7nm

Who here waiting for 7nm? It is pretty much over after it, and buying the current 14nm products feels like a waste. I already have an i3 6100 and a 1050ti to hold me for now. Planning to go full AMD next time.

Other urls found in this thread:

spectrum.ieee.org/nanoclast/semiconductors/materials/carbon-nanotube-transistors-finally-outperform-silicon
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-2600K/3937vs621
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I do not see a reason why current software will push to be only for the 7nm cpus today when 32nm still works like a charm

7nm processors will definitely have more cores, use less power, and therefore output less heat. 32nm are core limited and power hungry.

What's the point of being power efficient if you just add more cores and end up using the same amount of power anyways?

>what's the point of having a large truck that uses the same amount of fuel as a small one? you're just going to spend the same amount on refills.

a large truck can't go as far as a small truck on the same amount of fuel

it's an imperfect analogy, the point is: if that was possible, wouldn't you want the large truck? in the case of 7nm vs 32 or 14nm - it is.

>same power consumption
>more processing power
>what's the point guise?

>not being plugged in to the wall
the truck has infinite fuel. now what?
Do you want the small truck or the big one?

There are two trucks driving towards each other, a small truck moving at 80 mph, and a large truck moving at 50 mph. The trucks are currently 2 miles away from each other and will collide.

Which truck do you choose?

There's a truck and you have a lever, if you pull the lever, Moore's law is broken, but you can't know in what way (50% chance Moore's law is sped up, 50% chance it's slowed down)

Do you pull the lever?

Get 3 pigs, number them 1, 2, and 4. Release them into a truck.

Usually takes a crane to get pig #3 out.

What if the small truck is diesel and the big one is electric?

compare a 1940s box van and a modern truck you fucking mong.

maybe this is clearer:
would you rather be 200lbs shredded with an ffmi of 25,69, 5plt bench and a 6/10 korean gf or a 200lbs #dfprs tubbo with an ffmi of 22,5, 3/4 squat the same and a 8/10 white qt3.14?

Umm, sorry sweetie, but sub-7 nm transistors already exist

yeah, since 2002 or so. maybe, just maybe there is a big fucking difference between existing and being in mass production. do i have to go over the big and small truck again?

Now try making several quadrillion of those on the same wafer with useable yields.

spectrum.ieee.org/nanoclast/semiconductors/materials/carbon-nanotube-transistors-finally-outperform-silicon

Like i said, try making several quadrillion per wafer with useable yields.

>To date, they have managed to scale their alignment and deposition process to 1-inch-by-1-inch wafers; the longer-term goal is to bring this up to commercial scales.
Did you even read the damn thing?

Like your brain?

Cool. Can I buy a CPU and a GPU that utilise those? No? Oh well... Thanks for your useless comment though!

>he thinks brains are printed on waffers.

i have no clue what you just wrote
i'm also not sure if that was intentionally nonsense

Brains are positronic quantum computers, not semi-condutor based.

>nonsense
It actually is a very apt analogy and completely coherent.

>shredded
have low body fat
>ffmi
fat free mass index: m/h^2
>6/10 korean gf
the ideal human female
>#dfprs
dounuts fuel personal records, the rallying cry of fat slobs who lift a weight occasionally and delude themselves that underneath all that blubber is pure muscle (instead of more blubber.)
>3/4 squat
an incomplete squat
>8/10 white qt3.14
a.k.a. a disgusting whore

in other words: would you rather be 200lbs due to having a lot of muscle or 200lbs due to being fat.

why do you give a fuck about the nm? youre not going to see anything different. Youre still going to have x cores @ y GHZ dealing with z cache and not enough lanes to run everything that you cant afford.
go look around intel arc. its all the same shit.

This. Everyone is falling for the muh Ghz meme and processors are then by design more power hungry and emit more heat.

what drives you to be salty towards high ghz clockrates?
Do you not remember the days when processors were all clocked at less than 1 ghz?
My last upgrade left with with a processor that is double the speed of my last processor and the difference is night and day.

>due to the costs involved in development, 5nm is predicted to take longer to reach market than the two years estimated by moore's law.
>14nm has been out since 2015
>its #currentyear #currentyearman #2017 #endof2017
>#14nminto2018
14nm has been with us for nearly three years now. even 22nm lasted around three years.

>using more than 100W on a processor is acceptable
>getting less than 10% performance improvement for 100% more power usage is acceptable
>watercooling should become a standard because muh GHz matters
You must be as dumb as the overclocking faggots to think this.

if it's power efficiency you're after unplugging the cpu will give you infinite

I have a 6700k and my entire computer uses less than a fucking lightbulb so I really have no clue what youre talking about.

>lightbulb
>2017

(you) are retarded.

I have a 6700k too
I wonder if we will have to upgrade this decade

As long as your CPU has 4 physical cores it's futureproofed for the next 10 years. Obviously, newer ones will have a better performance for the same power, but it won't be worth upgrading either way.

This is retarded. You are retarded.

incandescent light bulbs are still available at any store. They are still widely used. Their power usage is still the standard unit most people use when shopping. Go pick up any box of led a19 bulbs and it will say "75 WATT *smaller font* equivalent" you'll have to read small print on the bulb itself to find out its using only 7 watts.

people put 4 of these things in the ceiling of every room in their house and don't think twice about leaving them on all day every day.
and yet here you are bitching and whining about something using ~80 watts on idle.
If a single light bulbs power usage is too high for you go get a raspberry pi or old printer to use as your daily driver.

edit: linked to the other retard aswell

shut up, Wesley.

Why do you care about power consumption? It would take cryptomining before you saw any real impact on your electric bill. Looking this subject up i did find a reddit post-
>inb4 le reddit kys
-where someone did the math and concluded it would be trivial to even leave your computer on forever as it would still be just a couple bucks worth of power.
Effeciency is just a stale meme now for even enthusiast grade hardware. Crypto and data centers are only exception and they dont seem to be the type to be using i7s and i5s.
I even have a friend still running a 2700k with a 1060 with a waterloop and demonstrated how he can push the pc to the fucking maximum with benchmarks while RTS gaming and ~20 tabs open. Temps peaked at 51 degrees celcius and pretty much leveled after 4 hours.

More efficient processors processors output less heat and thus are better for overclocking.

has 10nm been used on anything outside phones and tablets?

So, what will happen after we hit 5nm? Do we return to fridge-sized PCs or do we double down on quantum processors?

Me.

I've been using my i7-2600k for close to 5 years now and I just don't see a reason to upgrade. The performance gains just aren't big enough to justify the expense. I won't settle for anything less than double.

>5nm is the end
ASML begs to differ.

Go to 3nm.

Using new technologies and manufacturing processes will probably allow semi-conductors (or an approximation thereof) to go down to about 3-1nm equivalent. After that, hopefully:
>better architectures
>better soft-ware optimization (got a new unfirom standard that is there to stay, might as well design everything around it.)
>prices plummet, anyone who needs moar speed build a rack at home
But not likely, probably quantum computing or optical computers or something.

How daft are you?
Power efficiency enables you to get more performance per watt of power used.

I'm taking the 8/10, ty very much.

Enjoy your herpes.

but i want my cuckmobile to be small and nimble

/o/ here
I like all the truck analogies in this thread. Keep it up

Again, it will take a lifetime before it hits the market. 7nm will be here to stay for at least a decade.

>still with that archaic core i 2nd gen shit

look its 2 times faster in multicore on average, the future is finally here after 5 years

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-2600K/3937vs621

jews always have something new to sell to idiots.
the problem is that im burned out on games so no reason to upgrade.
inb4 hurr games back to v..... no stfu.
frak your productivity too. computers are made to entertain not to make me their corporate beta bitch.
losers.

TSMC is planning 5nm FinFETs for ~2021, Common Platform is planning fucking GAAFETs for ~2021.
A decade?

I am waiting for 7nm.

Hopefully it releases on schedule, new computer late next year woo!

Fuck lower power. I want 180W 7.2GHz chips

Running 2x the frequency of 14nm at 2x the power. Don't fuck with that low power garbage, just give me performance

>Edit
What? How?

The real feature sizes are ~35-45 x 60-75 nm anyways, you fucksticks need to stop treating the Marketing Buzzword nm as the real measure.

"32nm" still used the same 65nm backplane that was around for 45, 65nm had a 90nm backplane, 90nm was 180 in some cases.
Gate-All-Around (samsung is apparently a couple years away), III-V materials, and GaAr type transistors aren't even a commercial thing yet.

>quantum tunnelling
will this be the thing that makes AI seem to have free will, since it will be faulty and wont be 100% reliable, which will add an element of randomenss to it

top zoz
human "free will" is mostly just down to no having a complete picture, ai "free will" will be down to no one having read all the docs and not considering all possible inputs ie. the same thing.

Because those load Facebook way faster?

thats what I meant, you just phrased it differently.

Also, thats literally what krishna said in bhagavad gita. That there is no free will, since God (awareness) doesnt give a fuck what happens lol.. He is content with anything, since no desires/preferences

also, it could be down to computing errors (since we'll probably have to sacrifice accuracy for speed to some degree)

Gita is redpilled af.

Upanishads too.. hard to admit it, but pajeets have the best religion. It makes most sense in the current era.

One could go with buddhism, but buddhism is just a rip off of hinduism

It's Sup Forums you moron.
CPP/MPP numbers don't fucking matter here, the board is full of guerilla marketers.
Also GAA is the future for CPA, and not Samsung alone.
IBM (that does the campus R&D for CPA) has fabbed "5nm" test vehicle with EUV litho recently.

sure, that's why I said "mostly." but that's bound to be a very minor factor in any system that is flexible/self-correcting enough to approximate human consciousness. and if you expand your scope so the causes of the error are also within it - that point is moot too.