/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Old Thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replaceable CPUs, IPS displays available, chiclet
P series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW (embed)

BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/IBM-ThinkPad-R51-15-Notebook-1836BAU-Intel-Pentium-M-1-5GHz-BROKEN/272993768745?hash=item3f8fb25529:g:5ioAAOSwVqlZ8P0i
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:850
ebay.co.uk/itm/Loving-Joy-Real-Feel-8-Inch-Wonder-Suction-Cup-Dong-Dildo-Sex-Toy-LUBE-INCLUDED/182222025393?hash=item2a6d4772b1:g:ovIAAOSwXrhXmTMQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Threadly reminder to not answer to that faggot complaining about his T420 being shit for HD video playback.

How much should I charge for my upgraded T420? Its time to part ways with it. I used a Chromebook and even little shit like USB 3.1 speeds,. USB C, vastly better battery life, m.2 support, etc have spoiled me. I'd be using these funds from the sale to save for when Lenovo releases a Thinkpad with those new R5-2700U chips in them. Or a Dell precision, or hell I may just buy a top end Chromebook. I don't know. Anyway, specs
>14.1" 1366x768 unfortunately
>Dropped in an i7-2620m
>8GB ddr3-1333mhz (2x4GB)
>9 cell primary battery
>9 cell dock battery
>Crucial MX100 120GB SSD in main bay
>320GB WD black in ultrabay
>Brand new keyboard
>Legit windows 7 professional key

I also have the 6 cell it came with, the I it came with, and it's DVD drive.

Throw it in the fucking garbage. Only /tpg/ autist buy that shit.

Put it on eBay on auction, starting at 150 USD, let the market decide.

Just pulled the trigger on an X220 tablet.
$230 Canuck bucks.
How did I do?

I bought it because I broke my X201 and I'll fix it later, but I also wanted something to make hand written notes on for Uni.

Mean! And of course only autists buy them. Which is why I'm asking for a fair sell price so said autist is willing to part with his NEET bux to get it. It's in good physical condition too. Upgraded from the start ought to add at least $75 to it's value right? I mean other than throwing in an mSATA SSD under the keyboard and moving up to stupid shit like a 4c/8t housefife i7-2630qm and 16GB ram, there is really nothing left to put in.
That's what I was thinking. Start it at $150. Buy it now for $240.

>Buy it now for $240
Heh, if I needed a laptop, I would give up to 300 for it.

If I were you I would put it on auction only.

>inb4 muh dad gave me 200 thinkpads for free frogposter
don't give him any (you)s

True. I may get more money then I thought if I do that.
Not bad.

My mom gave me 200 thinkpads what do guise.

Thank you based Jung

what thinkpad can do rocket league at max settings?

W701ds

Oh. Oh shit.

Can I have 3 please?

Smash or pass?

>W701ds
$1500? that's a lot for just rocket league.

JUST.

dat spacebar

looks a e s t h e t i c as fuck
You want it for actually use it? or just collect it?

jp keyboard is so cyberpunk material.

thx for the you's, now i can sleep

Ideally both. Maybe find another hdd and install linux instead of wiping the jp version of win 2000

try this one
ebay.com/itm/IBM-ThinkPad-R51-15-Notebook-1836BAU-Intel-Pentium-M-1-5GHz-BROKEN/272993768745?hash=item3f8fb25529:g:5ioAAOSwVqlZ8P0i

Purchase Advice please
>Budget
$400 or a little over
>Requirements
IPS panel, 4gb RAM minimum, Good WIFI component, Battery Life
>Location
United States

Been looking for awhile. Saw some Ideapads, idk if any good.

I broke the screen on my t420 and x220, what the fuck do I do now fellas?

please help, I'm actually pretty lost on what to do because most things i find on screen replacement are to upgrade and i dont want to fuck it up and some places tell me i need to solder and shit, im just not sure of what to do.

Fucking how? You fucking retard.

You sound like a nigger. Fuck off and kill yourself.

recently, i removed the whitelist on my t400. Any recommended wireless pcie cards?

>come home from work
>knock at the door 2 min later
>UPS with a package for my roomate
>no one ever send me anything
>feelsbadman.png
>roommate gets home and comes to see me
>hands me laptop and says he doesn't like it and asks if i could use it
>no, throw it in the trash, the fuck do you think?
Its an R61. Never had a think pad before. 2GB RAM is a bit of an issue, but other than that, not awful. What do?

Let my cousin's check them out this month when I went to visit family for Christmas. I had a couple emulators they really liked.
Thought they would be indestructible, they've taken a couple falls, but this was more than they could handle.

Throw it in the trash. Unironically.

I do need a laptop for the workvan though. Im sick of the piece of shit iPad that I'm supplied with. Im not expecting it to be much, just something without a virtual keyboard.
There's got to be some potential there. Haven't had the chance to mess with it tonight. Im sure it will me more than adequate as a better tool for network configuring and diagnostics. Better than that shit iOS device.

setting the bar pretty low there with iOS devices, but i'm sure its not that bad with a fairly minimalist linux distro

get a lightweight distro, install middleton's bios for sata3 r/w speeds, 3rd gen core2duo support and removed whitelist.
if possible, get an ssd, double the ram (ddr2 modules are more expensive than ddr3 due to availability).

For 9800 Anime Coins? Smash raw and don't pull out, user.

Just bought my 3rd x230.
I'm miserable guys. I love this machine but i have the poorest luck.
The 1st one just completely died on me. The mobo just fried itself.
The 2nd one which i'm currently using just has been suddenly turning off without warning so i'm thinking i'm having another mobo issue. The temps are great so its definitely not that.
Hopefully this 3rd x230 is my last one, else i'd probably just save up for a brand new x260 or something.

Don't get me started about the ipads. Everyone bitches about them but nothing ever changes. They are legitimately the result of hiring a female IT director. Dumb bitch probably thought they were better because they looked better.
I was go give slackware a try with this laptop. Build it to be very specific for my work needs. That acer was about go into the van. Had that sitting in a closet for 2 years. Im not very knowledgeable in regards to hardware, but that acer has 4gb ram and 1tb hdd. You can't just swap those out, can you?

Fucking rad

What laptop is this?

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:850

>put ssd in it and use it
or you could put it up on ebay and then get something a little better

Im probably just gunna run a 32bit distro and keep that ram as is. It doesn't need to be that powerful. All i need is a basic web browser, email app, and some real basic IGMP apps. My biggest issue it the lack of WAN support. Id hate to run it off my phones mobile hot spot. Hopefully one of those USB satellite cards will work with it.

Has anyone here ever done a T420 hackintosh?

I've finished setting up almost everything, but I can't get the bluetooth working. I know the WLAN card won't work without a bios flash, but I google isn't giving me any info on the bluetooth.

Please tell me how it goes, user.
I tried to do this before I broke my T420, but I couldn't even get the MacOS part of it. My friends thought I was putting viruses on their computers.

>tfw NT 4.0 is the only Windows OS that supports PowerPC

So far everything sans the bluetooth is working perfectly. If you ever really want to try it out and your soy boy friends won't let you download an installer on their mac I believe it can be done with a snow leopard install disc.

has anyone here done a FHD t420 conversion?

T420/430 or X220/230. Find some models with IPS screen, or even buy is separate. You have enough money for it.

Will I trash my X220 if I use it on the bed? I don't have too much space since I got my gayming rig occupying all the space on the desk and I don't have any other comfy place to use it in my room.

Someone link me to a cheap x201 replacement battery that lasts for ages.

Here you go:
ebay.co.uk/itm/Loving-Joy-Real-Feel-8-Inch-Wonder-Suction-Cup-Dong-Dildo-Sex-Toy-LUBE-INCLUDED/182222025393?hash=item2a6d4772b1:g:ovIAAOSwXrhXmTMQ

Use a laptop tray of some kind.

I don't think this is compatible with my computer

I am selling my W510. It is 100% working order. I am in USA. Let me know if anons want it.

>dude selling a T500 for the equivalent of 100$ near me
Damn, I don't even need it but this seems like a great deal.

>install new internal and external batteries
>do battery report
>full charge capacity is greater than design capacity

what

How good is the battery life on old thinkpads? Can I watch cartoons for hours on end without recharging?

With a fresh 9 cell battery it's fairly respectable compared to modern ultrabooks. My T520's battery is getting somewhat old and it still holds 6 hours of screen on time under a light load.

What do you guys think of the B series? I have a B560 that's pushing like 7 years, and I still have no reason to upgrade, it works perfectly. Just wondering what makes used Ts such a better option.

Forgot a picture. With a fresh 9-cell you'll get about 10 hours easily, 12+ if you get autistic with power management.

T series Thinkpads are built to be more robust than the consumer lineups and lower-end Thinkpads. The keyboard on older models is better as well, mainly in terms of its layout. Chiclet vs regular keyboards is subjective, but the layout on 20-series and earlier Thinkpads is objectively better than anything that came after and, from the looks of it, better than that of your B560 as well.

Is T530 with i5, 8GB ram, FHD and 320GB hdd good for 450$?
Also it is in perfect condition

breddy gud actually, X220t's are quite expensive so you did well my man, glad for ya
don't. get a gaymen laptop or a W-series, but please no games
No size? alright, get an X220/X230 with the IPS panel and buy a genuine 9cell battery, then get a nice wifi card (Intel Wireless-AC 7260) and thats it, you prob should get an SSD as well
yea its breddy damn gud, is it a wideview display? with all upgrades you would most likely end around $650, if you get 16GB ram, quad core i7, 2tb HDD and 240GB mSATA ssd

How can I check whether my T420 has a nvs 4200m? Preferrably without opening it up.

I looked at the shipping options in the US and there was a free option.

I just want a laptop that is aesthetic and with a high resolution display (higher than 2K). Does a ThinkPad that satisfies these criterias exist? Should I become a macfag instead?

Do you think they'll let me keep my x220 in prison?

My Christmas will be sad if user does not donate a think pad to poor me.

buy a mac, don't listen to the guys here. thinkpad displays suck fucking cockballs, and they don't look aesthetically pleasing. Though I have a T440p with IPS and I love it

so i bought an ultrabay for my T500 and fuck, it doesn't fit. Looks like its PATA on the outside, even though its SATA on the inside?

What? Is there a way to change this or did I buy the wrong thing.

x1 carbon 3rd gen has 1440p panels but yeah, if you want to have good display buy xps or macbook

p-please... just one...

ThinkPad raven ridge when?

also the trackpad is not working on this T500 with a fresh install of OpenBSD.

The trackpoint works, but trackpad not. Weirdly, the trackpoint STOPS working, if I even lay my finger on the trackpad.

This makes me think the trackpad is sending input, yes? What do I to fix this... anyone else have this problem? I asked in the #openbsd freenode but they didn't know either.

>Budget
Cheap, dirt cheap. Below 100~120€

>Requirements
Something that just works.
>Size
Don't really care
>Performance
Basically just writing, browsing, watching some videos (doesn't need to be 4k 666p 420HZ XXX 69" 180FPS).
Must not freeze every 5 seconds/lag terribly and not take 5 minutes to open notepad.
No overheating or dust-sucking reputation/problems

>Location
West Europoor

Just got a nice t440s for $180, almost mint condition.

T60 with an upgraded C2D.

Also don't forget about SSDs, even the cheapest ones make older machines become very responsive.

This is called "ebay global shipping". Usually it's cheaper (and faster) to ship it to a forwarder in US and they pay for re-mailing.

God I giggled hard

>1366x768 on 14"
>TN screen

I would never touch this.

Really isnt all that bad, how about you shut the fuck up before I make you? Dont hate on my bros computer I have a SICK t440s but I wouldnt shit talk on anyone elses ride man. GEEZ.

I have a problem. I have all these thinkpads, and only a few days ago I bought two X220's...now I see a fresh new X220 lisitng on ebay....sh-should I pull the trigger thinkbros? My credit card's on fucking fire.

> My credit card's on fucking fire.

> buy mildly fucked up TPs
> restore them
> resell
> bonus points for buying 00-series and librebooting them for a price increase
What's the problem?

I have bought 6-7 used x220s. Im constantly swapping parts around. I keep 1 together for home and one for on the go.

I have a 3rd for media. You're a pleb.

An SSD is always recommended for these old machines, but surprisingly they're still pretty good with mechanical hard disks too.

If you're doing the Linux thing, try an Xe ThinkPad, e.g. X120e.

Whoops, didn't realise you were talking about what to do with a TP you already have.

What are the IBM ones?

Just picked up a T420, anyone know if it's still possible to score one of those FHD boards?

C2D?

Core2Duo*

How the fuck do you use the Mike In as Line In? Fucking SmartAudio piece of shit software.

>inb4 Wincucks

Thanks for the laughs

could a w520 play rocket league?

Kill yourself.

So thinkpads are a great bang for the buck, but how about when it comes to desktops? I want to buy used

Business Laptop General, you dumb nigger. Fuck off.