What's it like to switch from Win7 to Linux?

My laptop suffered a catastrophic blow sometime during early december and am now stuck on my mother's macbook. Thinking on switching to Ubuntu Mate. Have a bunch of questions:

What's it like?
What do I have to prepare?
Had a 6 yr old Sony VAIO w/ Win7 preinstalled. Don't have Win7 license and don't have the money to buy one.
Can I still transfer all my files from a WD My Passport?
I won't be able to use iTunes for linux, will I? What's a good replacement for it?
What's a good honeyview replacement?

Sorry for all these questions.

Other urls found in this thread:

clementine-player.org/
youtu.be/NBE-uBgtINg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>What do I have to prepare?
wifi might not work out of the box
you might not find lots of programs that you used on windows
you will have to use the terminal
it may look a bit out dated
shit will break every now and then even on ubuntu
you will learn a lot of new stuff that are kinda neat
2/10 for workhorse
8/10 for learning about your computer instead of it being an expensive facebook machine

>What's it like?
It's Ubuntu, so the user experience should be pretty smooth.
Well I don't know what all your circumstances are, so I can't say. The only issue I could think of might be the Wifi driver, but I don't know if that's an issue today.
>Can I still transfer all my files from a WD My Passport?
It depends. Was it formatted as NTFS or FAT32?
FAT32 should work like a charm, but if you formatted it as NTFS, I'm not sure how good the Loonix support for that is.
Other anons, can you clarify on that one?
>I won't be able to use iTunes for linux, will I? What's a good replacement for it?
Try Clementine. Seems like a solid choice.
clementine-player.org/
>honeyview
Ubuntu MATE comes with an image viewer preinstalled that should work fine. I don't know whether there's a Sup Forums approved image viewer, but give the default a shot and if it doesn't work out, you can look for alternatives from there.

I wish you luck!

>you will learn a lot of new stuff that are kinda neat
>8/10 for learning about your computer instead of it being an expensive facebook machine
Also these.
Learning is fun!

Not him but I'm getting a t420 with Windows 7. I'm going to install Ubuntu which will create an automatic dual boot. Is dual booting fun or does it come with some issues? Also does fat32 work fine on Windows?

>Is dual booting fun or does it come with some issues?
I've heard some horror stories about it going wrong, but i've also heard of some great experiences too. My advice: Do your research. A lot.
>Also does fat32 work fine on Windows?
fat32 works on literally anything.

>What's it like?
Awesome
Fast. Like really, really fast.
In 2015 I had the "pleasure" to work on a P4 Machine (like: Pentium 4) they had some super-slim Linux Mint on it, less than 40mb memory footprint. It was not pleasant but it was possible to get work done with it. Imagine Windows Vista or 7 on such a machine: impssible.
Backup of your most important files, just in case. Most likely nothing.
>Can I still transfer all my files from a WD My Passport?
Is it encrypted? If not: yes of course. If yes: Ask WD is how to use it under Linux.
>I won't be able to use iTunes for linux, will I? What's a good replacement for it?
Thats a feature. Use VLC and Bittorrent instead. Completely free.

Do I have to shrink the windows partition size? Or if Windows is installed I can just install Ubuntu alongside Windows 7?

Lots of effort to get really basic shit to work. An unhelpful community full of elitists and retarded pooinloos. Non-working caps-lock. Screen tearing. Shitty file picker.

>retarded pooinloos
that's windows
>Non-working caps-lock
overexaggerated and also fixed
>Screen tearing
overexaggerated and either fixed on some DEs, fixable by installing compton, or will be fixed with Wayland.
>Shitty file picker
fixed

is ubuntu 16.04 worth installing?

You've literally never been on an Ubuntu forum because if you had you'd have noticed the insane amount of Indian people answering support questions.
>th-th-that doesn't count, it was exaggerated!!!!!
epic damage control, bro! go rub your tiny dick to some amputee hentai, you obese virgin

yep!

>You've literally never been on an Ubuntu forum because if you had you'd have noticed the insane amount of Indian people answering support questions.
I personally don't pay attention to the race of the posters. I don't find it to be particularly relevant.
>epic damage control
did you miss the part about them being fixed, or is your reading comprehension that bad?
>amputee hentai
why did these words get me hard?

do you know how i would make ubuntu have the dot dock like pic related.

I think that's GNOME.
Ubuntu 16.04 is the last one that still uses Unity.
If you want GNOME, you can install it with the package manager.
17.10 will also come with GNOME by default.

ubuntu forums is by far the most unhelpful place tho
no one who makes threads uses the search function there, flooding it with the same questions over and over.
If you have a real problem you find exactly 1 thread about it where the conclusion is "idk what I did, it works now"
and if you make a new one you get pointed to that thread and yours get locked, because the replyer can't read for shit.

I'm not saying linux is bad or ubuntu is bad, but their forums ARE total garbage.

if you want to use ubuntu or its derivates, don't rely on their tech support.
Luckily there are other distros with better forums/wikis you can rely on

If you don't play games, linux will be an upgrade
You will need a usb drive and an ethernet connection
Your wd passport will work after you have linux, just don't plug it in untill you have a useable install.

You don't need itunes. Use clementine or amarok or any of a million great free programs
Use whatever image viewer your linux distro comes with. Its probably decent.

Linux is easy once you get used to using text files and simple terminal commands. Good luck user, I recommend ubuntu

>NTFS, I'm not sure how good the Loonix support for that is.
I'm on Debian. I have an external HDD with NTFS I keep torrents/music/videos on, works fine. I just had to install a package (ntfs-3g) ubuntu might have it by default.

>I'm not saying linux is bad or ubuntu is bad, but their forums ARE total garbage.

The problem is with you not with their forums

Linux is a kernel, installed in systems such as GNU and Android.l

>what's it like!
The whole Unix philosophy is gonna be the first thing to get used to as it's radically different than windows. It's a little disorienting at first but after a week it's good, however most simple stuff should be good, it's Ubuntu.
>What do I have to prepare for?
Prepare to fix stuff when it breaks. Shit breaks less than on Windows once the initial hurdles are overcame (wifi and graphics) but the way you go about fixing stuff is very different, not always harder, but very different and it will take some getting used to. Arch wiki and Ubuntu forums are your best friends. Also prepare to use terminals. A lot. It may seem intimidating but they are often your best friend. Also installing software is extremely different and usually involves a package manager which are simple and fucking amazing, but hard for someone straight from windows to understand.
>WD my passport
May be a little painful, but should work
>iTunes replacement
If you wanna be a 1337 h4x0r use mpd and ncmpcpp, it is a pain in the ass for a newbie to set up but getting used to the Unix philosophy will help. If you want something that justwerks, use Clementine.
>Honeyview replacement
Feh

no games

in 2017 ntfs works out of the box on linux, with full read-write support. be careful not to write files with invalid characters (for examples colons or semicolons) because it will read and write fine with linux, but will be inaccessible in windows.

>What's it like to switch from Win7 to Linux?
youtu.be/NBE-uBgtINg