Python

>Python
>C++
>C#
>Java

If you had to pick one and ONLY one to use for the rest of your life, which would it be and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

JavaScript

python is not really a programming language
probably java for cross platform compatibility

>programming
Would rather end myself than taking a soulless pajeet job.

Building stuff is fun and the pay is great.

C#

>and why?
C++ and Java are disgusting, and Python has too small a use case.

> If you had to pick one and ONLY one to use for the rest of your life, which would it be and why?
There's only really one option here and it's C++ (or maybe C). If you pick anything else you lock yourself out of doing some pretty major stuff.

Picking Python or anything similar will lock you out of ever being able to develop high performance software or develop for the web.

Picking C# or Java will lock you out of some high performance applications, systems programming and many embedded applications.

Even picking C will arguably lock you out of doing certain applications where higher level abstractions are very useful (I've written a couple text processing transpilers and I really really wouldn't want to have to do them in C).

>C++ and Java are disgusting, and Python has too small a use case.
The only thing lower than your IQ is your skin tone

For what project? Most likely C++.

C#. Right now its slower than Java, and doesnt have the same widespread adoption, but given enough time I'm sure it'll become the more popular choice. It solves so many problems that Java has.

>fun
>pay is great

Nice try Pajeet

Performance isn't why C# isn't as widespread as Java. In fact, rarely ever do you *need* to go lower-level than Java because of performance.
It's because of libraries and because it was vendor-locked for a long time.

Out of these? C++.
But why the fuck would you stick to a single language?
Learning a language is not a hard thing.

Definitely c#

c++ because i don't know what c# is

>html
>css
>programming
wew laddies

Of those listed? Java for the support. C++ second, C# and Python tied for last.
Not listed: Go, because I legitimately enjoy using it unlike other languages.

Of those, C++, easily.

Java is just atrocious and dat memory leaks.
C# is tied to Microsoft, other than that I honestly don't know much about it.
Python is just shit, slow, enforced whitespace, garbage scripting language.

What does that leave?
Premier multi-paradigm programming language for actually getting shit done and doing so efficiently, and fully cross platform.

lisp

C#

Desktop, mobile, and web applications.
.NET Framework is cross-platform with .NET Core.

>C# is tied to Microsoft
Open source and cross-platform now.

microsoft.com/net/

python, ezpz neural networks

c# nowadays

C#

I've been using it since 2006 and it has never given me any sort of roadblock in performance or usability.

Perl6

C# because the other choices are awful. Anyone that chooses Python is a brainlet.

>C#
>it has never given me any sort of roadblock in performance
Wrong.

>>Python
>>C++
>>C#
>>Java

Screw all of those. Common Lisp for life.

It is

C++ because otherwise I couldn't write low-level or embedded code. "If you had to pick one and ONLY one to use for the rest of your life" makes no sense, though. If you can use C++, you can write interpreters and compilers.

u tryna kode like klossy?

Clojure

I could deal with the JVM’s retardation if I got arbitrary heterogenous data structures and arbitrary data modeling power. Great for any non-realtime application, from web sites to back end services to scientific computing.

>Java
The only realistic options are Java and C++ and i'm not a masochist.

C++ obviously. Otherwise I would be constrained by some pooft application level crap.

C++ but I’ll treat it like C and not use any of the bloated OOP crap.

C# because I have a lot of experience with it, it's apparently multiplatform now, and it largely keeps me from causing blue screens.

However, I'd go with C++ for portability if C# turns out to be ass in the future.

Java just makes me sad. Not the language, just the overhead.

>Wrong.
Wrong.

That's like saying HTML is not a programing language...

this.

I'm not sure the question makes sense. Any restriction that prevented you from using your one programming language to build new programming languages would be so restrictive that you'd probably barely be able to do anything with that programming language at all. Pretty much any language can be used to read files, transform them, and write new ones. This means that pretty much any language can be used to build compilers, interpreters, and so on. Actually, compilers and interpreters don't even define languages. I could hand-compile a language into machine code if I had enough time. To prevent me from building new languages you'd have to prevent me from being able to execute files that I've written.
Also, the meaning of "programming language" is a bit fuzzy. The way I look at it, most or all programming is the building of new programming languages. Every time you create a new abstraction, you're creating a bit of a new programming language.

None of those are really my favorite, but if I had to, I'd probably go with C++, because with enough time you can build basically build another language on top of it.

>bluescreens

the neverending state of winblows users

Java

The jobs are going to be around as long as COBOL was

>not using Scratchy

It’s like you guys don’t even want to code serious programs.

you literally don't know what you are talking about

It's a markup language, not a programming language you mongoloid

C++ since that's how I make money.
Ignoring that and talking about purely personal use probably C# though.

kys fag

malbolge

Only valid answer

I think you are mistaken.
>Python is a widely used high-level programming language for general-purpose programming, created by Guido van Rossum and first released in 1991.

>I program in Bash

Bash is a command language not a programming language

You don't have to do it as a job

python is just a shitty gui for programming in c

Probably C and I would say python but I do a lot of embedded stuff so I would probably be better off with c++ or assembly as a second language, If you would count the different kinds of assembly as one language at least.

C# in this case

No it's a programming language.
A gui for programming in C would be something like Eclipse or Visual Studio.

>python
>small use case
kys

And you're retarded

Java.
C# is Windows-only java
C++ is alright
Python too simple

brainfuck
I can never fuck a girl so at least I can fuck my brain

kotlin
because i can't wait 20 years for java to catch up

C#
i lot of big companies are hiring c# programmers

Is it faster? It can't be, right?
I've been trying to decide if I should make the switch. I've learned the language 'n stuff, but I mostly write libraries

You can write Assembly in a C++program. Also C is a subset of C++.

Nonsense question. I'm a consulting senior software engineer. I flip between all four of those languages several times a week. (Although I admit that I don't see much demand for C#.) Why "pick one"? If I did, I'd cut my income in half.

C++
as much as java and c# are "comfy" in certain aspects, if i had to use only one for the rest of my life i would use c++ because it's vastly better than either of those.
python is cancer

I like python a lot but I have to say Java.
It has more potential to build big things without driving the devs crazy with runtime errors and runs much faster. Has fewer footguns than C++ and is faster to develop in safely. I don't know much about c# but the people I know who use it aren't very happy about it most of the time.

pooformance

SWIFT

Pretty much this.

C++, cause I like C++.
I enjoy having super low level control but also nice abstractions. Only downside is a convoluted syntax but I'm used to it.

I would pick C++, so I can write new lang like python/javascript and write everytnig else on it.

scary

my nigga

This

python easily

From the list, Python

But Erlang/Elixir master race

Pretty much this.
Best choice: Java
Worse choice: Python

C++

C++
While Python is cool, it's really bad and ugly when it comes to something heavy, Java and C++ is personal preference, and whoever writes in C# should kill himself.

C# probably

i am a computer programmer proficient in the css programming language

C++

It's as fast as Java if you target jvm. Kotlin native is still slow.

Okay then mister soul, what Sup Forums job would you recommend?

>C# because I have a lot of experience
>Java just makes me sad. Not the language, just the overhead.

This is called Stockholm's syndrome. You've been held captive by bad design and verbose shit for so long, that you think it's normal. Please get help.

The Jana language should make you sad. So should the common patterns people make with it. Java a sad factory class.

Jew-va

Nim

Probably Java.

It's the only one I imagine there's still plenty of work for in 30 years. It's the new COBOL.

>not realizing that they're all basicly the same and being language agnostic is the way to go

Pleb

But if I had to pick: java.

It's easy and a happy medium between low level and stupidly high level. Also it's pretty damn employable.

As for C# I just don't like writing it that much.

who /motorsport/ here

Java is on its way out.
C++ is effectively useless, explicitly for tryhards who ship absolutely nothing.

Python and C# cover an overwhelming majority of use cases with ease. Adding C to the mix would have been more fun though.

>android is on its way out

Google is in fact working on replacing Android as it currently stands with a much better system that grants them more control, makes development easier, and is less of a polluted mess. Won't be an easy transition however.

Anyways android is not where Java's longevity would be regardless, it has always been behemoth enterprise applications.

And do you have a sauce for this made up bullshit?

Nuclear Engineering of course

Kotlin.