DT 990 - does it really have a good bass?

I want to buy either the DT770 or the DT990.
The DT990 is open, the DT770 is closed. Yet, they say the DT990 has just as much bass. But how?!

Ps.: I use an Audio Technica AD700X and it has absolutely no bass whatsoever. And it's an open headphone. So..

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sZQzOIAKTqI&feature=youtu.be&t=127
reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/45pgjg/output_impedance_on_the_creative_soundblaster_z/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

dt770 is much better. I own the dt990 and the treble is totally unbearable. If you eq down 7k and 14k it becomes some what listenable but you need a considerable amount of power amp wise to be able to eq it to the extent it needs.
The dt770 has some of the best sub bass and bass in general at that price, it really is a pretty good headphone.
>>/hpg/

I don't get all the complaints about the DT 990's treble. I could see how it would be fatiguing at loud volumes. But an normal listening levels it's great.

Sure.
Which impedance?
There is a Sound Blaster Z card in the PC, so it has roughly a ~200ohm driver.

How does the 880 compare to those two?

its 'semi open' and basically they say its the worst out of the 3. from what I read in these past hours. but yeah, I dont own any of these.

You don't seem to understand how any of this works.
Open headphones are always better, because sound goes out instead of bouncing around inside of cup. You use closed headphones if you want not to hear outside, and outside not to hear you, period.
It has as much bass because it has drivers that were designed to play with V-shaped sound signature.

It's fatiguing at any level. What other (non V-shaped) headphones have you owned?

There is no such thing as semi-open, it's marketing term. Headphones are either open or closed. And dt880 is actually the most bearable headphone out of 3, but only after EQ. dt150 are the best Beyer headphones.

sitting here with 990's right now, you are just an idiot. They are open back studio monitors. They are not supposed to have good base or even be particularly enjoyable to listen with they are designed for mastering in a silent studio at 80db playback. The open back design is specifically there to lower the amplitude of base frequencies.

cranking these so the base is loud is sure as fuck going to be fatiguing because everything else is going to be that much louder.
Also if you are putting an eq on these A) you just bought the wrong headphones to begin with B) have completely wasted your money

>You don't seem to understand how any of this works.
I don't know man, I spent like a week researching before my Audio Technica replacement and every site said that open ones have less bass.

^ yeah this is what I heard.
If you want a headphone for studio, or production, you go with open ones.

But guys, please help, which impedance I buy?
The Sound Blaster said to have like ~200, which is more than the highest DT770 Pro (70). But is it worth getting the higher impedance ones? Or do I just go with the lowest ones?

>calling me an idiot
>base
The treble never bothered me until I got another pair of headphones and now it's literally painful.
Bass response is fine.
The dt990 isn't even worth $10 and the dt770 is objectively superior.

Best headphone out of the three but they're all shitty retard treble cannons.
wrong
right
Can you even read? No where in that post does it say anything about eqing the bass up, just 7k and 14k which, assuming you don't know("base") are treble.
dt990 is already nigger bass as fuck no one is going to eq the bass UP but the dt770 does have superior subbass response and square wave measurements.
You spent weaks reading subjective impressions. The only good thing about the dt line is the comfort. All three headphones are shit these days. Get an hd600 and an fx audio dac x6 and you'll be done shopping for headphones.

I listen to drum and bass and wave. The bass sounds pretty balanced to me, not too soft not too loud, just right.

My EQ settings arent flat and I usually turn treble down at higher frequencies due to some producers having heavier claps. This is for all of my headphones and not specific to dt990s however.

Im very happy with my dt900s, ill probably be in the market for custom studio one's in the near future as Ive gotten a good 5+ years of use on my 990s and theyre beginning to show signs of wear (ive used the fuck out of them desu).

>Get an hd600
yeah but it's also open isn't it? :/

If you want a closed back get the dt770 80 ohm and call it a day. great headphone

so, basically the highest, 80ohm ones?
alright, that was the biggest question I had. friend said I need the lowest impedance ones, but I really have no idea which is better. theoretically the sound blaster can drive it, albeit not sure how loud. don't really wanna go deaf tho, but I do enjoy loud music sometimes.

The sound blaster can drive the 80 ohm no problem. It couldn't drive the 250ohm or 600ohm.

and what do you gain from a higher impedance one in layman terms? (I have a Huawei P10 Plus phone, doubt it could drive it. I heard LG V series has Quad DAC tho.)

I own the dt770 80ohm thanks to /hpg/ i concir these things are great! You cant go wrong with those, user.

thanks mate.

btw you both mean the 770 Pro, right?

I have them, I really like them.

> 900
> strong bass
REEEEEEEEEEEEE
stop this meme!

It's the amazon page

yeah, I found it on some other site, but its just so annoying. you cannot have much bass on open ones. it's more for studio purposes. it may have relatively big bass for an open one, but you just can't compare the two.

It doesn't matter. Dt770, 80ohm.

I use them everyday, listening to rap, dub, jazz ...
They are really comfy, and the bass are well balanced in my opinion.

Nothing. Higher impedance headphones pair better with audio sources with higher output impedance, which is majority of higher grade audio stuff.
Apparently there are some differences between those in terms of sound, but very minor. People tend to favor 600 ohm ones for dt990 but I wouldn't worry about that.

You are clueless as fuck, stop posting. Go on any website that measures headphones and check frequency response of beyerdynamic headphones. I have no clue where did you got this idea but it's completely wrong. Driver is responsible for sound signature, if driver is engineered to elevate low frequencies, it will and it will be bassy.

>but I wouldn't worry about that.
thanks

>You are clueless as fuck
Thanks and fuck you. After having a 'premium' open headphone like the 700X, I will never ever fucking buy this "open can have good bass" meme. It just does not have proper bass. Great if you make music, do sound engineering, or just enjoy classical songs or whatever. But for electronic music for example, it's trash.

how does Sup Forums feel about audio equipment without bass knobs?

youtube.com/watch?v=sZQzOIAKTqI&feature=youtu.be&t=127

Holy shit you are triggering me. Did you fucking do what I just told you? No, you didn't but fair enough, I will do it for you. Pic related, frequency response of dt990.
700X are neutral headphones, they will have less bass because that's how they were designed. It has nothing to do about being open or closed, in general closing off cup does not fucking magically upgrade your driver to sound differently, it introduces reverberations and so called "well effect" but that's about it. And as a side note less bass does not mean bad bass. And more bass does not mean good bass.
Also 700X are not premium headphones. And I'm pretty sure you were not driving them properly, which resulted in shittier bass response.

DT 990 Pro are awesome and have great bass and none of the Beyer treble problems. Don't listen to these retards.

>Industry standard along MDR v6 and a few others
>All three headphones are shit these days.
It's one thing not to like them, it's another to say they are "shit these days", HD600 only redeeming quality is being somewhat neutral and even then it's subjective.

> buy dt770
> buy dt990
> buy dt990 pro

So I will just have to buy 3 headphones at once? ;_;

hd600 is objectively the best open back dynamic headphone. It measures the best thus it is the best.
Nigga wants to listen to music not pretend to be a producer. mdr v6 sucks too.

>700X
>Premium
>Good bass
It's like buying a Hyundai and assuming every car, from the beetle to a Lamborghini sucks based on your experience.

>objectively the best
And why exactly?

people even here said the open 990 sucks in bass. only one user says it's good.

it's fucking mixed messages here...

Want my personal suggestion? Test it and take your own conclusions, more than half of the /hpg/ posters never even listened to the headphones they talk about and only assume to know them based on measurements. Always test the headphone and take everything here with a grain of salt.

Your mom's basement is not a music industry. Beyerdynamic headphones are made with studio needs in mind. Elevating highs is good for catching sibilants but complete shit for home listening. Headphones for home listening are supposed to be relaxing, not ear piercing.
And as a side note, Beyer has more professional headphones, that are actually specifically created for studios, such as dt100/150/250. Why are you not using those?
You are not an audio professional, stop acting like you are and like you know what the fuck you are talking about. You don't.

>Always test the headphone and take everything here with a grain of salt.
well, I am in the EU so I could send them back in 14 days but it feels bad to be an ass to the seller. I mean I would just test them at the shop - but no shop offers testing really.
only seen one Denon shop that had headphones and speakers out in the open that you could test/try.

>but no shop offers testing really.
Where the fuck do you live? I'm from Poland and it's hard to find audio shops that don't allow testing. Why the fuck would audio shop not allow testing their things in first place.
That aside, testing in shop is pretty worthless, the only way to really test headphones is by using them for at least few days, your brain has to adjust to sound signature of headphones before you can actually get any real conclusion without being influenced by your previous headphones.
Returning items is your right as a consumer, it doesn't matter if you are an ass or not. They are running business and have to abide laws. They are being ass to you by charging you extra for things they bought cheaper, but they don't care, because that's how they make money.

Sure, I will order one of them.

reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/45pgjg/output_impedance_on_the_creative_soundblaster_z/

What the fuck, 22Ohm, so it won't power any?
Why is it so hard to pick a headphone, fuuck..

>Headphones for home listening are supposed to be relaxing
Subjective, there's no rule about how you are supposed to hear things, specially since music is produced to sound somewhat good from any source. Interesting how you guys like talking about the industry as if you knew the production process but think music only sounds good on your preffered equipment.
>Beyer has more professional headphones
With more specific applications in mind, but sure, there are many good options to pick from them.
>You are not an audio professional
Funny, i'm actually graduated in Audio Engineering, worked on classical records and am currently working on my masters degree, but hey, ad hominem much? ;^)
I don't really see how returning an intact item to the store is a problem, read about the headphones that might interest your, order two or three models, test them and keep your favorite. It's always a bit of a shot in the dark with your first headphone (unless you have friends from whom to borrow).
There a few safer options in certain price ranges though, keep a list of the headphones you see in these threads, if people are praising or bashing them too hard there's a chance they are actually worth checking out.

>Funny, i'm actually graduated in Audio Engineering, worked on classical records and am currently working on my masters degree,
any retard can get a degree in audio engineering. t. see me

It will. Impedance is impedance. It has nothing to do with how much power audio source produce. It is kind of related, due to something called impedance mismatch, this causes loss of power. But I wouldn't worry about this in this case.
What actually matters is sensitivity of headphones (how much db spl you can create per mW of power). This sound card definitely does not provide a lot of power, it is powered by pci-e and doesn't have additional power connector, but it should be good enough for 80 ohm dt770.
Amplifiers that can actually power headphones that are power hungry always have power plug, my Aune x1s for instance produces 200mW at 300 ohm.

Funniest part is that i actually know what's wrong with some of my point, but you are too clueless to even notice that, but please, keep focusing on the ad hominem, surely it's easier for you than actually refuting anything i said so far.

>Subjective, there's no rule about how you are supposed to hear things,
Actually you got me with this one, agree.

>Interesting how you guys like talking about the industry as if you knew the production process but think music only sounds good on your preffered equipment.
I found by trial of error that neutral headphones with midrange bump, such as hd600 are the most relaxing for me to listen to.

you are replying to at least 2 people, I don't know what I'm talking about, I do own a set of 990's, I do have a degree in audio engineering.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying HD600 is bad or anything, it does sound relaxing, i'm just saying that what sounds bad for some sounds good for others and, whithing reason, everything should sound at least ok if the mixing/mastering was done right.
Sorry user, debating with Anons can be confusing some times.
Also, relax dude, as long as your ears (brain actually) are used to how a headphone sounds it should be good, it's the same old "a good musician with a shitty instrument makes better music than a shitty musician with a great instrument" deal.

DT770 are very good. Probably my favorite pair of headphones. Haven't heard anything about DT990, but I know opens aren't for me. I'd say DT770.

Most of the dt serious are all completely flat neutral sound with treble cannons
Buy some used T1 Teslas second gen on eBay for like 400 for good doub

>calling everyone an idiot
>saying the 990s are studio monitors
>open back
>studio monitors
>with no midrange
You’re a moron

>m-muh bass
Are you black or just 15?

> implying
I enjoy all kinds of music, edm/electronic included. Stop trying so hard to fit in.

>Stop trying so hard to fit in.
What the fuck are you talking about

>WHY YA WEAVE SMELL LIKE HOTDOG WATAH

Chortle'd.

I've owned both DT990 and DT770. I last used the DT990 years ago so my memory is hazy, but I remember liking their bass more than the bass of the DT770s that I use now. The DT990s were certainly more bassy. I don't actually feel much base in the DT770s, which is what I was expecting based on the reviews. Maybe it's because I've got the 80 ohm version instead of the 250 ohm version?

I am actually kind of underwhelmed by these DT770s. They even sounded incredibly canny when I first put them on. There's more bass in headphones like the ATM30s (although please factor comfort into your decision before you haphazardly go out to buy M30s).

However, I do remember the DT990's treble being painful to listen to depending on the source, but you could also turn the volume down and not lose the bass, so I managed.

No treble pain with the DT770s.

I have more fond memories of my DT990 Pros, but I hesitate to buy them again, because the shitty coiled cord died out in 1 year. I'm scared to try other brands, because comfort is a real issue, and the beyerdynamics are really good comfort-wise. Ugh, what to do?

>Ugh, what to do?
Exactly.
I should have started a strawpoll at the OP post, fuck.

>and the beyerdynamics are really good comfort-wise
So are most other decent headphones. AKG k6 and k7 series are more comfortable than any beyers. Sennheisers hd5xx are very comfortable. hd6x0 are comfortable after some stretching period, not so much initially. There are cheaper headphones such as shp9500 which are comfortable as fuck.
I don't know that many headphones that are flat out uncomfortable to be honest. Mostly some planars and shit like ath m40x.

Polls don't help. Really, the only solution is to buy a bunch of headphones and return the ones that you don't like.

I was passed down a DT990 to try out. That thing has no clarity and the sound stage is narrow as fuck everything just sounds like clusterfuck garbage. Went back to my HD600 immediately.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. I decided to return the DT770s and I bought a HD600 and HD650. I didn't realize they had the Y cable AND were detachable. That's a big win in my book.

yeah but the HD600 is 1.5x and the HD650 is 2-3x as much...

HD650 is the same price as the HD600 on Amazon right now.

But I'm an employed programmer in the bay area, so I live in a bubble where $300 doesn't mean anything.

Nigga get the HD6XX for $199 USD

Why is all the talk about DT770s or 990s? I have the 880 and I think it's great. Comfiest fucking headphones I have ever worn, too.

My cord shit itself too but only after about 3 years and it turns out they're easy to disassemble and they sell replacements so it was a 5 minute fix. So I guess I can't complain too much about it.

What do you mean replacements?

I did disassemble my DT990s. The cable split into 3 ends and were soldered onto 3 metal tabs. The only option I saw was to resolder the cable, which I tried but failed miserably at. The 3 metal tabs fell off.

Mine didn't fail at the solder joints, the wires had broken inside the cable right before the stress relief thing. I bought a new cable and soldered it on, I didn't think it was hard but I guess I have a bit of practice.

i own 990s should i feel bad

if user on Sup Forums makes you doubt a headphone you enjoy maybe you weren't too into it in the first place.

I own K7XX and M50's.
No.

Dt990 Pro 600 pretty great but many treble and I don't think I need studio monitoring equipment so much. I will get another set someday, maybe ...

Amp properly.

I need replacement pads for these fuckers, they are great, anyone know where to get authentic for decent price?