/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

stereophile.com/content/sony-playstation-1-cd-player-measurements
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what is the second best headphone behind the ma900?

Idol trash here. Catalonia edition.
What's your setup like, user?
(note: I do not recommend the pictured mdr-7506)

speaking of OP's pic the wait for my baby stax is killing me. how do I cope?

You could listen to HD600 in the meantime.
It ain't so bad.

but I already own

>Budget
€100, a little flexible
>Location
Germany
>Source
Smartphone, laptop
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Less comfortable is acceptable
>Sound signature
Preferably warm or v-shaped
>Past headphones
White samsung headphones that come with galaxy s5

To add, I want an upgrade to the Samsung headphones that is also preferably wireless.

Right now I have akg k612s as my primary headset with a pair of dt770s as backup. I'm using an e10k dac to power them. Would you guys recommend going with a schiit stack to upgrade my dac?

Holy shit now I can actually wear these for more than an hour. Top is stock earpad for reference.

Just you wait until you experience Sennheiser comfort. Such as the HD579 on sale, or the legendary HD600.

Don't worry sennshill, I already own a pair of HD650s as well

Loving my HD600 and singing wonders about them doesn't make me a shill.

>been listening to open back for a year
>my precious V6s sound like nigger bass now

Looking for something sealed for work. Was looking at the crossfades with an amp. Currently using Sony XB950BT at work, but I have hifiman 400i with an amp at home. I'd like something similar in sound to the hifiman.

>tfw desktop amp broke down so have to use portable setup

Endgame is in progress boys

>planar magnetic
>3k
>not an electrostat
>hifiman
>HIFIMAN
You fucked up, user.

I must be the only one in this general that finds the 650s uncomfortable. The top of my head hurts after a while and I find the pads on the AKGs 700s more comfortable

Im sorry I just really happen to like the way they sound

And no amount of pre-arranging the cups so that it's narrower below and wider above does help?
Also, how long have you had them for?

>Also, how long have you had them for?
February

>And no amount of pre-arranging the cups so that it's narrower below and wider above does help?
A bit, yes. I have a really hard time finding headphones that don't hurt after an hour. The 598s are probably the lighest and most comfortable i've worn. Everything else like DT990s, bunch of AKGs, HD650s plus a plethora of gaming headsets throughtout the years cause discomfort after just a while.

>Right now I have akg k612s as my primary headset with a pair of dt770s as backup. I'm using an e10k dac to power them. Would you guys recommend going with a schiit stack to upgrade my dac?

And you've compared it to other $3k offerings from different brands?
Tell us you did, user. Please.

>Do I need?
Probably not.

>get schiit stack?
>magni 3
Yes
>modi
No. Just use any dac. An uae23 if your motherboard is burst and you really need one.

The E10K already has a good DAC. All you should be upgrading, as long as you don't need the line out of the e10k for anything else, is a more powerful amp like the O2 or Magni 3

I think the E10K can power them just fine to be honest. Many people here will disagree though

the only other Phone i compared it to was the LCD-4 and it was just too dark for my taste

>buy comfy chink xb700 pads
>can't use them on any headphone unless I glue them on

If only I realized ahead of time.

That's far from enough research before spending $3k, user.
And that's just another planar... why not check out some electrostats?

>getting a Sony MDV6 as a Christmas Present for myself

lets see how these memes hold up against my ATH 500X

I was researching care for Electrostats and dust is a huge enemy and I have old carpet in my room so dust is a HUGE problem and its cheaper to get Planar headphones than to replace the floor and get electrostats as well as its a gamble as its hard to invest that much if i cant physically listen to them

Maybe it's the headphones then.. I use this setup mainly for gaming and it's a little hard to place shots correctly.. Something behind me will sound like it's in front of me or vice versa.

comfy Japanese made headphones coming through

Dt990's 250 ohm, FiiO E12k, and god damn, alpha pads bois.
Went from shitty razer gayming headset to this glorious setup.
Thx Sup Forums, best recommendation i've ever gotten.

My sister needs a pair of wireless, effay, closed back headphones .
Any good suggestions? I don't think she needs audiophile quality

you shouldn't be surprised that your cheap audio-gd garbage broke down

Initial goal:
>low budget (poorfag)
>Argentina
>goal is better PC gaming audio and durable headphones
>full-sized
>either open, semi or closed
>I've used a Logitech H390 for 5 years, I can take the pain
Reality:
>Argentina
>be poorfag
>everything electronic is overpriced (for rounding purposes headphones are 30 dollars above the american price)
>importing is a clusterfuck of legal papers + high taxes
>ergo, have to resort to local stores
>mfw

After hours of browsing with guides both local and from this thread I made a list of possible choices (local prices converted to USD):
>Sennheiser HD201 - $53
>Sennheiser HD202 - $66
>Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger (these are basically reskinned Takstar Pro 80 headphones + mic, even non-gamers seem to like/recommend it) - $71
>Shure SRH 240 A - $89
>Sennheiser HD205-ii - $100

I think I'll go for the Cloud Stinger, I heard they're nearly the same or better than the HD202, but I'm still not sure. I also can't find any proper reviews/comparisons about the SRH 240A or the HD205-ii versus the others on this list.
What would you recommend? Or should I get something else?

The stinger looks very different to the Pro 80, it was the Cloud and Cloud II that were Pro 80 OEM.

Out of those choices I would choose the Stingers

but as this guy said, they're not rebranded Pro 80's.

>Budget
$250 hard limit
>Location
United States
>Source
Cell Phone or PC
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
Preferably comfy but totally willing to sacrifice comfort for sound quality.
>Sound signature
I guess mild V shape? I'd rather not have anything be crazy pronounced but at the same time my etymotics are flat response and sound lifeless and dull. I listen to a lot of Rock (prog, classic, rockabilly etc.) Pop and Jazz primarily if that means anything to you guys. I don't want the bass to be too overbearing or the highs to sound shrill and tinny.
>Past headphones
etymotic hf5.

I've done some research myself, but my lack of knowledge when it comes to headphone buying keeps me from feeling like I'd want any one over another. thanks :^)

Anyone knows when the hifiman sundara come out?

Any recommendation for headphones that will be used for predominately watching chinese cartoons?

This, pretty v-shaped, i have eq'ed it so the mids are a bitter sharper and pronounced.
But sub-basses are eartickling nice, live perfomances are also amazing, especialy if you get high.

Beats

Just use the integrated crap in your monitor

I just ordered the massdrop hd58x, did i fuck up?

Amazonbasics for $15

But why not 6xx?

yes you paid $50 less to wait until june for a headphone that is significantly worse than the 6XX

I already have the 6xx, i just want something brighter

Look on the bright side. You could be living in even worse country with the prices for the stuff you listed being 50% higher while wages 30% worse, with import costs usually overtaking the original order price.

>significantly worse than the 6XX
Doesn't it use the same driver the 660 S uses?

no, it uses the same drivers as the hd 579, though even if it did have the hd 660 s drives it would be significantly worse, since the hd 660 s is.

>Budget
$100 or less
>Location
US
>Source
Pixel 2
>Type of headphone
Over/on ear, Bluetooth
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Reasonably, won't be worn more than a couple hours.
>Sound signature
Neutral
>Past headphones
HD600, DT770, Carbo Tenore, CB-1
Got this Pixel 2 because it was the cheapest option and I mostly use headphones with my PC, but figured I should get a bluetooth pair for mobile use. The Sennheiser hd 4.40 on canpicker look good, is there anything else worth looking into?

I'd go with the stingers.
>hd202
Are less neutral thus worse than hd201, and more expensive because people are retards and will buy it.

HD600.
Fidelity is the most important. In general.
It doesn't matter what you're listening to with them.

>LSR30X on sale for $180/Pair
Fuck, i already have 305s (that i got for $160/pair). Is it worth getting another set? How would you possibly use four bookshelf speakers at once?

anyone still using their original stack of schiit?

Cb-1 or HM5?

You can do a centerless surround setup

>He fell for the meme

is it actually a meme? The specs seem good.

I don't watch surround movies though

it does fucking not. 150Ohm vs 50Ohm drivers.

Games have surrond too

it's not the hd700 driver

Modi 2 is heavily influenced by the quality of the usb port is connected to
Magni 3 has a lot of power but that's about it, it's a warmer than neutral amp that distorts on bassy songs, also remember that doubling the power only increases the volume by 3db

According to massdrop the driver it's not used in any current sennheiser headphones
It's a 6xx driver modded to be 150ohm

and it isn't the hd579 driver either, they have nothing in common.

What are the second best headphones behind the HD600?

HD600s, the best headphones actually are the HD650s

This is the patrician taste, HD600 preferrers are from reddit

pretending you like "neutral" and lifeless sound won't make you a critical listener user

Any good headphones and dac for gaming?

he probably thinks its critical listening when it's very fatiguing

Beyerdynamic custom studio and hifime uae23 dac

What's up with the treble on the 650s? Some measurements show a big dip around 9KHz while others don't.

It depends on the seal and the amp

Modi 2 usb thing is irrelevant if you get the uber

depends how the headphones were placed on the measurement head
>and the amp
this is wrong and misinformation

this cable is really starting to bug me

At that price point you can buy the D30

Where can I buy nice 3.5mm to 3.5mm headphone cables?

Amazon

I love the Audio-Technica AIR series for FPS and the hifime uae23 dac is good if you are having issues with onboard sound.

veclan

I just want to avoid hearing the shit music blasting on the gym without looking like an autist wearing hearing protection equipment, any rec?

The only nice one I found there was only 4ft long

How do lower end heaphones like ATH-M20x compare to medium range gaming headsets like G35 or such?
Looking for new setup alternatives and always wondered whether there are noticeable sound quality improvements that would warrant buying headphones and a microphone separately.
Would there be much change in normal activities like gaming and anime?

Would that be an upgrade from e10k

Just heard that audiophiles love pic related, why?

Good overear headphones for working out?

the original one had a good cd player and it became an audiophile meme because the morons actually praised it as being 'audiophile quality'

Ape Escape

stereophile.com/content/sony-playstation-1-cd-player-measurements

My DT 990s broke along with my amp, so I don't have money to repair both of them and I don't have anything to drive 250ohm Beyers. So I want a cheap(ish) temporary replacement I can use as a second driver and occasional listen. I've narrowed down to several choices:
>Superlux 668b
>Superlux 669
>JVC RX700
I'm not a basshead, but I've heard that Superluxes are not just too bright, but also rather lacking on the lower frequencies, while RX700 is rather decent on lows, mids and highs. I don't care about super studio clarity flat sound, I just want a fun sound I can enjoy till I get the money to repair or replace 990s and amp. So far I'm thinking about rx700s over Superluxes, anyone want to share their experience with JVC model?

have you tried the dt990 without an amp

Yes, it's not working out

Because
>audiophiles
>intelligent
Pick one