How do we bring them back?

Do surgeons even carry them anymore? Also, obsolete tech you'd like to see make a comeback

Other urls found in this thread:

neo900.org/news/neo900-update-2017-09-03
talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91142&page=301
irclog.whitequark.org/neo900/2017-12-10#;
twitter.com/AnonBabble

These are important because you cant send a message of numbers to a phone.

what? are you saying you can't send an sms that's nothing but numbers? because you can.

>These are important because you cant send a message of numbers to a phone.
?????????????????????????????

BBS boards, oh wait Ajit might help us

my local hospital uses them to page people who are on-call because cell reception isn't reliable with every carrier, and there is a connection/dial time with cell phones. They run on local hardware, no a cell carrier.

I'd like to see analog rotary phones back.
Big comfy handsets were GOAT.

I was too young for the beeper, but didn't it just show you the number that called you? I was under the impression it was just a caller ID machine

I didn't think you could formulate your own numerical messages and send those

I've seen high ranked officers using them in the army, still this year. Because phones can't be trusted in offices and those don't have microphones.

this was the peak of smart technology desu

I'm aware of their status among leet hackrz, but how to make them commercially viable again?
What's something they can do for the everyman that cell phones cannot?

I'd like a workable solution by the end of the day, Eastern Standard

you could send 80085 to your friends

>there is no way to embed a mic in a pager

Pagers definitely are more security friendly.

minidisc. still use them, still love them.

I like old phones as well, but I enjoyed dial pad

a new cartridge-based gaming system would force developers to get creative for once, I think I heard some rumblings about one a few years back. It would have to be kept low-cost, no more than 20 USD per cartridge

I guess DS and 3DS count, but I'd rather see a proper console throwback with no internet connectivity

Phones with slide out qwerty keyboards where the best. I hate touch keyboards, they fucking suck.

what phone is this?

>I hate touch keyboards
well, yeah

How do you miss a point that badly

>mfw that's what I purchased a Blackberry Classic two years ago
also keeps me from wasting my time on bullshit apps. and the hub is bretty good.

You mean the fucking switch?

not. at. all.

completely deprecated by a better thing in every single way possible
meh, people still make small games on pcs

Do gentlemen even ride them anymore? Also, absolute vehicles you'd like to see make a comeback.

Thanks for the cuckle

>meh, people still make small games on pcs
let me expand, an affordable console for normalfags and kids with four wired controller ports, no logging in, no form of connectivity, multiplayer titles designed for local play, a controller that does nothing special save for playing the game

a logical successor to N64 maybe, without the volatile media of Gamecube. The selling point will be the simplicity without being held back like the mini-nes systems

It's the Nokia N950, was just released for devs for Nokias upcoming Nemo OS which was going to their answer to Andoird and IOS, before they partnered with Microsoft to go with the Windows Phone OS, didn't turn out that well for them as WindowsPhone failed.

I'm all for that. It would be awesome. Except for the wired controller part. It should support both wired and wireless. Kids + wired controllers = broken console/controller

It's gotta be cheap, like really cheap.

yeah, I mentioned that in the cost would have to combat piracy, but since the audience is normatives, it shouldn't be that big of an issue

as long as it didn't drive up the cost, I want the controllers to be easily replaceable

You can get a big comfy headset for cellphones you know.

MeeGo* not Nemo, fuck I'm a moron where did I get Nemo from?

>as long as it didn't drive up the cost, I want the controllers to be easily replaceable
Very true, then it should come default with wired controllers with wireless as an option or secondary purchase.

It was not a partnership but a hostile action. Check who their CEO was before they hired him and where he went back after selling their cellphone business to MS.
Also Maemo or Meego not Nemo.

Vacuum tubes. My God, please bring back vacuum tubes.

>Easy to replace
>EMP/EMI/Carrington Event proof
>Heats the entire house
>SEXY AF

Oh that sucks even more then. Stephen Elop should an hero himself.
Yeah I corrected myself here I had Maemo on the N900, what a sweet little device that was.

I hate to be that douche, but tube amp sound cannot be emulated, so yes

another reason to keep cartridge costs down is lack of rental stores, which was a necessity in the old days due to games being as expensive as they are now (more expensive when adjusted), and I don't know if Gamefly type services are any good

this
a shame that the only smartphone with keyboard nowadays is a blackberry that will lose support in few months and that not even chinkphones have those

>security

Any text sent across the paging network is broadcast, to everyone, in plaintext.

Nixxy tubes, i know theyre still around but theyre expensive asf for what they are. They are just so nice looking though will be a shame when theyre all gone

But we still do have them.

putting in some encryption is no problem

Someone will start reproducing these when it starts to become viable to do so, right now it is still cheaper to get new-old stock than it its to make tooling to remake 50+ plus year old tech

What is Qatbowling?

Yeah it sucks, I've been considering picking up an old Nokia phone with a keyboard, and then use the Dragonbox Pyra, whenever that will come out...

*Nixie

I just miss microphones actually being pointed at your mouth.
I also miss microphones that were a usable size instead of pinhole cuck mics

you a drug lord or something?

How do we bring back that transparent blue plastic?
That is the epitome of late 90s early 2000s

>guy: Im bringing back nixie tubs for everyone so we can have cool stuff again :DD
>guy two years after epic ad campaign: goy, its $2,9999.97 plus tip for each tube
fuck that guy so fucking much. Why arnt the chinks ripping him off yet?

Something I miss is when there use to be way more selection for hardware. You could get really unique hardware. But now it's just tablets, smartphones and laptops, all of which feel very much the same. I miss the PDAs, Pocket PCs, UMPCs and all the weird but often awesome hardware that would be available.

the gemini pda should be awesome when it's released

I know several people who still use these when on-call here in Canada. They have fewer deadzones than cellphones here (eastern ontario), and so allow you to be reliably in contact.

I used to have a pager when I started working as a criminal defense lawyer. Superseded by smart watches in most cases.

>when I started working as a criminal defense lawyer.
stop defending niggers

You can still get a pager. The problem is that due to their broadcast dependent nature service is fucking expensive, only covers small areas (sometime you have to pay per section of the city you live in rather than just one price for full coverage of your city), and lacks any type of security whatsoever to keep other people from reading messages left for you (though that part could be fixed). Pagers sadly are dead end tech.

Dear god, this. Why can't electronics be offered with translucent cases anymore? You think they'd at least be offered for nostalgia catering with the other shit companies do for those reasons today, but companies don't even do that.

What, you don't like basically every portable device just being a slate of whatever size happens to be appropriate for that application? Also, you missed all the discreet hardware options that used to be common rather than just using a smart phone, such as MP3 players with actual physical controls that you could use without taking the device out of your pocket.

>niggers
No worries Varg. Very few here in Austria and I'm not a public defender anyway.

stop defending abbos

They're still around user. You can decode their traffic with sdrsharp and pdw. The frequencies they use don't get blocked by buildings etc as easily as mobile phone signals, and SMS isn't guaranteed a timely delivery (SMS originally just used spare capacity on GSM, I remember't days when text messages were free until they became hugely popular.) I see factory status reports, server error messages, emergency services callouts, organ transplant offers and rail fault information fairly regularly.

Could a smaller console maker come into the market and have a niche similar to the switch/3ds with a cart based system?
Assuming you already had some games/developers lined up for it?

No - there's barely any market and what there is, is getting saturated by Nintendo and mobile phones pretty fucking good.

I think the GBA was the peak of handheld design, of course it would be better with modern hardware, but I appreciate how It read and wrote just the cartridge that was inserted rather than having to deal with things like launch menus and internal storage or any non-physical software.

the pyra will be better.

Doctor user here, we still use pagers.

Fairly sure we're one of the only markets left for the things.

>cell reception isn't reliable with every carrier
Where do you live? 90s Africa?

I always wanted one of these, but never did get one. I agree, the diversity of hardware used to be so much better than it is now. I miss that.

>pyra
holy shit i hadn't seen this before looks great desu would be nice if it had a 1080p screen but i guess it's worth it for the extra battery life

>this $500 UMPC with a processor that will be 5 years out of date vs flagship smartphones and 6 years out of date vs tablets by the time it actually comes out (assuming that happens halfway through next year) will be better
They both seem rather shitty honestly.

They made easy to swap out the processor and ram for that reason.

Tune into your local flex

Anyway hostpitals still use pagers yes

I hate how everything has to be fucking aluminum and glass because muh applel did it

I got a keyone to replace my passport
I miss it sometimes

You can still use these on a landline, only just to receive calls and not to dial out.

hospitals use pagers to avoid RF interference,which may affect electronic medical devices working

>2 hands holding the phone
>taken with another camera
were you holding the camera in your mouth or something?

thats called having friends

>four wired controller ports
God only ordains two

actual weighty corded phones

>Nokia N950
I need one. The C.S'test in me is screaming for this

Tbh if you just made it so you had to use a command line to navigate to websites but kept the display of the websites the same that would make the internet much less toxic

neo900.org/news/neo900-update-2017-09-03
>Innovation is not dead, just slow

>talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91142&page=301
>irclog.whitequark.org/neo900/2017-12-10#;
Development's been slow but seems like theirs still goin.

Amazon still uses real pagers, even though they have apps now as well it's mandatory that people carry the pager just in case cell reception is shoddy.

I'm oncall right now, AMA.

I still carry one, firefighting as SMS's are too unreliable.

>organ transplant offers

yeah but I'm waiting for the DragonBox Pyra instead, it has up-gradable soc, ram and internal memory.

I hope for your sake that English isn't your first language.

How can i get a job with a SJW organization that pushes transvestism that still somehow gets away with providing sweatshop conditions to minority workers?

they're definitely still used by hospital staff, even receptionists

I agree, both for the nostalgia kick and also to force developers to complete their games before publishing them. I can't believe the idiocy of gamers community that let this happen nowadays.

Yes they do, and in general the system uses POCSAG to encode the messages. Infact get an SDR sit around 900mhz and get close to a hospital with a pocsag decoder plugin.

I have one of these in my room, which I use daily, and I can tell you that you absolutely can make calls on them.

What country do you live in?

US

Just sign up for pagerduty and get a cheap phone. Or get a job with a company that requires on call shifts and provides you with a phone stipend.

>Or get a job with a company that requires on call shifts and provides you with a phone stipend.
wouldnt recommend it, not worth it

>rewritable blu-rays in minidisc form factor