistic expectations of what is needed for a thin client.

>have to set up failover and load balancing, and possibly have a backup virtual host in your home, so a hardware issue doesn't take down an entire home
OP still hasn't provided any benefits of this new paradigm. Consumer-tier hardware is cheap as fuck. A laptop or pre-built decent enough for web browsing and media consumption can be easily had for ~$400. What you are talking about would likely be thousands after you set up a backup host and your data backup infrastructure for no actual benefit to the end user.

Not at all, I'm sure there is a tiny GUI Linux distro which can use a VNC client.

Maybe he should pay the $25-30 for the real pi
PiOS has vnc viewer built in

>still need multiple GPus to do this unless you pay hefty shekels
RTG pls
pls enable this on consumer cards.

Semi-related, I wanted to do the same but use my phone as a screen, so I can play vidya on my computer while lying in bed playing it on the phone. I tried out some VNC clients, but none was fast enough. With a couple of friends who know more Android than me, we built an App that can display a stream of UDP-packetized JPEGs at 60 fps on reasonably modern phones (mine's from 2014). I wrote a program that grabs an XScreen at about 60 fps and encodes it as JPEG with turbojpeg. The server on my laptop could produce more than 200 fps if uncapped, my phone got as fast as 90 fps. Quality is really not that good and there is about a 0.05-0.1s delay, but it's good enough for playing RPGs.

Sorry if too bloggy.

Sounds pretty interesting user, I find it humorous it streams jpegs and realistically no reason it wouldn't work at 60/s or more

Mhh, we're agreement as it stands it would be difficult to justify presently for a home user. However, visualisation will be entering the home in the future.

Frankly, I won't be surprised if Amazon does not start offering thin clients and a personalised desktop experience in the next few years. Charge $30/40 for the thin client and $5 for a monthly profile subscription with or within Amazon ecosystem apps/content. This would remove a huge burden from the typical user when it comes to time and money (security, support etc) for a local desktop.

They certainly have the capability to do so given AWS.

I'd love to elaborate more, but I'm writing on my phone in bed at 3 am. So you'll forgive me for being lazy and calling it a night.

Now that is something that might be very useful. No huge up front investment, you can access it from anywhere, security/maintenance/support is handled for you, although the downside would be they may not offer a lot of choice of OS. Obviously for people who are running demanding and/or latency/sensitive applications like games and media editing/encoding it may not be as practical, but it would still be interesting.

You're just retarded user

Exactly, we could even see the return of public terminals. Amazon wouldn't even need to develop their own OS, as I'm totally positive Microsoft will also truly hop onto the bandwagon and create a 'real' Windows OS for virtual instead of a jerry-ridged Windows server build.

In the case of demanding applications, games for example, I'm sure that Nvidia already have the technology to support this, but no way to deploy it in the consumer market.

>Microsoft
>not jerry-rigging the fuck out of everything they ever produced or will produce
Nah.

Games are too latency sensitive for the 30+ms latency to and from a hosted VM.

I've seen users with 40+ shared mailboxes on office 365 through Citrix... Thin clients connected over wireless networks in buildings with thick walls...

...and?

I wasn't saying replacing the average home/office PC with a thin client isn't doable. It certainly is, but there isn't a lot of justification for running thin clients in the home off of an in-home host, because there is very little benefit and even some drawbacks.

Ah, sorry if the joke is lost on you, essentially they are things so bad and abhorrent that they become wonders that they work at all.

But like I said, yes we're in agreement. Not practical for a home user self-hosting as the technologies currently stands.

What? They've been doing this since the 1960s.

Oh, I see now, I thought it was another poster.

There's a Linus Tech Tips video were they used VMs and PCIe passthrough to allow 7 people to play games on one tower. I'm not going to link the video so I don't shill too hard, but the same general principals could be used even if you don't give a shit about gaming.

Post the cucktips video pl0x, I don't want to google it, I need an alibi. "I just found it on Sup Forums".

not , but
youtube.com/watch?v=uKJw8IKVYQ8

nigga, your local mekdolans has used this technology since the mid 2000's, it's existed for a long time.

>tfw no workstation + chromebook thinclient combo

>raid array dies, all data is gone
>I use RAID 0/ RAID 1 with two disks/ RAID 10 with 4 disks

user pls

their emails gone... like tears in the rain

I specifically was talking about the 7 gamers 1 tower video since in the 8/10 one they use thin clients.
But they go in to more detail in this earlier video: youtube.com/watch?v=LuJYMCbIbPk

>rs-232
isn't that shit volatile to literally everything?

>1967
1 computer, 1 'user', people queue to execute their programs
>1977
1 computer, many users, people simultaneously execute many programs
>1987
many computers, each has 1 'user', people execute one program on each
>1997-2007
many computers, each has many, but not simultaneous users, people execute many programs on each
>2017
many computers, each has 1 effective user, on each people execute many vm's, each has 1 user and in each there is just one program

that's how things were done originally
you're literally describing a mainframe + terminals
also, multiseat configurations are still possible today, just most people don't have a need for it

I do kind of wish remotely sharing computers was still a big thing. Reading about it makes me wish I could've experienced it, but I'm too young. I remember some version of Ubuntu or something having a button to leave a message for the user on the lock screen, and I was sad because I knew I'd never get to experience that. This was years after we stopped sharing a family computer, and everyone else in my house was using Windows. Similarly, seeing network logins and folders used with all the Macs at my school growing up made me wish my house had something like that. The way people use computers now is boring and sad. One per person, everyone needs it right in front of them with all the peripherals, they replace it too often, they need a GUI. If I ever have kids, I think I'll get a nice beefy server and they can all ssh into it to work/play. We can write each other messages with 'wall' and then get mad when it fucks up the tmux window.

Got any higher res pics and/or more info on this? I'm interested.

Linus did it.

It just make no sense economically.

> on Sup Forums
> doesn't know how to do an image search.

Literally kill yourself.

You're probably just misunderstanding me, I don't mean that exact pic. I can reverse image search it with one click. I'm just asking for similar stuff.

just do a search for "linux multiseat"
simply put, you're running multiple X sessions, each under their own user, with their own mouse and keyboard
it's not terribly difficult to setup, if you're serious about wanting to do it

Thanks. I'll look into it.

here's an even easier setup, using thin clients
they're super easy to setup, distros like fedora even have plug and play support for them, their display is done over a network, so you won't be running games on them, but they're excellent for office type setups

ps. a "thin client" is similar to a terminal, it's like a physical rdp/vnc client, just a display output, keyboard/mouse input, and a network port for connecting to a server

You just hook up multiple screens/keyboards/mice to your computer, and starts an x session for each of them, then map keyboards/mice to the desired monitors, it's rather simple, and calle multihead, and you don't even need VMs because, you know, multi-user operating system.

"multihead" just refers to having multiple discreet X sessions, not necessarily multiple users
multiseat is what it's called when you have multiple seperate users on one machine

No, multiseat is when you're sharing the same actual session, being the one same user. It CAN be with multiple monitors, but that is not required.
I've done it, there are literally a cursor for every mouse, and each mouse has a focus associated to it. I can type something in one application while other geek writing hateful posts in Sup Forums.

i'm not sure what it's called, having multiple users on one display, but it's not multiseat
the name multiseat comes from the idea of there being multiple seats, as in where someone sits
that is, totally independent user output/inputs (display+keyboard/mouse)

You realize this is a thing?

youtube.com/watch?v=MqUzPcwQqjI

>A very well known and respected Linux company

What is Linux + Wireless HDMI

Not VMs, but there is such a thing called Windows Multipoint Server. The earliest is based off Windows Server 2008 IIRC. Now the functionality is integrated into standard versions of Server 2016.

Requires multiple GPUs (or VGA hubs) and also USB hubs to function. Anything connected to the root hubs(mobo connections) and Multipoint Server will not like it.

>this has been possible for a very long time
you just haven't done it. blame yourself, brainlet

It's called thin client, OP.

It's existed for about 30 years, and mainframes and terminals did the same thing another 30 years before that.

>2018
>No one has found a way to distract me from loli

>This was years after we stopped sharing a family computer

FEEEEEEEELING BLUE AND THE SEAGUL IS CALLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multics
people have been doing this since fucking 1969.
It predates UNIX ffs.

>all these freetards
Pretty sure OP doesn't give a fuck about your tux racer machines, he's probably talking real OSes like Windows.

Pretty sure there are multiple products out there which stream games to Android with better results than a literal stream of JPEGs, as in they use actual video codecs at the very least. For x86 systems Steam also works pretty damn well.

What does it matter? You couldn't afford it if they did. Hey I have an idea. Why dont you get up off your fat poorfag ass and invent a way to do it yourself? Then you might not be 100% worthless.

*tips*

>he's probably talking real OSes like Windows.
I pay you 1 (You) to fuck off back to Sup Forums