VMware or VirtualBox?

Which is better?

Virtualbox is 100% free. Also never saw any company using Vmware, only virtualbox.

I want to do PCI-E passthrough.

Other urls found in this thread:

vmware.com/products/workstation-pro/workstation-pro-evaluation.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

AG352-4YED3-0852Q-LPXXT-MGKG4
Now VMware is free

VMware is just unbeatable in terms of features and performance, there's no other way to put it nicely but Virtualbox literally does everything you would ever need anyways.
If you can't afford or aren't willing to pirate vmware workstation pro 14 just use virtualbox.
Also I doubt you will find any serious benchmarks comparing both on Sup Forums so you better go check server related forums out there.

KVM/QEMU

Key is for workstation 14.x btw.

Idk man, which is better, gimp or Photoshop

fuck off with your "apples vs. onions" tier arguments.

>need to create an account in order to download a demo

fuck off

vmwares hypervisors are as shit as virtualboxes, it makes no difference

VirtualBox is shit.

You can't make copy and paste work across linux devices.

sudo apt instal virtualbox-guest-dkms

nothing happens

Hyper-V if you're running Windows 10.

I've never had to make an account.

>it's shit because I'm to dumb to use it
typical dumbfuck redditor/sudonigger.

Hyper-V

same

>unironically using microshit pajeetware

Eh?

vmware.com/products/workstation-pro/workstation-pro-evaluation.html

Any keys for vSphere?

None that I have. I just found that one on google a while back when I searched for VMware keys and it just so happens to still work.

That's because install is spelled with two L's

but instal isn't

this is why vmware is so much better, all the required modules are included in the linux kernel and you can use open-vm-tools without requiring any third party modules.

now that button downloads it. when i came on the site using ddg I had to register when clicking the exact same button

still: I need better hypervisors, not meme passthrough

>Also never saw any company using Vmware, only virtualbox
wat

What do you guys do on your virtual machines? I want to start using them but i dont know what for.

Minecraft server is always the answer if you don't know what to do with a VM.

test software on it before doing it on the host

for instance I test new file managers this way, that way I can make sure they work in a work environment including the stuff like 'open this folder in terminal' etc.

you can also get a USB to ethernet adapter, route that thing through to the VM and test weird network shit, because when you do that on the host, you might end without internet access and then you cannot debug

perfect for that

Should i run my vm on my hdd or my ssd?

>Also never saw any company using Vmware, only virtualbox.

t. basement lincuck

I have a first gen i7, 8 core, 2.93ghz spare old gaming PC just for Virtuals. Anyhow, bumped ram to 32 gb. put in a SATA add on card, 5 SSDs and 3 2 tb black drives. Now I have 4 dual core systems with 8 gb ram, 120 gb SSD.

I host multiple games for friends. Check to see if specific tricks work on an OS. See if my linux updates will break anything currently on main. Clonezilla backup server for monthly images of my PCs/laptops.

SSD, always. Get a cheap 120 gb if possible for just another drive.

Usually have a new instance for new software I want to run, so I can easily clone it if I want to test new things or make snapshots of it/have it seperated from other systems if something breaks.
For example, one VM for ownCloud, one for GitLab, one for general webserver stuff.
All of them running on Ubuntu Server 16.04, easily administrated through wokd/kimchi on the host.

hyperV or KVM
or none at all

vmware is old shit that is a pain in the ass to setup compared to virtualbox

HyperV is free and probably the best out there.

VMWare is by far the most used.

I'm a VMWare Engineer through their company partnership program, and I'd recommend a straight esxi build for serious stuff or HyperV for home labs etc.

Oh no, your answer says more about you than about the software
ever tried thinking and then ticking the correct box or do you just set shit up and say "hurr durr it dont work" - It took me 5 minutes to work out how to make copy-past work between windows and linux - windows and windows - and linux and linux
>HURR DURR I AM A NINCOMPOOP HURR
>DURR I( FIX MY MOMS GOMPUTER I MUST
>BE A GENIUS

Hyber-V has shit support for Linux guests on desktop, and if you're going to run a headless VM server I don't know why you wouldn't use esxi or kvm

OK so I got a job from a company that by necessity had to use an old version of linux as they were running physical terminals through a serial card in their server that only early versions of Red Hat would run. the technical details are too numerous to list but basically we couldnt setup that server to use an email server that would handle the certification handshake on their email systems. Also the directors of the company did not understand why their email systems should have worked for 20 years and then stop working. I setup a virtualbox linux server running Debian to collect the mail from their physical server and push it out using modern authentication protocols and certification processes

tl;dr
when technology is too old and cant be upgraded and theres no money to buy new hardware use a virtual server

manamanam boo boo be doo doo
manamanam boo boo be do

>PCI-E passthrough.
Unless you run ESXi, how do you do that? You can do it on VMWare Workstation?

>pci passthrough
is your only answer

i do programming/school related stuff in a linux vm. shitpost and play games in windows.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Will never, ever do this.

I run nextcloud on a virtual Ubuntu server. That way I can clone or move it wherever I want.